Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,350 members, 7,822,662 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:40 PM

Nigeria: Developed, Developing, Or Underdeveloped Country? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria: Developed, Developing, Or Underdeveloped Country? (47774 Views)

Poll: Nigeria is:

A developed country: 8% (3 votes)
A developing country: 47% (17 votes)
An under-developed country: 44% (16 votes)
This poll has ended

Why Nigeria Is Underdeveloped. / Reasons Why Nigeria Remains Underdeveloped / Reasons Why Our Society Is Underdeveloped (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria: Developed, Developing, Or Underdeveloped Country? by Guk: 9:37pm On Aug 25, 2007
Arguments have been raised on whether Nigeria is a Developed; Developing or Underdeveloped Country? Going by this quote, i agree that Nigeria is an UNDERDEVELOPED country. What do you think?

"The underdevelopment of the third world is marked by a number of common traits; distorted and highly dependent economies devoted to producing primary products for the developed world and to provide markets for their finished goods; traditional, rural social structures; high population growth; and widespread poverty."
Re: Nigeria: Developed, Developing, Or Underdeveloped Country? by BABEELOVE(f): 6:53am On Aug 26, 2007
Retro-developing!!!!! angry
Re: Nigeria: Developed, Developing, Or Underdeveloped Country? by swing4real(m): 7:54am On Aug 26, 2007
Nigeria is a developed Country
Re: Nigeria: Developed, Developing, Or Underdeveloped Country? by Tats(m): 11:47pm On Sep 11, 2007
swing4real:

For real?
Re: Nigeria: Developed, Developing, Or Underdeveloped Country? by egin(m): 1:41am On Sep 12, 2007
swing4real:

I cannot agree more with you when you consider the level of corruption in the country,(which is outright stealing of public funds), lack of basic infrastructure such as portable water, electricity, good roads- see pictures attached, poor healthcare, lack of good schools (at all levels) A country where employment is not guaranteed no matter your discipline and level of education.--------the list goes on and on.

Re: Nigeria: Developed, Developing, Or Underdeveloped Country? by henry007(m): 1:46am On Sep 12, 2007
i wish naija was one of the 3 but honestly,the words r not rite .
Re: Nigeria: Developed, Developing, Or Underdeveloped Country? by ssRhino: 2:45am On Sep 12, 2007
Developing compared to some other nations
Re: Nigeria: Developed, Developing, Or Underdeveloped Country? by henry007(m): 2:51am On Sep 12, 2007
i'm sure we r speakin on a world scale here and its under-developed
Re: Nigeria: Developed, Developing, Or Underdeveloped Country? by ssRhino: 2:52am On Sep 12, 2007
i beg my nation is developing jare
Re: Nigeria: Developed, Developing, Or Underdeveloped Country? by henry007(m): 2:57am On Sep 12, 2007
i think u luv 2 wyn urself alot
Re: Nigeria: Developed, Developing, Or Underdeveloped Country? by ssRhino: 2:59am On Sep 12, 2007
shhhhhhh, monkey no fine, but him mama like am.
Nigeria is sick and we all know that, but e go better
Re: Nigeria: Developed, Developing, Or Underdeveloped Country? by henry007(m): 3:08am On Sep 12, 2007
no be 'e don beta' so lets put our home in its rightful place wat do'u think?
Re: Nigeria: Developed, Developing, Or Underdeveloped Country? by mazaje(m): 9:36am On Sep 12, 2007
Nigeria is far from developed but with decipline,commitment and doggedness we will get there some day.
Re: Nigeria: Developed, Developing, Or Underdeveloped Country? by chidichris(m): 12:08pm On Sep 13, 2007
we will get there someday and i like that but the big question will be; when?
while we search for the answer, i am saying under-developed is an understatement.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Developed, Developing, Or Underdeveloped Country? by KnowAll(m): 12:17pm On Sep 13, 2007
i think the people are as developed as you get anywhere in the world bu i am afraid the country is under-devloped.
Re: Nigeria: Developed, Developing, Or Underdeveloped Country? by tkb417(m): 2:56pm On Sep 16, 2007
Nigeria isnt developed but developing. Interest rates now single digit. Bravo
Dont ask me how will that put food on the table. Ask OBJ, soory Yaradua
Re: Nigeria: Developed, Developing, Or Underdeveloped Country? by ph4life(m): 1:23am On Sep 18, 2007
DETERORIATING country!!!!
Re: Nigeria: Developed, Developing, Or Underdeveloped Country? by denex: 11:58am On Sep 18, 2007
Depending on which area you dey.
Re: Nigeria: Developed, Developing, Or Underdeveloped Country? by magneto(m): 1:55pm On Sep 18, 2007
chidichris:

we will get there someday and i like that but the big question will be; when?
while we search for the answer, i am saying under-developed is an understatement.

i just hate it when people ask questions like this! angry it only shows cowardice on your part. have some hope brother. . . matter of fact, YOU are Nigeria's hope! instead of asking when?. . . you should be asking, how? only with that kind of mentality can we achieve the Nigerian Dream!

i remember a time back in the university when we were watching a foreign movie in the hostel common room, and there was a scene showing these curving, winding, and beautifully constructed road network. then someone made a comment that went something like "when will Nigerian roads ever be like this?", and generated small laughter and the usual government bashing.
i had to point out to the guy that, that was the reason he was in the university and not in his fathers farm or selling goods in some shop somewhere. HE was supposed to be the man that makes it happen!! when i said that, he suddenly went quiet and introspective (everybody else too grin) it obviously had never occured to him to reason like that before. it felt really disappointing that someone whos supposed to be an undergraduate (the FUTURE creme de la creme of Nigerian society) couldn't even realise his potential as an instrument for development and positive change in his country.
its a pity what poverty mentality has done to our collective intellect in this country. imagine how many other Nigerian students think like that unfortunate chap!! the only thing on most peoples mind is survival. . .
i know that the present situation of things in the country paints a gloomy picture (only a fool will ignore that!) but dammit, wake up and smell the roses!!! NIGERIA IS NOT DOOMED!! and you know why? . . . because there are people like YOU and ME, who still believe in ourselves (and i mean personal now) and our ability to bring about change!
no be by talk, action!! you can do it. . . you know you can! Nigeria is great jor!

