Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,672 members, 7,955,468 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 06:47 AM

Bishop Oyedepo's Winners' Chapel Accused Of Exploiting British Worshippers - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Bishop Oyedepo's Winners' Chapel Accused Of Exploiting British Worshippers (44606 Views)

Winners Chapel's Reply To Allegations On Bishop Oyedepo / BBC Calls Winners Chapel "Witchcraft Church" / 200 Pastors Resign From Oyedepo's Winners Chapel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bishop Oyedepo's Winners' Chapel Accused Of Exploiting British Worshippers by Femmymata2(m): 11:04pm On Oct 21, 2012
maxpro-xl:
Na wa o. Bishop oyedepo is always on nairaland. @Poster. Uv succeeded in getn a place on frontpage by regurgitating an irrelevant stale news. Thumbs up to you for creating a "beef forum" for a man of God ordained by God and respected by many.

There are two things in life. Its either u're envied or u're pitied however Its better to be envied than to be pitied and prosperity is better than poverty.

Pastors are human beings and they also crave for food, water, sleep and even sex like every normal mortal. You envy rich pastors and you also pity poor pastors. We're been blessed to bless others. So you can never be too rich in life. The richer you become, the more you should help other people; which is what winners chapel does regularly. Other churches like christ embassy, daystar, salvation, rccg, trem, kicc, coza, fountain of life, foursquare, deeper life, synagogue, lord chosen etc all run charitable foundations focused on the less priviledged.

Every church counts money whether orthodox or pentecostal. Catholic, anglican, methodist, baptist, cele, CAC, C&S and even adventist, latter day saint and jehovah witness and a host of others all collect offerings. The only difference is the quantity. The point is nobody and no church can force you to give. Its a choice and depends solely on the giver.
Why blame the "receiver" when the "giver" is not complaining.

Psalm 23 says "the lord is my shepherd, l shall not want". "I shall not want" means "l will not lack" or "l have everything l need". Bishop oyedepo has been blessed and is a blessing to his generation. Both spiritually and physically. No other church in africa creates more employment than winners chapel. They create income for several families through salaries and create income for the govt through taxes.

My question is what offence has the bishop committed. He is not the only rich pastor in Nigeria. A church like christ embassy and RCCG even has more branches worldwide. Winners chapel branches in UK give out slips to members so also other churches in the UK. They operate a cashless economy so most transactions are through e-platforms.

How does that concern the bishop who is based in ota ogun state where he preaches every single week. There are many branches in the UK and his son only presides over one. Bishop is a leader of leaders and he has mentored most senior pastors of other vibrant ministries home and abroad. David ibiyieome, simeon afolabi, bolu martins, sam adeyemi, dayo olutayo, taiwo and late bimbo odukoya, biodun fatoyinbo, david agboli, tayo adeyemi etc to mention a few of his proteges.

Bishop doesn't control other winners branches spread over 36states in Nigeria and several african countries. He is a good leader and not a boss. Leadership is about influence and good leaders leverage on "delegation strategies". A good leader only relates with top leaders(20%) and these leaders cordinate other leaders and generate the remaining 80% desired result.

Am not a member of winners chapel but l took interest in the ministry in 1996 when l read in Punch of his 1st private jet. 6years later in 2002, l was priviledged to meet the man and l discovered a humble individual with a strong passion for God and the kingdom. He always says it confidently."I am a messenger of prosperity". So tell me, would u have preferred a "a meesenger of poverty".

Even jesus himself said "l became poor for thy sake so that you may be rich". So why hate this purpose driven visionary and excellence oriented man of God. For all you haters, l advice you to read some of his books to know more about this man.

In a nutshell, always remember that poverty is not spirituality and mediocrity is not righteousness. You don't resemble God by being poor and being poor doesn't make you holier or better than a rich man. Infact poverty will lead you to envy, hatred, unforgiveness, strife, malice and bitterness. these are the six things God hates and most spiritual people are guilty of this even without knowing.

May God give you understanding.
You really made some sensible points. But i want to ask if owning 4 jets is not an excess for a successful man of God.

1 Like

Re: Bishop Oyedepo's Winners' Chapel Accused Of Exploiting British Worshippers by Elcerebro1: 11:12pm On Oct 21, 2012
Ar u surprised?. Ok chk dis out. Power of healin, tongue speakin, profesyin accordin to 1corint. 13: 8 is nt to last beyond d time of d early apostles. Read d entire chapter 13 4 wat wil remain.
Re: Bishop Oyedepo's Winners' Chapel Accused Of Exploiting British Worshippers by opeoluwa2(f): 11:15pm On Oct 21, 2012
torkaka: 5pages and no living faith follower has succeded in answering my question! so i ask again;

"if Jesus was around, will he live like oyedepo or will he live like mother THeresa?"

