Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,324 members, 7,811,958 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:53 AM

2015 Presidential Election: How The Governors Stand - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2015 Presidential Election: How The Governors Stand (4926 Views)

2015 ELECTION: How PDP, Jonathan Plan To Unseat APC In Lagos / EXCLUSIVE: Atiku Snubs Rochas Okorocha At The Governors Gathering(pictures) / From The Governors, Fashola Is The Only One Fit To Be President. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

2015 Presidential Election: How The Governors Stand by OlusolaWarrior: 6:03pm On Aug 25, 2014
State governors in Nigeria wield enormous power to influence electorates in their state during elections. Incumbent presidents understand this and try to cultivate cordial relationships with governors besides the need for good governance and

Presently, President Goodluck Jonathan has a number of advantages going into the polls in 2015. One is the power of incumbency. Another is the number of state governors that belong to the same party as the president. Among the 36 states of the federation, those belonging to the opposition, mostly All Progressives Congress members, make up 40 percent of the governors.

Governor of Anambra State, Willie Obiano of the All Progressive Grand Alliance, shares 2% of that 40% being the only governor belonging to neither PDP nor APC in the entire country. The remaining 35 states are made up of 14 APC controlled states and 22 PDP controlled states.

The PDP governors make up 60% of the governors in the country, thus tipping the scales in favour of the President who is also a member of the same party.

PDP-controlled states

Abia – T.A. Orji

Adamawa – Ahmadu Fintiri

Akwa Ibom – Godswill Akpabio

Bauchi – Isa Yuguda

Bayelsa – Seriake Dickson

Benue – Gabriel Suswam

Cross River – Liyel Imoke

Delta – Emmanuel Uduaghan

Ebonyi – Martin Elechi

Ekiti – Ayo Fayose

Enugu – Sullivan Chime

Gombe – Ibrahim Hassan Dankwambo

Jigawa – Sule Lamido

Kaduna – Mukhtar Yero

Katsina – Ibrahim Shema

Kebbi – Usman Dankingari

Kogi – Idris Wada

Niger – Babangida Aliyu

Ondo – Olusegun Mimiko

Plateau – Jonah Jang

Taraba – Danbaba Suntai

* Anambra – Willie Obiano (APGA)

APC-controlled states

Borno – Kashim Shettima

Edo – Adams Oshiomole

Imo – Rochas Okorocha

Kano – Rabiu Kwankwaso

Kwara – Abdul Fata Ahmed

Lagos – Babatunde Fashola

Nassarawa – Umaru Tanko Almakura

Ogun – Ibikunle Amosun

Osun – Rauf Aregbesola

Oyo – Isiaka Ajimobi

Rivers – Rotimi Amaechi

Sokoto Aliyu Wamakko

Yobe – Ibrahim Geidam

Zamfara – Abdul Aziz Abubakar
Re: 2015 Presidential Election: How The Governors Stand by LFJ: 7:07pm On Aug 25, 2014
You will never understand how the president is currently feeling until you understand what it means to have Lagos, Kano and Cross River in the hands of opposition.

4 Likes

Re: 2015 Presidential Election: How The Governors Stand by Nobody: 12:13pm On Aug 26, 2014
Do you honestly think the President can win in PDP states like Kebbi, Katsina, Jigawa, Bauchi, Gombe and Kaduna? Wake up my guy

9 Likes

Re: 2015 Presidential Election: How The Governors Stand by OKKO(m): 12:43pm On Aug 26, 2014
Don't you think the President will win in APC states like:
Imo - 80%
Lagos- 60%
Nassarawa- 60%
Edo- 70%
Rivers- 60%
Etc

13 Likes

Re: 2015 Presidential Election: How The Governors Stand by Nobody: 1:14pm On Aug 26, 2014
Tinubu has done well with the merger with CPC, ANPP grin

2 Likes

Re: 2015 Presidential Election: How The Governors Stand by akumada1: 1:59pm On Aug 26, 2014
LFJ: You will never understand how the president is currently feeling until you understand what it means to have Lagos, Kano and Cross River in the hands of opposition.
Cross river or river state?

2 Likes

Re: 2015 Presidential Election: How The Governors Stand by Gogetta(m): 2:01pm On Aug 26, 2014
OKKO: Don't you think the President will win in APC states like:
Imo - 80%
Lagos- 60%
Nassarawa- 60%
Edo- 70%
Rivers- 60%
Etc
Dream on

5 Likes

Re: 2015 Presidential Election: How The Governors Stand by Iluvberem: 2:06pm On Aug 26, 2014
Gogetta: Dream on

#facts my guy

Even osun

Remember omisore

3 Likes

Re: 2015 Presidential Election: How The Governors Stand by Nobody: 2:18pm On Aug 26, 2014
LFJ: You will never understand how the president is currently feeling until you understand what it means to have Lagos, Kano and Cross River in the hands of opposition.
Is Cross River in the kitty of the APC?

