Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,343 members, 7,957,912 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 12:46 AM

From The Governors, Fashola Is The Only One Fit To Be President. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / From The Governors, Fashola Is The Only One Fit To Be President. (20528 Views)

Buhari Drops Governors Fashola And Fayemi From Ministerial List / EXCLUSIVE: Atiku Snubs Rochas Okorocha At The Governors Gathering(pictures) / 2015 Presidential Election: How The Governors Stand (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

From The Governors, Fashola Is The Only One Fit To Be President. by Ikengawo: 5:10pm On Oct 13, 2012

88 Likes

Re: From The Governors, Fashola Is The Only One Fit To Be President. by Ikengawo: 5:14pm On Oct 13, 2012
If we're talking about governors, the ones in the east except Amaechi and Sullivan are mediocre at best.
If we want to talk about Igbo presidency lets truly bring our BEST. Our Barth Nnaji, even Okonjo Iweala for as much as the fraudulent 'occupy nigeria' tribalism demostration tried to paint her as evil, she's brilliant, she's a global leader of women and finance, and she presents ideas that have saved nigeria before (Sovereign Wealth Fund, budget benchmarking) that are of an international standard.

and yes i fully believe we need to get rid of the stupid subsidy and put the money where it counts.
either way these are two igbo people that are global thinkers. Our state politics are still occupied largely by village champions and local thinkers.

5 Likes

Re: From The Governors, Fashola Is The Only One Fit To Be President. by Sunofgod(m): 5:17pm On Oct 13, 2012
Sounds like you've spent too much time in Lagos.

I always recommend Igbo's in Lagos visit their states of origin at least once every 2 years or they start to go mad and think they are yoruba's.

There is nothing more embarrasing than seeing an Igbo man who cant speak Igbo but can blow yoruba with the best of them.

It's like seeing a dog that thinks its now a cat - An Igbo man who thinks he's youruba.

15 Likes

Re: From The Governors, Fashola Is The Only One Fit To Be President. by 175(m): 5:27pm On Oct 13, 2012
Sun of god: Sounds like you've spent too much time in Lagos.

I always recommend Igbo's in Lagos visit their states of origin at least once every 2 years or they start to go mad and think they are yoruba's.

There is nothing more embarrasing than seeing an Igbo man who cant speak Igbo but can blow yoruba with the best of them.

It's like seeing a dog that thinks its now a cat - An Igbo man who thinks he's youruba.

come on guy be objective. Am neither Ibo nor Yoruba. But i tend to agree with d op dat BRF is miles away from d pack of Govs. Dat guy is a tinker c.u.m administrator. My only prblm wit him is Tinubu.

15 Likes

Re: From The Governors, Fashola Is The Only One Fit To Be President. by SkyBlue1: 6:07pm On Oct 13, 2012
Ikengawo: I'm an igbo man, and I'm not against talk of an igbo presidency in the least way.
But I will say, if we must select from governors, the ONLY one fit to be president of the nation is Babatunde Fashola.

I say so because I don't believe he's the only governor that's performing and many can argue that others have out achieved him.
My main reason for saying what i'm saying is that Fashola is a modern thinker. He's the only governor that isn't playing 'catch up' with the rest of the world, but
also introducing ideas that are ahead of rest of the world's cities.

He's the poster child for dealing with urbanization world wide and every nation acknowledges this. The other 'good' governors are giving their states the things the rest of the
world has as a lower quality most of the time. Fashola is doing this and introducing new ideas, leading the path, and Nigeria will be nothing if it can't lead the world.

recently i saw on Channels TV that they're using recycled plastics to replace sewer covers. This is brilliant, and it's something nobody else has thought of. Using modern techniques and innovation to solve problems.
I respect Amaechi, Oshiomole, Sullivan, Obi, Lamido, Imoke, and Akpabio but i feel Fashola is the only innovator in this group and that's what Nigeria needs more than anything. He doesn't see himself as a 'nigerian governor' competing with nigerian governors, he's a international leader competing with the rest of the human race.

This is the mentality nigeria needs to head in a different direction. Igbos shouldn't be competing with Yoruba and Yoruba shouldn't be competeing with Hausa because we're all failing. Lets start competing with the Japanese, the Germans, the Turks the French and the Americans. Fashola represents a break away from 'village champion' mentality in Nigeria.

