Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,286 members, 7,818,977 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:16 AM

Northern Muslims And The Nigerian Civil War: Between Achebe And Other Igbo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Northern Muslims And The Nigerian Civil War: Between Achebe And Other Igbo (1145 Views)

Okorocha, Ogbonnaya Onu Led Barth Nnaji Other Igbo Leaders To Buhari (pics) / Ribadu, Sanusi, El-rufai And Northern Muslims Under Fire. / Sheik Gumi - Yakowa And Azazi Died While Plotting Against Northern Muslims (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Northern Muslims And The Nigerian Civil War: Between Achebe And Other Igbo by LocalChamp: 4:55pm On Oct 13, 2012
Northern Muslims and the Nigerian Civil War: Between Achebe and other Igbo intellectuals .

Friday, 12 October 2012 00:00 By Ibraheem A. Waziri Features - Policy & Politics

It’s just that ignorance reign in Nigeria or our public intellectuals do not have passion for details and deep philosophical enquiry into the nature and realities of our socio-cultural formation and its history for the best of their opinions. These can be the only open and not so stretched explanations to Chinua Achebe’s blatant, below status and insincere depiction of the Nigerian Civil War of 1967 to 70 in the light of a so called jihadist expansionist goal of Muslims of northern Nigeria. The opinion summary of his latest book, There Was a Country, as he published in The Guardian of London Tuesday, 2nd 2012, make bold this meaningless assertion:

“But if the diabolical disregard for human life seen during the war was not due to the northern military elite’s jihadist or genocidal obsession, then why were there more small arms used on Biafran soil than during the entire second world war? Why were there 100,000 casualties on the much larger Nigerian side compared with more than 2 million–mainly children–Biafrans killed?”

Needless to mention that Achebe is not alone in this kind of portrayal that is typical of recent Igbo ‘intellectuals’ when it comes to discussing the civil war. The task of re-educating them and the crop of their students is therefore necessary if the dream of a greater Nigeria in fair neighbourliness is to be realised.

Yes, northern Nigerians are mainly and majorly proud and faithful Muslims with unique culture and a record of close interactions with other world civilisations since time. They have for long known and understood that not everybody must look like them or believe in what they believed in, before peace, social cohesion and fair neighborliness are justifiably established. In fact it can be authoritatively said that northern Nigeria of the 1960s, formed one the most cosmopolitan and accommodating social spaces in the whole world.

When the former Ghanaian president Kwame Nkrumah wanted to initiate and draft then Nigeria’s Prime Minister Abubakar Tafawa Balewa and the Premier of the Northern Region Ahmadu Bello into his Pan-Africanism, they clearly told him that they were not racists and believed in the universal nature of truth, justice, fairness and equality of humankind regardless of race or ethnicity and that reflected the way they managed northern Nigeria and the country in general.

It was this world-view with its values and norms guiding intra and inter-pinning of human relations that saw a northern Nigeria of the 1960s as a home to many Igbo. In modern history the top one percent of the most literate and influential Igbo personalities once lived in northern Nigeria or spoke Hausa, the dominant language in the North. It was here that Major Chukuma Kaduna Nzeogwu’s parents settled and gave birth to him in 1937. He grew up with all opportunities unhindered and got the award of love, justice and trust of the then Premier of the Northern Region, Sir Ahmadu Bello until he finally, easily and safely got access to him, in the night, in his house, in the privacy of his bedroom and killed him in front of his wife with no struggle, no any suspecting guard to check him or even ask him hard questions. It is finished. Brutus killed his Caesar in cold blood of treachery, hatred and breach of trust. Describing a similar situation in the same operation kill, where Major Ifeajuna, an Igbo soldier and Major Nzeagwu’s co-kill planner and partner, shot Brigadier Maimalari, Bernard Odogwu, an Igbo Nigerian diplomat at the times of the events, in his book, No Place to Hide - Crises and Conflicts inside Biafra, clearly put it, “I am particularly shocked at the news that Major Ifeajuna personally shot and killed his mentor, Brigadier Maimalari. My God! That must have been Caesar and Brutus come alive...”

