Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,462 members, 7,819,686 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:52 PM

Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism (6841 Views)

Oshiomhole Fires Back At Okonjo-Iweala "You Should Be Ashamed..." / Fayose Presents Car Gifts To Teachers In Appreciation For Their Hard Works / Jega Sacks Two Electoral Officers In Edo For Disappearance Of Result Sheets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by jude33084(m): 2:35pm On Oct 11, 2012
ooua: So surprised that Oshiomhole who was once a labour leader is doing this. For God's sake where are the rights of those teachers. In no place in the world will a worker be sacked for missing work for just one day or coming late. How can we go forward as a nation when even our leaders act the way they do. Oshiomhole sorry sir, I thought you knew better.

...AŋԂ Ɣ☺Ʊ think Ŧħåϯ this is τhe first ┼iϻe he is warning them about it. undecided Last year he caught a lot of them aŋԂ he issued ∂ warning Ť☺ them. Teachers Ŧħåϯ are not ready Ť☺ teach should go home aŋԂ do his/her business. tongue
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by Remzolution: 2:35pm On Oct 11, 2012
He may nt hav 2b righteous 2do wat's right. Evn hypocrites(as sm1 cald him here) knw wat's right n do dm. Since we r al corupt must we glory in it 4reva? Y cnt sm ppl c sense in wat ds man jst did? I mean, hw many govrnrs hav d tym n energy 2visit primary skuls let alone examine d registers? Wen most parents/guidians dnt evn knw d colour of deir wards' clasrooms? Com 2fink of it, ds highlights d rot in basic elementary educatn. Teachrs r paid wel, bt u av 2 ghost in2 a public skul 4 jst a day n c hw teachrs r neglignt 2deir respnsibilities. Most of u blabbng gibberish against ADO, aren't u guys tired of pretndng all's wel wif d system? Or may b u nid sm angel 2come 4rm byond d horizon n do same b4 u admit sm1 is finaly workng 2 revamp d system.

3 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by Freiburger(m): 2:41pm On Oct 11, 2012
Gracious10:

I don't get u. If u were laid off, u get unemployment benefits. But if you were fired, u r on ur own. Nobody pays u for being responsible for ur misfortune except u lie that u were laid off. It's hard to get unemployment benefits if u were fired. That's if I get ur drift.
In a sound economy, you can decide to stay off your working place for up to 3 years in you 're ill. Only Gods knows if he even tried to find out what the these people's reasons of being absent was.
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by MiniG: 2:51pm On Oct 11, 2012
i-JAY:
got any prove to this claim? he's not a kid, i guess he wouldn't act without a proper assessment

Each state has a ministry of education, under which you have the Teaching Service Board. These bodies regulate the recruitment and disciplining of public school teachers with clearly stated processes for each. Besides you don't just sack public workers without giving them the opportunity to be heard, except you are a typical Nigerian politician who can do anything in order to maintain popularity.
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by highlandre(m): 2:52pm On Oct 11, 2012
I wish there is an option that says 'Hate' on Nairaland Forum, then I would quickly have hated some nagging, backward-going comments in here. Oshiomole did the right thing by sacking the under-performing teachers and some dudes come here to castigate him! Nigeria has a long way to go.

I'm beginning to think followers, not really leaders, are the problems of this country. The other day, someone was openly defending the disease called 'man-know-man', which has promoted mediocrity and ruined excellence in our society. God, pls intervene in the lives of my people!!!

2 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by Freiburger(m): 2:56pm On Oct 11, 2012
highlandre: I wish there is an option that says 'Hate' on Nairaland Forum, then I would quickly have hated some nagging, backward-going comments in here. Oshiomole did the right thing by sacking the under-performing teachers and some dudes come here to castigate him! Nigeria has a long way to go.

I'm beginning to think followers, not really leaders, are the problems of this country. The other day, someone was openly defending the disease called 'man-know-man', which has promoted mediocrity and ruined excellence in our society. God, pls intervene in the lives of my people!!!
What are you saying is it wrong when followers sometimes do CHECK AND BALANCE?
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by davida222(m): 2:56pm On Oct 11, 2012
But is Nigeria still in the stone age? i tort in anycivilized society u tender a querrie, b4 sackin someone. Oshomole shuld hav carrid out hes investigation, why dos teachers did not com to work ontime. b4 sackin them, 90% of dis teachers contributed for him still been d govnor of that state.
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by acidtalk: 2:56pm On Oct 11, 2012
WHAT NONSENSE!!!