it's important i get this answer from followers of the preacherneurs in nigeria!
Ps fast and pray Jesus is still speaking to pple.perhaps he ll tell u the answer.
Re: Bishop Oyedepo's Winners' Chapel Accused Of Exploiting British Worshippers by Elcerebro1: 11:27pm On Oct 21, 2012
If u do nt take time 2 study d bible 4 urself. u remain at d mercy of ur pastors(religous slavery) . U must examin d scriptures urself 2 knw wat god require of u. Not a so called MOG .he tels u wat favours him. The actual truth is dis , ONLY D SO CALLED MOG RECEIVES WAT SO CALLED CHRISTIANS CALL MIRACLES.believe it or not
Re: Bishop Oyedepo's Winners' Chapel Accused Of Exploiting British Worshippers by Topsy4242(m): 11:27pm On Oct 21, 2012
Image123: jealous rumors. the man and is church dey expand EVERYDAY. People don't commit suicide or get frustrated oh, give your lives to He who knows what best to do with it instead.
seconded
Re: Bishop Oyedepo's Winners' Chapel Accused Of Exploiting British Worshippers by maxproxl: 11:36pm On Oct 21, 2012
torkaka: @maxpro_xl
that response of yours will go down as the most unintelliegent post i have read on nairaland since i joined!
Lmao @ mother theresa travelled without hindrance and had visa! . . . . .so in your gullible state having visas and travlling without hindrance(attributed to goodwill) now equates with having private jets? no wonder oyedepo is rich! with flocks like you who wouldn't be?

Its so sad that u lack understanding. l was very careful in my last post not to insult you. Did l compare mother theresa's goodwill with private jets. Its obvious u didn't read my post if not u wouldn't av uttered such shameful childish statements. I noted in the post that l am not a member but l know the man very well. You asked a question that "if jesus was alive would he live like mother theresa or oyedepo". Answer: jesus said himself "l became poor for thy sake that you may become rich". He also said "the poor will always remain among us" and that we should help the poor.

The proof of desire is pursuit. Tell me is it a sin for a pastor to acquire two private jets for his large ministry. An equipment also used by other bishops and pastors. Sit down and think and challenge your poverty mindset. Ask yourself, why will bishop buy another jet if its not a necessity for the ministry. His 1st private jet was a gift from keneth copeland. An american pastor that has given out 26private jets as gift as at year 2008. If u doubt it, google his name.

To understand God, study the life of david and solomon in the bible and understand how God's grace operates. Its so sad that you just can't comprehend why a pastor can afford two private jets.

Where there is no vision, people perish and a God giving vision is backed by supernatural provision. Since 1983 this man has been consistent in addiction to kingdom principles and has experienced unlimited breakthroughs with mega testimonies from his members.

When winners chapel started its 1st university in 2002, a lot of pastors and churches criticised him. Now other churches have followed the trend. Even MFM opened one this year. Now that winners have another university, the envy has started again. For your information, in 2002, he announced the vision to set up SIX universities and multiple primary/secondary schools in Nigeria and across africa.

so why won't he command so much attention and hatred from short sighted people like you. If he was a fake pastor, he would have faded away a long time ago like some others pastors. In the next ten years, u will be so amazed by what will happen and will be short of words. By then some pastors of other churches will have been blessed with private jets too so attention will shift from bishop oyedepo. I pray before then, your mind will be renewed and broken free from the shackles of poverty thinking.
Re: Bishop Oyedepo's Winners' Chapel Accused Of Exploiting British Worshippers by prayNaija: 11:58pm On Oct 21, 2012
st donbosco: I don't really know much about this story but I must say frankly that the first day I went to Faith Terbanacle & was opportuned to be laid a hand on my forehead by Bishop Oyedepo, three miracle happened to me on that faithful day. Am a staunch catholic, mind you but I honestly believe he is a man of God. Besides he is not the only influential & wealthy pastor. Almost all of them are.

Thank you for this statement! When you serve God in a place where your life has turned from worse to pleasure, you do not need any rumor to stick you out! I thank God that there was no issue like "The pastor slept with all his choir members, duped his members millions or dollars" but all I could see is envy, uncalled hatred, jealousy and the likes... I trust God's servant, the Bishop that no matter what you these people think does not matter but what matters to him is God who sent him on this onerous mission of libration.
Re: Bishop Oyedepo's Winners' Chapel Accused Of Exploiting British Worshippers by ABAKA72(m): 12:08am On Oct 22, 2012
andyanders:

Good response to Erelu. You need not waste your time on those who do not understand the Supreme Being. She is spiritually blind hence her action
my brother, need I say more.
Re: Bishop Oyedepo's Winners' Chapel Accused Of Exploiting British Worshippers by rhymz(m): 12:21am On Oct 22, 2012
M I B :

this is a preacher that has sold over 300million copies of his books..and just because he is a preacher means he shld suffer abi. Do u ve any idea hw much suffering this man has gone thru before getting to this stage? The ministry is 31 yrs old and you expect him to still be driving the VW beetle he was using in the 80's. I dont know which one it is, but nigerians speak out of jealousy or sheer hatred.SMH for y'all
Like those American Evangelical preacher will say; "this is a lie from the pit of hell!!"
Oyedepo will not sell that amount of publishing merchandizing both now and in multiple re-incarnation combined.
Even pop stars like Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston that churned out massive hits album after hits album for over four decades with sales and recognition that spurn the world can not boast of selling their albums-including videos, audios and whatever format imaginable-to the tune of 300million copies. Let alone Oyedepo with a little over 5-10million congregation population hitting such sales, na beans? He makes so much sales yet I know a lot of his members that do not have one book from him, instead their christian libraries are packed with American christ writers like Joyce Meyer, Hele Bynum and co. You don't even need to read the first page of the man's book to know it is verbatim copy of American mega-bucks prosperity preachers, a wanna-be book with borrowed concept and useless feel good soundbites that is meant for effect and placebo-like deception.
There are way more influential writers with their books scattered across the glob that are struggling to meet the 10million mark let alone a relatively unknown, road-side, cut and paste writer like Oyedepo selling 300million, are you wishing or what?
And I don't care how much sufferings he claims to have gone through, it does not seem like he learnt anything from his so-called sufferings. I have heard him talk about his early years starting his christian empire, as much as his members want to call it suffering, he did not suffer, it was more a story of pride, how he drove delapidated volkswagen or beetle when his contemporaries where driving tear-rubber chrislers and co. Those were not sufferingd per se, just the story of a man who felt he was getting less from his efforts then until recently when he started being blessed.
He is yet to relate with the real sufferings of people both then and now. He can't talk about know their sufferings when he chose, over and over to buy jetplanes when he could use the money to alleviate some people's sufferings.
The man is a ruthless business man with no soul.

