Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,562 members, 7,770,456 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 10:50 AM

Nestlé Responds To Golden Morn Discussion - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Nestlé Responds To Golden Morn Discussion (102998 Views)

Nestlé Golden Morn Too Much Sugar / Is Nestlé Purelife Bottled Water Tasty? / Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nestlé Responds To Golden Morn Discussion by Nobody: 11:42am On Oct 22, 2012
pingo: this is good! Kudos to Nairalanders!!! We are waiting for the day government officials will start responding too!

dats where d difference is they are not accountable to us unlike Nestlé. we have to find a way to make them.
Re: Nestlé Responds To Golden Morn Discussion by Policewoman(f): 12:15pm On Oct 22, 2012
My fellow Nairalanders! Dont we think there is more to it. How many people out there are aware of this information.

We no longer see goldenmorn adverts on the TV or radio, yet 90% of Nigerian kids under the age of 3yrs consumes this food everyday.

We have not been told the truth. Why is Nestle foods coming up with this info now?

Though the damage has been caused, we should still have to be told the reason?

We have SON n NAFDAC in the house. Please cant these guys be sanctioned?

Trust other countries have standards ... We take alot of things for granted in this country.

1 Like

Re: Nestlé Responds To Golden Morn Discussion by thaira(f): 12:29pm On Oct 22, 2012
angry
Re: Nestlé Responds To Golden Morn Discussion by thaira(f): 12:30pm On Oct 22, 2012
I think Nestlé's confused or they are being deliberately ambiguous. At what age does a child stop being an infant? Age 3? When do you start children on solids like the cereal in contention here?
Re: Nestlé Responds To Golden Morn Discussion by AjanleKoko: 12:31pm On Oct 22, 2012
It's not good ethics coming from Nestle.
I'm sure their market intel has told them already that the product is used largely by infants and toddlers. They may have discovered something, which is why they are legally trying to disown their market. They should be sanctioned by the regulator (NAFDAC), or hit with a class-action suit at the least.

2 Likes

Re: Nestlé Responds To Golden Morn Discussion by heavensown: 12:33pm On Oct 22, 2012
For those saying that parents are negligent by not reading the pack, this warning was just added in June 2012. So if you've got any pack which was manufactured before then, you will see NO SUCH WARNING. I've got one at home which has NO SUCH INSCRIPTION on it. No parent will willingly give their baby anything that will harm his/her child. Nestle needs to explain why they SUDDENLY decided it is no more suitable for kids under age 3. Have they added any new ingredients or changed the way it was produced? If that is not the case, what effect does it have on those kids who have been consuming it before and they should take responsibility for the harm it may have caused to children who have been fed the cereal before the warning was introduced.

1 Like

Re: Nestlé Responds To Golden Morn Discussion by Smartiegurl(f): 1:08pm On Oct 22, 2012
U ar right sha buh seriously kids luv dat meal nd it wil be difficult 2 stp dem nau dat d information is clear.
Re: Nestlé Responds To Golden Morn Discussion by hannydarl(f): 1:42pm On Oct 22, 2012
Oga Nestle PR, this is the oportunity you have to tell us whe fed our infants golden morn prior to your new warnning what dangers our kids were exposed to. You should just say the problem a baby below 3 given golden morn can experience I.e constipation, reflux, Autism or maybe nothing to worry about. When my son was a baby Nestle truck used to bring goldenmorn to the immunization center to sell to us moms with todlers and so we felt it was safe to introduce it to our kids.
Anyway, I have noticed that kids who are first introduced to golden morn don't like to upgrade to regular natural foods. They stick to goldenmorn for ages. So I have kept it far from my second child.

2 Likes

Re: Nestlé Responds To Golden Morn Discussion by Youngsage: 1:43pm On Oct 22, 2012
hillyf: did'nt u hear dem say dey included d information in june??
and so, even if d information wasnt dere b4 nko?
Re: Nestlé Responds To Golden Morn Discussion by Youngsage: 1:46pm On Oct 22, 2012
hillyf: did'nt u hear dem say dey included d information in june??
and so, even if d information wasnt dere b4 nko? It is a normal tin one shud know dat it is highly processed nt 4 infants. Even some mums feed their babies indomie, they are waitin 4 indomie 2 say nt 4 infant feedin b4 dey knw dat its nt proper abi?