What then could have been the fate of other Igbo in many parts of the North who enjoyed the same love, trust and protection of the other northerners who began to see a new streak of arrogance, condescension in the behavior of the Igbo, who were illusioned in the new leadership of General Ironsi to the extent that, as told by our parents, they used to mock the northerners, imitating the cries and squeaks of Abubakar Tafawa Balewa before he died in the hands of Major Ifeajuna. Still Igbo intellectuals engage in this mockery as the Nigerian military historian Max Siollun, recently re-told the story of Nzeogwu’s kill, which clearly portrayed Ahmadu Bello as a coward and a simpleton, who hide behind his wife when he saw that Nzeagwu was certain to get him. These provocations and the details of stories such as captured by David Muffett, a British colonial officer who wrote the account of the 1966 coup in a book titled, Let Truth Be Told, outlining the Igbo elite’s detailed plan to take control of not only the political structures but even the social structures of the North by killing all the then northern emirs in the final.

Some including Achebe are still contesting that the kill was not an Igbo carefully planned affair but rather a coup plotted against all Nigerian leaders of then. Yet all Igbo in prominent positions were missed in the fire and it was said Dr. Nnamdi Azikwe was missed because he was out of the country for a medical checkup. The question is could they have missed Sir Ahmadu Bello or Abubakar Tafawa Balewa if any was on a medical trip or they would have postponed the operations for more appropriate date that would guarantee and ensure an all inclusive kill?

Yet, the pogroms that followed the events and the civil war were unfortunate (more objective details of which were written by Elechi Amadi in Sunset at Biafra). But the characterisation of northerners as Muslim jihadists who were already prepared and ready to stage a ‘holy jihad’ against Igbo, as a reason for the war is very untrue and intellectually insincere. Just because Igbo intellectuals have to find reasons then it doesn’t mean every reason must be dashed out. Just because they need someone to blame doesn’t mean the 21st century image of fundamentalist Islam must be projected backward into the story of Nigeria to justify a perspective.

Besides what religion did the major actors of the war on the federal side professed? General Yakubu Gowon, General Theopilus Danjuma and General Joseph Garba, were Christians. Chief Awolowo, the intellectual architect of the war was a Christian. General Olusegun Obasanjo and General Adekunle were all not northerners. The prominent name in the commands that is a core Muslim northerner was only General Murtala Muhammed. Even if all the others were Muslims, what sense could it have made for the Muslims to have fought the Igbo only to establish the leadership of General Yakubu Gowon who was a Christian, the same and only reason they supposedly could have fought the Igbo? Gowon enjoyed the support of all Muslim northerners as my good friend Alhaji Yakubu Musa, currently a media assistant to President Goodluck Jonathan, who is from a devout Muslim family, once mentioned how he was named Yakubu in celebration of Gowon’s visit to Kano on a day that coincided with his birthday.

No. The truth of the matter is Igbo betrayed the trust given to them in the then northern Nigeria by the singular act of betrayal of Nzeagwu on Ahmadu Bello and the subsequent poor management of their relationship with their hosts that bred suspicion of complicity in the plans of the kill and a thought of greater conspiracy.

The way forward is not to employ a wider and more efficient propaganda machinery to score cheap sympathy and sponsor the production of a sensationalist movie in the Holly Wood, Tears of the Sun, starring Bruce Willis and displaying that northern Nigerian Muslim Hausa will attempt to do the same in the present Nigeria and in the recent future and can be stopped only by the Americans.

The way forward is to always tell the truth, accept faults, take responsibilities for errors and constantly preach the gospel of keeping trust, commitments and fair neighbourliness. Let’s make the younger generation and the entire world know that we are one in Nigeria and the top one per cent of Igbo most informed political and public intellectuals lived in the North or even spoke Hausa.

This ranging from Chinua Achebe himself, Cyprian Ekwensi, Major Chukwuma Kaduna Nzeagwu, General Emeka Ojukwu or Dr. Nnamdi Azikwe. Cyprian Ekwensi even copied and translated the literary work of my uncle; John Tafida Umaru titled, Jiki Magayi, from Hausa to English, titled it, African Night Entertainment, and dubbed it his own without acknowledgement, adding to his literary stock, achievement and fame. The world must know the good contribution their living in the North and speaking its language brought into their skills and perspectives, that, which won them the accolades they so celebrate and rejoice in, today. A fact, which they and their friends always want to hide!