4 Likes

Re: Bishop Oyedepo's Winners' Chapel Accused Of Exploiting British Worshippers by rhymz(m): 12:50am On Oct 22, 2012
maxpro-xl:

I av answered your question. Read my post above. For your information. Mother theresa wasn't poor. She operated a very bouyant foundation and flew around the world with no hinderance. she had automatic visa to enter most countries. If u doubt my claim, do a search on google. Having said that, you don't get saved by good works, you're saved by GRACE through FAITH.

Mother theresa only gave material things to the poor. Bishop does that and also liberates people from all oppression of the devil through the preaching of the word of faith. He is reaching out to everyone not only to the poor. READ my post above(the bottom part) for the answer to your initial question. May God give you understanding.
To begin with, your claims of not being save by good works is one of the reasons people see Pauline teachings as gnostic and very different from what Jesus was known to have preached. Even his disciple Peter saw the danger in the nonsense Paul was preaching about people being saved not by works but by some illogical belief in Jesus's death and ressurection.
Now you are trying to use thesame logic to justify Oyedepo's stark lifestyle from his preacherment. How can you claim faith when you don't live by the so-called beliefs. Besides the illogical claims by his mwntally docile sheeples, Oyedepo is not a known philantropist, this is not a case of being humble and not blowing one's trumpet, he no doubt may have given through his church and all that 3rd party donation that can't be traced directly to him but when it comes to real philantropist giving like the type bill gate and other wealthy Americans do, Oyedepo is not a giver. Nigeria is a country with very many unfortunate people, talented kids, very intelligent kids but with little or no financial support, every now and then there are people popping up on tv and other media seeking for funds to to treat one ailment or the other, Oyedepo can set up a foundation afterall, people who are far less wealthy are doing it, Kanu heart foundation is an example. What exactly is Oyedepo's commitment to the betterment of unfortunate folks from where he comes, nothing. His Universities are not free or accessible to ordinary folks, so what exactly is his contributions? Sharing his books to people that want food? Or giving his tapes to students that need financial assistance? My friend, Good works is what the whole essense about God and Jesus should be, it should be about sincere show of compassion, geniune interest to help, not throw crumbs around as a bait. Christianity has gone to the dogs. Am sure that even christ (that is if he realy existed anyway) will be fuming in rage and disblief seeing the ruthlessness of oyedepo.

5 Likes

Re: Bishop Oyedepo's Winners' Chapel Accused Of Exploiting British Worshippers by pastormustwacc: 1:19am On Oct 22, 2012
^^^this strange guy makes a lot of sense today - rymz, this is the first time i am reading your post completely - and yes, you spoke a lot of sense there.
And you are very knowlegeable. And true, Paul was not in the inner circle of Christ back then, so there is NO WAY he could have known more than peter.
Re: Bishop Oyedepo's Winners' Chapel Accused Of Exploiting British Worshippers by Nobody: 1:32am On Oct 22, 2012
Catholic Cardinal Anthony Okogie criticised such preachers for placing materialism above Jesus’s message. He reportedly said: ‘They have been skinning the flock, taking out of the milk of the flock.’

grin grin grin Its more than skinning and milking, its more of pounds of flesh and sucking blood of the flock!
Re: Bishop Oyedepo's Winners' Chapel Accused Of Exploiting British Worshippers by rhymz(m): 1:38am On Oct 22, 2012
pastormustwacc: ^^^this strange guy makes a lot of sense today - rymz, this is the first time i am reading your post completely - and yes, you spoke a lot of sense there.
And you are very knowlegeable. And true, Paul was not in the inner circle of Christ back then, so there is NO WAY he could have known more than peter.
Re: Bishop Oyedepo's Winners' Chapel Accused Of Exploiting British Worshippers by Ilekokonit: 1:57am On Oct 22, 2012
Recently, Pastor Adeboye when cajoling his followers to pledge anything from 100 Naira to more than 2million Naira MONTHLY !!! To Redeemed made the following statement :- If you’re writing a cheque, please write it in the name of The Redeemed Christian Church of God and then at the back, put ‘Covenant Partner’. Don’t write the cheque in Pastor E. A. Adeboye's name.
Any cheque written in my name will be used for what? (Response from the congregation: pounded yam) ah! Thank you, it will go for pounded yam straight.

https://www.nairaland.com/1033120/rccg-covenant-partnership-scam-all

Yet another crafty way of Adeboye justifying to himself his plan to convert for his own belly any cheque which mistakenly has his name as the payee.

Ola Ola pounded yam

What have these Pastors become ??