Who fired him when he followed Jonathan to Malawi and Botswana?
Or who fired him when he went for Obama's campaign with Tinubu in USA?
When did Botswana and USA become local governments in Edo state?

Bloody hypocrites.

He should have suspended them or deducted their salaries if they didn't have genuine reason for their absence.
How many time him dey siddon for Edo State?
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by asemota2012: 3:06pm On Oct 11, 2012
What rigth are you talking about,rigth in lawlessness? this is how you people destroyed Nigeria.
ooua: So surprised that Oshiomhole who was once a labour leader is doing this. For God's sake where are the rights of those teachers. In no place in the world will a worker be sacked for missing work for just one day or coming late. How can we go forward as a nation when even our leaders act the way they do. Oshiomhole sorry sir, I thought you knew better.
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by Gracious10: 3:09pm On Oct 11, 2012
Freiburger:
In a sound economy, you can decide to stay off your working place for up to 3 years in you 're ill. Only Gods knows if he even tried to find out what the these people's reasons of being absent was.

If u r ill? Yes u get paid. But if u are not nko? I live in sound economy and I can tell u unemployment are not for lazy bones. Now u talking sound economy..let's look at it this way.

1. How about calling to inform ur boss u would be late or u r stuck in traffic?

2. How about call-in in sick? Am sure that would have been on record.

3. How about someone signing in for u where u r not there? infact where I work, u sign in with ur finger prints.. So who has same thumb print as u? . So none is signing for u. If u r not there, u r not there! No wuruwuru in that.
You see Nigerians scream of change yet they lack it individually! You mean to tell me he's not investigated these issues before he fired them? How many of these teachers can be late everyday and still except to retain their jobs in sound economy? When we see things, can we pls apply the good ones if not for anything but for our conscience.

When I was in sec school, for 2 months, no teacher has stepped into class. It's not as if they are on strike. But if u go to their offices, either they are absent or present gossiping or even selling their merchandise. Pls call spade a spade!

3 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by 234GT(m): 3:11pm On Oct 11, 2012
Oshiomole, na devil go punish you. For crying out loud, there are laid down rules and disciplinary procedures in the teaching service. When I got a job last year with the ogun state teaching service commission, we were given a manual. The disciplinary procedures were clearly stated there. Of course, I am no longer there because the 'progressive' ACN governor ibikunle amosun sacked 2000 of us because 'we were employed by ogd to disstabilize his government'.
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by keneri(m): 3:25pm On Oct 11, 2012
preciousoz:

Thank You Very Much.

Hate it when people just talk without Facts.

We cry govt is failing whereas we are the root cause of our problems.

Right on point. People are lamenting, government this, government that...By the way, who is the government. We ARE the government. Na human beings dey occupy government not animals or ghosts. Lets play our own part in every little way we can and leave the rest.

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by honeric01(m): 3:29pm On Oct 11, 2012
Freiburger:

What makes you think he didn't do this? you assuming already?
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by Freiburger(m): 3:30pm On Oct 11, 2012
honeric01:

No assumption here, you and i know how our leaders sometimes behave.
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by honeric01(m): 3:34pm On Oct 11, 2012
Freiburger:
No assumption here, you and i know how our leaders sometimes behave.

Why paint everyone with same brush? As a former labor leader, you believe he's that insensitive to ask questions before acting?
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by keneri(m): 3:34pm On Oct 11, 2012
oyin50: The initiative taken by oshiomole is very suitable for the Nigerian system, to get functionality in place, a stern approach has to be employed , the Nigerian people rarely change based on lenient approaches. In Abuja, when abacha was in power, the city was spectacularly clean and orderly upon his demise, a gradual degradation crept in. For Nigeria to really experience a shift from it's present eye sore, a radical, stern and unrelenting methodology must be enacted. Oshiomole and fashola perfectly understands the Nigerian people and how best to reinstate their insanity (figuratively). Anyone having problems or opposing these radical change is stucked with the conveniences of the disorderly, disjointed, disfigured and destabilized Nigeria hence the defensive approach to anything referred to as change. Change is hard, difficult and a painful sacrifice not some cup-cake experience. Hate it or love it I have said my mind oooo.

