Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,804 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:37 AM

Why Are Eastern States So Backward And Underdeveloped - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are Eastern States So Backward And Underdeveloped (9387 Views)

Images: Three Most Backward And Poorly Governed Nigerian States / Fayose's Victory: A Thousand Steps Backward And a Very Sad Day For All Nigerians / Nigeria: Developed, Developing, Or Underdeveloped Country? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Eastern States So Backward And Underdeveloped by Tenderly1(f): 3:44pm On Oct 22, 2012
I've noticed that most eastern states are backward,and they claim that there are improvment. Could the problem be spiritual undecidedor lack of góod governaceplease drop useful comment.

PS :abeg una i no be yoruba ooo

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Eastern States So Backward And Underdeveloped by bashr8: 4:03pm On Oct 22, 2012
Tenderly1: I've noticed that most eastern states are backward,and they claim that there are improvment. Could the problem be spiritual undecidedor lack of góod governaceplease drop useful comment.

why not tell us your state of origin so that we can compare it with the eastern states or point out the states doing better than eastern states .

43 Likes

Re: Why Are Eastern States So Backward And Underdeveloped by yarodin: 4:06pm On Oct 22, 2012
bashr8: why not tell us your state of origin so that we can compare it with the eastern states or point out the states doing better than eastern states .

LOL,they are all from Lagos abi u want the guy to say Ekiti?

42 Likes

Re: Why Are Eastern States So Backward And Underdeveloped by Tenderly1(f): 4:21pm On Oct 22, 2012
yarodin:

LOL,they are all from Lagos abi u want the guy to say Ekiti?
bros abeg am a girl,and am NOT YORUBA

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Eastern States So Backward And Underdeveloped by Ikengawo: 4:30pm On Oct 22, 2012
Outside of Abuja, and Lagos, i can't think of a state with a better standard of living than eastern states.
People aren't fabulously rich, or abject poor. Most people, which is natural to the igbo way, are towards the middle, but many are towards the bottom of the middle. You wont find Dangotes and giant buildings, but you won't find beggars, homeless, or destitution.

Otherwise you can't look at Enugu, Imo, Calabar, and Rivers and say you're looking at a 'poorer' region of nigeria. We have our Aba and Onitcha which look atrocious, but their still more productive than any city in nigeria their size by far and large. We Igbos want our states to be better, but we're not going to pretend as if we're living in Ekiti, Kogi, Oyo and the rest because these places still house villages of people that can't speak english and live in thatch and mud dwellings. Though the east doesn't have a Lagos, it has, as a whole, surpassed this level of primitive development which no other region in nigeria as a whole can say it has done.

57 Likes

Re: Why Are Eastern States So Backward And Underdeveloped by DeLaRue: 4:40pm On Oct 22, 2012
Ibos are the greateeeeeeeeest in the whole wide world!

Lest I forget, they are also INDUSTRIOUS, HARD-WORKING, and VERY HONEST people.

Up Ibos!!

Ikengawo: Outside of Abuja, and Lagos, i can't think of a state with a better standard of living than eastern states.
People aren't fabulously rich, or abject poor. Most people, which is natural to the igbo way, are towards the middle, but many are towards the bottom of the middle. You wont find Dangotes and giant buildings, but you won't find beggars, homeless, or destitution.

Otherwise you can't look at Enugu, Imo, Calabar, and Rivers and say you're looking at a 'poorer' region of nigeria. We have our Aba and Onitcha which look atrocious, but their still more productive than any city in nigeria their size by far and large. We Igbos want our states to be better, but we're not going to pretend as if we're living in Ekiti, Kogi, Oyo and the rest because these places still house villages of people that can't speak english and live in thatch and mud dwellings. Though the east doesn't have a Lagos, it has, as a whole, surpassed this level of primitive development which no other region in nigeria as a whole can say it has done.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Eastern States So Backward And Underdeveloped by Tenderly1(f): 4:47pm On Oct 22, 2012
DeLaRue: Ibos are the greateeeeeeeeest in the whole wide world!

