Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,595 members, 7,809,155 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:46 AM

Is It Wrong To Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Company? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Wrong To Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Company? (10432 Views)

Is It Wrong To Call The Name Of Jesus During Sex? / Should A Christain (born Again) Work With British American Tobacco Company??? / Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Wrong To Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Company? by freelance(m): 4:40pm On Apr 16, 2006
Is It Right Or Wrong?

Is it wrong for a christian to work in companies like Nigerian Breweries, Bristish American Tobacc[/b]o (BAT) or [b]Guinness? What do you guys think about this?

Kindly share your views. Thanks.
Re: Is It Wrong To Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Company? by Ciaralover(f): 9:51pm On Apr 16, 2006
Its not wrong!!!!
Re: Is It Wrong To Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Company? by larger20(m): 2:04am On Apr 17, 2006
what kind of question is that? its not wrong , its not wrong for a christian to drink beer,
Re: Is It Wrong To Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Company? by Ynot(m): 2:09am On Apr 17, 2006
larger_20:

its not wrong for a christian to drink beer,

But its wrong if/when they get drunk.
Re: Is It Wrong To Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Company? by Rhodalyn(f): 2:15am On Apr 17, 2006
Ynot:

But its wrong if/when they get drunk.
it's only wrong when they get drunk n behave stupidly

no, it's not wrong for a christian to work in a Brewery company, it's work ya doin!
Re: Is It Wrong To Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Company? by Ynot(m): 2:21am On Apr 17, 2006
You have 90% chance of acting stupid when you're really wasted.
Re: Is It Wrong To Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Company? by larger20(m): 2:50am On Apr 17, 2006
Now it boild down to probability. Before a guy repents. he knows his limit of drinking. once he gets there, thats it. Any additional bottle might make him stupid. The number of bottle a person needs varies from person to person.

I know my dad used to drink outside but my mom was able to control him. Now he gets drunk inside our house to save him some respect. Poor guy.
Re: Is It Wrong To Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Company? by Free(f): 12:52am On Apr 19, 2006
hmmmm i will get back grin
Re: Is It Wrong To Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Company? by flyKUDE(m): 12:27pm On Apr 21, 2006
its not wrong one bit.jesus turned water into wine, remember? and tobacco is only a recent thing i've read the bible through and through several times,no mention of it.
Re: Is It Wrong To Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Company? by MIZIEYA: 3:47pm On Oct 04, 2006
Truly a christians place is in the home or begging on the street, being in this world but not of it. After all if one claims to be a christian employment is not on the agenda. Jesus never worked. jesus begged.Jesus lived by 'faith' He had rich courtesans paying his way. Therfore it s a christians duty to find a sugar daddy or mother to pay their way. In the meantime if you're filled with the holy spirit you can always draw in the crowds by fleecing them with parlour tricks. Who knows one day christianity will solve world hunger and poverty just by emulating jesus,

Summary

If you're a christian simply live by faith, it is unethical for a christian to be employed. Emulate jesus: be a pariah on the system and praise da lawd without ceasing. Thats what jesus did. So, be jesusesque and stop complaining about trivia and be a guest in this realm of existence.
Re: Is It Wrong To Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Company? by Radiant(f): 5:43pm On Oct 04, 2006
Lol what a question! If that was the only job for you, won't u take it? lol abeg it's not wrong smiley
Re: Is It Wrong To Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Company? by uchie(f): 5:55pm On Oct 04, 2006
I think this is a very good question because I have given this a lot of thought.

Even apart from my religious beliefs, I cannot work for a tobacco company for ethical reasons.
Have you even seen any one with lung cancer? the sole purpose of a tobacco company is to profit off people killing themselves.
Similar for an alcohol company,

And as a Christian, I think it is contradictory to my beliefs to contribute and promote smoking & drinking,

my 2 cents
Re: Is It Wrong To Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Company? by Radiant(f): 6:17pm On Oct 04, 2006
Uchie, what if you're supposed to work as their guard dat one too follow? undecided
Re: Is It Wrong To Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Company? by S1mpson(m): 6:41pm On Oct 04, 2006
Actually,2 me workin in an alcoholic company is not a good choice if u can get a beta alternative,as long as it is stated dat alcohol endangers life & tobacco smokin is dangerous 2 health so why  makin a livin from it .But in 9geria 2day,if i can get a job in a cocaine,heroine or marijuana making company cool cool cool cool cool,i think it`s all good,as long as i`m not a consuma cool cool cool cool coolcool
Re: Is It Wrong To Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Company? by okunnu1(m): 6:44pm On Oct 04, 2006
omo men there's nothing wrong in working in either of these companies and moreover before I'll think of working in a place like that i must have studied sumting related to it in school.so i don't think it's wrong
Re: Is It Wrong To Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Company? by Oracle(m): 7:35pm On Oct 04, 2006
I remember when we used to argue about this, my teacher used to say itz wrong coz you must taste it. But i believe if you don't wanna smoke or drink you definitely wouldn't.