1 Like

Re: Nestlé Responds To Golden Morn Discussion by Nobody: 2:37pm On Oct 22, 2012
Hello Peterwins. Thanks for your comment on Nestlé Golden Morn. I’m Iquo Ukoh from Nestlé Nigeria.

We apologise for the confusion caused by the information which was added to the product label in June, 2012. The product was labelled as “Golden Morn is not an infant cereal. Not suitable for children below 3 years” as a precautionary measure because it is not formulated as an infant or weaning cereal.

We have decided to modify the label to avoid any further inconvenience. We continue to clearly mention it is not an infant cereal.

We always communicate information that help consumers make informed purchasing decision and we encourage our consumers to choose a variety of foods to meet daily nutritional requirements.

What arrant NONSENCE!

What the heck does this mean

It's either suitable or it's NOT! What do these people even take us for here in this country.

If there's need for precaution, then there's absolute danger. And if it's dangerous, then the issue NEEDS to be addresses. Not hidden in an almost invincible corner . . . . SHAME on you NESTLE! I'm stopping the use of ALL your products.
Re: Nestlé Responds To Golden Morn Discussion by jossy26: 3:09pm On Oct 22, 2012
I just spoke to a friend that works in nestle now and he told me they just introduced a mineral with iron content which is indicated in front of the pack.

He said the analysis shows that the iron is not suitable for kids after concerns were raised about it for infant feeding, that's why they said its not an infant meal.

My questions now are which the nestle employee couldn't answer;
1, Why introduce a new mineral that will not be suitable to an existing product being consumed by infants?
2, Why not take the mineral out and let's return to status quo while they maintain there market share.

Well, I think they know better

2 Likes

Re: Nestlé Responds To Golden Morn Discussion by Peterwins(m): 5:23pm On Oct 22, 2012
[quote author=Seun][/quote]
The best response is to come out clean with the truth even though it may hurt your sales and corporate image for a while. Some persons might dig very deep and institute a class action suit against Nestle Nigeria and win even if you put up a formidable defense team of SAN's. Golden morn was never meant to be an infant cereal but your organisation ignored it without putting appropriate warning until now. I have researched and I have my facts. A mass media campaign for its proper use may not be a bad start for now. I don't have enough time right now to discuss further. I will get back later. Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Nestlé Responds To Golden Morn Discussion by obasijoy(f): 6:08pm On Oct 22, 2012
Myson eats Golden morn and I will continue to give him that. My mind tells me that Nestle people are looking for way to promote high demand of Cerelac. Since the price of cerelac increase to almost #2000. A lot of parent are now going for golden morn since it's affordable. How many parent will say that golden morn is not good on his kids health. My son takes it every day and its very good on him. Nestle you guys should reduce the price of cerelac. The big tin is almost #2000 and it doesn't even last up to a week. I'm sure many of us were fed with golden morn and we are still bouncing till now. REDUCE THE PRICE OF CERELAC, YOU WILL SEE WE PARENTS RUSHING BACK TO IT.

2 Likes

Re: Nestlé Responds To Golden Morn Discussion by Labelle(f): 7:18pm On Oct 22, 2012
obasijoy: Myson eats Golden morn and I will continue to give him that. My mind tells me that Nestle people are looking for way to promote high demand of Cerelac. Since the price of cerelac increase to almost #2000. A lot of parent are now going for golden morn since it's affordable. How many parent will say that golden morn is not good on his kids health. My son takes it every day and its very good on him. Nestle you guys should reduce the price of cerelac. The big tin is almost #2000 and it doesn't even last up to a week. I'm sure many of us were fed with golden morn and we are still bouncing till now. REDUCE THE PRICE OF CERELAC, YOU WILL SEE WE PARENTS RUSHING BACK TO IT.

@Obasijoy,

You are 100% correct on this, I have been scrolling through comments to see if some some folks would figure this out.