But the three MOST influential states Lagos, Kano and Rivers states in order of political influence are APC's grin

4 Likes

Re: 2015 Presidential Election: How The Governors Stand by Nobody: 2:22pm On Aug 26, 2014
OseghaleEbosele: Do you honestly think the President can win in PDP states like Kebbi, Katsina, Jigawa, Bauchi, Gombe and Kaduna? Wake up my guy
The OP doesn't know politics walahi!!!

5 Likes

Re: 2015 Presidential Election: How The Governors Stand by feedthenation(m): 2:23pm On Aug 26, 2014
It will be a very tall task for GEJ to get maximum votes in core North West and North East states.
But if the missing $20bn can be use wisely, anything is possible.

1 Like

Re: 2015 Presidential Election: How The Governors Stand by OlusolaWarrior: 2:32pm On Aug 26, 2014
What is your basis for these figures (percentages)? Please, expatiate further.

Imo - 80%
Lagos- 60%
Nassarawa- 60%
Edo- 70%
Rivers- 60%
Etc
Re: 2015 Presidential Election: How The Governors Stand by Nobody: 2:32pm On Aug 26, 2014
PRESIDENT

GOODLUCK

EBELE

JONATHAN

TILL

KONFAM TALK

KONMIGHT SAY SO.

ENEMIES.....GO AND(YOU KNOW NOW) DO THE NEEDFUL.

Opari.

Lobatan.

4 Likes

Re: 2015 Presidential Election: How The Governors Stand by Adminisher: 2:36pm On Aug 26, 2014
That is not going to happen. The PDP as a party is even in better shape than GEJ himself. Many governors would be able to secure their states but won't be able to deliver it to GEJ and this would be in spite of what they promise.

Do you honestly think the President can win in PDP states like Kebbi, Katsina, Jigawa, Bauchi, Gombe and Kaduna? Wake up my guy[/quote]

1 Like

Re: 2015 Presidential Election: How The Governors Stand by seunmsg(m): 2:37pm On Aug 26, 2014
Imo - 80%
Lagos- 60%
Nassarawa- 60%
Edo- 70%
Rivers- 60%
Etc

APC will actually win in Lagos and Nassarawa state and PDP will never get 7o% in Edo state.

1 Like

Re: 2015 Presidential Election: How The Governors Stand by OlusolaWarrior: 2:38pm On Aug 26, 2014
It is easy to make such analogies as this. Does it make sense if you're from Rivers State and your governor tells you to vote for someone from the North? What will a candidate from the North do for you? And if you come down to Lagos, what is the general sentiment in Lagos? For the North to remain in power? And Lagos is not only populated by Yorubas but by a large number of Easterners as well. I admire your logic but I do not agree completely. Your position is probable only with regard to Kano State. Not to Rivers or Lagos State.

whatlyf: Is Cross River in the kitty of the APC?

But the three MOST influential states Lagos, Kano and Rivers states in order of political influence are APC's grin

9 Likes

Re: 2015 Presidential Election: How The Governors Stand by Nobody: 2:42pm On Aug 26, 2014
OlusolaWarrior: It is easy to make such analogies as this. Does it make sense if you're from [b]Rivers State and your governor tells you to vote for someone from the North? What will a candidate from the North do for you? And if you come down to Lagos, what is the general sentiment in Lagos? For the North to remain in power? And Lagos is not only populated by Yorubas but by a large number of Easterners as well. I admire your logic but I do not agree completely. Your position is probable only with regard to Kano State. Not to Rivers or Lagos State.[/b]

Your argument is based on tribal sentiment- I won't continue the conversation with you.

Enjoy

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2015 Presidential Election: How The Governors Stand by ola6: 2:53pm On Aug 26, 2014
OlusolaWarrior: It is easy to make such analogies as this. Does it make sense if you're from Rivers State and your governor tells you to vote for someone from the North? What will a candidate from the North do for you? And if you come down to Lagos, what is the general sentiment in Lagos? For the North to remain in power? And Lagos is not only populated by Yorubas but by a large number of Easterners as well. I admire your logic but I do not agree completely. Your position is probable only with regard to Kano State. Not to Rivers or Lagos State.

