Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,273 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:15 AM

Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas (12689 Views)

BREAKING: Heavy Gun Fire As Hausa Okadas Engage Lagos Police / 300 Taxis To Replace 'Okadas' In Bayelsa State / FG Denies Banning Okadas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by ifeegee(f): 12:27pm On Oct 10, 2012
@ mekaboy,those bikes represent lives that would have been killed or maimed as a result of their recklessness, thereby denying families all the aforementioned excerpt the negative part,it does not take a rocket science to obey a simple law.Therefore,if they can't stand the heat they should quitely go else where.
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by naptu2: 12:35pm On Oct 10, 2012
1) Okada riding has not been banned in Lagos, rather the law says you should not ride against the flow of traffic, obey traffic lights, do not ride on the sidewalk, do not ride on the expressway, get a rider's permit, etc. You can ride your okada and earn a living for your family if you obey the law.

2) However, motorcycles should only be destroyed after a judicial process (especially when the suspect wants to contest the charges). The government should not seize and destroy motorcycles arbitrarily.
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by mekaboy(m): 12:38pm On Oct 10, 2012
ifee-gee:
@ mekaboy,those bikes represent lives that would have been killed or maimed as a result of their recklessness, thereby denying families all the aforementioned excerpt the negative part,it does not take a rocket science to obey a simple law.Therefore,if they can't stand the heat they should quitely go else where.

OH GREAT, THOSE LIVES ARE NOW FREE NOW ABI?, WONT THEY STILL DIE IN THE HANDS OF ARMED ROBBERS AND KIDNAPPERS, THAT WERE ONCE SELF EMPLOYED WITH OKADA?

I AM NOT SAYING, THEY SHOULD BREAK THE LAWS, I AM SAYING THE FINE SHOULD BE STANDARD AND REASONABLE. IMAGINE THE TRAFFIC LAW STATING THAT IF YOU VIOLATE THE LAW, YOU PAY 500K FOR YOUR CAR. WONT PEOPLE LEAVE THEIR CAR AT THE STATION?

AND YOU KNOW HOW LAWLESS NIGERIAN LAW ENFORCEMENT IS, WHEN YOU GO TO THE STATION, THERE WONT BE A STANDARD PRICE. THE POLICE OFFICE CAN TELL YOU TO BRINK 50K FOR YOUR BIKE AND THEN YOU HAVE TO NEGOTIATE.

IF THERE IS A STANDARD 5K LAW, I DONT THINK ANY OKADA RIDER WILL BREAK THE LAW, PAY 5K AND BREAK IT AGAIN. HOW MUCH DO THEY MAKE?

UNEMPLOYMENT IN LAGOS OR NIGERIA, WILL CLAIM MORE LIVES THAT OKADA ACCIDENT .

1 Like

Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by mekaboy(m): 12:40pm On Oct 10, 2012
THE MILITARY MAN, THAT WAS CAUGHT BY FASHIOLA AND PLEADED WITH HIM, WHAT HAPPENED TO HIM? WAS HIS CAR SIZED? DID HE PAY A FINE?

NOW IF YOUR COMMERCIAL CAR DOES NOT HAVE LAGOS NUMBER, YOU WILL BE ARRESTED. IS THAT LAW NOT MAINLY TO ENRICH THE GOVT? AND MOST TIMES PEOPLE COMPARE NIGERIA WITH OTHER DEVELOPED COUNTRIES. THESE COUNTRIES, HAVE WELFARE PACKAGES, THAT CUSHION THE EFFECTS OF UNEMPLOYMENT, REDUCING CRIME RATE.

THERE IS NO WELFARE IN NIGERIA, SO THE GOVT SHOULD BE A LITTLE MORE LENIENT ESPECIALLY WITH LAWS THAT COULD RENDER SOMEONE UNEMPLOYED IN NIGERIA.