Agreed. That is ACTUALLY the reason I like Fashola, his innovative approach to some of the problems being faced by developing cities. Compared with some initiatives I have seen in countries like Indonesia, I won't rank Fashola as close to the top tier in this global innovative governance but AT LEAST he can attempt and he has shown DEEP THINKING behind some of his policies, working with tight financial contraints. Governing Nigerians is bad enough but Lagos is another thing. My only worry about him nationally is the Tinubu influence.

Lets see if Akpaibo can keep up pace of development in Akwa Ibom for another two years. I reserve my Amaechi commentary till end of the year when he said Port Harcourt would have twenty four hours power (he's made good headway in education and health though). The rest of the pack are neither here nor there. At least Fashola has maintained good pace since he got into office.

Non gubernatorial candidates that could be interesting that come to mind . . . . Nnaji. Would reserve commentary for Iweala till a year's time.

2 Likes

Re: From The Governors, Fashola Is The Only One Fit To Be President. by EkoIle1: 6:24pm On Oct 13, 2012
175:

come on guy be objective. Am neither Ibo nor Yoruba. But i tend to agree with d op dat BRF is miles away from d pack of Govs. Dat guy is a tinker c.u.m administrator. My only prblm wit him is Tinubu.

If the man is capable of doing what you admire him for with Tinubu in his life, I hope and pray that Tinubu remain in his life. Even sef, I thnk other leaders in Nigeria need Tinubu in their lives since his influence in Lagos is performing magic...

13 Likes

Re: From The Governors, Fashola Is The Only One Fit To Be President. by EkoIle1: 6:27pm On Oct 13, 2012
Sky Blue:

Agreed. That is ACTUALLY the reason I like Fashola, his innovative approach to some of the problems being faced by developing cities. Compared with some initiatives I have seen in countries like Indonesia, I won't rank Fashola as close to the top tier in this global innovative governance but AT LEAST he can attempt and he has shown DEEP THINKING behind some of his policies, working with tight financial contraints. Governing Nigerians is bad enough but Lagos is another thing. My only worry about him nationally is the Tinubu influence.

Lets see if Akpaibo can keep up pace of development in Akwa Ibom for another two years. I reserve my Amaechi commentary till end of the year when he said Port Harcourt would have twenty four hours power (he's made good headway in education and health though). The rest of the pack are neither here nor there. At least Fashola has maintained good pace since he got into office.

Non gubernatorial candidates that could be interesting that come to mind . . . . Nnaji. Would reserve commentary for Iweala till a year's time.

If the man is capable of doing what you admire him for with Tinubu in his life, I hope and pray that Tinubu remain in his life. Even sef, I thnk other leaders in Nigeria need Tinubu in their lives since his influence in Lagos is performing magic...

1 Like

Re: From The Governors, Fashola Is The Only One Fit To Be President. by AB10(m): 7:10pm On Oct 13, 2012
One day...
Re: From The Governors, Fashola Is The Only One Fit To Be President. by Blackbody20(m): 7:15pm On Oct 13, 2012
Fashola is really a great thinker judging through his innovations. This is what we need in every state of the federation. Most of leaders lack concepts and idea on what good governance is all about. SMH.

3 Likes

Re: From The Governors, Fashola Is The Only One Fit To Be President. by Nobody: 7:15pm On Oct 13, 2012
Eko Ile:

Well said! What happened to Orji Kalu,an approximate equivalent of Tinubu for T.A Orji?

3 Likes

Re: From The Governors, Fashola Is The Only One Fit To Be President. by rman: 7:17pm On Oct 13, 2012
What has Tinubu done to some people?

If Fashola is good, we should just admitt it, instead of bringing this myopic angle of Tinubu all the time.

2 Likes

Re: From The Governors, Fashola Is The Only One Fit To Be President. by packman: 7:18pm On Oct 13, 2012
WE PRAY OOOO MAKE HE EVEN SEE VICE PRESIDO BEFORE HIM DIE
Re: From The Governors, Fashola Is The Only One Fit To Be President. by scribble: 7:22pm On Oct 13, 2012
Anybody that even says amaechi is a good governor must be mentally sick.

look at aluu, if the governor spent his peoples money truly delivering dividends of democracy to his people instead of buying private jets and armored luxury vehicles, then maybe the people would be less poverty stricken and illiterate.