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=101334:northern-muslims-and-the-nigerian-civil-war-between-achebe-and-other-igbo-intellectuals-&catid=73:policy-a-politics&Itemid=607
Re: Northern Muslims And The Nigerian Civil War: Between Achebe And Other Igbo by Akshow: 5:16pm On Oct 13, 2012
Hmmm i have always known that this bigoted memoir of achebe wil open a canker worm that even himself will not be able to explain. I would like to know why the Igbos are so troublesome. They hate the hausas, despise the yoruba, treat the north central wit their condescendin i better pas you attitude, are at logger head wit the ijaw. Feel They are better than the Ibibios, Dont see face to face wit the edos etc. Me think the average Igbo man needs to look an address certain issue in his personality. Thanks
Re: Northern Muslims And The Nigerian Civil War: Between Achebe And Other Igbo by Germannig: 5:28pm On Oct 13, 2012
Akshow: Hmmm i have always known that this bigoted memoir of achebe wil open a canker worm that even himself will not be able to explain. I would like to know why the Igbos are so troublesome. They hate the hausas, despise the yoruba, treat the north central wit their condescendin i better pas you attitude, are at logger head wit the ijaw. Feel They are better than the Ibibios, Dont see face to face wit the edos etc. Me think the average Igbo man needs to look an address certain issue in his personality. Thanks

It will be good to explain how Igbos hate Ijaw, Edo, Ibibio and others? It is good to have the right to prattle on cyberspace, but it behoves on you to prove yourself. Is it the same Igbos who voted for an Ijaw man 100% while you Yorubas were busy stabbing Buhari and Ribadu at the back that you say hate Ijaws? Hahahah! Nothing person no go read for Nairaland

And yes, Igbos have a problem with Hausa/Fulani and Yoruba for the reason that they tried, albeit unsuccessfully, to exterminate them. I do not see how you will love your enemy who tried to kill you and have refused to apologize.

1 Like

Re: Northern Muslims And The Nigerian Civil War: Between Achebe And Other Igbo by Akshow: 5:43pm On Oct 13, 2012
Germannig:

It will be good to explain how Igbos hate Ijaw, Edo, Ibibio and others? It is good to have the right to prattle on cyberspace, but it behoves on you to prove yourself.

And yes, Igbos have a problem with Hausa/Fulani and Yoruba for the reason that they tried, albeit unsuccessfully, to exterminate them. I do not see how you will love your enemy who tried to kill you and have refused to apologize.
Its my honest opinion from the observation of How Igbos relate wit people around them that prompted my question. You Cant sit behind your computer and honestly tell me that an average ijaw Ibibio or other south south trust Igbos and vice versa. Why are Igbos very troublesome
Re: Northern Muslims And The Nigerian Civil War: Between Achebe And Other Igbo by Germannig: 5:47pm On Oct 13, 2012
Akshow: Its my honest opinion from the observation of How Igbos relate wit people around them that prompted my question. You Cant sit behind your computer and honestly tell me that an average ijaw Ibibio or other south south trust Igbos and vice versa. Why are Igbos very troublesome

And who trusts who in Nigeria? Do you even trust your next door neighbour in Nigeria?
Did you say Igbos are troublesome? If so, could you give an example of where Igbos have targeted the lives and properties of other Nigerians in Igboland or outside Igboland?

What are the reasons why people hate others? Let me put it directly, why do those Nigerians who hate Igbos do so? COULD IT BE JEALOUSY?

You said Igbos hate Ijaw? Pray tell who voted for Jonathan to be the president?
Re: Northern Muslims And The Nigerian Civil War: Between Achebe And Other Igbo by Akshow: 5:56pm On Oct 13, 2012
Germannig:

And who trusts who in Nigeria? Do you even trust your next door neighbour in Nigeria?
Did you say Igbos are troublesome? If so, could you give an example of where Igbos have targeted the lives and properties of other Nigerians in Igboland or outside Igboland?

What are the reasons why people hate others? Let me put it directly, why do those Nigerians who hate Igbos do so? COULD IT BE JEALOUSY?

