Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,725 members, 7,844,391 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 08:03 PM

Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban (12216 Views)

Lagos Threatens To Seize Trucks Between 6am And 9pm / Crisis: Lagos Threatens To Shut Ladipo Market. / Okada Ban: Motorcycle Dealers Nationwide To Cast Protest Votes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by Oceemo(m): 11:24pm On Oct 22, 2012
My fear is dat wat wll become of doz guys. Dis daz policies ar jst d 2 favor only a few n leave d rest hungry. I even watch on stv one Acn politician challegin fashola of hs laws nt favorin d masses Acn better watch oh! My thouth.
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by omosexy1: 11:28pm On Oct 22, 2012
Oceemo: My fear is dat wat wll become of doz guys. Dis daz policies ar jst d 2 favor only a few n leave d rest hungry. I even watch on stv one Acn politician challegin fashola of hs laws nt favorin d masses Acn better watch oh! My thouth.

I will ask you a simple question - Do you feel comfortable riding an okada?
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by elopee3000(m): 11:29pm On Oct 22, 2012
fashola ban if u want but just make sure there re more police in lagos,if not for corruption lagos dont even need okada,lagos water alone will take care of lagos transport,or is lagos goverment want to tell me they never visit holland armstaderm b4? they must be joking,go to holland and see how they use water to connect all the cities
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by PaulJohn1: 11:29pm On Oct 22, 2012
alj harem:

gbam, really making the youths intellectually lazy. Okadas are simply not sustainable

That's the point.
You can't ride okada for the rest of your life and hope you'll have enough to cater for your wife and pay your kids school fee.

A farmers opportunity is never limited.
Okada rider can't gain more than what he can ride.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by PaulJohn1: 11:32pm On Oct 22, 2012
omosexy1:

Never
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by amacastel: 11:33pm On Oct 22, 2012
OYINBOGOJU: Good way to go.....

Atleast all those young hausas and their igbo counterparts will return to their village.
. May God of Igbos punish dt ur mouth u useless lazy yourba fool who gav u d gut 2 cal igbo's okada men shld stp plyng hihgways I agree bt 4 state rd n strs dy ar vry impt cos fashola n his chairmen of L G A doesn't want 2 bulid d state rds n dy ar here beatng abt d bush go 2 ago,okota, som part of festac,ijesha,aguda,lawanson,ajao,mafolukwu,bisam ,oshaodi environ strs,owode.apapa etc dt don't av motorable rds even ejigbo,iyana ejigbo jakande,okafa,na only okada fit ply dose rds n poepl dt av private car dt doesn't av choice dt can put a course on retraing any body dt want 2 be an okada man in d state bt nt ban cos it wil increas d rate of crime in d state
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by ochukoccna: 11:41pm On Oct 22, 2012
Some Okada riders went on the rampage in various parts of Lagos State on Monday to protest the ban on them from plying 475 roads in the metropolis.

At Onipanu, on Ikorodu Road, the protesters vandalised about 10 BRT buses during the violent protest against the Lagos State Government.

Armed with sticks, iron roads and other dangerous weapons, the Okada riders hauled stones at BRT buses on Ikorodu road at Onipanu and Palmgrove bus stops.
There are better ways to protest peacefully and effectively
Been violent wont help their cause
If my memory serves right, okada was banned in Abia and Cross Rivers states and I don't recall anyone going violent
Personally, I believe the okada ban should be enforced on major roads whilst inner city riders should have a standard [helmets, driving school certified etc]
People should stop attacking personalities i.e Fashola over the okada ban
Bedlam has reigned in Lagos for so long a tie thus anyone bringing order will be called names
Yet let law and order have a human face kiss kiss
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by ochukoccna: 11:46pm On Oct 22, 2012
Oceemo: My fear is dat wat wll become of doz guys. Dis daz policies ar jst d 2 favor only a few n leave d rest hungry. I even watch on stv one Acn politician challegin fashola of hs laws nt favorin d masses Acn better watch oh! My thouth.
But Abuja and some states in the SE& SS have banned okada without anyone protesting or claiming the governor/ FCT Minister was anti masses undecided undecided

omosexy1:

I've riden bikes in Benin Republic before and I can say it wasn't like the crazy rides we taken down here in Nigeria
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by odoguigbo: 11:46pm On Oct 22, 2012
Fashola, you are really insane! Were you not the same that condenmed Jonathan's decision for sending the militry troops into the Lagos zones during when were protesting against the subsidy; by asking him to withdraw the sqaud from the state with a very immidiate effect that we are in a Democracy which we have every write to say "NO" to that which is not favourable to us? Now is your turn and you remember that militry still have to control your government. By the way, mr. Fash or Fake, those houses that you demolished had you the purpose of their demolision? Fashola, you are fake like your father Tinubu(Tinubu)!
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by kspeed(m): 11:47pm On Oct 22, 2012
[quote author=Sam Milla]I totally agree that Okadas should get out of highways.[/quote