AFTER ALL IT IS THE LAW, IN ALLU THAT ANYONE CAUGHT STEALING SHOULD BE KILLED. WHY ARE YOU ALL COMPLAINING OVER THE KILLING OF THE STUDENTS. THEY VIOLATED THE LAWS OF ALU LAND.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by Biggyd2: 12:42pm On Oct 10, 2012
naptu2: 1) Okada riding has not been banned in Lagos, rather the law says you should not ride against the flow of traffic, obey traffic lights, do not ride on the sidewalk, do not ride on the expressway, get a rider's permit, etc. You can ride your okada and earn a living for your family if you obey the law.

2) However, motorcycles should only be destroyed after a judicial process (especially when the suspect wants to contest the charges). The government should not seize and destroy motorcycles arbitrarily.

Exactly! Follow due process. But do they? undecided
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by omoredia: 12:48pm On Oct 10, 2012
A very good move we need decipline in this country. At least ITS very clear that the govt is not selling the impounded okadas as people thought. If armed robbery is easier than obeying traffic laws let dem do that.
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by omiobo: 12:51pm On Oct 10, 2012
mekaboy: LEAD IN WHAT?

I HOPE YOU KNOW THAT EACH OF THOSE OKADAS REPRESENT A FAMILY, A CHILDS SCHOOL FEES, SOMEONES DAILY BREAD. AND AN OPEN DOOR FOR ARMED ROBBERY, KIDNAPPING AND INSECURITY.

SO WHEN YOU NOTICE THE INCREASE OF ARMED ROBBERY IN LAGOS, DONT ASK WHERE IT CAME FROM. ITS ONE OF THOSE OKADAS YOU SEE THERE. THOSE CAUGHT OFFENDING SHOULD BE MADE TO PAY A FINE, INSTEAD OF DESTROYING THEIR MEANS OF LIVELIHOOD. ITS NOT LIKE GOVT PAYS WELFARE TO SUPPORT ANY CITIZEN, OR THERE ARE EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES, WHERE YOU CAN EASILY WALK IN AND GET A JOB.
THOSE OF YOU PRAISING GOVT FOR THIS, SHOULD NOT BE SURPRISED, WHEN A PREVIOUS OKADA RIDER COMES TO ROB YOU AT NIGHT.

Did u read the article very well? Those okadas were seized because they voilated laws. Must they disobey the traffic laws because they have families to feed,no employment? Most okada riders want to make fast money. Our agricultural sector is enough to fix unemployment problem but nobody wants to farm.
Really if you read that piece of yours all over again,you will know that you are senseless. Have you been to hospitals to see how many people have died and rendered useless because of stupid okada riders like you?
By all means Sanity must return to lagos,if it will take send you to your village,i fish you out myself. Ideeot!
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by drzed: 12:52pm On Oct 10, 2012
Ola one: Why destroy things that you can sell off? undecided

In normal climes, they sell not destroy such ,

You dey mind dem? Naija is not a normal clime anyway.
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by visionglobal: 12:56pm On Oct 10, 2012
Ajibel: Its so obvious most of u didnt read d article well. D officer stated clearly that the okada riders on sighting d officials dumped their bikes. They knew they've offended...and why would u break d law in d first place when u aren't insane/ mad? Would ur bike be seized if u obey the law?
Most of us are used to lawlessnes that any new law is seen as draconian!
so far the only right thinking comment on this thread, all of u shouting that some people are now jobless, go to the orthopedic ward and see what okada drivers have caused to many families with their I don't care driving on the roads, naija can never be good if we carry on with a lawless mentality.
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by omar22(m): 1:00pm On Oct 10, 2012
Now they should step-up in seizing buses or taxis that drives on the wrong side of traffic
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by visionglobal: 1:02pm On Oct 10, 2012
mekaboy:

OH GREAT, THOSE LIVES ARE NOW FREE NOW ABI?, WONT THEY STILL DIE IN THE HANDS OF ARMED ROBBERS AND KIDNAPPERS, THAT WERE ONCE SELF EMPLOYED WITH OKADA?