There are no jobs available right now, a lot of graduates are roaming the streets without jobs and any job gotten should be grabbed with both hands.
Re: Is It Wrong To Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Company? by MIZIEYA: 8:05pm On Oct 04, 2006
Simpson: what is the difference between working for the tobacco and alcohol industry and working in the illegal drug industry/Cartel - even if you are not a consumer of drugs, alcohol or tobacco??

Your thoughtscape is bizarre and nonsensical.
Re: Is It Wrong To Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Company? by uchie(f): 8:40pm On Oct 04, 2006
I know that given the current unemployment situation in Nigeria, it will be tough to reject a job from one of these tobacco or alcohol companies. In that case, you might give u your ethics and morals for the sake of the job and money,

BUT from a Christian point of view, if you are truly a Christian, you will not even apply for such a job evenif u have been looking for a jobf for years, instead you will keep the faith that God will provide you with something even better,

That's my 2 cents
Re: Is It Wrong To Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Company? by donmayor(m): 9:17pm On Oct 04, 2006
It depends on what u believe in.If u believe it's wrong to smoke and drink, it's wicked to be involved in the production of wat u believe wrong. If u believe it's ok to smoke and drink, then work there. At least an anti-abortionist would never abort even though he would be heavily paid.
Re: Is It Wrong To Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Company? by segoye2(m): 9:20pm On Oct 04, 2006
Well, Working in a tobacco is a kinda not in line with Gods law.

You see, what ever thing that does not give value for life is not worthy of Jehovah.

Life is a gift from God, given to men to appreciate, even tobacco advert which you know, even in europe they know that is Dangerious to our health. Though you are not taking it in. But you are doing the marketing. Selling dealy item that will cause death to thousands of souls around and keep more thousands in life, waiting for when to die.

Life is precious, you can secure it. Jehovahs thoughts for you is not to kill or cause more harms to his wonderfully created creature (Human).

Keep keeping trying, better job will surely come ya way.
Re: Is It Wrong To Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Company? by MIZIEYA: 9:25pm On Oct 04, 2006
Seg- you state that: Life is precious, you can secure it. Jehovahs thoughts for you is not to kill or cause more harms to his wonderfully created creature (Human).

If thats the case- why do christians involve themselves with war? If life is a gift from god- then why do christian men and women work in the armed forces, factories where they make arms and so on? Or is this yet again another example by christians of double standards?
Re: Is It Wrong To Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Company? by Nobody: 10:32pm On Oct 04, 2006
MIZIEYA:

Seg- you state that: Life is precious, you can secure it. Jehovahs thoughts for you is not to kill or cause more harms to his wonderfully created creature (Human).

If thats the case- why do christians involve themselves with war? If life is a gift from god- then why do christian men and women work in the armed forces, factories where they make arms and so on? Or is this yet again another example by christians of double standards?

You speak like a child! The same Jehovah, the Jehovah shalom/the God of peace is the same God of war, the Lion of the tribe of Judah! The ONE who is the prince of peace is still the ALMIGHTY GOd before whom idol worshippers like you would still have to bow.

So that your father professes to love you, would you claim double standard when he punishes you for a wrong doing?
Re: Is It Wrong To Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Company? by katherinae(f): 10:51pm On Oct 04, 2006
lets just put it this way, its wrong to be broke
Re: Is It Wrong To Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Company? by Ynot(m): 10:55pm On Oct 04, 2006
MIZIEYA:

Good point. Again, should a christian avoid doing business with a bank that loans money to a tobacco company.
Re: Is It Wrong To Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Company? by Radiant(f): 11:39pm On Oct 04, 2006
lol if u guys don't stop, this topic will go way farther than expected.
Re: Is It Wrong To Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Company? by PDF: 11:45pm On Oct 04, 2006
Well, the question needs to be revivified. Workers in a tobacco or an alcohol industry are not just people in charge of cigarette or beer production alone. We also have engineers maintaining equipments and electrical works, people in the administrative section, causal workers, etc. What if you work as an accountant in Guinness or as an Elect Engineer or u are a driver. What do u have to say to that?
Re: Is It Wrong To Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Company? by MIZIEYA: 11:47pm On Oct 04, 2006
David:
1 You speak like a child!
2 The same Jehovah, the Jehovah shalom/the God of peace is the same God of war, the Lion of the tribe of Judah!
3 The ONE who is the prince of peace is still the ALMIGHTY GOd before whom idol worshippers like you would still have to bow.
4 So that your father professes to love you, would you claim double standard when he punishes you for a wrong doing?

