Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,791 members, 7,824,290 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 07:31 AM

Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism (6844 Views)

Oshiomhole Fires Back At Okonjo-Iweala "You Should Be Ashamed..." / Fayose Presents Car Gifts To Teachers In Appreciation For Their Hard Works / Jega Sacks Two Electoral Officers In Edo For Disappearance Of Result Sheets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by fulfillment2020(m): 11:21am On Oct 11, 2012
BENIN—TWENTY teachers in three schools, who were absent from their duty posts, when Edo State Governor, Mr. Adams Oshiomhole, paid unscheduled visit to the schools in the state, Tuesday, have been dismissed.

Oshiomhole, who disclosed this during the visit to Asoro Primary School, Emokpae Model Primary School, Western Boys High School, George Idah Model School and Esonere Primary School in Benin City, also ordered deductions from the salaries of some teachers who got to their schools after the 8a.m., resumption time.

The governor frowned at the lackadaisical attitude of some teachers to work, noting that “the state government had provided suitable environment in the schools. The teachers are paid good wages and allowances. These beautiful classrooms are useless if teachers don’t teach the students.”

The governor, who was at Asoro Primary School at 7:45a.m., went through the teachers’ attendance register and discovered that names of teachers, who were yet to arrive the school were signed in.

He directed that adequate punishment be meted out to those who filled in the names of the absent teachers. He said: “Any time a teacher does not show up in school, the students will be wasting their time. The head mistress will also be queried because she has the responsibility to explain to me why people were allowed to sign fraudulently on the register when they were not present.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/10/oshiomhole-fires-20-teachers-in-edo-for-absenteeism/
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by texazzpete(m): 1:25pm On Oct 11, 2012
Oshiomhole talks as if salaries of teachers are paid right on time in Edo State!

hypocrisy is always sickening! Where is the penalty for Edo state Government officials when contracts are late or target delivery dates slip?

5 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by Nobody: 1:52pm On Oct 11, 2012
[size=3pt] will he employ more to refill doz slots? Abi e dun turn ghost worker tinz? [/size]
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by BrutusOj(m): 1:54pm On Oct 11, 2012
No nonsense!!! Kip it up bro oshi grin grin grin
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by megxo(m): 1:55pm On Oct 11, 2012
Imanuelle: [size=3pt] will he employ more to refill doz slots? Abi e dun turn ghost worker tinz? [/size]
wtf

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by Djbaka(m): 1:56pm On Oct 11, 2012
Must u people always criticize a good deed. What is the use of paying teachers that are not even teaching!! What he did should be commended and even adopted by others in his shoe. Change comes little by little, it's not magic!!

3 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by hydoo(m): 1:57pm On Oct 11, 2012
Gud work,,pple like u wil move d country ahead nt.........

Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by mutiply: 1:58pm On Oct 11, 2012
Too bad for those teachers,a query should have been issued rather than dismissing them.

3 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by ooua: 2:04pm On Oct 11, 2012
So surprised that Oshiomhole who was once a labour leader is doing this. For God's sake where are the rights of those teachers. In no place in the world will a worker be sacked for missing work for just one day or coming late. How can we go forward as a nation when even our leaders act the way they do. Oshiomhole sorry sir, I thought you knew better.

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by GeorgeD1(m): 2:05pm On Oct 11, 2012
oshobaba! our no nonsense comrade governor!

keep it up! grin
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by ooua: 2:06pm On Oct 11, 2012
BrutusOj: No nonsense!!! Kip it up bro oshi grin grin grin
That is rubbish. what is no nonsense about this. Its because of people like you that our leaders walk on the citizens.
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by sirp2007: 2:08pm On Oct 11, 2012
HE should extend this surprise visit 2 all govt agencies in d state.
Alot of truancy is going on in public services.Some sanity is needed no matter hw small.
Someone in state board of internal revenue has nt come to office since Aug because his wife put 2 bed,assuming he was d wife maybe he would hv resumed whn d child is in secondary.

3 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by Freiburger(m): 2:08pm On Oct 11, 2012
mutiply: Too bad for those teachers,a query should have been issued rather than dismissing them.
But what about the salary wey ihn nor dey pay in time? that wan dey move country foward too?
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by SlyIg(f): 2:10pm On Oct 11, 2012
Deductions from their salaries,what was the salary before that they are deducting. Instead of helping them with car loans so as to get to school on time! Anyway... Make teachers bugle up o cos at all at all,na him bad pass.
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by babslepe: 2:11pm On Oct 11, 2012
@ texaspete dont say what you dont know i served as a corper at the accountant generals office there in benin city and all salaries are paid before 28th of every month and they get their over heads the first week of the following month so dont come to say rubbish on nairaland. if you dont have fact and figures just read and follow the topic instead of blabbing nonsense. lets give this man some credit ok

2 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by erniok(m): 2:13pm On Oct 11, 2012
I think they teachers were sacked not because they were absent but that their names were fraudulently in the attendance register. Howbeit, a query would have been in order while those that had their colleagues sign in for them should be made to forfeit the day's pay.
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by iJAY1: 2:14pm On Oct 11, 2012
way to go, Oshio!
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by Aphrygian(m): 2:14pm On Oct 11, 2012
Osho baba fank u.u people wey they rant 4 here i fink u dnt no how dis public schools teacher works.most of them dont come to school and they are being paid
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by MiniG: 2:15pm On Oct 11, 2012
On this one, the Governor played to the gallery. The action is not procedural, apart from being too drastic.