You said Igbos hate Ijaw? Pray tell who voted for Jonathan to be the president?
people jealous of Igbos you sayi Lol. Now this is the core of my question. The condescendin attitude of most Igbos They feel They are better than others and try to rub it in while others refuse to be dominated. You jus answered my question thanks. Fyi goodluck was voted by Nigerians not only Igbos. And the fact still remain Igbos are at logger head wit every one even themselves.
Re: Northern Muslims And The Nigerian Civil War: Between Achebe And Other Igbo by Germannig: 6:01pm On Oct 13, 2012
Akshow: people jealous of Igbos you sayi Lol. Now this is the core of my question. The condescendin attitude of most Igbos They feel They are better than others and try to rub it in while others refuse to be dominated. You jus answered my question thanks. Fyi goodluck was voted by Nigerians not only Igbos. And the fact still remain Igbos are at logger head wit every one even themselves.

If Igbos are at loggerheads with everyone (a big fat lie of course), there should be the evidence to show that. And if they are, those who are at loggerheads with them also have a problem because it takes two to tango. Why are you at loggerheads with Igbos? Are you envious that after trying to kill them 40 years ago, they have bounced back and now better than the rest of you economically and even buying up your territories? Hey Igbos own 75% of Abuja and 50% of Lagos. Is that what you cannot live with?

Igbo gave Jonathan 100% vote
How many votes did the SW give him?
How many did the North give him?
Re: Northern Muslims And The Nigerian Civil War: Between Achebe And Other Igbo by Akshow: 6:19pm On Oct 13, 2012
50percent of Lagos and 70percent of abuja? What an audacious blatant falsehood. My guy, the earlier you snap out of your dream and face reality the better. Secondly What makes you think Igbos are more prosperous than other tribes? Your condescending i better pass every body attitude i guess. Finally, me think Its the Igbos that are jealous and bitter about been led by people They despise. Its such a terrible way to live. I feel their bitterness but They should try leavin in peace and harmony wit others
Re: Northern Muslims And The Nigerian Civil War: Between Achebe And Other Igbo by Germannig: 6:22pm On Oct 13, 2012
Akshow: 50percent of Lagos and 70percent of abuja? What an audacious blatant falsehood. My guy, the earlier you snap out of your dream and face reality the better. Secondly What makes you think Igbos are more prosperous than other tribes? Your condescending i better pass every body attitude i guess. Finally, me think Its the Igbos that are jealous and bitter about been led by people They despise. Its such a terrible way to live. I feel their bitterness but They should try leavin in peace and harmony wit others

You are too small to blackmail anyone with your ''Igbo hate Edo, Ijaw, Ibibio, etc'' crap. I won't argue about Yoruba and part of the North. We are only reciprocating the hatred they have shown on us. Yet we have not gone out of our way to attack or destroy their own like they do to us. We are more mature than that.

Yes Igbos own 75% of Abuja, so says El'Rufai, former Abuja minister who knows better than you.
Re: Northern Muslims And The Nigerian Civil War: Between Achebe And Other Igbo by Germannig: 6:23pm On Oct 13, 2012
Akshow: 50percent of Lagos and 70percent of abuja? What an audacious blatant falsehood. My guy, the earlier you snap out of your dream and face reality the better. Secondly What makes you think Igbos are more prosperous than other tribes? Your condescending i better pass every body attitude i guess. Finally, me think Its the Igbos that are jealous and bitter about been led by people They despise. Its such a terrible way to live. I feel their bitterness but They should try leavin in peace and harmony wit others

Who is leading who? Northerners and SWners are crying that Jonathan has handed everything to the Igbo. Do you live in planet Mars?
Re: Northern Muslims And The Nigerian Civil War: Between Achebe And Other Igbo by Germannig: 6:24pm On Oct 13, 2012

el-Rufai: Igbos Own 73% of Abuja Land

https://www.nairaland.com/54751/el-rufai-igbos-own-73-abuja
Re: Northern Muslims And The Nigerian Civil War: Between Achebe And Other Igbo by Akshow: 6:29pm On Oct 13, 2012
Germannig:

el-Rufai: Igbos Own 73% of Abuja Land

https://www.nairaland.com/54751/el-rufai-igbos-own-73-abuja
Waitin for that of Lagos
Re: Northern Muslims And The Nigerian Civil War: Between Achebe And Other Igbo by Germannig: 6:30pm On Oct 13, 2012
Akshow: Waitin for that of Lagos

