Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,533 members, 7,826,994 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 03:05 AM

Who Should Be Accused Of Nigeria's Extreme Regionalism - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Should Be Accused Of Nigeria's Extreme Regionalism (832 Views)

NASS Election Coup: We Must Return To Regionalism Now - Dele Ogundele / SW Leaders Led By Tinubu Do Not Want Regionalism, Shamelessly Prefer Status Quo / Northern Christians Demand 2015 Presidential Slot, Regionalism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Should Be Accused Of Nigeria's Extreme Regionalism by Ogahtech(m): 7:08pm On Oct 18, 2012
keeping religion aside, because Nigerians always want to use religion as a scapegoat. every Nigerian Citizen will agree with me that. in 1999, Nigeria's unity was appreciable. certainly northerners gave maximum support to gen obasanjo not considering he was a Christian and from the southern part of the country. also in 2007, the southerners supported umar yar'adua massively. not considering he was a Muslim and from northern Nigeria. but why in 2011 situation became critical? this is the question I want all
Nigerian citizens to think hard. as for me I realized is the inability of Jonathan , Edwin Clarks and co. to comply with the PDP zoning arrangements. the were unable to think of the hatred and it's resultant in the future before taking that decision. am not a fan of obasanjo but I still respect him. even after the northern politicians rejected his 3th term agenda. he still comply with the zoning arrangements. despite pressure on him from the southern politicians to anoint peter odili, former rivers state governor. obasanjo was wise enough to know the hatred that will follow if he abundant the zoning agreement. Edwin Clarks is among the Nigerian elders state men. I respect a lot. the biggest mistake he and other southerners did was, for them to think south south presidency is greater than Nigeria's unity. may God help Nigeria.
Re: Who Should Be Accused Of Nigeria's Extreme Regionalism by kunlekunle: 4:20am On Oct 19, 2012
its been around since the 50s, NPC started it then others followed. AG and NCNC.
Re: Who Should Be Accused Of Nigeria's Extreme Regionalism by slimming: 4:37am On Oct 19, 2012
Religion and regionalism is fundemental issue in this country and difficult to do away with, keep managing it as medical pple will say.
Re: Who Should Be Accused Of Nigeria's Extreme Regionalism by Ogahtech(m): 6:07am On Oct 19, 2012
@kulekule, yes it has been existing since in the 50s. but believe me it was appreciative. not now that some people have worsen the situation. well, like @slimming said, we will try to keep managing. but our leaders should try to be patient just like the igbo people.
Re: Who Should Be Accused Of Nigeria's Extreme Regionalism by Callotti: 6:11am On Oct 19, 2012
Nigerians are such funny, discontent people.
You asked for independence. . .granted!
You asked for more states. . .granted!
Now you want to go back to 'regionalism'!
Next. . . you will ask for 'colonialism'!

LWKMD!!!!!! cheesy

See confusion for 'black-monkey' mind!

Colonialism vs Regionalism vs Federalism. . . .

Independence na curse for black man. . .I swear!
Mu che che che che che che

No light. . . I A'INT WASTING MY DIESEL ON NL TODAY!

Wey these children abeg? Time for some fun. Make I take them go h-enjoy small. . . SEE HEAVY RAIN LAST NIGHT!!!! cheesy
RRRRRRRRRRRRRROMANTIC!!!! cool
Time for breakfast buffet! kiss

1 Like

Re: Who Should Be Accused Of Nigeria's Extreme Regionalism by Ogahtech(m): 1:03pm On Oct 19, 2012
@callotti, diesel for gen again? I thought some people in Nairaland said Nigeria is now enjoying stable power supply.

1 Like

Re: Who Should Be Accused Of Nigeria's Extreme Regionalism by SkyBlue1: 1:07pm On Oct 19, 2012
Ogahtech: keeping religion aside, because Nigerians always want to use religion as a scapegoat. every Nigerian Citizen will agree with me that. in 1999, Nigeria's unity was appreciable. certainly northerners gave maximum support to gen obasanjo not considering he was a Christian and from the southern part of the country. also in 2007, the southerners supported umar yar'adua massively. not considering he was a Muslim and from northern Nigeria. but why in 2011 situation became critical? this is the question I want all
Nigerian citizens to think hard. as for me I realized is the inability of Jonathan , Edwin Clarks and co. to comply with the PDP zoning arrangements. the were unable to think of the hatred and it's resultant in the future before taking that decision. am not a fan of obasanjo but I still respect him. even after the northern politicians rejected his 3th term agenda. he still comply with the zoning arrangements. despite pressure on him from the southern politicians to anoint peter odili, former rivers state governor. obasanjo was wise enough to know the hatred that will follow if he abundant the zoning agreement. Edwin Clarks is among the Nigerian elders state men. I respect a lot. the biggest mistake he and other southerners did was, for them to think south south presidency is greater than Nigeria's unity. may God help Nigeria.