They have become a menace to the Nigerian society.
Re: Bishop Oyedepo's Winners' Chapel Accused Of Exploiting British Worshippers by Nobody: 5:44am On Oct 22, 2012
maxpro-xl:

I av answered your question. Read my post above. For your information. Mother theresa wasn't poor. She operated a very bouyant foundation and flew around the world with no hinderance. she had automatic visa to enter most countries. If u doubt my claim, do a search on google. Having said that, you don't get saved by good works, you're saved by GRACE through FAITH.

Mother theresa only gave material things to the poor. Bishop does that and also liberates people from all oppression of the devil through the preaching of the word of faith. He is reaching out to everyone not only to the poor. READ my post above(the bottom part) for the answer to your initial question. May God give you understanding.

You are a wicked liar from the pit of hell, mother Thersa Lived with the poor and spent her life in service not in wicked acquisition. Dont compare Mother Thersa with your greedy thief.
lessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta,[1] born Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu (Albanian: [aˈɲɛs ˈɡɔɲdʒa bɔjaˈdʒiu]) and commonly known as Mother Teresa of Calcutta (26 August 1910 – 5 September 1997), was an Albanian-born Indian Roman Catholic nun. "By blood, I am Albanian. By citizenship, an Indian. By faith, I am a Catholic nun. As to my calling, I belong to the world. As to my heart, I belong entirely to the Heart of Jesus."[2] In late 2003, she was beatified, the third step toward possible sainthood. A second miracle credited to Mother Teresa is required before she can be recognized as a saint by the Catholic church.[3][4] Mother Teresa was fluent in five languages: Bengali, the local language of the people of Kolkata,[5] Albanian, Serbo-Croatian, English, and Hindi.[6]

Mother Teresa founded the Missionaries of Charity, a Roman Catholic religious congregation, which in 2012 consisted of over 4,500 sisters and is active in 133 countries. Members of the order must adhere to the vows of chastity, poverty and obedience, and the fourth vow, to give "Wholehearted and Free service to the poorest of the poor". The Missionaries of Charity at the time of her death had 610 missions in 123 countries including hospices and homes for people with HIV/AIDS, leprosy and tuberculosis, soup kitchens, children's and family counselling programmes, orphanages and schools.

For over 45 years, she ministered to the poor, sick, orphaned, and dying, while guiding the Missionaries of Charity's expansion, first throughout India and then in other countries. Her beatification by Pope John Paul II following her death gave her the title "Blessed Teresa of Calcutta".

She was the recipient of numerous honours including the 1979 Nobel Peace Prize. She refused the conventional ceremonial banquet given to laureates, and asked that the $192,000 funds be given to the poor in India. Her awards include the first Pope John XXIII Peace Prize, the Philippines-based Ramon Magsaysay Award, the Pacem in Terris Award, an honorary Companion of the Order of Australia, the Order of Merit from both the United Kingdom and the United States, Albania's Golden Honour of the Nation, honorary degrees, the Balzan Prize, and the Albert Schweitzer International Prize amongst many others.

Mother Teresa stated that earthly rewards were important only if they helped her help the world's needy. When Mother Teresa received the Nobel Peace Prize, she was asked, "What can we do to promote world peace?" She answered "Go home and love your family." In her Nobel Lecture, she said: "Around the world, not only in the poor countries, but I found the poverty of the West so much more difficult to remove. When I pick up a person from the street, hungry, I give him a plate of rice, a piece of bread, I have satisfied. I have removed that hunger. But a person that is shut out, that feels unwanted, unloved, terrified, the person that has been thrown out from society—that poverty is so hurtable [sic] and so much, and I find that very difficult." She also singled out abortion as 'the greatest destroyer of peace in the world'.

During her lifetime, Mother Teresa was named 18 times in the yearly Gallup's most admired man and woman poll as one of the ten women around the world that Americans admired most. In 1999, a poll of Americans ranked her first in Gallup's List of Most Widely Admired People of the 20th Century. In that survey, she out-polled all other volunteered answers by a wide margin, and was in first place in all major demographic categories except the very young.
n 10 September 1946, Teresa experienced what she later described as "the call within the call" while traveling by train to the Loreto convent in Darjeeling from Calcutta for her annual retreat. "I was to leave the convent and help the poor while living among them. It was an order. To fail would have been to break the faith."[28] As one author later noted, "Though no one knew it at the time, Sister Teresa had just become Mother Teresa".[29]

S[b]he began her missionary work with the poor in 1948, replacing her traditional Loreto habit with a simple white cotton sari decorated with a blue border. Mother Teresa adopted Indian citizenship, spent a few months in Patna to receive a basic medical training in the Holy Family Hospital and then ventured out into the slums.[30][31] Initially she started a school in Motijhil (Calcutta); soon she started tending to the needs of the destitute and starving.[32] In the beginning of 1949 she was joined in her effort by a group of young women and laid the foundations to create a new religious community helping the "poorest among the poor".

