Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,746 members, 7,809,846 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:57 PM

How Has The Ban On Okadas In Lagos Affected You? - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / How Has The Ban On Okadas In Lagos Affected You? (11009 Views)

How Has The Falling Global Oil Prices Affected You? / The Proposed Ban On Okada: How Feasible Is It? / Has Social Network Slangs/short Forms Affected You In Your Exam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Has The Ban On Okadas In Lagos Affected You? by Nobody: 7:21am On Oct 24, 2012
After giving them helmet during election, they now take away both helmet and the okada. They also make money thru okada driving permit. Maco maco ACN construting more substandard roads than good road.
Re: How Has The Ban On Okadas In Lagos Affected You? by 4reigningqueen: 7:25am On Oct 24, 2012
on my way to buy a brand new bicycle since bus drivers are now taking advantage of the lack of alternatives.or is it banned tooo
Re: How Has The Ban On Okadas In Lagos Affected You? by Onegai(f): 7:31am On Oct 24, 2012
ydtaurus5: i am not saying the ban isnt good bt you guys should try moving from lekki to v.i and within v.i you will see what a hell looks like.let them provide alternatives.try trekng frm sanusi fafunwa down to oniru. undecided

He should do a congestion charge for VI, Ikeja and Apapa. If you drive a car there, you pay a toll. Then provide small buses to go everywhere in that area, so there's an alternative. This should encourage people not to drive and take public transport. However, knowing nigerians, una go pay the toll happily so you can show yout cars off, sigh.
Re: How Has The Ban On Okadas In Lagos Affected You? by SimplySEA(m): 7:32am On Oct 24, 2012
acidtalk: Will the ban of Okada bring about less Accident victims in authopedic hospitals and will it also reduce the number of robbery cases perpetuated on motorbikes?

This and many more answers we need to know.
Do u kno how many millions u've happily declared unemployed? Do u kno d common job retrenched staffs live on? Do u kno how many potential armed robbers, BH members u've successfully recruited on d wait? Do u kno dat wat goes around comes around?
what of d oil sellers, d pepper movers, d kilishi retailers? Who'd speak for them? Who'd speak for d road treckers, d garri sellers, d people u've taken food from their table? Did u provide an alternative job for them? What of d children dat'd cry every mornin for their school fees and biscuit? What of d fathers dat'd becom scared of their homes cos de can't provide for their family? January is on d way, who'd pay their rent? Xmas is close, how 'll de survive d surge?
Let's not for d sake of comfort send a million others to their early graves....!

1 Like

Re: How Has The Ban On Okadas In Lagos Affected You? by slyopez(m): 7:49am On Oct 24, 2012
iiii
Re: How Has The Ban On Okadas In Lagos Affected You? by Oyee08: 7:57am On Oct 24, 2012
The problem we need to face is dat wat will dis Okada riders do in Substitute for dere banned job? By then, Evrybody will b affected..... I guez u all knw wat I'm Saying...
Re: How Has The Ban On Okadas In Lagos Affected You? by acidtalk: 8:01am On Oct 24, 2012
SimplySEA: Do u kno how many millions u've happily declared unemployed? Do u kno d common job retrenched staffs live on? Do u kno how many potential armed robbers, BH members u've successfully recruited on d wait? Do u kno dat wat goes around comes around?
what of d oil sellers, d pepper movers, d kilishi retailers? Who'd speak for them? Who'd speak for d road treckers, d garri sellers, d people u've taken food from their table? Did u provide an alternative job for them? What of d children dat'd cry every mornin for their school fees and biscuit? What of d fathers dat'd becom scared of their homes cos de can't provide for their family? January is on d way, who'd pay their rent? Xmas is close, how 'll de survive d surge?
Let's not for d sake of comfort send a million others to their early graves....!