[b]MIZIEYA:
Question: David are you impotent?

1 I am not aware that you have heard my talking voice- granted there is a possibility you may have heard my singing voice - the latter I may consider as being plausible whereas the former totally not.
2 Yes I know god is a god of war and of peace he is also the god who discloses in Isaiah 45:5-7 that he is a god of good and evil. Apart from being pointless - what is your point?
3 I have told you never to assume what I think or even what I do: Fact: MIZIEYA doesn't worship idols. However in saying that I suspect your god will smite your fellow christians for worshipping the following idols: the bible, money - think tv evangelists and other con artists for jesus.
3a) Yes I am familiar with the phrase "at the name of jesus every knee shall bow": why is it that christians don't bow to jesus but bow to every doctrine that claims christianity as its author?
3b) Since I do not acknowledge your version of Paganism as authority, or even as authentic- your hystrionics are somewhat redundent - but I do find you amusing. Perhaps you're the equivalent of the Village Fool?
4) Your god is not my father. And for your information- the judeo christian god has no concept of healthy love - what loving father annhilates whole tribes out of love? What loving father sends his supposed 'son' to die as an example? What loving father/husband abuses his wife (Israel) using the medium of fear to keep her in line? What loving father sells amorals as morals - consider the creation myth: adam and eve, cain and abel: a relationship based on incest.
4a) I could go on but suffice it to say - you can keep your 'god' and your pseudo religion- I prefer my brand of Perfection.
5) perhaps it might be an idea to answer the threads question: or is this an indicator that because you do not understand the question- means you express your own ignorance through rants at others?
6) Clearly my point was made and you cannot dispute it: coherently or otherwse.

[/b]
Re: Is It Wrong To Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Company? by Nobody: 12:11am On Oct 05, 2006
MIZIEYA:

3 I have told you never to assume what I think or even what I do: Fact: MIZIEYA doesn't worship idols.

No MIZIEYA only worships "things" that are the hallmarks of idol worship!
Re: Is It Wrong To Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Company? by MIZIEYA: 12:15am On Oct 05, 2006
David: can you substantiate what these '"things" that are the hallmarks of idol worship!' actually are?

And while you're at it: answer my question: are you impotent?

Remember I paid you a compliment that you would make an adequate janitor - I am sure no one else has said the same to you - even if they have thought it.

And could you answer the threads question?

<Smiles Indulgently>
Re: Is It Wrong To Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Company? by Rhea(f): 8:13am On Oct 05, 2006
It is wrong to work in a brewery or tobacco company cheesy, just as it is wrong:

1. To work in a car manufacturing company because cars kill people and people die

2. To work in a government parastatal because government is corrupt and makes people to suffer and die

3. To work in an oil company because all they do is to pollute the environment; people inhale contaminated air, then get cancer and die

4. To work in a law firm. Lawyers condemn people to death. Remember the bible?? Judge not and you will not be judged. Condemn not, grin

5. To work in a pharmaceutical outfit. Ever tried to take 10 tablets of actifed at the same time.

People, the list is endless. If your moral values prohibits you from working in BA Tobacco or NB PLC, then step aside and let some moral-less bloke to get a job and get paid.
Re: Is It Wrong To Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Company? by shadoghale(m): 9:49am On Oct 05, 2006
Hi Guys I have thought about this same topic. But look, most of us have turned fanatical Christians, that we no longer reason objectively. Now you work for the Banks that Finance these Companies, You benefit one way from their provision of water to your community,you buy their shears etc If you join a thief to eat what he stole what are you ? In fact the MD of BAT does not smoke!!, niether does the CEO of Nigeria Breweries get Drunk on his job, he wont be their by now,
Now you read Micro Biology and you dont want to work their?? well, Dont let your illitrate Pastor deceive you, these Cos are providing a service.
Re: Is It Wrong To Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Company? by simmy(m): 5:18pm On Oct 05, 2006
is it rite 4 a xtian to be a soldier?
if u can answer that then u can answer your question
Nb,  the question is deeper than it seems o, it requires very careful thought
@rhea
i feel u but a car wasnt made to kill people, beer was made to intoxicate, so thers a difference

(1) (2) (Reply)

Daddy Adeboye Is Innocent / Nigeria’s Looming Economic Troubles Is A Sign Of End Times / Penam Percy Paul Glory Song Series: Which One Is Your Favourite Album And Track.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.