Her efforts quickly caught the attention of Indian officials, including the prime minister, who expressed his appreciation.[33]

Teresa wrote in her diary that her first year was fraught with difficulties. She had no income and had to resort to begging for food and supplies. Teresa experienced doubt, loneliness and the temptation to return to the comfort of convent life during these early months. She wrote in her diary:
Our Lord wants me to be a free nun covered with the poverty of the cross. Today I learned a good lesson. The poverty of the poor must be so hard for them. While looking for a home I walked and walked till my arms and legs ached. I thought how much they must ache in body and soul, looking for a home, food and health. Then the comfort of Loreto [her former order] came to tempt me. 'You have only to say the word and all that will be yours again,' the Tempter kept on saying ... Of free choice, my God, and out of love for you, I desire to remain and do whatever be your Holy will in my regard. I did not let a single tear come.[34]

Teresa received Vatican permission on 7 October 1950 to start the diocesan congregation that would become the Missionaries of Charity.[35] Its mission was to care for, in her own words, "the hungry, the naked, the homeless, the crippled, the blind, the lepers, all those people who feel unwanted, unloved, uncared for throughout society, people that have become a burden to the society and are shunned by everyone."

It began as a small order with 13 members in Calcutta; by 1997 it had grown to more than 4,000 sisters running orphanages, AIDS hospices and charity centers worldwide, and caring for refugees, the blind, disabled, aged, alcoholics, the poor and homeless, and victims of floods, epidemics, and famine.[36][/b]

In 1952 Mother Teresa opened the first Home for the Dying in space made available by the city of Calcutta (Kolkata). With the help of Indian officials she converted an abandoned Hindu temple into the Kalighat Home for the Dying, a free hospice for the poor. She renamed it Kalighat, the Home of the Pure Heart (Nirmal Hriday).[37] Those brought to the home received medical attention and were afforded the opportunity to die with dignity, according to the rituals of their faith; Muslims were read the Quran, Hindus received water from the Ganges, and Catholics received the Last Rites.[38] "A beautiful death," she said, "is for people who lived like animals to die like angels—loved and wanted."[38]

Mother Teresa soon opened a home for those suffering from Hansen's disease, commonly known as leprosy, and called the hospice Shanti Nagar (City of Peace).[39] The Missionaries of Charity also established several leprosy outreach clinics throughout Calcutta, providing medication, bandages and food.[40]

As the Missionaries of Charity took in increasing numbers of lost children, Mother Teresa felt the need to create a home for them. In 1955 she opened the Nirmala Shishu Bhavan, the Children's Home of the Immaculate Heart, as a haven for orphans and homeless youth.[41]

T[b]he order soon began to attract both recruits and charitable donations, and by the 1960s had opened hospices, orphanages and leper houses all over India. Mother Teresa then expanded the order throughout the globe. Its first house outside India opened in Venezuela in 1965 with five sisters.[42] Others followed in Rome, Tanzania, and Austria in 1968; during the 1970s the order opened houses and foundations in dozens of countries in Asia, Africa, Europe and the United States.[43]
[/b]
The Missionaries of Charity Brothers was founded in 1963, and a contemplative branch of the Sisters followed in 1976. Lay Catholics and non-Catholics were enrolled in the Co-Workers of Mother Teresa, the Sick and Suffering Co-Workers, and the Lay Missionaries of Charity. In answer to the requests of many priests, in 1981 Mother Teresa also began the Corpus Christi Movement for Priests,[44] and in 1984 founded with Fr. Joseph Langford the Missionaries of Charity Fathers[45] to combine the vocational aims of the Missionaries of Charity with the resources of the ministerial priesthood. By 2007 the Missionaries of Charity numbered approximately 450 brothers and 5,000 sisters worldwide, operating 600 missions, schools and shelters in 120 countries.[46]

On what basis can you even compare that scammer with this angel?

2 Likes

Re: Bishop Oyedepo's Winners' Chapel Accused Of Exploiting British Worshippers by Nobody: 5:48am On Oct 22, 2012
Mother Teresa suffered a heart attack in Rome in 1983, while visiting Pope John Paul II. After a second attack in 1989, she received an artificial pacemaker. In 1991, after a battle with pneumonia while in Mexico, she suffered further heart problems. She offered to resign her position as head of the Missionaries of Charity, but the sisters of the order, in a secret ballot, voted for her to stay. Mother Teresa agreed to continue her work as head of the order.[56]

In April 1996, Mother Teresa fell and broke her collar bone. In August she suffered from malaria and failure of the left heart ventricle. She had heart surgery but it was clear that her health was declining. The Archbishop of Calcutta, Henry Sebastian D'Souza, said he ordered a priest to perform an exorcism on Mother Teresa with her permission when she was first hospitalised with cardiac problems because he thought she may be under attack by the devil.[57]

On 13 March 1997, she stepped down from the head of Missionaries of Charity. She died on 5 September 1997.[58]

At the time of her death, Mother Teresa's Missionaries of Charity had over 4,000 sisters, and an associated brotherhood of 300 members, operating 610 missions in 123 countries.[59] These included hospices and homes for people with HIV/AIDS, leprosy and tuberculosis, soup kitchens, children's and family counseling programs, personal helpers, orphanages, and schools. The Missionaries of Charity were also aided by Co-Workers, who numbered over 1 million by the 1990s.[60]