Up Ibos!!

Did you say very honest?

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Eastern States So Backward And Underdeveloped by Tenderly1(f): 4:54pm On Oct 22, 2012
DeLaRue: Ibos are the greateeeeeeeeest in the whole wide world!

Up Ibos!!

Re: Why Are Eastern States So Backward And Underdeveloped by DeLaRue: 4:56pm On Oct 22, 2012
ofcourse. ever heard of an Ibo man go to China and India to knowingly import sub-standard, and even fatal drugs (medication). Never!

If you cant trust an Ibo man, who else can you trust! The whole world knows this, except the Yorubas who keep spreading false information about Ibos. With the help of Israel (from whence Ibos descend), Ibos will overcome!!

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Eastern States So Backward And Underdeveloped by redsun(m): 4:59pm On Oct 22, 2012
This is eleke,but at this same time it is an issue.I think the igbos believe very much in nigeria as a nation that is why they dont look back in investing in key places like lagos,abuja and co,because they dont see an end to the union.

And for the fact that east is part of nigeria where development on the side of government is non existence,the ibgos just tend to make their monies individually,build their homes,buy their generators,buy their SUVs or whatever that can afford to navigate the trenches called roads in nigeria,visit their villages when necessary,with total disregard of whether the government exist or not.

That is the typical spirit of society in nigeria,societies without governments,without orders and without policies formations and implementations.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Eastern States So Backward And Underdeveloped by Coolval222(m): 5:04pm On Oct 22, 2012
Tenderly1: I've noticed that most eastern states are backward,and they claim that there are improvment. Could the problem be spiritual undecidedor lack of góod governaceplease drop useful comment.

honestly i dont think igbo states are that backward......

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Eastern States So Backward And Underdeveloped by DeLaRue: 5:07pm On Oct 22, 2012
Dont mind them.

These people dont know that Ibos have single handedly built their region (without any Federal assistance), and have taken on the burden of also developing other regions too, particularly Lagos, Abuja, Portiskum, Igbokoda, Ogbomosho, Jalingo, Abuja, Sokoto, Auchi etc.

Yorubas in particular should be thankful.

Mighty Ibos!

13 Likes

Re: Why Are Eastern States So Backward And Underdeveloped by 9javoice1(m): 1:15pm On Oct 23, 2012
This yorubas, are you guys not tired of abusing igbos?
Igbo this igbo that every passing day.
You guys might get yourself suffocated just because of your hatred of ibos.

Before i forget, this will make the home page, moderator what i you waiting for.
When i say that it is difficult to see a detribalisd yoruba , many think am crazy but as day passes by they all prove me right .

Study nairaland moderators very close you find out most of them are trubalists yo the core. Example

When a yoruba man kills or steals of do scam, it will be hard for that post to get to front page. Or anything that put yorubas in a bad light.
But as soon as it is igbo wooooooo , front page one hand. Tell me how and where to get a sinciar yoruba.

13 Likes

Re: Why Are Eastern States So Backward And Underdeveloped by laudate: 9:47pm On Jun 30, 2014
DeLaRue: ofcourse. ever heard of an Ibo man go to China and India to knowingly import sub-standard, and even fatal drugs (medication). Never!

If you cant trust an Ibo man, who else can you trust! The whole world knows this, except the Yorubas who keep spreading false information about Ibos. With the help of Israel (from whence Ibos descend), Ibos will overcome!!

I am laughing in ..... Greek! cheesy

You just said .."If you can't trust an Ibo man, who can you trust" .... really Are you serious about this?

Here was I, thinking that the good, bad & ugly exist in every tribe & every district.