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by preciousoz: 2:19pm On Oct 11, 2012
babslepe: @ texaspete dont say what you dont know i served as a corper at the accountant generals office there in benin city and all salaries are paid before 28th of every month and they get their over heads the first week of the following month so dont come to say rubbish on nairaland. if you dont have fact and figures just read and follow the topic instead of blabbing nonsense. lets give this man some credit ok

Thank You Very Much.

Hate it when people just talk without Facts.

We cry govt is failing whereas we are the root cause of our problems.

5 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by iJAY1: 2:19pm On Oct 11, 2012
Mini G: On this one, the Governor played to the gallery. The action is not procedural, apart from being too drastic.
got any prove to this claim? he's not a kid, i guess he wouldn't act without a proper assessment
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by Azubreezy(m): 2:19pm On Oct 11, 2012
That is gross administrative and procedural error! D dismsissal is not in tandem with due process. Dey would have been querried b4 fired. So jungle justice is now d order of d day in Nigeria?? Does he pay dem on time sef? Osho, dis is 21st century 4 crying out loud!
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by Gracious10: 2:21pm On Oct 11, 2012
Good radiance to bad rubbish! Serves them right. I could count how many times teachers were present in school during my own time how much more now. Infact fire all of them.There are well meaning Nigerians who are efficient and looking for a job. They should be hired. Enough of these sidon dey look teachers.

2 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by tlaret24(m): 2:22pm On Oct 11, 2012
he waz given a 2nd chance, i thinf dis teachers are worthy of a 2nd chance no matter what...
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by Gracious10: 2:23pm On Oct 11, 2012
i-JAY:
got any prove to this claim? he's not a kid, i guess he wouldn't act without a proper assessment

I agree with you. He must have done his investigations before he set the lazy bones packing.
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by oyin50(f): 2:23pm On Oct 11, 2012
The initiative taken by oshiomole is very suitable for the Nigerian system, to get functionality in place, a stern approach has to be employed , the Nigerian people rarely change based on lenient approaches. In Abuja, when abacha was in power, the city was spectacularly clean and orderly upon his demise, a gradual degradation crept in. For Nigeria to really experience a shift from it's present eye sore, a radical, stern and unrelenting methodology must be enacted. Oshiomole and fashola perfectly understands the Nigerian people and how best to reinstate their insanity (figuratively). Anyone having problems or opposing these radical change is stucked with the conveniences of the disorderly, disjointed, disfigured and destabilized Nigeria hence the defensive approach to anything referred to as change. Change is hard, difficult and a painful sacrifice not some cup-cake experience. Hate it or love it I have said my mind oooo.

7 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by MiniG: 2:24pm On Oct 11, 2012
On this one the governor played to the gallery. The action is not procedural, apart from being too drastic,

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by Aizebioje(m): 2:26pm On Oct 11, 2012
[quote author=texazzpete]Oshiomhole talks as if salaries of teachers are paid right on time in Edo State!
Yes actually,TEACHERS ARE PROMPTLY PAID IN EDO STATE...MY MUM IS A LIVING PROOF OF THAT

2 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by oloyedejamiu: 2:26pm On Oct 11, 2012
why are those teachers being paid and they are not in the classroom to deliver their services for the payments?

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by Freiburger(m): 2:26pm On Oct 11, 2012
Mini G: On this one the governor played to the gallery. The action is not procedural, apart from being too drastic,
If the state was to to pay the unemployment benefits to those dismissed , he would have think twice before taking that action.
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by Gracious10: 2:30pm On Oct 11, 2012
Freiburger:
If the state was to to pay the unemployment benefits to those dismissed , he would have think twice before taking that action.

I don't get u. If u were laid off, u get unemployment benefits. But if you were fired, u r on ur own. Nobody pays u for being responsible for ur misfortune except u lie that u were laid off. It's hard to get unemployment benefits if u were fired. That's if I get ur drift.
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by ifeegee(f): 2:30pm On Oct 11, 2012
undecidedPhew!most Nigerians,can be sentimental and emotional,no objectivity whatsoever,you do good wahala,bad nko?na no go area,how are we ever going to be pleased?

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Aregbesola Launches O' Ambulance' 50 Ambulances Service Scheme / Ex-N’Delta Militants Vow To Sustain Biafra Struggle, Demand Kanu’s Release-Today / Egypt To Assist Nigeria In Preserving Looted Benin Artefacts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.