Mother Teresa lay in repose in St Thomas, Kolkata for one week prior to her funeral, in September 1997. She was granted a state funeral by the Indian government in gratitude for her services to the poor of all religions in India.[61] Her death was mourned in both secular and religious communities. In tribute, Nawaz Sharif, the Prime Minister of Pakistan said that she was "a rare and unique individual who lived long for higher purposes. Her life-long devotion to the care of the poor, the sick, and the disadvantaged was one of the highest examples of service to our humanity."[62] The former U.N. Secretary-General Javier Pérez de Cuéllar said: "She is the United Nations. She is peace in the world."[62]
n 1962, Mother Teresa received the Philippines-based Ramon Magsaysay Award for International Understanding, given for work in South or East Asia. The citation said that "the Board of Trustees recognizes her merciful cognizance of the abject poor of a foreign land, in whose service she has led a new congregation".[70] By the early 1970s, Mother Teresa had become an international celebrity. Her fame can be in large part attributed to the 1969 documentary Something Beautiful for God, which was filmed by Malcolm Muggeridge and his 1971 book of the same title. Muggeridge was undergoing a spiritual journey of his own at the time.[71] During the filming of the documentary, footage taken in poor lighting conditions, particularly the Home for the Dying, was thought unlikely to be of usable quality by the crew. After returning from India, however, the footage was found to be extremely well lit. Muggeridge claimed this was a miracle of "divine light" from Mother Teresa herself.[72] Others in the crew thought it was due to a new type of ultra-sensitive Kodak film.[73] Muggeridge later converted to Catholicism.

Around this time, the Catholic world began to honor Mother Teresa publicly. In 1971, Paul VI awarded her the first Pope John XXIII Peace Prize, commending her for her work with the poor, display of Christian charity and efforts for peace.[74] She later received the Pacem in Terris Award (1976).[75] Since her death, Mother Teresa has progressed rapidly along the steps towards sainthood, currently having reached the stage of having been beatified.

Mother Teresa was honoured by both governments and civilian organisations. She was appointed an honorary Companion of the Order of Australia in 1982, "for service to the community of Australia and humanity at large."[76] The United Kingdom and the United States each repeatedly granted awards, culminating in the Order of Merit in 1983, and honorary citizenship of the United States received on 16 November 1996. Mother Teresa's Albanian homeland granted her the Golden Honour of the Nation in 1994.[64] Her acceptance of this and another honour granted by the Haitian government proved controversial. Mother Teresa attracted criticism from a number of people for implicitly giving support to the Duvaliers and to corrupt businessmen such as Charles Keating and Robert Maxwell. In Keating's case she wrote to the judge of his trial asking for clemency to be shown.[64][77]

Universities in both the West and in India granted her honorary degrees.[64] Other civilian awards include the Balzan Prize for promoting humanity, peace and brotherhood among peoples (1978),[78] and the Albert Schweitzer International Prize (1975).[79]

In 1979, Mother Teresa was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize, "for work undertaken in the struggle to overcome poverty and distress, which also constitutes a threat to peace." She refused the conventional ceremonial banquet given to laureates, and asked that the $192,000 funds be given to the poor in India,[80] stating that earthly rewards were important only if they helped her help the world's needy. When Mother Teresa received the prize, she was asked, "What can we do to promote world peace?" She answered "Go home and love your family." Building on this theme in her Nobel Lecture, she said: "Around the world, not only in the poor countries, but I found the poverty of the West so much more difficult to remove. When I pick up a person from the street, hungry, I give him a plate of rice, a piece of bread, I have satisfied. I have removed that hunger. But a person that is shut out, that feels unwanted, unloved, terrified, the person that has been thrown out from society—that poverty is so hurtable [sic] and so much, and I find that very difficult." She also singled out abortion as 'the greatest destroyer of peace in the world'.[81]

During her lifetime, Mother Teresa was named 18 times in the yearly Gallup's most admired man and woman poll as one of the ten women around the world that Americans admired most, finishing first several times in the 1980s and 1990s.[82] In 1999, a poll of Americans ranked her first in Gallup's List of Most Widely Admired People of the 20th Century.[83] In that survey, she out-polled all other volunteered answers by a wide margin, and was in first place in all major demographic categories except the very young.[83][84]

How do you compare someone who refused the conventional award ceremony with pomp and pageantry so the money could be used to help others to someone who rides 4 private jets in the midst of so much lack and poverty in his own land? Nonsense

3 Likes

Re: Bishop Oyedepo's Winners' Chapel Accused Of Exploiting British Worshippers by StanleyDivine(m): 6:45am On Oct 22, 2012
In as much as I do not hold brief for Oyedepo,I think he hasn't committed any crime.Note what the MP said;cynical exploitation.It took the gullible and the desperate to be convinced or rather fooled into gleefully parting with their hard-earned money.I guess its miracle for money and so far none of the "cynically exploited" has legally sued for fraud.Probably they re getting the spiritual value of their money. Was the MP a member of the church? Has he attended the church ones or was he observing from afar?
For those who think there is no divine healing,I put it to them that they are either spiritually ignorant or outright fools.Some things are indisputable.Disputing divine healing or miracle tantamounts to denying the existence of God. And only a fool has said in his heart that there is no God.Ranting on NL because the name of Oyedepo an MOG was mentioned in controversial circumstances connotes a satanic mind-bent and calls for caution so we don't fall into the trap of blasphemy or apostacy.
I earnestly pray that the true God reveals to us his real MOGs and expose every wolf in sheep's clothing.
Re: Bishop Oyedepo's Winners' Chapel Accused Of Exploiting British Worshippers by snowprince01(m): 7:54am On Oct 22, 2012
I hav never bn a fan of a pastor owning jets when there r still poor men on d streets even in his village there is gatta b poor persons. How can a pastor live such luxurious life? Its absurd. Well am not judging but till thy kingdom come I will never b in support of a pastor owning a jet even jets nd a phantom.. WTF
Re: Bishop Oyedepo's Winners' Chapel Accused Of Exploiting British Worshippers by Nobody: 7:58am On Oct 22, 2012
maxpro-xl:

Its so sad that u lack understanding. l was very careful in my last post not to insult you. Did l compare mother theresa's goodwill with private jets. Its obvious u didn't read my post if not u wouldn't av uttered such shameful childish statements. I noted in the post that l am not a member but l know the man very well. You asked a question that "if jesus was alive would he live like mother theresa or oyedepo". Answer: jesus said himself "l became poor for thy sake that you may become rich". He also said "the poor will always remain among us" and that we should help the poor.