I AM NOT SAYING, THEY SHOULD BREAK THE LAWS, I AM SAYING THE FINE SHOULD BE STANDARD AND REASONABLE. IMAGINE THE TRAFFIC LAW STATING THAT IF YOU VIOLATE THE LAW, YOU PAY 500K FOR YOUR CAR. WONT PEOPLE LEAVE THEIR CAR AT THE STATION?

AND YOU KNOW HOW LAWLESS NIGERIAN LAW ENFORCEMENT IS, WHEN YOU GO TO THE STATION, THERE WONT BE A STANDARD PRICE. THE POLICE OFFICE CAN TELL YOU TO BRINK 50K FOR YOUR BIKE AND THEN YOU HAVE TO NEGOTIATE.

IF THERE IS A STANDARD 5K LAW, I DONT THINK ANY OKADA RIDER WILL BREAK THE LAW, PAY 5K AND BREAK IT AGAIN. HOW MUCH DO THEY MAKE?

stop talking like a kid, from the report it is obvious that the okada riders deserted their means of livelihood cos dey wanted to avoid arrest and fine, now you expect the government to keep the okadas @ alausa indefinitely waiting for ghost riders to come claim it bah?
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by bleufaucon: 1:13pm On Oct 10, 2012

I HOPE YOU KNOW THAT EACH OF THOSE OKADAS REPRESENT A FAMILY, A CHILDS SCHOOL FEES, SOMEONES DAILY BREAD. AND AN OPEN DOOR FOR ARMED ROBBERY, KIDNAPPING AND INSECURITY.

SO WHEN YOU NOTICE THE INCREASE OF ARMED ROBBERY IN LAGOS, DONT ASK WHERE IT CAME FROM. ITS ONE OF THOSE OKADAS YOU SEE THERE. THOSE CAUGHT OFFENDING SHOULD BE MADE TO PAY A FINE, INSTEAD OF DESTROYING THEIR MEANS OF LIVELIHOOD. ITS NOT LIKE GOVT PAYS WELFARE TO SUPPORT ANY CITIZEN, OR THERE ARE EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES, WHERE YOU CAN EASILY WALK IN AND GET A JOB.

THOSE OF YOU PRAISING GOVT FOR THIS, SHOULD NOT BE SURPRISED, WHEN A PREVIOUS OKADA RIDER COMES TO ROB YOU AT NIGHT.

Thank you for this statement. The day will come when government and their agents will have no one left to intimidate except themselves and eventually be destroyed.
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by mekaboy(m): 1:14pm On Oct 10, 2012
omiobo:

Did u read the article very well? Those okadas were seized because they voilated laws. Must they disobey the traffic laws because they have families to feed,no employment? Most okada riders want to make fast money. Our agricultural sector is enough to fix unemployment problem but nobody wants to farm.
Really if you read that piece of yours all over again,you will know that you are senseless. Have you been to hospitals to see how many people have died and rendered useless because of stupid okada riders like you?
By all means Sanity must return to lagos,if it will take send you to your village,i fish you out myself. Ideeot!

[b]NO NEED TO CURSE MAN, YOU ARE ENTITLED TO YOUR OPINION. NOBODY IS SAYING THEY SHOULD BREAK THE LAW, ALL I AM SAYING IS THAT THE GOVT SHOULD ALSO PROVIDE A MEANS TO CUSHION THE EFFECT OF THE PENALTY.

EXAMPLE: THERE SHOULD BE A DATABASE OF TRAFFIC OFFENDERS, THE PENALTY FOR A FIRST TIME OFFENDER SHOULD NOT BE THE SAME. IF A FIRST TIME OFFENDER PAYS, 5K, AND BREAKS THE LAW AGAIN, HE COULD PAY 15K. BUT HERE IN NIGERIA, WE DONT THINK LIKE THAT, EVERY OFFENDER PAYS THE SAME, WHETHER ITS YOUR FIRST TIME OR NOT.