Dude, I know you love GEJ. So do I. But don't make it sound like we Lagosians are not in-charge of our political destiny. It's insulting. Are you saying Easterners will dictate what happens in Lagos? What about other Yorubas from other states?! Are you saying their sensibilities don't matter?! Please watch it. It's annoying and insulting.

8 Likes

Re: 2015 Presidential Election: How The Governors Stand by OlusolaWarrior: 2:57pm On Aug 26, 2014
There's no tribal sentiment in this. Look at the issue objectively and stop being rhetorical. I merely asked you a logical question when you insinuated that it would be impossible for President Jonathan to win in Lagos, Kano, and Rivers States due to the fact that those states, which are significant in terms of population, are controlled by the opposition APC. I asked you that question hoping you'd be able to reflect the thinking of the average man on the street. You may not be tribal. As a matter of fact, you don't need to be tribal. I don't encourage it either. Being Nigerians, we are all one, but at the end of the day, everyone would want to vote for the candidate that has their interest most at heart. If you live in Ojota (Kosofe Local Goverment) and a candidate that was born and bred on Lagos Island and has houses and businesses in Lagos Island or Epe LG decides to contest for Local Goverment Chairmanship in Kosofe, would you really vote for him when you have an alternative candidate emerging from Ikeja or Ifako/Ijaiye Local Government?
I'm merely trying to be logical here and not sentimental.

whatlyf: Your argument is based on tribal sentiment-which I won't continue the conversation with you.

Enjoy

5 Likes

Re: 2015 Presidential Election: How The Governors Stand by OlusolaWarrior: 3:05pm On Aug 26, 2014
This isn't about Lagos but about the Nigeria that we all own. I didn't say that Easterners will determine who becomes governor of Lagos even though that in itself is arguable. I'm talking about the presidential election which is the collective and we cannot ignore the fact that regional powers play a significant role. But we can't just look at regions alone since every region has autonomous states. The basis for bringing this topic to the table is to get us Nigerians thinking as our destiny is in our votes and we need to use it wisely. Let us address the issues to understand what every candidate brings to the table. If you are in support of the APC no matter the candidate they bring to the table you should look at the facts and analyse the weaknesses of your candidate or party so that you know your fate before election day. No man goes to battle without understanding the strengths and weaknesses of his opponent.

ola6:

Dude, I know you love GEJ. So do I. But don't make it sound like we Lagosians are not in-charge of our political destiny. It's insulting. Are you saying Easterners will dictate what happens in Lagos? What about other Yorubas from other states?! Are you saying their sensibilities don't matter?! Please watch it. It's annoying and insulting.

1 Like

Re: 2015 Presidential Election: How The Governors Stand by Nobody: 3:12pm On Aug 26, 2014
OlusolaWarrior: [s]It is easy to make such analogies as this. Does it make sense if you're from Rivers State and your governor tells you to vote for someone from the North? What will a candidate from the North do for you? And if you come down to Lagos, what is the general sentiment in Lagos? For the North to remain in power? And Lagos is not only populated by Yorubas but by a large number of Easterners as well. I admire your logic but I do not agree completely. Your position is probable only with regard to Kano State. Not to Rivers or Lagos State[/s].

Arrant Nonsense

So if a Hausa Presidential candidate promise to make life better and fight corruption in order to free the resources of the country from the tight-fist of looters and bare-faced robbers which Jonathan has refused to help the people fight,you mean to say the Yorubas will not vote for that person because he is Hausa?

The 3rd Mainland bridge they presently use......was it a kalabari man that did it

So to you Yorubas will prefer to vote someone who will still remove fuel subsidy immediately he gets a 2nd term because you think they hate the Hausas

Or the youths who were swindled,scammed and killed over the non-existing Immigration jobs will still vote for the President who refused to sack the Minister who orchestrated the ritual killing of 17 individuals

The PHCN privatisation to cronies which has consistently delivered MegaWatts of darkness is a good reason to keep Jonathan in power to spite the Hausas?

Infantile analogy from you i dare say

9 Likes

Re: 2015 Presidential Election: How The Governors Stand by ola6: 3:15pm On Aug 26, 2014
OlusolaWarrior: This isn't about Lagos but about the Nigeria that we all own. I didn't say that Easterners will determine who becomes governor of Lagos even though that in itself is arguable. I'm talking about the presidential election which is the collective and we cannot ignore the fact that regional powers play a significant role. But we can't just look at regions alone since every region has autonomous states. The basis for bringing this topic to the table is to get us Nigerians thinking as our destiny is in our votes and we need to use it wisely. Let us address the issues to understand what every candidate brings to the table. If you are in support of the APC no matter the candidate they bring to the table you should look at the facts and analyse the weaknesses of your candidate or party so that you know your fate before election day. No man goes to battle without understanding the strengths and weaknesses of his opponent.