HAHHAA, kudos, You are very well on point.

Sales drop in Cerelac and Nutried may have sparked the sudden 'precautionary insert'. They have basically become premium/luxury infant lines as the prices are not pocket friendly.

At my age i still eat all 3 (Cerelac, Nutriend and GoldenMorn) and I can tell you that Nutriend and Goldenmorn are basically the SAME, flake for flake!

Cerelac on the other hand is loaded with milk and sugar, hence more tasty and lovely for my tummy. smiley
Re: Nestlé Responds To Golden Morn Discussion by Rexphobia(m): 9:55pm On Oct 22, 2012
Abi they started adding cassava ni?

cecegorz:
You are right bro.
It is possible that they added some stronger contents that neccesitates the added info on the pack just in June this year.
My 3-year old has been on it since she was one, and we really have had no reason to suspect it as she never had any digestive issues.
NESTLE should do better than the above by providing a clear reason for the recent changes.
Re: Nestlé Responds To Golden Morn Discussion by drphantom: 6:45am On Oct 23, 2012
cecegorz:
You are right bro.
It is possible that they added some stronger contents that neccesitates the added info on the pack just in June this year.
My 3-year old has been on it since she was one, and we really have had no reason to suspect it as she never had any digestive issues.
NESTLE should do better than the above by providing a clear reason for the recent changes.

I think its always pertinent to investigate a matter before expressing one's sentiments. I don't work for Nestle so I have nothing to gain from posting my opinion. I think people are being unfair to Nestle. NAFDAC introduced some policy changes in the categorization of baby vs infant vs weaning food products earlier this year. Nestle did their due diligence in including the disclaimer on the pack NOT because Golden Morn is dangerous for children under three BUT because we Nigerian use it as an infant weaning formula WHICH IT IS NOT. Nothing new was added (please compare old and new packs if you have them).

Nigerians have in the past weaned their children on all sorts of things (example is the person who posted in this thread aboout weaning her child on garri). It is wrong not because it will kill the child or the child will not be able to swallow it. Its wrong simply because the child MAY not be able to FULLY digest it and gain all his/her nutritional need from it. This may have been the cause of the low PCV an earlier poster spoke about which we call 'nutritional anaemia' (but also bear in mind that nutritional anaemia will take about 3 months to set it so if your child was weaned on golden morn within a 3 month period, then there may be some other cause for the anaemia your child suffered).

All this 'Nestle bashing' is unwarranted in my professional opinion. The reasoning is clear. Golden Morn is not a weaning cereal. Most under three's can take it provided its not used as a weaning cereal as it may not provide their complete nutritional needs.
Re: Nestlé Responds To Golden Morn Discussion by Emary(f): 8:48am On Oct 23, 2012
I'm a doctor and I've been a Golden morn fan since it came out when I was a kid. My sister has been eating it since she was 4 months old and is now a perfectly healthy 28yr old. The only reason for the warning is that the formula is not made for easy digestion in children, not that it is harmful in anyway. It is still a nutritious and very balanced meal. However some young children may not digest it properly especially with the new maize formula so you need to observe their stool and look for poorly digested content. If you find it, you'll need to wait till the child is older. There is no need for any panic.

1 Like

Re: Nestlé Responds To Golden Morn Discussion by Nobody: 8:55am On Oct 23, 2012
I mixed semolina with milk(eva and powder) and brown sugar(cooked) and it tasted exactly like Golden morn, so can you feed your kids that? the answer is a bog NO, please don't give yourself any hypertension as it is, moving forward don't feed it to infants until they are 3!

BTW people in Haiti will kill to feed their newborn GM mixed with prune(to avoid constipation that Nestle is trying to avoid)... we are too much!

I think I just figured the way to make my own homemade GM grin
Re: Nestlé Responds To Golden Morn Discussion by helixmanager: 10:48am On Oct 23, 2012
Emary: I'm a doctor and I've been a Golden morn fan since it came out when I was a kid. My sister has been eating it since she was 4 months old and is now a perfectly healthy 28yr old. The only reason for the warning is that the formula is not made for easy digestion in children, not that it is harmful in anyway. It is still a nutritious and very balanced meal. However some young children may not digest it properly especially with the new maize formula so you need to observe their stool and look for poorly digested content. If you find it, you'll need to wait till the child is older. There is no need for any panic.