The proof of desire is pursuit. Tell me is it a sin for a pastor to acquire two private jets for his large ministry. An equipment also used by other bishops and pastors. Sit down and think and challenge your poverty mindset. Ask yourself, why will bishop buy another jet if its not a necessity for the ministry. His 1st private jet was a gift from keneth copeland. An american pastor that has given out 26private jets as gift as at year 2008. If u doubt it, google his name.

To understand God, study the life of david and solomon in the bible and understand how God's grace operates. Its so sad that you just can't comprehend why a pastor can afford two private jets.

Where there is no vision, people perish and a God giving vision is backed by supernatural provision. Since 1983 this man has been consistent in addiction to kingdom principles and has experienced unlimited breakthroughs with mega testimonies from his members.

When winners chapel started its 1st university in 2002, a lot of pastors and churches criticised him. Now other churches have followed the trend. Even MFM opened one this year. Now that winners have another university, the envy has started again. For your information, in 2002, he announced the vision to set up SIX universities and multiple primary/secondary schools in Nigeria and across africa.

so why won't he command so much attention and hatred from short sighted people like you. If he was a fake pastor, he would have faded away a long time ago like some others pastors. In the next ten years, u will be so amazed by what will happen and will be short of words. By then some pastors of other churches will have been blessed with private jets too so attention will shift from bishop oyedepo. I pray before then, your mind will be renewed and broken free from the shackles of poverty thinking.

i truly lack words to respond to you!! like i said, with people like you as his flock i am not surprised oyedepo is filthy rich!!

[size=14pt]MOTHER THERESA WAS A CHRISTIAN WHO LIVED THE CHRIST LIKE LIFE!! OYEDEPO IS A CON ARTIST WHO LIVES LIKE 50CENT!! [/size]

2 Likes

Re: Bishop Oyedepo's Winners' Chapel Accused Of Exploiting British Worshippers by lukaino(m): 9:16am On Oct 22, 2012
Strolls into thread, perceives a strong stench of envy among jobless atheists towards a man of God. h.i.s.s.es and leaves
Re: Bishop Oyedepo's Winners' Chapel Accused Of Exploiting British Worshippers by Chrisbenogor(m): 9:17am On Oct 22, 2012
torkaka:

i truly lack words to respond to you!! like i said, with people like you as his flock i am not surprised oyedepo is filthy rich!!

[size=14pt]MOTHER THERESA WAS A CHRISTIAN WHO LIVED THE CHRIST LIKE LIFE!! OYEDEPO IS A CON ARTIST WHO LIVES LIKE 50CENT!! [/size]
Finally the day comes when I agree with torkaka
Re: Bishop Oyedepo's Winners' Chapel Accused Of Exploiting British Worshippers by Nobody: 9:19am On Oct 22, 2012
Chrisbenogor:
Finally the day comes when I agree with torkaka
. . . . . .don't worry, the other issue is still pending!
Re: Bishop Oyedepo's Winners' Chapel Accused Of Exploiting British Worshippers by Nobody: 9:20am On Oct 22, 2012
lukaino: Strolls into thread, perceives a strong stench of envy among jobless atheists towards a man of God. h.i.s.s.es and leaves

that will make me the grand son of john the baptist!
Re: Bishop Oyedepo's Winners' Chapel Accused Of Exploiting British Worshippers by Chrisbenogor(m): 9:21am On Oct 22, 2012
torkaka:
. . . . . .don't worry, the other issue is still pending!
HAHAHAHAHAHA, but you should not add the 50 cent part na thats just grin grin grin grin grin grin buhahahahahahahahahaha
Re: Bishop Oyedepo's Winners' Chapel Accused Of Exploiting British Worshippers by Nobody: 9:27am On Oct 22, 2012
Chrisbenogor:
HAHAHAHAHAHA, but you should not add the 50 cent part na thats just grin grin grin grin grin grin buhahahahahahahahahaha
saying it as it is!
Re: Bishop Oyedepo's Winners' Chapel Accused Of Exploiting British Worshippers by dartsidius7(m): 9:57am On Oct 22, 2012
the pastor has more stuff than rick ross and P.diddy. smiley
Re: Bishop Oyedepo's Winners' Chapel Accused Of Exploiting British Worshippers by cybergee(m): 10:00am On Oct 22, 2012
Logicboy03:

You and the 2 million are ignorant sheep.

The facts about him are out there for everyone to see. He has private jets and luxury cars. Is that a lie?

Why are you people just foolish?