I got you the first time. You don't need to explain. However, you are still making the same mistake with the bolded. They do have a right to vote and be voted for but YOU make it sound like other groups have no say. I mean, what exactly is "arguable" ? The implicit information you are relaying is that all the Yorubas in Lagos, possibly, have no say in the Gubernatorial elections in Lagos.

Dude, you might be Igbo for all I care (you can be anything online) but please be careful with some of your words or choice of words because there is sentiment brewing out there and who knows what might ignite it. Stay safe. I'm out.

2 Likes

Re: 2015 Presidential Election: How The Governors Stand by Unemadu: 3:31pm On Aug 26, 2014
ola6:

I got you the first time. You don't need to explain. However, you are still making the same mistake with the bolded. They do have a right to vote and be voted for but YOU make it sound like other groups have no say. I mean, what exactly is "arguable" ? The implicit information you are relaying is that all the Yorubas in Lagos, possibly, have no say in the Gubernatorial elections in Lagos.

Dude, you might be Igbo for all I care (you can be anything online) but please be careful with some of your words or choice of words because there is sentiment brewing out there and who knows what might ignite it. Stay safe. I'm out.

Abeg olusolawarrior has a point. the point being that Nigeria is still strongly tribal/religious whether you admit it or not. besides most Nigerians are hypocrites only paying lip service to issues like these.
For example suggest that an easterner become governor of lagos state and all hell will let loose. Typical

4 Likes

Re: 2015 Presidential Election: How The Governors Stand by LFJ: 3:38pm On Aug 26, 2014
whatlyf: Is Cross River in the kitty of the APC?

Thank you, I mean River State.

1 Like

Re: 2015 Presidential Election: How The Governors Stand by OlusolaWarrior: 4:23pm On Aug 26, 2014
I'm glad somebody sees the perspective I'm putting out here. Yorubas have a say; Igbos have a say; Hausas have a say. But power and who wields power has always been a national issue. It was what led to the Civil War. It has not stopped and it won't stop even if we try to play the ostrich. We all have a common language, which isn't our native tongue; the English language you and I are using to communicate across different media was inherited from our colonial overlords. When it comes to our native mother tongue, the Igbo, Hausa, and Yoruba are different. We are also different in how we organise our lives. Our cultures are unique. We can't keep shying away from bringing these issues to the fore to discuss them. If left unadressed, they'll only brew stronger and implode from pent-up emotions. A presidential election that affects us all is coming up in 2015 and you act like ethnicity does not matter? Here's a fact, ethnicity and religion will always be influential factors in Nigerian politics the same way racial background and religion will always influence American politics or anywhere else in the world. We are human beings and this is how we react to life. It's the kindred spirit at work and you can't ignore it even if you state otherwise here.

Unemadu:

Abeg olusolawarrior has a point. the point being that Nigeria is still strongly tribal/religious whether you admit it or not. besides most Nigerians are hypocrites only paying lip service to issues like these.
For example suggest that an easterner become governor of lagos state and all hell will let loose. Typical
Re: 2015 Presidential Election: How The Governors Stand by Nobody: 4:50pm On Aug 26, 2014
I see people did not learn anything from the last two gubernatorial polls in ekiti and osun states.The Governors have little or no influence whatsorever in INEC organised elections.They exercise no oversight fxns over INEC or the security agencies.

Say GEJ will lose in Rivers ,lagos and imo because they are APC states is simply ridiculous.Fayemi was an APC Governor yet he coulld not even win a single local government in the last ekiti guber polls.

If the elections are to be rigged,the governors are powerless to influence it.if it is to be free and fair they cannot force the electorates to vote for their parties either.I stay in lagos and them no born Fashola well to tell me to vote for APC.Lagos itself is to cosmopoplitan to be regarded as solely a yoruba voting block.Anybody who thinks like that is merely deceiving himself.The state have just too many non-indigenes who might not vote alongside the line of the natives.

In imo state ,I can assure you it will take a miracle for APC to secure more than 5% of the votes there

4 Likes

Re: 2015 Presidential Election: How The Governors Stand by LFJ: 5:54pm On Aug 26, 2014
chukwudi44: I see people did not learn anything from the last two gubernatorial polls in ekiti and osun states.The Governors have little or no influence whatsorever in INEC organised elections.They exercise no oversight fxns over INEC or the security agencies.