I am surprised shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Anyway,being a doctor doesn't make you a Dieticians or Nutritionist.I recommend you widen your scope on Pediatric Nutrition.

I am also aware Nestle has delegates that provide information about their brands in the HCF,ask them if at all you are a practicing doctor.

Make your opinion known and next time you attach your discipline to unprofessional comments,I will....... grin

4 Likes

Re: Nestlé Responds To Golden Morn Discussion by helixmanager: 10:48am On Oct 23, 2012
Labelle:

@Obasijoy,

You are 100% correct on this, I have been scrolling through comments to see if some some folks would figure this out.

HAHHAA, kudos, You are very well on point.

Sales drop in Cerelac and Nutried may have sparked the sudden 'precautionary insert'. They have basically become premium/luxury infant lines as the prices are not pocket friendly.

At my age i still eat all 3 (Cerelac, Nutriend and GoldenMorn) and I can tell you that Nutriend and Goldenmorn are basically the SAME, flake for flake!

Cerelac on the other hand is loaded with milk and sugar, hence more tasty and lovely for my tummy. smiley

You may be right but professionally you need to respect the submission of the manufacturer.

Economy vs Health implication MAY not be the way to go (Just my opinion because Golden Morn is regarded as ALL FAMILY CEREALS and not INFANT CEREALS Scientifically,one need to understand effects of micro nutrients,RDA of infants.....)

Competition has also been a factor on low sales of Nutrend and cerelac especially with the introduction of premium brand FRISO GOLD CEREALS(formerly FRISOCREAM)which is smoother,irresistible by infants and highly nutritious.

Permit me to say that Growth can either be qualitative or quantitative.Quantitative interms of height and weight.Qualitative w.r.t maturation of internal organs.So its not enough to say my baby looks healthy while you stress the digestive system or increasing the RSL(Renal Solute Load).

2 Likes

Re: Nestlé Responds To Golden Morn Discussion by Peterwins(m): 1:24pm On Oct 23, 2012
This is not a smear campaign against Nestle. In fact Food and drug companies globally usually go through these issues because of new scientific discoveries that makes some of their products unsuitable for further consumption or use. Hence the need for modification or total withdrawal of the product from the market depending on the seriousness of the country's food and drug regulators.

We should remember that sometime ago NAFDAC stopped bakeries from using potassium bromate and saccharine in bread production. Bakers started placing on their respective bread labels - BROMATE AND SACCHARINE FREE. Before this regulation came, how many Nigerians have been eating bread containing bromate and saccharine!!!

PFIZER (the multi-national drug manufacturer) almost got away from paying compensation to Nigerian ( about 200 or more children) victims after it administered its drug (TROVAFLOXACIN). Some of these children died in the "experiment" while others developed mental and physical deformities. Guess what? Pfizer denied these claims and even tried to blackmail some of our government officials over this issue.

Nestle should do the needful and stop being economical with the truth. It is how these issues are handled that really matters. Some of these "mistakes" are a result of professional negligence and the lacklustre stance of some of the regulators in Nigeria. Imagine if this issue happened in the USA. The FDA won't take it lightly.

Who knows? This matter may not end here.
Re: Nestlé Responds To Golden Morn Discussion by Seun(m): 8:14pm On Oct 23, 2012
In our efforts to improve the information we provide on our packaging, we have decided to change the statement in June 2012,
which coincided with a packaging and recipe change we have done on Nestlé Golden Morn to make your favorite cereal more nutritious and delicious.

And we are delighted to inform you that Nestlé Golden Morn is now fortified with iron and vitamin A .

Nestlé would like to assure you that Golden Morn is a nutritious cereal that is absolutely good to consume by adults and children as part of a varied diet and is produced from best quality Maize and Soya grains however it’s not developed for infants because it’s not an infant nor weaning cereal.

Be rest assured that the primary concern of Nestlé is to provide their valued consumers with the best quality , nutritious and delicious food.