Abeg, make I siddon look. I think it explains why there are no law courts in the South-East. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Eastern States So Backward And Underdeveloped by ikweremilitant: 10:39pm On Jun 30, 2014
Tenderly1: bros abeg am a girl,and am NOT YORUBA
you are a girl nd obviously frm somalia or chad were dy cant difrentiate btwn developement frm undr development

1 Like

Re: Why Are Eastern States So Backward And Underdeveloped by ikweremilitant: 10:45pm On Jun 30, 2014
Tenderly1: Did you say very honest?
sory my dear if ibo land is undr developd,wit ur lay womans myopic undarstandng ibadan wit all its red mud houses nd trade mark brown roofs re a fist world country abi?dat means ure uncle acted the gods must be crazy nd infact na ur vilage dm shoot d film.ode buruku

14 Likes

Re: Why Are Eastern States So Backward And Underdeveloped by Nobody: 3:02am On Jul 01, 2014
Ikengawo: Outside of Abuja, and Lagos, i can't think of a state with a better standard of living than eastern states.

http://nigerianewsdigest.com/anambra-battles-to-free-streets-of-beggars/

Beggars have invaded Onitsha, Nnewi, Ekwulobia, Umunze, Nkpor, Ihiala and Awka, among other towns in Anambra State, turning themselves into a problem. ODOGWU EMEKA ODOGWU reports that the Ministry of Women Affairs and Social Development is taking steps to curb the menace.

Like bees, beggars have swarmed cities in Anambra State, including Awka, the capital. The streets are congested with these beggars said to be numbering over 10, 000.

They comprise corporate beggars, child beggars graduate beggars, civil servant beggars, business beggars, lepers, cripples and paupers who beg for living on the streets. They position themselves in public places where sympathisers will see them and give them money or food.

Some of the major cities where they are found are Onitsha, Nnewi, Ekwulobia, Awka, Umunze, Nkpor and Ihiala, among others. All efforts by the Ministry of Women Affairs and Social Development have yet to yield results. They return as soon as they are taken to the rehabilitation camps. But the ministry is not resting on its oars. It has again, raided their lucrative points in its determination to end what it calls “a public nuisance.”

The ministry says the beggars are dirty and do not know how to behave. It notes that their behaviour was not good for tourism, thereby causing a fall in government revenue. The clearing of the beggars, the ministry said, was intended to make them realise that begging lowers their dignity. A major reason for the action, it said, was to make them useful to themselves and the society by rehabilitating them.

The presence of beggars in any society has social and economic implications as depicted in Aminata Sow Fall’s epic novel, Beggars’ Strike.

Penultimate week, Rose Ali, a graduate of Linguistics and a civil servant with the Anambra State Ministry of Environment were among the 180 beggars taken off the streets.

Rose, who is from Nimo in Njikoka Local Government Area of the state
, was dramatic while being arrested. She is visually impaired. She insisted on seeing Governor Peter Obi before she could be stopped from her begging business.

She said: “I will not go anywhere. You arrested me last year and dumped me at Nteje without giving me anything. Let Governor Peter Obi come himself so that we can talk. I am not a regular beggar but I beg when I run short of money. My sister died and I am begging to raise money for her burial.”

Another beggar, Loveday Okonkwo from Imo State said he was begging in order to raise N50,000 needed for registering at the Disabled Craft Centre in Ikeja, Lagos, even as he admitted that begging is illegal.

He appealed to Imo State Governor Rochas Okorocha to come to his aid as he has no person to run to hence he sneaked out from Imo to beg in Anambra where he is not known.

But other beggars including Habiba Adamu from Kaduna State begged for forgiveness and indicated interest to go back to their homes if spared of being taken to the Nteje Rehabilitation Camp.

On her part, Mrs Nkechinyere Okeke who works for the Anambra State Waste Management Agency (ASWAMA), an arm of Anambra State Ministry of Environment uses her daughter Ginika Okeke for begging. She claimed she was begging to raise N80, 000 with which to treat her child.

Over 150 parents who use their children for begging in major cities in the state were arrested and would be prosecuted by the Family Court. Over 50 children used by their parents for begging were also arrested while others escaped.