Stop playing ostrich, how many of those elections you tout were as fair as the last one we just had? Did your father agree to turn by turn leadership? PDP IS NOT NIGERIA. If the aspiration of a person from any region of the country towards presidency is enough to break Nigeria then the UNITY is FAKE, so please spare us the sanctimonious lament.

What kind of reasoning is that? Who is whose slave? It is like saying, I will continue to give you pats on the back as long as you continue to know your place. Do you realise how insulting that is?

1 Like

Re: Who Should Be Accused Of Nigeria's Extreme Regionalism by Ogahtech(m): 1:46pm On Oct 19, 2012
@sky blue, if u look into all my articles. u will know I have nothing to do with PDP. but u and I doesn't have a choice. because for now PDP determined what happens in Nigeria. if u will be sincere, Nigeria's unity was far better in 2007. I always wonder why ur parents use to tell u that the northerners took them as slaves. this is 21st century, how could northerners be so stupid to consider the southerners as slaves? this is only a political propaganda. u people are just judging only the few bad northerners. I have done youth ambassadorship in Nigeria with both ibgo and yoruba. and we all love ourselves. Infact am a member of the world ibgo youth assembly. for this country to move forward, we must learn to reject some of the sayings of our leaders. because must of their sayings are for selfish interest.
Re: Who Should Be Accused Of Nigeria's Extreme Regionalism by SkyBlue1: 1:54pm On Oct 19, 2012
Ogahtech: @sky blue, if u look into all my articles. u will know I have nothing to do with PDP. but u and I doesn't have a choice. because for now PDP determined what happens in Nigeria. if u will be sincere, Nigeria's unity was far better in 2007. I always wonder why ur parents use to tell u that the northerners took them as slaves. this is 21st century, how could northerners be so stupid to consider the southerners as slaves? this is only a political propaganda. u people are just judging only the few bad northerners. I have done youth ambassadorship in Nigeria with both ibgo and yoruba. and we all love ourselves. Infact am a member of the world ibgo youth assembly. for this country to move forward, we must learn to reject some of the sayings of our leaders. because must of their sayings are for selfish interest.

Read post again. And to add to that, if you actually believe we were more united in 2007 than we are now, I propose to you that it was an illusion, people just hadn't got angry enough yet, they were still waiting to see what had changed. PDP is not Nigeria, and any suggestion of a return to turn by turn presidency which a handful of people agreed to is silly. Any suggestion that someone not being from a particular part of the country leading the country will cause disunity and break up the country, isn't only bigoted and myopic, it is also insensitive, short sighted, and DOES NOT foster unity. Perhaps that is why 2007 seemed nice to you, because you didn't need to look at things from other people's perspectives.

Your post is a contradiction. On one hand you talk about rejecting selfish views of leaders past and loving ourselves, and yet on the other hand you espouse those VERY SAME VIEWS you call others to reject. So what are you talking about?
Re: Who Should Be Accused Of Nigeria's Extreme Regionalism by Ogahtech(m): 3:27pm On Oct 19, 2012
@sky blue, let me make it clear to u. why 2011 was different, is because the south south were not telling Nigerians the truth about their interest. of wanting to have a Niger delta president even if heaven will fall. but rather the go about telling the citizens, that the north are been selfish. because Jonathan is a Christian that is why the north don't want him. which certainly is a deformation of character to the entire northerners. I want u to consider when Nigeria was predicated to break up by 2015 some years back all Nigerians think it was funny. but now no body longer think is funny. and that is exactly why I told u Nigeria was far better united than this present devilish administration.
Re: Who Should Be Accused Of Nigeria's Extreme Regionalism by Deprofessional(m): 4:09pm On Oct 19, 2012
Let me tell you the truth;

those who have asked for regional government as opposed to state administration, as we have it today, are the real patriots. Why can't we go back to regional arrangement with each region having full control of its resources and paying tax to the government at the center, and with power to create as many states as it deemed fit within its region?

Whether we like it or not, there is deep rooted hatred among the different tribes of this country; for instance:

i) the Hausaman hates the Igboman and vice versa

ii) the hausaman hates the Yorubaman and vice versa

iii) the Igboman hates the yorubaman and vice versa

iv) the south-south man hates the igboman, the yorubaman and the Hausaman and vice versa

v) the middlebelt man don't want to be called an hausa man. in fact they dread the hausa fulani and vice versa

With this type of scenario, it will be impossible for Nigeria to experience greatness.