THAT IS WHY THEY LEAVE THE OKADA, THE PENALTY COULD BE MUCH MORE THAN THEY CAN AFFORD FOR THE FIRST TIME. THIS IS NOT MILITARY RULE, WHERE ITS EITHER YES OR NO. IN DEMOCRACY, THERE SHOULD BE "YES" "MAY BE" "NO".

HAVE U BEEN TO THE HOSPITAL AND SEEN THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE SUFFERING FROM MALNUTRITION, ULCER, ARMED ROBBERY VICTIMS, ETC ? OUR GOVT IS AS GUILTY AS THE LAW BREAKING OKADA RIDERS. SO IF WE SHOULD ENFORCE THE LAW, LET IT BE ENFORCED AT ALL LEVELS.

THE DANA AIR LINE THAT WASTED THE LIVES OF MANY NIGERIANS, ARE THEIR PLANES SEIZED? AND DESTROYED. U DONT EXPECT ME TO BELIEVE THE WHOLE 3000 BIKES SEIZED ARE ACTUALLY DESTROYED.

I AM NOT AN OKADA RIDER, JUST A CONCERNED CITIZEN.THE GOVT JUST WAKES UP AND MAKES LAWS WITHOUT PLANNING FOR THE IMPLICATION.

JUST LIKE THE PLATE NUMBER ISSUE. WHY NOT CREATE A DATABASE OF ALL PUBLIC TRANSPORT VEHICLES IN LAGOS WITHOUT LAGOS NUMBER, LET THEM GO AND GET A LICENSE FOR 1K EACH. THIS LICENSE EXPIRES AFTER 3YEARS. WHEN IT EXPIRES. THEN YOU HAVE TO GET A LAGOS PLATE NUMBER.

NO, THEY DONT REASON LIKE THAT. SORRY TO SAY THE GOVT IN NIGERIA ESPECIALLY LAGOS, REASONS JUST LIKE THE PEOPLE OF ALU COMMUNITY. THE LAW IS THE LAW, FOLLOW IT, NO OPTIONS.[/b]

1 Like

Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by infolpf: 1:14pm On Oct 10, 2012
@ Lagos State: Do what well organized municipalities in first world countries do - sell off forfeited assets for more revenue! Look around Lagos, beside LASTMA, Police stations etc., you see vehicles apparently parked for years, over some dispute or the other. My humble suggestion - Resolve such cases quickly, if the result is a forfeiture of such assets, then establish a process to liquidate same, and convert them into more revenue. Call it your Asset Liquidation Department, or outsource to a liquidation company. Otherwise you bear the cost of warehousing or storing, and it becomes a cost center!
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by calabaman(m): 1:18pm On Oct 10, 2012
omoola007: There should be a flat fine of N10,000 OR forfeiture for Okada violation. once a few of them loose money they will start acting right. Destroying their source of livelihood like someone said will lead them to frustration an desperation. as much as i HATE Okada. This punishment is far too harsh.

btw has anyone seen the list of roads they are banned on. It would have been easier for the government to just ban okada. all roads in Lagos island, lekki -epe express way. etc. That's why its dangerous to have too many lawyers in government - Legally restriction does not equal to ban....
U spoke my mind. A fine would have indeed been much better rather than destroying the livelihood of a poor okada rider. What are they supposed to do now?
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by Nobody: 1:21pm On Oct 10, 2012
hmm....

i don't think this is actually the best way around this issue!
Destroying 3,000 okadas?
Is a no, no!

Lagos state -softly softly oh!
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by jaybee3(m): 1:26pm On Oct 10, 2012
AmBeautiful:
hmm....

i don't think this is actually the best way around this issue!
Destroying 3,000 okadas?
Is a no, no!