The ministry pledged that the over 185 beggars and destitute taken off the major cities of the state would undergo rehabilitation and empowerment while those who are not from Anambra State would be repatriated in agreement with their state governments.

Of late, a combined team of social workers and security agents led by the Ministry of Women Affairs arrested no fewer than 200 beggars in the state capital.

That day, beggars who “were” blind, deaf and dumb saw, heard and spoke while running for their dear lives. At Abagana, a blind woman with her guide was arrested. But while members of the vigilance group were still making arrangements on how to take her home, the woman and her guide ran away to the chagrin of onlookers.

At Amawbia, a 70-year-old man from Nise [/b]who allegedly built a good house and trained his children up to university level with proceeds from begging was arrested. He said he would continue the business of begging till death.

At UNIZIK Junction and Eke Awka axes, beggars ran as far as their legs could carry them. Two well dressed young men in their mid-twenties with cell phones held a laminated picture of a called Chizoba from Nsukka who was said to be suffering from stomach cancer.

They wondered why anybody should arrest them when they were doing a legitimate business registered with the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC).

According to them, the least amount of money they make a day is N11, 000.

But 16-year-old Useni Mohammed from Niger Republic said his father who is a driver at Onitsha gives him instruction on how much he must make from begging daily. He and his sister are known as “Emeka and Amaka.”

[b]Another beggar Mr Joseph Eze from Achi, Enugu State
said he was a Yola-based businessman before he had an accident that forced him into begging. He appealed Anambra State government to give him N300, 000 with which to start business.

The Director, Social Welfare Ministry of Women Affairs and Social Development, Mrs Rose Udeagbara said the beggars were taken off the streets during an operation tagged “clear the streets of beggars and destitute.” She added that they have been sent to the vocational and rehabilitation centre at Nteje.

Mrs Udeagbara further said: “At the vocational centre, the social workers did documentation of those arrested to enable the ministry to either rehabilitate them in any of the skill acquisition centres or repatriate and reunite them with their families.”

She disclosed that majority of the beggars were not from Anambra State, stating that some are from Jigawa, Kano, Kaduna, Yobe, Plateau and other northern states while others are from Cross River, Abia, Rivers, Imo, Ebonyi and Enugu states. Lady Udeagbara decried rampant use of children by their parents in begging.

The Commissioner for Women Affairs and Social Development, Lady Henrietta Azuka Agbata aised parents to desist from using their children as money-making venture.

Agbata said: “It is not right to use a child for begging and whenever we get such case, we get at those parents through their children and charge them to state family court. I see such parents as lazy. Let us stop abusing these children by trampling on their rights. Let us strive to send them to school, so that they will be beneficial to us and the society.”

She noted that the campaign to get beggars off the streets was informed by commitment of Obi’s administration to sanitise the state and empower some of them who took to begging out of frustration as well as to ensure free flow of traffic on our roads. She added that the sick ones among them will be given free Medicare.

Agbata insisted that families should take care of physically-challenged members of their families to avoid the nauseating situation which beggars and begging engender.

“You can see that these beggars constitute nuisance. We will repatriate those who are not indigenous to Anambra State and rehabilitate those from the state by empowering them with skills within six months,” she said.

At the rehabilitation camp, Lady Udeagbara was angry with one Mrs. Nkechinyere Okeke who uses her daughter, Ginika Okeke to beg.

She said: “This woman was taken off the street in Awka last year. We rehabilitated her and, out of the magnanimity of the state government, she was employed as a staff of Anambra State Waste Management Agency (ASWAMA) in the Ministry of Environment to help her train her child. Being stubborn, she is still begging with that child.”

Principal of the VocationalRehabilitation Centre, Nteje, Mrs. Chinyere Iguomu said the centre accommodates the beggars for some days before letting them go.