I concur with you sir[color=#006600][/color]
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by opetiti: 11:51pm On Oct 22, 2012
Menh.....I fill so relax wen I was coming frm mushin area today cos I don't av to watch my side wenever am working to check if one okada man is coming behind me.I fill somehw free working along d road without d fear of okada
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by soledayo(m): 11:54pm On Oct 22, 2012
LET THEM GO BACK TO D VILLAGE.. YEARS BACK WHEN MY FATHER COULDN'T FIND HIS FEET IN LAGOS, HE PACKED ALL HIS FAMILY TO THE VILLAGE. TODAY I AM BACK IN LAGOS BIG AND BETTER. GOOD JOB, GOOD FAMILY AND GOOD FUTURE. IN THOSE DAYS IN VILLAGE I DID FARMING WTH DAD & SIBLING, WENT TO SCHOOL AND GRADUATED BEING D BEST IN MY TERTIARY EDUCATION. HIGHWAY OKADA RIDERS SHOULD GO HOME AND START A NEW LIFE LIKE MY DAD AND HIS FAMILY.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by takedat(m): 11:58pm On Oct 22, 2012
Fashola should ban Okada totally. Why should people leave their respective states and head to Lagos all in the name of making fast money from Okada business.

Ban on Okada will reduce the In-Patients who troop into Igbobi and other orthopaedic home. The recklessness associated with Okada riders is alarming.

For those clamouring that the Fashola should create an alternative for them, my question is, should Fashola be held responsible for the
inefficiencies of the other 35 state governors and the FG? If other
state governors remain aloof over the welfare of their people and
they(riders) relocate to Lagos all in the name of riding a bike, then
its not Fashola's responsibility to create jobs for them.

This okada business is really making education less attractive. You see young boys droping out of school to become okada riders.

There are millions of unemployed youths who have not resorted to Okada business and they are fending for themselves.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by opetiti: 12:02am On Oct 23, 2012
Mostly nw okada are used for armrobbery most especially ikeja.don't knw abouth oda area bt for ikeja Atleast av of someno who claim an okada man together wit another perdon on d bike pursuing him from.d bank where he just withdrew some cash.countless times dt have heard of d incident.am nt saying all dis bikemen a thievies bt majority take dis advantage
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by Jarus(m): 12:12am On Oct 23, 2012
I am a regular okada patron, twice 'flew' it from VI to MMIA Ikeja to catch late flights, not to talk of the many times I had 'flown' it on Lekki-Ajah expressway to and from work.

But I fully endorse this action. There are too many reported okada accidents on highways, with its attendant fatalities. Banning will affect me too, but I am ready to take the sacrifice. It will also help me to be more time-conscious, and jettison my 'I go fly bike reach there in 20 minutes' mentality, rather than setting out early enough.

The cost is just too much. The ban on highways is in order. BRF has my support.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by globatop: 12:12am On Oct 23, 2012
acn is gradually digging its grave. ondo state election is a warning signal. u lawmakers that are anti pple will soon come back to meet us. lagos is a commercial capital, you can't provide enough infrastructure, commuters are suffering, lawmakers are laughing, labour party is warming up.
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by tomakint: 12:30am On Oct 23, 2012
Paul John:

Enough jobs are awaiting them in the village.
Enough jobs in the villlage? Like........
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by ifecx4real: 12:34am On Oct 23, 2012

Atleast all those young hausas and their igbo counterparts will return to their village.

Daft comment
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by 360command: 12:40am On Oct 23, 2012
This is the time Nigeria needs to be among the OHADA COUNTRIES to bring up OHADA LAW upon those OKADA riders.
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by victorian(f): 12:44am On Oct 23, 2012
Real daft comment, when i hear pple say that trash. Just take a look at Lagos, the magnificent buildings around, are all owned by pple from other states.. sorry to say, a typical lagosian is born lazy. On christmas moments, lagos is always deserted with most pple going back to their villages to relax and be with families.. na that time, u will understand who makes lagos city, bubbly.
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by mbourie(m): 12:50am On Oct 23, 2012
Fashola (Manchester united fan) finally bans okada riders(chelsea fans) b4 the super match-Raji u aluu!real football in politics. Thank God danfo drivers(barca fans) r still smiling.
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by Nobody: 1:10am On Oct 23, 2012
Go ahead sirs! Ban Okadas because they are constituting nuisance to the city life of Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by stonefaze: 1:13am On Oct 23, 2012
All I have 2 say is,banning okada has not solved any traffic issues as far as I'm concerned.it only reduces the crazyness they perform on the highway which in truth other road users,b it danfo or private car owners dat are sick would perform.its a welcome idea with a "BUT......."
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by Nobody: 1:14am On Oct 23, 2012
stonefaze: All I have 2 say is,banning okada has not solved any traffic issues as far as I'm concerned.it only reduces the crazyness they perform on the highway which in truth other road users,b it danfo or private car owners dat are sick would perform.its a welcome idea with a "BUT......."
We must start from somewhere. That would be out of the troubles they used to contribute to the hectic nature of the city.
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by elbulk(m): 1:30am On Oct 23, 2012
if it can work in other states y nt Lagos,even in Jos that thre fighters they calmed dwn,nuthn mopol and soldier cannot do,I support d move,personally d bikes were mre convinient bt d question is is it rite 2 board a bike on majot highways?No...we complain both ways wen d government acts or wen they dnt,we dnt even knw wat we want as citizens...we want to be spoon fed-utter rubbish
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by jeffoski(m): 2:40am On Oct 23, 2012
I don't think the state govt is taking the right step on dis okada issue.Yes I agree they have their flaws and have caused many accident but is not like other vehicles are 100% safe too.And yes they are been used for armed robbery but Danfo,cabs,taxi,Private cars etc are also used for robbery as well infact they are number 1 when it comes to one chance,kidnapping,ritual killing e.t.c which is on the increase now and I have not heard for once that the police or any security agent have apprehend any1 now tell me how do dis same police and military want to protect our lives and property with the high rate of crime that is about to hit lagos?