Lagos state -softly softly oh!
What would you rather the state do to deter citizens from flaunting the laws of the state?
Nigerians are known to break laws willie nillie regardless of consequences.
The benefit of this single action by the state goes far beyond the common man's imagination.

Isn't it the responsibility of the federal government to provide policies that stimulates growth and in turn jobs?
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by drzed: 1:30pm On Oct 10, 2012
@mekaboy:

I agree with all that you have written.
....However, abeg, (no vex o) but using capital letters to type all your words is the digital equivalent of shouting. Especially when you also use bold letters!

Please TRY to type using mostly small letters and use caps only for emphasising certain words. It makes it easier to read. As you can see, I emphasised 'try' above using caps. grin if I had said TRY (in bold) then I am seriously seriously emphasising.

Lest I digress, I agree once again with all that you have said on this Okada issue.

Thanks
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by francis247(m): 1:35pm On Oct 10, 2012
this is very unreasonable. why not do away with them such that funds would be raised to provide an alternative source of living 4 these individuals; and I'm sure majority of them voted this tyrant. smh
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by mekaboy(m): 1:40pm On Oct 10, 2012
[b]THE GOVT IS ALWAYS IMITATING THE WESTERN COUNTRIES.THOSE COUNTRY ENSURE THAT THE NECESSARY FACILITIES ARE PUT IN PLACE BEFORE THEY MAKE LAWS. IN NIGERIA WE MAKE LAWS BLINDLY, WHEN THERE ARE NO FACILITIES IN PLACE. THOSE COUNTRIES WE IMITATE, THE TAX PAYERS SEE THE BENEFITS OF THE TAX THEY PAY, IN NIGERIA WE DONT . YET WE WANT TO MAKE LAWS LIKE THEM.

IN THOSE COUNTRIES, THE GOVT PROVIDES LOANS FOR EDUCATION, IN NIGERIA WE DONT. THEY PROVIDE WELFARE, IN NIGERIA YOUR ON YOUR OWN. YET THE GOVT WANTS TO MAKE LAWS LIKE THEY DO AND EXPECT THE CITIZENS TO BE LAW ABIDING .

HAS THE GOVT BEEN ABIDING TO THE OAT THEY SWORE TO NIGERIANS, WHEN THEY GOT INTO OFFICE.?.

IS THERE A DATABASE FOR COMMERCIAL MOTORCYCLIST IN LAGOS?

IS THERE A DATABASE TO COMMERCIAL TRANSPORT VEHICLES IN LAGOS, TALK LESS OF THOSE WITH PLATE NUMBERS FROM OTHER STATES?

THE GOVT SHOULD FIRST, EMPLOY PEOPLE IN THE TRANSPORT OFFICE. TO CREATE A DATABASE OF EVERY COMMERCIAL CAR OR MOTOCYLCE, WITH THE NAME OF THEIR OWNERS.

THEN CREATE A TAX FORCE OFFICE, THAT HAS ACCESS TO TRANSPORT DATABASE. THE FINE FOR EVERY TRAFFIC OFFENSE SHOULD BE WRITTEN BOLDY FOR EVERYONE TO SEE.

IF YOU VIOLATE THE TRAFFIC LAW. THE POLICE GIVES YOU A TICKET, AND YOUR CAR NUMBER OR OKADA NUMBER IS BOOKED IN THE TASK FORCE OFFICE SYSTEM. YOU COULD BE GIVEN 48HRS TO PAY THE FINE OR KEEP YOUR OKADA OFF THE ROAD.

IF YOUR CAR OR OKADA IS CAUGHT AND THERE IS A TICKET LINKED TO YOUR NUMBER, WHICH HAS EXCEEDED THE 48HRS. THEN YOU WILL BE CHARGED TO CAUGHT, AND MAKE TO GO TO PRISON OR PAY A HIGHER FINE.