For further enquiry please contact our Consumer Services line on 01-7940425
Re: Nestlé Responds To Golden Morn Discussion by Emary(f): 9:13pm On Oct 23, 2012
helixmanager:

I am surprised shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Anyway,being a doctor doesn't make you a Dieticians or Nutritionist.I recommend you widen your scope on Pediatric Nutrition.

I am also aware Nestle has delegates that provide information about their brands in the HCF,ask them if at all you are a practicing doctor.

Make your opinion known and next time you attach your discipline to unprofessional comments,I will....... grin

It is a pity that some people on this forum lack basic manners when it comes to addressing others. I will take your insults with a pinch of salt since your use of language shows that you are not worth my time.

I maintain that my personal experience and that of so many women in Nigeria with Golden morn shows that it is a nutritious meal for kiddies who can tolerate it. The contents are maize, sugar and soya, all staple ingredients in our day diet in Nigeria. All the other ingredients listed on the pack are routine supplements. Traditionally, we give infants the same ingredients as pap, a staple food for women of lower socio-economic groups in Nigeria. Even if you visit the doctor with your child today and he or she is refusing meals or not thriving, pap is usually recommended and can be mixed with other foods such as blended groundnuts or crayfish to boost their nutrition. If it is good enough for that, there is no reason a child would not tolerate the same ingredients in Golden morn. The only thing is that it is not processed in the same way infant foods are. So, as I said previously, if your child tolerates it well, there is really no problem with it. The only trace ingredient that may be harmful there is Gluten, a naturally occurring substance found in most cereals and grains. Some people are intolerant and will develop celiac disease over time but it is uncommon in our environment.

Please feel free to google the same information for yourselves. It is readily available on the internet.

1 Like

Re: Nestlé Responds To Golden Morn Discussion by helixmanager: 10:08pm On Oct 23, 2012
Emary:

It is a pity that some people on this forum lack basic manners when it comes to addressing others. I will take your insults with a pinch of salt since your use of language shows that you are not worth my time.

I maintain that my personal experience and that of so many women in Nigeria with Golden morn shows that it is a nutritious meal for kiddies who can tolerate it. The contents are maize, sugar and soya, all staple ingredients in our day diet in Nigeria. All the other ingredients listed on the pack are routine supplements. Traditionally, we give infants the same ingredients as pap, a staple food for women of lower socio-economic groups in Nigeria. Even if you visit the doctor with your child today and he or she is refusing meals or not thriving, pap is usually recommended and can be mixed with other foods such as blended groundnuts or crayfish to boost their nutrition. If it is good enough for that, there is no reason a child would not tolerate the same ingredients in Golden morn. The only thing is that it is not processed in the same way infant foods are. So, as I said previously, if your child tolerates it well, there is really no problem with it. The only trace ingredient that may be harmful there is Gluten, a naturally occurring substance found in most cereals and grains. Some people are intolerant and will develop celiac disease over time but it is uncommon in our environment.

Please feel free to google the same information for yourselves. It is readily available on the internet.

I was actually mild with my response but if you feel insulted,I am very sorry.

I would have ignored your post but when you said your sister took goldmorn from 4months and try to encourage that,I decided to react because of the audience.Even infant cereals are encouraged to start from 6 months after exclusive breast feeding for at least the first 6months from birth not to talk of feeding an infant Golden Morn from 4months.

Again you displayed lack of professionalism which is my worry here because thousands of mothers are on this forum and they deserve 100% quality information.Infant is a sensitive word my dear if truly you know your onions in the medical world.

let me react to the important points you raised.

1. Your personal experience cannot form a general conclusion because of variation and how many mothers did you study?where did you carry out the research and under what condition?

2.Is it all infant that tolerate Soya?Is the protein and other nutrients requirement in infants same as those above 3years?

3.According to the manufacturer,(check Seun's last post)its not suitable for infants and you still insist shocked shocked shocked Is that what you learn in medical school?

4.Make more research on gluten and infant nutrition

From today,I name you google doctor.