3 Likes

Re: From The Governors, Fashola Is The Only One Fit To Be President. by Gbawe: 7:25pm On Oct 13, 2012
Ikengawo: I'm an igbo man, and I'm not against talk of an igbo presidency in the least way.
But I will say, if we must select from governors, the ONLY one fit to be president of the nation is Babatunde Fashola.

I say so because I don't believe he's the only governor that's performing and many can argue that others have out achieved him.
My main reason for saying what i'm saying is that Fashola is a modern thinker. He's the only governor that isn't playing 'catch up' with the rest of the world, but
also introducing ideas that are ahead of rest of the world's cities.

He's the poster child for dealing with urbanization world wide and every nation acknowledges this. The other 'good' governors are giving their states the things the rest of the
world has as a lower quality most of the time. Fashola is doing this and introducing new ideas, leading the path, and Nigeria will be nothing if it can't lead the world.

recently i saw on Channels TV that they're using recycled plastics to replace sewer covers. This is brilliant, and it's something nobody else has thought of. Using modern techniques and innovation to solve problems.
I respect Amaechi, Oshiomole, Sullivan, Obi, Lamido, Imoke, and Akpabio but i feel Fashola is the only innovator in this group and that's what Nigeria needs more than anything. He doesn't see himself as a 'nigerian governor' competing with nigerian governors, he's a international leader competing with the rest of the human race.

This is the mentality nigeria needs to head in a different direction. Igbos shouldn't be competing with Yoruba and Yoruba shouldn't be competeing with Hausa because we're all failing. Lets start competing with the Japanese, the Germans, the Turks the French and the Americans. Fashola represents a break away from 'village champion' mentality in Nigeria.

Indeed. We say this all the time but many simply don't care to listen. We are all failing. That is the sad truth. We need our best administrators to be involved in the effort to turn Nigeria round. Of course Fashola should be a very strong candidate to be President if Nigeria is a Country where simple things are not deliberately made complicated. Alas this is not the reality. Nigeria does need a "man of ideas" as you put it but there are powerful people and a very entrenched patronage system not interested in that concept. They prefer their 'establishment boys, who are always mindless and mediocre stooges, to keep occupying Aso Rock.

7 Likes

Re: From The Governors, Fashola Is The Only One Fit To Be President. by EkoIle1: 7:28pm On Oct 13, 2012
rman: What has Tinubu done to some people?

If Fashola is good, we should just admitt it, instead of bringing this myopic angle of Tinubu all the time.

I don't get the Tinubu fixation, it's plain stupid.

1 Like

Re: From The Governors, Fashola Is The Only One Fit To Be President. by Nobody: 7:29pm On Oct 13, 2012
Nigeria does not need a veteran Politician as President anymore. These jobless politicians for fear of unknown steal even the last coin in the treasury before leaving office. Who we need is a Technocrat and Businessman with tested and trusted acumen.

Fashola has not proven to me yet, that he is able to think independent of Tinubu, when he proves to me that he can think alone as an SAN that he is and not being pushed around by Tinubu, then I will sacrifice my vote. Same way I sacrificed for GEJ, but that will be in 2019. Cos Aso Rock will not be vacant till then.

2 Likes

Re: From The Governors, Fashola Is The Only One Fit To Be President. by Maxymilliano(m): 7:29pm On Oct 13, 2012
No doubt about it, Fashola is a Presidential material and same thing applies to Sullivan Chime, i admire their approach to Governance. But beyond the charismatic and intellectual display, the success or other wise of any government still depends largely on the acceptability by the greater percentage of the populace.

You can be articulate and adopt a serious approach to governance and yet still rendered clueless by some undesireable elements, Boko Haram issue will suffice here.

Similar situation is also happening in the America, and despite the laudable efforts of the government in sustaining a healthy foreign policy, extremists are hell bent in discrediting it and putting a clueless tag on the Government.

Fashola will be one of the best thing to happen to Nigeria if he enjoys the support of the entire populace, just like how MKO broke through the barrier of ethnicity in the course of the June 12 election.

3 Likes

Re: From The Governors, Fashola Is The Only One Fit To Be President. by tevinsolt: 7:30pm On Oct 13, 2012
Sun of god: Sounds like you've spent too much time in Lagos.

what an A*s*s!! very typical i'm not surprised

11 Likes

Re: From The Governors, Fashola Is The Only One Fit To Be President. by EkoIle1: 7:38pm On Oct 13, 2012
By a Ghana man from a Ghanian perspective..

Has Accra Any Lessons to Learn from Lagos?