THAT WAY, IF YOU ARE AN OKADA RIDER AND YOU GOT A TICKET, YOU EITHER GO AND PAY IN 48HRS, OR YOU PARK YOU OKADA AT HOME TILL YOU GET THE MONEY TO PAY. THAT WAY OKADA WILL NOT BE KEPT IN THE POLICE STATION.

THESE ARE MEASURES THAT DEVELOPED COUNTRIES PUT IN PLACE BEFORE THEY MAKE TRAFFIC LAWS AND PENALTIES. BUT IN NIGERIA, THE ALU COMMUNITY THINKING GOVT, WILL NOT PUT SUCH MEASURES IN PLACE. THEY WILL JUST JUMP OUT AND MAKE LAWS, BECAUSE THE WANT LAGOS TO BE LIKE AMERICA OVER NIGHT.

AND THE IGNORANT ONCE WE BE SHOUTING, "FASHIOLA THE ACTION MAN" EKO ONI BAJE ETC. [/b]
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by omar22(m): 1:42pm On Oct 10, 2012

YOU KNOW THAT EACH OF THOSE OKADAS REPRESENT A FAMILY MEMBER IN PRISON OR DEAD IF HE KEEPS ON BREAKING THE LAW

Look we live in a Nation that has a mentality that we could get away with every law been broken, I could remember during the military rule in 1984, they said dont cross the road / motorway, you would still find some idiot who would cross the road, then when they are punished people would say they are harsh, look its a start the motorist needs a deterrent or else, actually they havent gone far enough, safety is the last thing in the mind of our motorist, I once travelled to ogun-state and before we hit the express road the stopped to buy what looked like half a cup of ogoro! theirs a reason why they say dont drink and drive, this guy made a crazy move to pass an 18 wheeler trailer, I frooze! Okada riders break all the rules and someone is sympatising with them, one thing I know for sure is that its easy for an Okada rider to jump off when he see the incident approaching what about the passenger? they get killed. M
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by Nobody: 1:43pm On Oct 10, 2012
This is what Nigeria needs now. No pussyfooting. Tough policies for every animal-like behavior exhibited by Nigerians. The country is in dire need of re-organization, and this is how you make a point. Kudos to Lagos state.
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by ocelot2006(m): 1:45pm On Oct 10, 2012
omoola007: There should be a flat fine of N10,000 OR forfeiture for Okada violation. once a few of them loose money they will start acting right. Destroying their source of livelihood like someone said will lead them to frustration an desperation. as much as i HATE Okada. This punishment is far too harsh.

btw has anyone seen the list of roads they are banned on. It would have been easier for the government to just ban okada. all roads in Lagos island, lekki -epe express way. etc. That's why its dangerous to have too many lawyers in government - Legally restriction does not equal to ban....

Well said. 'just what I had in mind. I'm all for the rules, but this penalty is extremely harsh. Why not fine the riders, impound their bikes, then release them once the fines are paid?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by omar22(m): 1:50pm On Oct 10, 2012

Lets use your same principle, How much should we fine the owner of an Air Line that crashes?

N100,000?

N1m?

N10m?

And once paid life goes on
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by bleufaucon: 1:54pm On Oct 10, 2012
Development is not Fashion Mr Fashola! All you do is to copy the foreigners and implement their anti-human laws in Lagos. Soon u will leave power and join the ordinary people and for the rest of ur life behold the righteous indignation of the poor and helpless. You politicians! 1000 times worse than the revered military who even inspires patriotism more than you compromising and deceitful elements. You throw people off their homes and into the streets turn around to build overtly expensive apartments for your rich friends and associates;most are even empty or bought over by foreigners whom you serve mr Fashola. Time will tell for the just recompense of the creator to be meted upon all u insensitive leaders driven by the poisonous wave of capitalism. Tyrants hiding under the guise of democracy which itself is an evil tool of destruction used to divide and conquer Free people. Draconian laws springing up at an alarming rate constantly yet some blind folks sing the praise of these devils. Government that does not have regard for human beings..how ignonimous!
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by mekaboy(m): 2:10pm On Oct 10, 2012
omar22:

YOU KNOW THAT EACH OF THOSE OKADAS REPRESENT A FAMILY MEMBER IN PRISON OR DEAD IF HE KEEPS ON BREAKING THE LAW

Look we live in a Nation that has a mentality that we could get away with every law been broken, I could remember during the military rule in 1984, they said dont cross the road / motorway, you would still find some idiot who would cross the road, then when they are punished people would say they are harsh, look its a start the motorist needs a deterrent or else, actually they havent gone far enough, safety is the last thing in the mind of our motorist, I once travelled to ogun-state and before we hit the express road the stopped to buy what looked like half a cup of ogoro! theirs a reason why they say dont drink and drive, this guy made a crazy move to pass an 18 wheeler trailer, I frooze! Okada riders break all the rules and someone is sympatising with them, one thing I know for sure is that its easy for an Okada rider to jump off when he see the incident approaching what about the passenger? they get killed. M

this is the same view someone will have with the murdered uniport students. If you see cultist kill people or rob people, does that justify the killing of the uniport students? Even though its the laws of the people of alu to kill anyone stealing.
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by sucess001(m): 2:17pm On Oct 10, 2012
This is shameful! i voted fashola but the guy has lost focus totally. i actually wrote a lot of articlers in the dailies on this law. you can read one here- http://financialangle.com/2012/08/10/the-new-traffic-law-in-lagos/

I am a lawyer too by the way. i hear the arguments for going harsh on okadas and i laugh...i hear they re responsible for accidents, i hear they account for 20 percent of crimes. Then i ask...what about the cars dt are involved in accidents or the 80 percent of crimes traceable to cars...do we also ban cars? or ban knives cos they can be used to kill? or ban guns cos its also used by armed robbers? and for those of you saying its compliance they want...wat manner of compliance do u want wen u say no okada must ply any bridge in Lagos? the law in itself is thoughtless and a poor piece of legislation.

When you have one of the poorest and uneducated peoples in the world and u impooverise dem further by this...beware pple...boko haramism is coming to a cinema near you...

Senseless idiots! you sit in Alausa and make laws that make u look like uy know wat u re doing. why hav they not arrested landlords that flout the tenancy law by chargin more than a year's rent? you know why? no revenue is expected from it... and y'all saying its good to do this to okada riders...pls read the traffic law and realise you also mite be goin to jail for 3 yrs for riding a bike without helmet...our governor has gone mad!
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by fuke(m): 2:26pm On Oct 10, 2012
bigtt76: Enough said ....I wonder what goes on in the mind of those supporting the action. Yes the riders are rough and a nuisance but then they do not constitute any more nuisance than they would toting a gun, axe or sledge hammer lying in wait for the rich on 3MB.

Sad enough that the same politicians who during their campaigns introduced the giving away of motorcycles to entice the youth into voting for them, turn around and deprive them of their newly found livelihood.

Funny enough, I doubt any of those who are praising, formulated the policy or crushing the bikes can boldly say they've never ridden on any before. If you've not then i challenge you cast the first stone .....rubbish!

Laws are to be obeyed.
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by ifeegee(f): 2:30pm On Oct 10, 2012
mekaboy:

In as much as I agree with some of the thingS u said,I still maintain that laws are ment to be obeyed.Come to think of it, how much fine do u think will be ideal for an okada that runs over a pedestrian, simply b'cus walkways are a better route for them?more so,those with criminal intent will still be,with or without okada, and note also that many of them are kidnapper and armed rubbers already.
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by mekaboy(m): 2:50pm On Oct 10, 2012
[b]Who said Nigerians are not law abiding?

Nigerians will obey the law, if they see reason and benefits of obeying the law. We say nobody is above the law, yet we see the politicians showing on a daily bases that they are above it.