Say GEJ will lose in Rivers ,lagos and imo because they are APC states is simply ridiculous.Fayemi was an APC Governor yet he coulld not even win a single local government in the last ekiti guber polls.

If the elections are to be rigged,the governors are powerless to influence it.if it is to be free and fair they cannot force the electorates to vote for their parties either.I stay in lagos and them no born Fashola well to tell me to vote for APC.Lagos itself is to cosmopoplitan to be regarded as solely a yoruba voting block.Anybody who thinks like that is merely deceiving himself.The state have just too many non-indigenes who might not vote alongside the line of the natives.

In imo state ,I can assure you it will take a miracle for APC to secure more than 5% of the votes there

Continue to dream, if it is that easy there won't have been any reason for Jonathan to campaign again. This coming election will be tough for both parties. Those who understand the game of politics know that oga Jonathan is not finding it easy. Ask Obj the reason why he remain political slave to the northerner and begger to his ppl to get their favor for his 2nd term election.
If things continue like this, I won't be surprise to see even the so call the friends of Mr president to leave him at the last minute.

3 Likes

Re: 2015 Presidential Election: How The Governors Stand by OlusolaWarrior: 6:04pm On Aug 26, 2014
I agree with your last post but I agree mostly with what Chukwudi44 said. The point here is that INEC has become very credible and reliable and as such the electorates are more empowered now than ever before. Maybe we can be thankful at least that we have a president that has integrity not to interfere in the affairs of the electoral body. State governors are no longer as powerful as they once was. The same goes for the political parties. The people are more powerful now than at any other time in the history of this country.

LFJ:

Continue to dream, if it is that easy there won't have been any reason for Jonathan to campaign again. This coming election will be tough for both parties. Those who understand the game of politics know that oga Jonathan is not finding it easy. Ask Obj the reason why he remain political slave to the northerner and begger to his ppl to get their favor for his 2nd term election.
If things continue like this, I won't be surprise to see even the so call the friends of Mr president to leave him at the last minute.

2 Likes

Re: 2015 Presidential Election: How The Governors Stand by LFJ: 6:20pm On Aug 26, 2014
OlusolaWarrior: I agree with your last post but I agree mostly with what Chukwudi44 said. The point here is that INEC has become very credible and reliable and as such the electorates are more empowered now than ever before. Maybe we can be thankful at least that we have a president that has integrity not to interfere in the affairs of the electoral body. State governors are no longer as powerful as they once was. The same goes for the political parties. The people are more powerful now than at any other time in the history of this country.

INEC becoming more credible even make it more difficult for Mr Jonathan. If you think that Hausa and Yoruba so love Mr Jonathan to make him there favorite candidate it means you are a learner in Nigeria politics. In a free and fair election, it is not sure for Mr Jonathan. PDP has never won any clean election, it has always been through manipulation.

2 Likes

Re: 2015 Presidential Election: How The Governors Stand by ratiken(m): 6:24pm On Aug 26, 2014
Nigeria has moved on electorally yet people still do old political arithmetic.

GEJ has returned power to the people. Governors have no say on the outcome of elections. The choice of the people has continued to triumph over incumbent preferences under GEJ.

Incumbent governors have less than 3% influence on the presidential choices of the masses. As a matter of fact, tribal and religious bias wields far more influence.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2015 Presidential Election: How The Governors Stand by lilprinze: 7:37pm On Aug 26, 2014
GEJ till 2019 those who are with you are more than those who are against you
Re: 2015 Presidential Election: How The Governors Stand by Nobody: 7:51pm On Aug 26, 2014
LFJ:

INEC becoming more credible even make it more difficult for Mr Jonathan. If you think that Hausa and Yoruba so love Mr Jonathan to make him there favorite candidate it means you are a learner in Nigeria politics. In a free and fair election, it is not sure for Mr Jonathan. PDP has never won any clean election, it has always been through manipulation.

Let's even assume the election will be through. Manipulation,what influence do the governors have on INEC to control the outcome of the votes?
Saying every yoruba man will likely vote for APC is another thing.I stay in lagos and I have yoruba friends and not everyone of them is fond of APC.The ekiti election is a pointer to that.APC cpuld not even secure victory in even a single local government speaks volumes.Besides ethnicity,religion is another key factor in the elections

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

BreakingNews: Fulani's Grand Plan For Nigeria / Forensic Analysis:'fake Part' Of Wike's Voice With Fayose Used In Audio Exposed! / The Richest Countries In Africa - How The Mighty Has Fallen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.