Absolutely agree with you. Not only Nigerians, humans in general need Iron fist for change to take place. For China, Singapore to be this great, very tough measures were taken against corruption and environmental insanity. you are either jailed or summarily executed. In UAE now, if you spit on the ground you pay equivalent of N20k, for chewing gum, N40k...and of course you are registered as an offender. You can rake up more than N40 million (no joke) in traffic fines without knowing it because everywhere is monitored electronically. Na when you wan leave the country dem go give you your bill (or remain in jail) grin
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by Nobody: 3:34pm On Oct 11, 2012
megxo: wtf

[size=2pt] sumtin wrong? [/size]
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by honeric01(m): 3:37pm On Oct 11, 2012
keneri:
[size=13pt]
Absolutely agree with you. Not only Nigerians, humans in general need Iron fist for change to take place. For China, Singapore to be this great, very tough measures were taken against corruption and environmental insanity. you are either jailed or summarily executed. In UAE now, if you spit on the ground you pay equivalent of N20k, for chewing gum, N40k...and of course you are registered as an offender. You can rake up more than N40 million (no joke) in traffic fines without knowing it because everywhere is monitored electronically. Na when you wan leave the country dem go give you your bill (or remain in jail) grin
[/size]

OMG, yet the name "Dubai" never seizes from people's mouths when it comes to good and precious things, it takes discipline and orderliness to achieve civilization and industrialization, unfortunately, NIGERIANS are the MOST indisciplined and disorganized people on earth, LAW and ORDER is an abomination here.

3 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by naptu2: 3:44pm On Oct 11, 2012
If the article described what happened correctly, then the governor's actions are against the principles of administrative law. Nemo judex in causa sua.

He should have issued a query. The teachers have a right to be heard. If their reply to the query is not satisfactory, then disciplinary measures should be taken against them.

I'm not in support of arbitrary measures.
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by oyin50(f): 3:45pm On Oct 11, 2012
keneri:

. Thank u jor. All Nigerians want is always a pat on the back. Even in the U.S, you fight you go to jail, no compromises, there's actually a law where if kids miss school the parent goes to jail. Nigerians wants to run red lights if any, fight in public, jump cues, trash anything just anywhere, drink and drive all with impunity. The truth is I think a larger chunk of the populace do not really want societal change they only want money to oppress the financially unpriviledged.

3 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by redsun(m): 3:45pm On Oct 11, 2012
They signed in while they werent in the premises,that what fraud and gross negligence of duty and and possibly sacked too.
coming from teachers who exemplary role models,they deserve the boots.Those that sign them in should be investigated.

All hands must be on deck for nigeria to work.

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by Gracious10: 3:48pm On Oct 11, 2012
oyin50: . Thank u jor. All Nigerians want is always a pat on the back. Even in the U.S, you fight you go to jail, no compromises, there's actually a law where if kids miss school the parent goes to jail. Nigerians wants to run red lights if any, fight in public, jump cues, trash anything just anywhere, drink and drive all with impunity. The truth is I think a larger chunk of the populace do not really want societal change they only want money to oppress the financially unpriviledged.

I million likes and 10 huge hugs grin
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by GboyegaD(m): 3:58pm On Oct 11, 2012
mutiply: Too bad for those teachers,a query should have been issued rather than dismissing them.

He wants to be tagged an action governor. The motive behind what most of our politicians do can be so annoying!
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by GboyegaD(m): 4:03pm On Oct 11, 2012
asemota2012: What rigth are you talking about,rigth in lawlessness? this is how you people destroyed Nigeria.

Did he bother to know why they were late? Even in more saner climes, you would have your income deducted and at worst querried. He is just trying to gain some praises from people like you who do not know what lawlessness really means for he just acted lawlessly.
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by 2mch(m): 4:05pm On Oct 11, 2012
Very good. Too many lazy people in Nigeria. No wonder the kids are failing. When the teachers are absent, how are the kids going to lern? Who will teach? If they have other business keeping them away from work, now they have plenty time on their hands to attend to their various businesses. I think teachers all over the country should take assessment tests in their field of work. A lot of their qualifications are in very big doubt. Especially for government schools. Some cant even speak english or express themselves. Some dont even know what they are teaching.