GOD BLESS NIGERIA!!! cool
Re: Nigeria: Developed, Developing, Or Underdeveloped Country? by osereka(m): 2:15pm On Sep 18, 2007
@magneto,
you make my day, so sweet.
God will surely guide pipu like you, me, denex and other
good pipu in nairaland that hope for the best for naija.
we will get there Insha Allah.
this very forum is one of the best if not the best in africa
and it is made in naija by banorable Seun himself.
if things like this is happening more, the youth are taking constructive steps
not trying to pull naija down, nigeria will get there.
so I say it boldly that NIGERIA IS A DEVELOPING NATION
Re: Nigeria: Developed, Developing, Or Underdeveloped Country? by magneto(m): 2:32pm On Sep 18, 2007
osereka:

this very forum is one of the best if not the best in africa
and it is made in naija by banorable Seun himself.

buhahahahahahaahahhaaaaahhahaha!!!!! grin grin grin grin

now u made me smile too. . . . we're even! grin
Re: Nigeria: Developed, Developing, Or Underdeveloped Country? by Nobody: 2:41am On Jun 27, 2009
Still very much under- developed. Nigeria is like a badly baked caked, nice looking on the outside, but once you cut into it, it sinks cos it wasnt baked properly. Get the basic amenities and infrastructure right before you start calling yourself the giant of Africa.
Re: Nigeria: Developed, Developing, Or Underdeveloped Country? by blackspade(m): 3:02am On Jun 27, 2009
Technically, it's a developing nation. . .
Re: Nigeria: Developed, Developing, Or Underdeveloped Country? by Jakumo(m): 8:51am On Jun 27, 2009
The people pushing vehicles out of deep mud in the above photographs are in fact participants in a weekend fun-fest outing organized by offroad motoring enthusiasts.  These adventurers go out in search of challenging terrain to conquer, and participants show up in all manner of vehicles ranging from true 4-wheel drive rock-crawlers to family sedans and even 18-wheeler semi-trucks.

These exhilirating road challenges have drawn the attention of offroad buffs worldwide, with the result that package tourist holidays are currently on offer to entice over hard-currency paying mud lovers from the Western world, with a view to transforming Nigeria into the world's offroad Mecca.

Re: Nigeria: Developed, Developing, Or Underdeveloped Country? by vigasimple(m): 10:59am On Jun 27, 2009
This question was first asked in 2007, about 2 years ago. I wonder if anyone can tell me what, if any improvement has been made since then.

Nigeria is NOT a developed nation, it is between standstill (sometimes retro) and developing.

We sometime takes 2 steps forward and take 5 steps backwards. OBJ with his limitation did some basic stuffs and his friend's brother YAR A'CLUELESS came and all he could do is first reverse, then reverse himself again.

Example is the power projects. He still hasn't  declare any emergency and he lies too much.
Re: Nigeria: Developed, Developing, Or Underdeveloped Country? by jimmysho(m): 11:26am On Jun 27, 2009
let be objective, nigeria is a developing country. we will get there one day
Re: Nigeria: Developed, Developing, Or Underdeveloped Country? by toshmann(m): 7:52pm On Jun 27, 2009
US/UK=developed countries

Brasil/India/China/South Africa= Developing countries

Kenya/Ghana/Tansania/Cote D'Iviore=Underdeveloped countries

Sudan/Congo= war ravaged countries

Nigeria= refused-to-develop/undevelopable
Re: Nigeria: Developed, Developing, Or Underdeveloped Country? by generalzango(m): 8:04pm On Jun 27, 2009
As far as General Zango is consigned, Naija is a developing State.
Re: Nigeria: Developed, Developing, Or Underdeveloped Country? by davidif: 10:07pm On Jun 27, 2009
[size=18pt]under-developed. [/size]
Re: Nigeria: Developed, Developing, Or Underdeveloped Country? by strangleyo: 10:46pm On Jun 27, 2009
Is Stuck in the mud a category?
Re: Nigeria: Developed, Developing, Or Underdeveloped Country? by honosas(m): 12:53am On Jun 28, 2009
Firstly, a developed country is one dat has being transform from a traditional society to a modern or industrialize society.According to Seeker,there r 3 key questions in development n dey r Proverty,Unemployment n inequality.When these 3 things appears 2 b high than dat country is not developed. D real issue is dat,d terms developing country,less developed country or under developed country means d same to me.In conclusion,Nigeria is a developing country
Re: Nigeria: Developed, Developing, Or Underdeveloped Country? by aieromon(m): 10:14am On Jun 28, 2009
As at 28-06-2009,
Developing!!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Abacha, Maryam Abacha, Al-mustapha And Buhari In 1995 / IPOB Kills 1, Pastes Sit-At-Home On His Body In Anambra / Aisha Buhari Celebrates Her 48th Birthday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.