“We only allow them to stay here for a day or two before discharging them. Although, it is not enough to acquire the needed skill, government is not forthcoming in terms of their upkeep. We have written many memos to that effect but there were no responses from the government,” she said.

However, the Commissioner dismissed the allegations as unfounded.

The raid on beggars has received commendation from residents. Mr Onyenwe Anagor said “what Governor Obi-led administration is doing with regard to clearing beggars from the streets is good because they constitute nuisance.” He, however, appealed to government to rehabilitate them.

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Eastern States So Backward And Underdeveloped by Nobody: 3:10am On Jul 01, 2014

A clear evidence of the lack of compassion and concern for Nigerians by the current political leaders is the pathetic state of the disabled former Biafran soldiers. Neither the South Eastern states nor the federal government have done anything to help these very helpless Nigerians. As a result, they have to beg for alms at the Oji River junction of the Onitsha -Enugu road. A media spokesperson for the Enugu state government stated flatly that only the federal government is responsible for taking care of the disabled veterans and not the states

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Eastern States So Backward And Underdeveloped by Nobody: 3:21am On Jul 01, 2014

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/150549-8000-job-seekers-besiege-unth-enugu-10-openings.html

8,000 job seekers besiege UNTH Enugu for 10 openings

At least 8,000 job seekers stormed the University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital to interview for the position of administrative officers, on Thursday.
The applicants responded to the university’s local advertisement for Administrative Officer II. At least, 5,000, were shortlisted for the interview. The position the job seekers interviewed for – Administrative Officer II – is one of over thirty categories of workers the university advertised recently.
Although the university did not indicate the number of administrative officer vacancies it hopes to employ, a staff of the university told PREMIUM TIMES not more than 10 applicants will be employed in each category through the process.
The employment drive began earlier this week. The previous day, about the same number of jobseekers besieged the school to be interviewed for positions in paramedics and few auxiliary jobs.
The job seekers, mostly young graduates, overwhelmed the school’s facilities. Many waited under the sun for hours to be interviewed. Others sat on bricks for an opportunity to be interviewed.

Enugu, formerly the administrative capital of south east Nigeria, is the largest city in the zone. it has at least six tertiary institutions but also one of the highest unemployment and crime rate in Nigeria. Nigeria Bureau of Statistics says at least 28 per cent of employable residents of the state are unemployed; a figure many say is grossly underestimated.
Enugu’s unemployment rate is more than 100 percent higher than the 12 percent recorded in neighbouring Anambra state.
In August this year, at least 6,251 job seekers applied for 400 vacancies at the Universal Basic Education Enugu, with an expected monthly salary of N18, 000.00.
The job rush at UNTH exemplifies the scorching job shortage in Nigeria. From a record low of 5.3 per cent in 2006, the Nigeria Bureau of Statistics admits it has worsened by 400.5 percent to 24 percent at the end of 2011.
The World Bank estimates that Nigeria’s youth unemployment is high up at 38 percent. Many Nigerians argue World Bank and government estimates are conservative.
“In a family of five kids, you will hardly find more than two employed,” Chinasa Ugwu, one of the applicants, who sought to be an Environmental Officer II, said. Interviewing for her category was cancelled by the university.

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Eastern States So Backward And Underdeveloped by Nobody: 6:05am On Jul 01, 2014
Nonsense...op is just saying that to get some attention. Even hausas know east is the most developed region

Drama queen

Below is a pix from ebonyi, the least developed state in the east, now compare from dere

Re: Why Are Eastern States So Backward And Underdeveloped by Nobody: 6:11am On Jul 01, 2014
Op is a tribalist and am going to make this thread hot for her, I will disgrace the entire yoruba race here, ofcourse we know she's yoruba.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Eastern States So Backward And Underdeveloped by Nobody: 6:15am On Jul 01, 2014
liberty300: Nonsense...op is just saying that to get some attention. Even hausas know east is the most developed region

Drama queen

Below is a pix from ebonyi, the least developed state in the east, now compare from dere
don't worry, they will hear it, I kept my PC in the office, I have a picture folder for people like this stewpid op.