3 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by GboyegaD(m): 4:05pm On Oct 11, 2012
Gracious10:

If u r ill? Yes u get paid. But if u are not nko? I live in sound economy and I can tell u unemployment are not for lazy bones. Now u talking sound economy..let's look at it this way.

1. How about calling to inform ur boss u would be late or u r stuck in traffic?

2. How about call-in in sick? Am sure that would have been on record.

3. How about someone signing in for u where u r not there? infact where I work, u sign in with ur finger prints.. So who has same thumb print as u? . So none is signing for u. If u r not there, u r not there! No wuruwuru in that.
You see Nigerians scream of change yet they lack it individually! You mean to tell me he's not investigated these issues before he fired them? How many of these teachers can be late everyday and still except to retain their jobs in sound economy? When we see things, can we pls apply the good ones if not for anything but for our conscience.

When I was in sec school, for 2 months, no teacher has stepped into class. It's not as if they are on strike. But if u go to their offices, either they are absent or present gossiping or even selling their merchandise. Pls call spade a spade!

And is that the best way to resolve this challenge? Does he visits schools everyday? And what is the function of his Commissioner for Education? People often times do not know their constitutional duties.
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by Freiburger(m): 4:06pm On Oct 11, 2012
GboyegaD:

And is that the best way to resolve this challenge? Does he visits schools everyday? And what is the function of his Commissioner for Education? People often times do not know their constitutional duties.
10likes
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by redsun(m): 4:08pm On Oct 11, 2012
GboyegaD:

He wants to be tagged an action governor. The motive behind what most of our politicians do can be so annoying!

This is a good action,which ever way you see it.Although i knoww nigerian teachers are under pressure because of the miserly wages they get for doing enourmous amount of work,but crooked teachers shouldnt be allowed around children.Teachers are the epitome of discipline.

Some nigerian civil servants are known for getting their wages without working.They are known as semi ghost workers that only goes to work wwhen it is time to receive their pay cheques.
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by GboyegaD(m): 4:11pm On Oct 11, 2012
honeric01:

If he visited the schools on Tuesday and he's sacked them on Wednesday, then do you think he gave them the opportunity to explain the reason for their lateness or absentism?
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by Nosenomo: 4:16pm On Oct 11, 2012
u have done well by that action.let it becomes a routine.
Let the Governor appoints an integrity and upright inspector officer(s) that would always visit the schools regularly across the 18 LGA.Not somebody that would see such opportunity as to make money rather a disciplinarian.if this is done, high learning standard will return to public schools.without which all effort by the gov.to improve quality of facilities in schools will be great waste.
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by Gracious10: 4:39pm On Oct 11, 2012
GboyegaD:

Yes, that's the best way to resolve it. Atleast some of these teachers will sit up. You keep forgetting that the best judge is our conscience. What happened to it? When u r given a job, do it diligently! The Gov doesn't need to visit schools everyday, the teachers needs to be in school everyday and on time too. All these lawless supporters club is unnecessary. if commissioner for Education can't do his job. Someone else can.

It's only when thieves visit ur house and rob u of ur prized possessions then u call naija a lawless nation but u as individuals are more lawless than those thieves. What u teach them is what they give back to u. There are people looking for a job and ready to be diligent about it. Lawless can never grow a nation.

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by Kelskelly(m): 4:42pm On Oct 11, 2012
davida222: But is Nigeria still in the stone age? i tort in anycivilized society u tender a querrie, b4 sackin someone. Oshomole shuld hav carrid out hes investigation, why dos teachers did not com to work ontime. b4 sackin them, 90% of dis teachers contributed for him still been d govnor of that state.
SERIOUSLY I'm surprised. DO HUMANS TO EARTH STILL COME WITH YOUR TYPE OF BRAIN?
You talk about civilized society. In a civilized society you call in sick, or call to let your superior know you are in a traffic jam. You don't get people to sign in on your behalf.
Then you now say because they voted for him. So he should let everybody in the state service become a truant just because they voted for him?
It amazes me that people like you walk around with mediocrity written all over you. I wonder how you'll bring to your own kids, when you dont even know right from wrong.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sokoto UNDP Coordinator Found Dead In Country Home / Why Exactly Was GEJ Voted Out? / Kwara State SME Recovery Fund For Looted Shop Owners

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.