You will apologize first for your ignorance, would you?
Re: Northern Muslims And The Nigerian Civil War: Between Achebe And Other Igbo by Germannig: 6:33pm On Oct 13, 2012
Akshow: Waitin for that of Lagos

Waiting for your explanation and evidence of Igbos hating Ibibio, Ijaw, Edo and the rest of them (ex Yoruba and Hausa/Fulani)

1 Like

Re: Northern Muslims And The Nigerian Civil War: Between Achebe And Other Igbo by abouzaid: 6:39pm On Oct 13, 2012
Pls i want to beg all igbos to stop responding to all this provocations. Pls stop responding to this thread. If this jobless ppl can't handle the truth, then let them sumersault and die, adiro abuo ayi ara, hapu fa ka fa yiba ara. Bikonu.
Re: Northern Muslims And The Nigerian Civil War: Between Achebe And Other Igbo by Nobody: 7:12pm On Oct 13, 2012
Good job germannig! you just put a fool where he belong grin with his igbo hate ibibio, hate ijaw etc lol why dont he end with igbo hate yoruba or hausa but he wants to add isi ewu to his comment grin if its about hausa/yoruba, jst like they hate igbo aswell.
Re: Northern Muslims And The Nigerian Civil War: Between Achebe And Other Igbo by bashr8: 7:20pm On Oct 13, 2012
Toaskarity: Good job germannig! you just put a fool where he belong grin with his igbo hate ibibio, hate ijaw etc lol why dont he end with igbo hate yoruba or hausa but he wants to add isi ewu to his comment grin if its about hausa/yoruba, jst like they hate igbo aswell.
dont mind the fool , he thought he would get away with the comment ,maybe by the time the repeat it several times that igbos hate ibibio, ijaw etc it becomes the truth.
Re: Northern Muslims And The Nigerian Civil War: Between Achebe And Other Igbo by Akshow: 7:33pm On Oct 13, 2012
Toaskarity: Good job germannig! you just put a fool where he belong grin with his igbo hate ibibio, hate ijaw etc lol why dont he end with igbo hate yoruba or hausa but he wants to add isi ewu to his comment grin if its about hausa/yoruba, jst like they hate igbo aswell.
lost bitter lots. Continue wallowin in self pity and finger pointin when the rest of the world are movin on. as i said earlier, i understand you bitterness seein those you hate lord over you. May be an Igbo can become president in the next decade. Troublesome lots
Re: Northern Muslims And The Nigerian Civil War: Between Achebe And Other Igbo by Akshow: 7:48pm On Oct 13, 2012
bashr8: dont mind the fool , he thought he would get away with the comment ,maybe by the time the repeat it several times that igbos hate ibibio, ijaw etc it becomes the truth.
sick momfo, get off your high horse and try leavin in peace wit others. Always at logger head wit everyone. North, They are there causin trouble, west Same. Stay in your flooded area, mba. Yet They cause trouble for all. Rawbish bitter people.
Re: Northern Muslims And The Nigerian Civil War: Between Achebe And Other Igbo by Germannig: 8:03pm On Oct 13, 2012
Akshow: sick momfo, get off your high horse and try leavin in peace wit others. Always at logger head wit everyone. North, They are there causin trouble, west Same. Stay in your flooded area, mba. Yet They cause trouble for all. Rawbish bitter people.

You are a liar, a loser and a fake blackmailer. On top of those, you are an ignorant illiterate.
Re: Northern Muslims And The Nigerian Civil War: Between Achebe And Other Igbo by Nobody: 5:26pm On Oct 14, 2012
Akshow: sick momfo, get off your high horse and try leavin in peace wit others. Always at logger head wit everyone. North, They are there causin trouble, west Same. Stay in your flooded area, mba. Yet They cause trouble for all. Rawbish bitter people.

yes sir! We will try LEAVIN in peace with others! grin
Re: Northern Muslims And The Nigerian Civil War: Between Achebe And Other Igbo by patanjaly: 9:54pm On Oct 14, 2012
Sometimes i wonder how igbos never learn from their mistake by investing in other peoples land n they are even proud of it.what will happen to ur properties in abuja n lagos when there is another civil war?

(1) (Reply)

Taraba State Governor Dead- Is It True? / Gen. Ateke Tom Leads Ex Militants Against Ameachi. / Buhari Govt Jailed Journalists For Error In Names

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.