Let each region be on its own. Let the truth be told, Nigeria will be better off by allowing each region to harness its natural resources than this forced union.

If oil is to be found in the north today, Nigeria will be doomed. THE ONLY THING THAT IS CURRENTLY HOLDING US TOGETHER IS OIL. DRY UP THE OIL, NIGERIA SCATTERS.
My candid opinion, comments are welcome.
Re: Who Should Be Accused Of Nigeria's Extreme Regionalism by SkyBlue1: 4:36pm On Oct 19, 2012
Ogahtech: @sky blue, let me make it clear to u. why 2011 was different, is because the south south were not telling Nigerians the truth about their interest. of wanting to have a Niger delta president even if heaven will fall. but rather the go about telling the citizens, that the north are been selfish. because Jonathan is a Christian that is why the north don't want him. which certainly is a deformation of character to the entire northerners. I want u to consider when Nigeria was predicated to break up by 2015 some years back all Nigerians think it was funny. but now no body longer think is funny. and that is exactly why I told u Nigeria was far better united than this present devilish administration.

Please don't take offence if I think your post is quite silly, it is just my opinion and I will explain why. What is South South? Is South South an ethnic group? Is South South a person? When you say South South was hiding their interest what on earth are you talking about? Are you claiming that Yar Adua was infact assasinated? Dude you really can't win with this bigoted post of yours (and that is what it really is - again just MY own view which is probably not worth much). Because you are either saying Yaradua was killed so a man from a particular part of the country could emerge president, or you are saying the Vice Presidency is actually a figure head token useless role because the Vice President should not have the right to accend to presidency if the president dies, especially if - God forbid - he is from a particular part of the country.

Again, if this threat of break-up if one man from a particular part of the country aspires to be president is what you keep coming back to then I say LET NIGERIA BREAK. And let me be clear, I do not advocate break up and have never even suggested it, but for this I say so be it. It is utterly disgusting that we can be talking about the audacity of a Nigerian to contest for presidency IN NIGERIA, because he is from a particular part of the country (or should I say - not from a particular part of the country). What really bemuses me is that you fail to see the connection between such reasoning and the disunity you 'lament' about. This whole idea of "how dare he", just unbelievable, you would think they were talking about a martian running for presidency in Venus.

If heaven will fall because a NIGERIAN that you don't even have to vote for I might add, want to become president, then I say let heaven fall. You can't build a nation on the sacrifice of equity, it just isn't worth it. Oh and by the way (hint hint), when people talk about "the north are being selfish" (as you put it), this attitude might be what they are referring to. How many freaking ethnic groups are there in Nigeria? Are some less human than others? I just don't get it to be honest . . . This is one of the detriments of touting WAZOBIA culture.
Re: Who Should Be Accused Of Nigeria's Extreme Regionalism by Ogahtech(m): 5:02pm On Oct 19, 2012
@Deprofessional, regionalism is not the solution to Nigeria's problem. nigeria's problem is leadership. so even if every region is in control of It's resources. there will still be elections. and that is were the problem lies. it seems u don't longer want to be a citizen of a proud nation called the giant of Africa. the outside world is proud of Nigeria. why shouldn't we try to protect this interest at all cost. I still believed in one Nigeria. if u and I love Nigeria as much as Nigeria loved us, then things will change for the better. may God help us.
Re: Who Should Be Accused Of Nigeria's Extreme Regionalism by Ogahtech(m): 5:14pm On Oct 19, 2012
sky blue u' re just beating around the bush. who said anybody assassinate yar'adua? my friend u better go back to my page and concentrate. once again, but for the last time. I said before Jonathan becomes president, Nigeria's unity was appreciative much more than now that situation is critical. simple. well I don't know whether u are a member of the 40 laptops. but I will ask musiwa.
Re: Who Should Be Accused Of Nigeria's Extreme Regionalism by SkyBlue1: 6:59pm On Oct 19, 2012
Ogahtech: sky blue u' re just beating around the bush. who said anybody assassinate yar'adua? my friend u better go back to my page and concentrate. once again, but for the last time. I said before Jonathan becomes president, Nigeria's unity was appreciative much more than now that situation is critical. simple. well I don't know whether u are a member of the 40 laptops. but I will ask musiwa.

Typical. The bigotted stance of your argument is exposed and I become "40 laptops". You want unity but only if you can choose where or where not the president can come from and at what time you dim it fit (that is after all the crux of your argument). Read the title of your thread again, read your views very carefully, and see if you can answer your own questions.