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Eastern States So Backward And Underdeveloped by ojimbo(m): 6:37am On Jul 01, 2014
and so what, i should slot in my dick at every hole that come accros me?

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Eastern States So Backward And Underdeveloped by meforyou1(m): 6:49am On Jul 01, 2014
Op, which state are you from?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Eastern States So Backward And Underdeveloped by Nobody: 7:15am On Jul 01, 2014

ur prognosis gets even worse? So u are from Yobe state and u have the nerves to........

1 Like

Re: Why Are Eastern States So Backward And Underdeveloped by Nobody: 7:30am On Jul 01, 2014
Evergreen123:

ur prognosis gets even worse? So u are from Yobe state and u have the nerves to........
the problem is even that western nigeria is a waste bin, even most part of the so called lagos is a shame to development, only few places in lagos and worth commending not to talk of other places in Southwest.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Eastern States So Backward And Underdeveloped by Freewilly(f): 7:33am On Jul 01, 2014
Evergreen123:

I think you just insulted the good people of Yobe state. The op is a pure offemmanu tiger clawed face attention seeking .................

8 Likes

Re: Why Are Eastern States So Backward And Underdeveloped by Nobody: 7:39am On Jul 01, 2014

Your a big fool, no doubt!! ¤ ¤

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Eastern States So Backward And Underdeveloped by Nobody: 7:41am On Jul 01, 2014
Evergreen123:

She's from Yobe.st?? That shithole?? undecided ¤ ¤

1 Like

Re: Why Are Eastern States So Backward And Underdeveloped by Nobody: 7:42am On Jul 01, 2014
@ Aigbofa, ur definition of employment is far different from that of an Igbo man.
'O'YES workers in osun believe they are employed at the salary of 10k per month, and these are supposedly graduate and SSCE holders, However, a graduate in the east may be unemployed by an institution but can earn more than 60k from entrepreneurship, and he still sees himself as unemployed. .
U have to understand that we are not on the same level with u ppl,
u saw articles showing turnover at an interview and u thought they might have been living in squalour.
My dad was maintaining his family ranging from feeding to univ education, lived in a 3bedroom flat,had two cars but he was still unsatisfied and went for an interview in another institution, does that mean he was destitute before?
Meanwhile Oyes grduates living on 10k are forever grateful and consider themselves employed .

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Eastern States So Backward And Underdeveloped by Nobody: 7:43am On Jul 01, 2014
Freewilly:

I think you just insulted the good people of Yobe state. The op is a pure offemmanu tiger clawed face attention seeking .................

I know

1 Like

Re: Why Are Eastern States So Backward And Underdeveloped by Nobody: 7:46am On Jul 01, 2014
Evergreen123: @ Aigbofa, ur definition of employment is far different from that of an Igbo man.
'O'YES workers in osun believe they are employed at the salary of 10k per month, and these are supposedly graduate and SSCE holders, However, a graduate in the east may be unemployed by an institution but can earn more than 60k from entrepreneurship, and he still sees himself as unemployed. .
U have to understand that we are not on the same level with u ppl,
u saw articles showing turnover at an interview and u thought they might have been living in squalour.
My dad was maintaining his family ranging from feeding to univ education, lived in a 3bedroom flat,had two cars but he was still unsatisfied and went for an interview in another institution, does that mean he was destitute before?
Meanwhile Oyes grduates living on 10k are forever grateful and consider themselves employed .
I don't knw why you keep arguing with this people, I will show them what they are calling developed southwest. Its currently raining in lagos, after raining you won't see where to put your legs, even in their so called ikeja.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Over 30 FEDECO Ballot Boxes Intercepted In Delta State / Another ‘ojukwu’ Will Go To War If You Touch Ihejirika – Ohanaeze Warns / National Power Grid Collapsed 3 Times In First 20days Of January - Investigation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.