The current Governor, Fashola of Lagos State, is carrying on the legacy bequeathed him by his illustrious predecessors from the stump of the former Action Group Party formed in 1950 by Baba Awolowo, and the erstwhile Unity Party of Nigeria. I am sure when I went to Lagos in January 1981, Governor Fashola was about to enter university, and he should have benefitted from the largesse of his fore-runners. Lagos State, with a population of 18 million, is said to be the 5th largest economy in Africa, after South Africa, Egypt, Nigeria and Algeria. In this regard, it will be unfair to compare Accra Metropolitan Authority (AMA) to Lagos State in terms of financial resources. Governor Fashola has initiated changes to transform Lagos into the hub of West Africa. Among his exploits include greening the city through a massive tree planting exercise, installing 15,000 street lights a few months ago, construction of 13,000 new classroom blocks to decongest Lagos schools, construction of the Lekki Free Trade Zone, construction of the 10 lane Badagry Expressway, light rail mass transit routes, Mobile Intensive Care Units, massive clean up of Lagos and a humongous waste management plant, the largest in West Africa, Rapid Bus Transit, a new bridge from Lekki Pennisula to Ikoyi, construction of seven intra city rail lines. Governor Fashola has broadened the sources of revenue for Lagos and initiated many Public-Private-Partnership projects (PPP). Over the next decade, New African Magazine reports that a $50 billion dollar infrastructure upgrade project will be carried out. The Governor’s reign has seen the reduction in armed robbery by 80%, a recovery rate of 85% of stolen vehicles. He has not neglected rural roads, and he has earmarked a massive rural electrification project, as 500 communities have been lighted up. Four new waterworks are on the cards to pump 300 million gallons a day to ease the chronic water blues of Lagos residents. He has also initiated a mortgage scheme to provide affordable housing to residents. I think I will suggest that our own AMA boss, Dr Oko Vanderpuije, should establish a hotline between his office and that of Governor Fashola so that they frequently exchange notes. I am told on good authority that the notorious Lagos ‘go- slow’ or traffic jam or gridlock is gradually becoming a thing of the past. This is good news to boost tourism. I am sure Okada business will recede or decline.
From 22nd to 23rd November, 2012, there will be the Africa Urban-Infrastructure and Real Estate Summit in Cape Town’s International Convention Centre (ICC) When the British PM, David Cameron, visited Lagos recently, he was said to have paid glowing tribute to Governor Fashola for his remarkable transformation of Lagos. If Governor Fashola was a British, I am sure he would have been honoured with a KBE or OBE.
In conclusion, I will enjoin our Accra city managers and planners not to relent in their efforts but to borrow a leaf from what is happening in Lagos. I am sure what Governor Fashola and his able lieutenants have achieved can be replicated in Ghana, if our officials become committed, transparent, incorruptible and they keep their focus and vision. My beef is that they can chew on the following questions:-

http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/NewsArchive/artikel.php?ID=252044

9 Likes

Re: From The Governors, Fashola Is The Only One Fit To Be President. by SkyBlue1: 7:40pm On Oct 13, 2012
Eko Ile:

Governing Lagos is not the same as Governing Nigeria. If Tinubu is going to be in the background of the presidency of Nigeria then I am not interested, God forbid.
Re: From The Governors, Fashola Is The Only One Fit To Be President. by queensmith: 7:46pm On Oct 13, 2012
I agree, fashola is probably the only man on earth who can really transform Nigeria. I really hope he continues with his political career.

1 Like

Re: From The Governors, Fashola Is The Only One Fit To Be President. by EkoIle1: 7:47pm On Oct 13, 2012
Sky Blue:

Governing Lagos is not the same as Governing Nigeria. If Tinubu is going to be in the background of the presidency of Nigeria then I am not interested, God forbid.

Is Fashola asking you to vote for him to be your president?

Your Tinubu fixation is yours to consume and enjoy, but act like you have some common sense...

2 Likes

Re: From The Governors, Fashola Is The Only One Fit To Be President. by basty: 7:53pm On Oct 13, 2012
This is the only detrabalised someone I ever seen on Nairaland.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

CAN Raises Alarm Over Plans To Attack Kaduna, Others, Gives Breakdown Of Plateau / Police Hold Peace Meting With Oba And Eze Ndigbo After Election Crisis In Okota / Air Force Loses Personnel To Bandits In Kaduna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.