I'M BLESSED TO BE A MEMBER OF WINNERS CHAPEL SINCE 1999.I HAVE NEVER BEEN SICK SINCE I HAD ENCOUNTER WITH TOTAL HEALTH.I GOT MARRIED MIRACULOUSLY, HAD A BABY MIRACULOUSLY AND FOUND GOD REAL.TO ME EVERY MAN TRULY CALLED SHOULD NOT DIE IN PENURY AND WHAT HAPPENS AROUND SHOWS IF YOU ARE PREACHING WHAT YOU LIVE.THERE ARE PEOPLE IN WINNERS THAT OWN PRIVATE JETS AND VERY SOON I WILL OWN ONE.MATERIAL THINGS IS NOT THE GOAL BUT LIFE SHOULDN'T BE MORE EASY FOR UNBELIEVERS THAN BELIEVERS WITH UNDERSTANDING.THIS ARE NEEDS TO SOME PEOPLE, ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE BUSY PERSON AND TRAVEL FREQUENTLY.I LIVE A STRUGGLE FREE LIVE,AND I KNOW WHERE I'M COMING FROM.
Re: Bishop Oyedepo's Winners' Chapel Accused Of Exploiting British Worshippers by Nobody: 10:04am On Oct 22, 2012
cybergee:

I'M BLESSED TO BE A MEMBER OF WINNERS CHAPEL SINCE 1999.I HAVE NEVER BEEN SICK SINCE I HAD ENCOUNTER WITH TOTAL HEALTH.I GOT MARRIED MIRACULOUSLY, HAD A BABY MIRACULOUSLY AND FOUND GOD REAL.TO ME EVERY MAN TRULY CALLED SHOULD NOT DIE IN PENURY AND WHAT HAPPENS AROUND SHOWS IF YOU ARE PREACHING WHAT YOU LIVE.THERE ARE PEOPLE IN WINNERS THAT OWN PRIVATE JETS AND VERY SOON I WILL OWN ONE.MATERIAL THINGS IS NOT THE GOAL BUT LIFE SHOULDN'T BE MORE EASY FOR UNBELIEVERS THAN BELIEVERS WITH UNDERSTANDING.THIS ARE NEEDS TO SOME PEOPLE, ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE BUSY PERSON AND TRAVEL FREQUENTLY.I LIVE A STRUGGLE FREE LIVE,AND I KNOW WHERE I'M COMING FROM.

It wouldnt be surprising also if you died miraculously then?
Re: Bishop Oyedepo's Winners' Chapel Accused Of Exploiting British Worshippers by Nobody: 10:05am On Oct 22, 2012
cybergee:

i haven't been sick since 1995, i got married(don't know what a miraculous marriage looks like), got two sets of twins angry angry(putting them under control is a daily miracle) and yeah i know the real God! WHAT THE HECK IS THIS GUY TALKING ABOUT?
Re: Bishop Oyedepo's Winners' Chapel Accused Of Exploiting British Worshippers by olubayo1(m): 10:14am On Oct 22, 2012
Someone made a VERY STUPID comment and am greatly disturbed by it.

The comment went something like this in defending Mr. Oyedepo's ownership of Private jets:

"If he has to be in London tomorrow and South Africa the next day, do you expect him to be booking commercial airlines?"

Firstly, I would want to ask the dumb fool, is there a crime in a man of God (?) boarding a commercial plane? Even Jesus had to interract with the not-too-priviledged in other to get his message across.

I Oyedepo's ego is so big that he doesn't want to be seen in an aircraft with the "low class" people, then he should fly first class in a "Behind" cabin meant for a demi-god like him.

Abi, isn't that the essence of "first class service" on airplanes?

Secondly, as at the last time I checked, there was something referred to as an "organiser" and someone regarded as a "Personal Assistant".

If he's wise enough, he would get both- an organiser and a personal assistant- and all the complains of "rushing up and down" to book ticket would be efficently dealt with.

Those popular and more busy individuals in the world whose work involve travelling from country to country, and do not have private jets, employ this method.

Except, some bigots want to concor that Mr. Oyedepo is a disorganised man.

Next time, Mr. or Miss. Idiot who wants wants to defend a man of God, please stick your arguments to logic.

I wholeheartedly support those who want churches to start paying taxes!

Charity begins at home.
Re: Bishop Oyedepo's Winners' Chapel Accused Of Exploiting British Worshippers by cybergee(m): 10:26am On Oct 22, 2012
torkaka:

i haven't been sick since 1995, i got married(don't know what a miraculous marriage looks like), got two sets of twins angry angry(putting them under control is a daily miracle) and yeah i know the real God! WHAT THE HECK IS THIS GUY TALKING ABOUT?
please i'm not contesting with you. i just told you my experience.i am saying i got more understanding of my rights as a believer via the many teachings and reading of dr. oyedepo.i discovered this things are biblical and since then my life is a miracle.
Re: Bishop Oyedepo's Winners' Chapel Accused Of Exploiting British Worshippers by Nobody: 10:32am On Oct 22, 2012
cybergee:
please i'm not contesting with you. i just told you my experience.i am saying i got more understanding of my rights as a believer via the many teachings and reading of dr. oyedepo.i discovered this things are biblical and since then my life is a miracle.

and i also showed you that my life is common though folks like you consider it a miracle!

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Actor Playing Jesus On Easter Friday Lands Heavily On The Floor. / Pastor Ties Bride & Groom With A Rope At The Altar (Photos) / All The Continents, Every Countries, Every Person See What's Coming

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 153
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.