There are ways to organize the activities of this okada riders. Set up an organization that can help train this riders on how to ride(just like driving school),educate and enlighten them about riding and the traffic laws of the state. Make sure is not every one dat gets to operate but those that have been well trained and have been giving license to do so(just like driving permit or license)and also make sure that the security agent on the road are serious people who can checkmate their activities and make sure they keep to the laws.

I remember the time they told all okada riders to get new plate number,use helmet and not carry more than 1 passenger at a time. this people kept to this rule because of the strict penalty but still dis security agent in some areas relax and where not strict with their duties.

Taking a way their source of living with no alternative means will not solve the problem. Some of them do not have a village to return back to due to the recent flood and boko haram activities. I heard one rider last week lamenting on how his village was affected by this bakassi issue and he didn't know where his fate lies anymore. seriously if life in the village was rosy and good am sure many of them won't even bother coming to lagos in the 1st place. some people who are not okada riders but suffering here would have gone back to their village. Farmers are not having the best of times especially when the government abandon agriculture for Oil.

The best way to combat this situation is either re organizing the whole system or create employment opportunity cos with the number of un employed youth we have now (both educated and non)and now d large number of okada riders joining at this crucial point(EMBER season) we are only creating more problems for ourselves.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by omiobo: 4:23am On Oct 23, 2012
It's just a matter of time,we will adapt to the new development. Moreover,banning okadas will helps us burn a lot of calories by trekking with styles.grin
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by born2boink(m): 4:39am On Oct 23, 2012
PDP are smiling as they have something to use against them while Tinubu coming with another candidate t claim okada will be return, this game won't work this time, not okada are bans, houses destroy nko? Market woman chased away for modern market costing about 1.5 million, the wages of this has long way to go, if lagos want to have peace, other state must develop with industries,business and constant power supply and not one city, 30 villages that occured in other state

1 Like

Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by ceejay80s(m): 4:44am On Oct 23, 2012

MEANING?! Yoruba no dey ride okada? Mind u, na yoruba dey take okada rob people
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by born2boink(m): 4:52am On Oct 23, 2012
ceejay80s: MEANING?! Yoruba no dey ride okada? Mind u, na yoruba dey take okada rob people
I want nigeria to divide because of what is just said, I do not know what you people are looking for in our land because since I was born till now, my entire life journey is between lagos and ekiti state, I don't even go to londoo or enter yeye plane but making enough dough for partying around lagos, if we divide, I will enjoy life more often and all your benin ashewo girls go dey collect visa before dem enter here,because na them to collect all my hard labour pass
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by KINGwax(m): 6:11am On Oct 23, 2012
new maonza: Not in the Manner they are going about it.... mind u itz not FASHOLA that would suffer it( He is heavily Guarded by security men and He has a sirened Convoy to always clear the road for him in case of HEAVY TRAFFIC....)
pls forget ds, why wld commercial bikes ply the highways? How is dt even sensible?
And if u see d ways ds riders behave...some had even cut the handles of their bike, some bent it upwards in order to go in between moving vehicules thus, reducing the main coverage calculated by the manufacturer for proper maneuvering. When it's time for a quick action to be taken during a potential accidental stance, it becomes difficult if not impossible for that biker to control because of d handle that's been tampered with!
Plus riders in that ikorodu axis shld not only be banned, they shld be shot on sighit. Those people are murderers!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Stop Promoting B’haram Attacks Online, FG Warns Youths / Ojogbane Adegbe Sues EFCC For N100m / Kaduna Guber: As PDP Settles For Ashiru/katung Ticket

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.