If we must copy America, we should copy everything. The western world makes laws to benefit the citizens, the Nigerian govt makes laws to raise funds from citizens. This is a very wrong motive. In the america that fashola makes reference to. there is a fine for first time offenders and a fine for repeating offenders. In nigeria, there is nothing like first time offenders.

Do you know why people pay taxes and obey the law in America? because they see the benefits. Why will Nigerians pay tax and obey laws when they dont see the benefits?

Secondly people pay fine and tax in america because that money will come back to them somehow through the govt. Any money that goes into the pocket of govt whether it is for a fine for breaking the law or tax on income or investment, should come back the citizens somehow.

In Nigeria, the govt is like a magician, you put money in their hands and it disappears.

Lagos and Nigeria is not ripe for most of the laws we put in place.The systems is not balanced, while the govt is receiving funds from offenders, it should also be used to create employment for citizens, so they are no longer in a situation to offend the law.

LETS TAKE THE LAGOS TRAFFIC LAWS FOR EXAMPLE.

In as much as fashola wants lagos to turn to America, he should understand that America did not just wake up and make laws and citizens obey.

1, THESE TRAFFIC LAWS SHOULD BE CREATING EMPLOYMENT INSTED OF DESTROYING IT.

all these lastma agboro and task force touts that catch offenders, should first be trained in basic computer education.

Transport offices should be located in various locations in lagos, where public transport car or okada owners can go and register their vehicle numbers in the transport database.(those same touts will be working with computers to enter the numbers into the system).

There should be task offices in various parts of lagos, where the offenders numbers are booked into the system, that is linked to the transport database. (the same touts can work with computers in these offices).

There will be field operators, that give tickets and have radio communication devices. when you are caught offending, they give you a ticket, notify the task force office of you okada number and ticket number, based on your offense, the fine will be generated.

Now its up to you to pay your fine in 24hrs or get your car or okada off the road. if after 48hrs you have not paid your fine, your plate number triggers a red alert on the system, and the task force offices on the roads are on the look out for you.

if you are caught, you either go to jail or pay a higher fine. there will be cameras on the roads, that map your plate number to the task force database. so if your number is on red alert, the camera reports your location to the task force office. they radio those on the road and tell them that an okada with his number is approaching, and should be arrested and brought to the office.

Now, do you the the level of employment, this traffic law will create? you can see that this same harsh law will do more good to lagos than harm. That is how govt should think. Govt should think of the how the laws will benefit the citizens first before thinking of how much they can make from it.

But the Nigerian govt, is self centered, all their laws is focused on how much they can make out of citizens, that is why they sit in the office and make senseless laws just to enrich the govt.

Fashola, if you want to copy American laws, please copy their standard of living, and method of creating jobs. copy how their traffic laws are enforced. you dont see touts on the street chasing after traffic offenders.

If the govt of Nigeria really had the interest of citizens in mind, these laws will create more employment than unemployment, which it is creating now.

Imagine a former agbori in lastma , waking up in the morning, dress up, put on a suite carry a laptop to the office. sit down in the lagos traffic law office and is tracking down cars that have not paid their fine?

We jst have selfish leaders.

[/b]

1 Like

Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by bashr8: 2:59pm On Oct 10, 2012
well they gave them notice but what of those that use their for private reasons, like moving around, going to work etc hope it didnt affect them. its sad 3000 people plus their families lost a means of surviving.
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by bashr8: 3:03pm On Oct 10, 2012
musiwa7: I think that is wrong.. They should have fine the people.. this is the process.. and I think lagos state should ask this people to convert them to tricycle which can easy be made by welders.. it is easy to make tricycle with okada.
wow this is the smartest response, you are right , if converted to tricycle their crazy way o driving will stop but then it will defeat the purpose of using okada in lagos to cut tru traffic.other states though should require then to convert it into tricycle.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

FG Owes 70,000 Workers Three-month Salaries / Rivers Assembly Approves Wike’s N10bn Loan Request / Buhari’s SGF Spends N65 Million On OSGF WEBSITE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.