Again. PDP IS NOT NIGERIA. If you want "turn by turn presidency" put it in the constitution if you can, if not just deal with the fact that the present one allows anybody to contest.
Re: Who Should Be Accused Of Nigeria's Extreme Regionalism by SkyBlue1: 7:11pm On Oct 19, 2012
Deprofessional: Let me tell you the truth;

those who have asked for regional government as opposed to state administration, as we have it today, are the real patriots. Why can't we go back to regional arrangement with each region having full control of its resources and paying tax to the government at the center, and with power to create as many states as it deemed fit within its region?

Whether we like it or not, there is deep rooted hatred among the different tribes of this country; for instance:

i) the Hausaman hates the Igboman and vice versa

ii) the hausaman hates the Yorubaman and vice versa

iii) the Igboman hates the yorubaman and vice versa

iv) the south-south man hates the igboman, the yorubaman and the Hausaman and vice versa

v) the middlebelt man don't want to be called an hausa man. in fact they dread the hausa fulani and vice versa

With this type of scenario, it will be impossible for Nigeria to experience greatness.

Let each region be on its own. Let the truth be told, Nigeria will be better off by allowing each region to harness its natural resources than this forced union.

If oil is to be found in the north today, Nigeria will be doomed. THE ONLY THING THAT IS CURRENTLY HOLDING US TOGETHER IS OIL. DRY UP THE OIL, NIGERIA SCATTERS.
My candid opinion, comments are welcome.

Abeg speak for yourself, I don't hate anybody.
Re: Who Should Be Accused Of Nigeria's Extreme Regionalism by Callotti: 7:23pm On Oct 19, 2012
Ogahtech: @callotti, diesel for gen again? I thought some people in Nairaland said Nigeria is now enjoying stable power supply.
BIG FAT LIE!!!! grin
20hours of gen. . . 4 hrs of epileptic PCHN!
I ain't stayin' in this dump of a Nigeria without 24hrs of electricity. . . .or INTERNET SERVICE. cool
Re: Who Should Be Accused Of Nigeria's Extreme Regionalism by PROUDIGBO(m): 7:31pm On Oct 19, 2012
@Sky Blue: I'm posting from my phone at the moment, but all i'll say for now is 'spot on!'.
Re: Who Should Be Accused Of Nigeria's Extreme Regionalism by Ogahtech(m): 7:32pm On Oct 19, 2012
well I realy appreciate ur argument. but one thing I always advice Nigerians any where am opportune to meet them is, we most stop undermining PDP. we have been saying" PDP is not Nigeria "since 2003. that was what opposition in Egypt thought in the first place. but later realized incumbency is something to be taking much more serious.
Re: Who Should Be Accused Of Nigeria's Extreme Regionalism by Ogahtech(m): 7:38pm On Oct 19, 2012
@callotti, thanks for telling me the truth. some people will not kill us in Nairaland. may God help naija.
Re: Who Should Be Accused Of Nigeria's Extreme Regionalism by aljharem(m): 7:44pm On Oct 19, 2012
sky blue nice one
Re: Who Should Be Accused Of Nigeria's Extreme Regionalism by SkyBlue1: 7:49pm On Oct 19, 2012
Ogahtech: well I realy appreciate ur argument. but one thing I always advice Nigerians any where am opportune to meet them is, we most stop undermining PDP. we have been saying" PDP is not Nigeria "since 2003. that was what opposition in Egypt thought in the first place. but later realized incumbency is something to be taking much more serious.

There is no need to appreciate any argument, I am just a tad disappointed in your posts and i don't know why. Perhaps it is a disappointment that comes with exposing a bigotry behind a fake idealism in a country one wished would just grow up already. And I can tell that you are still happy with that view of yours, that some people need to take permission from the gatekeepers before aspiring towards presidency.

And now of course you are now trying to make some argument about PDP being so important that is must be shaped into a vision we want of Nigeria so it can better meet our needs. So is it not safe to assume your visions of Nigeria through your visions of the party? One where some people are more equal than others and where division is indirectly encouraged?
Re: Who Should Be Accused Of Nigeria's Extreme Regionalism by Ogahtech(m): 8:12pm On Oct 19, 2012
well, for those who are not selfish and have Nigeria's unity at heart understand my message. and as for u, I believed u have a personal interest which only u knows best. but let's wait for 2015 and see if PDP is not Nigeria or PDP is Nigeria. but remember am not a member of PDP. and we must try to luv ourselves as Nigerians what so ever.

(1) (Reply)

Should Nigeria Apologise To The Igbos For The Alledged Genocide ? / Governor Of Taraba State Is Dead / How We Smuggle Arms Into Nigeria – Gunrunner

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.