4 Likes

Re: Nestlé Responds To Golden Morn Discussion by Emary(f): 9:43am On Oct 24, 2012
Your definition of mild is very funny but again it only shows the kind of person you are.

1. I never said that mothers should wean at 4months. My sister's situation was unique because we had a full-time working mother and like some children, by 4 months, she was no longer satisfied with only the breast milk my mother produced.

2. Your answer about gluten and infants - http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/raisingaglutenfreechild/a/Breastfeeding.htm

3. R.D.A.s are guidelines. Even the iron content that is supposedly high for infants does not take into consideration that we live in a malaria and hookworm endemic environment.

4. Thank you so much for giving me a idea for a new study.

Please Mothers, when introducing new food to your infants, vary the diet. I will from hereon defer to the Mr. Know-it-all on this thread.

2 Likes

Re: Nestlé Responds To Golden Morn Discussion by helixmanager: 12:35pm On Oct 24, 2012
Emary: Your definition of mild is very funny but again it only shows the kind of person you are.

1. I never said that mothers should wean at 4months. My sister's situation was unique because we had a full-time working mother and like some children, by 4 months, she was no longer satisfied with only the breast milk my mother produced.

2. Your answer about gluten and infants - http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/raisingaglutenfreechild/a/Breastfeeding.htm

3. R.D.A.s are guidelines. Even the iron content that is supposedly high for infants does not take into consideration that we live in a malaria and hookworm endemic environment.

4. Thank you so much for giving me a idea for a new study.

Please Mothers, when introducing new food to your infants, vary the diet. I will from hereon defer to the Mr. Know-it-all on this thread.

My dear,the ocean of knowledge is deep and wide.I doubt if I know a pin drop but my point is that we need continuous improvement,share and learn from each other and provide quality information.

If you have a unique case where breast milk no longer suffice,you can supplement with infant formula(Pure modified milk) and not cereals.

Manufacturers state that Infant cereals should start from 6 months in line with regulation.

I am aware that some mothers start weaning from 4 months but this should be with the pass of the pediatrician/Dietician.

GOLDEN MORN IS NOT EVEN IN THIS SCOPE!!!

I hope this is not Mary I taught in Adams Adebobola Integral Tutorial Centre?graduated from LUTH?
Re: Nestlé Responds To Golden Morn Discussion by pricegatemedia: 1:03pm On Oct 24, 2012
I'm really upset with the incompetencies of and irresponsibility of our health system. Why is NAFDAC slow to make a statement? Dont they know silence means consent. My son started taking Golden Morn since 12months and he is 18months now. I really think Nestle deliberately feined ignorance to the abuse of parents like me who started weaning with Golden Morn. Would they say they didnt know of the ignorant abuse before now? All we want is for them to tell us why its not suitable and the probable effect of this abuse. PERIOD .... and of course with an apology for their irresponsibilty. After all cigerate manufactures warn that 'smokers are liable to die young'
Re: Nestlé Responds To Golden Morn Discussion by claycares: 9:43am On Dec 21, 2012
A country where the government leaves every citizen at the mercy of enterprises. Even innocent, fragile infants who cannot read these almost hidden terms are left at the mercy of business enterprising. This is carelessness of regulatory agencies. You can't put a poisonous food in the market and put the blame on parents who didn't read the caution on the label of the product. The English courts have always frowned at small text terms and conditions. I don't know about Nigerian courts. All things being equal, Nestle may be negligent in the manner it went about the new precaution.
Re: Nestlé Responds To Golden Morn Discussion by ebukaezeh(m): 10:45am On Feb 10, 2013
Can sum1 gain weight by eating/
drinking golden morn as
breakfast, as a teenager?
Re: Nestlé Responds To Golden Morn Discussion by sparkleRed(f): 6:57pm On Apr 14, 2013
nestle thanks 4 d info..buh hpe Milo is still cool no sleepin drugs in it? Cos I notice anytym I take milo I sleep off embarassed

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Long Cobra Killed At Our Backyard This Morning After Eating 6 Chicken Eggs / Russians Eating Egusi Soup And Eba For The First Time / As There Is No Meat In The Market, We Saw An Alternative

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.