Oga wetin now?
Na me ban okada?
Abeg carry this question go Alausa.
Re: How Has The Ban On Okadas In Lagos Affected You? by dabrake(m): 8:09am On Oct 24, 2012
All the minor/major roads in ikoyi also on that list. Omo, e don be oh, considering the fact that white danfos ply major roads only, . . .
Re: How Has The Ban On Okadas In Lagos Affected You? by SimplySEA(m): 8:12am On Oct 24, 2012
acidtalk:

Oga wetin now?
Na me ban okada?
Abeg carry this question go Alausa.
u fit ban okada? I sure say u no even fit control yr house self....! Someone who delights in comfort, watchin others suffer is not fit for control! I tink mr Seun should seriously consider is moderator requirements!
Re: How Has The Ban On Okadas In Lagos Affected You? by acidtalk: 8:16am On Oct 24, 2012
SimplySEA: u fit ban okada? I sure say u no even fit control yr house self....! Someone who delights in comfort, watchin others suffer is not fit for control! I tink mr Seun should seriously consider is moderator requirements!

Please use Paraga as eye drop as you no dey see well this morning.

Who be moderator?

Don't miss understand me sir, I am not in support of the Total ban of Okada in Lagos. One way or the other I will also be affected.

This thread was just to get people's view on the current situation.
Re: How Has The Ban On Okadas In Lagos Affected You? by udokpuenyi(m): 8:23am On Oct 24, 2012
He who deny anyone his means of livelihood without providing an alternative is a murderer.
With the way things are in Lagos today, many will suffer, many more may die. Dont ask me why (..Marley)
BTW the police should also know that their ATMs from which they forcefully extort money have gone couple with they are no longer on the road. the coast is getting clear, hope they grab that too
Re: How Has The Ban On Okadas In Lagos Affected You? by kabiesy: 8:25am On Oct 24, 2012
They should have gave them notice to January 1st 2013 so that if they travel home with their okada no coming back again to Lagos with Okada.
Re: How Has The Ban On Okadas In Lagos Affected You? by Nobody: 8:28am On Oct 24, 2012
Onegai:

He should do a congestion charge for VI, Ikeja and Apapa. If you drive a car there, you pay a toll. Then provide small buses to go everywhere in that area, so there's an alternative. This should encourage people not to drive and take public transport. However, knowing nigerians, una go pay the toll happily so you can show yout cars off, sigh.

100 likes
Re: How Has The Ban On Okadas In Lagos Affected You? by Sleek05(f): 8:31am On Oct 24, 2012
Sagytarius: Omo, nor go there o. They will make the road more difficult for vehicles. U will find it difficult to overtake them.

Can u see how selfish u sounded? All cuz u won't be able 2 overtake tricycles, ppl who don't have cars n can't get bikes cuz of d ban shd trek while u whiz past dem...I said it b4, only people who have cars wil hail dis development as superb. Smh
Re: How Has The Ban On Okadas In Lagos Affected You? by Nobody: 8:33am On Oct 24, 2012
4reigningqueen: on my way to buy a brand new bicycle since bus drivers are now taking advantage of the lack of alternatives.or is it banned tooo

Hahaha, no try am for Lagos. You can ride bicycles within your estate but not on lagos roads. It's suicidal.
Re: How Has The Ban On Okadas In Lagos Affected You? by Sleek05(f): 8:35am On Oct 24, 2012
slyopez: I felt for you peeps in Lagos, i experienced that when Okada was banned in PH 3years ago. Then i use to trek more than 6miles to and fro daily before i will get to my destination. It was a terrible experience then and everybody was complaining but we are all use to it now. Nobody in PH ever wants Okada anymore. Beside that ricketty bikes always make the city look shabby.

I'm sure u don't trek miles anymore, cuz alternatives have been provided!
Re: How Has The Ban On Okadas In Lagos Affected You? by Nobody: 8:37am On Oct 24, 2012
Governor Fashola,
Okada riders are humans
Okada passengers are humans
I have a lot of okada drivers in my neighborhood, good decent folks for the most part.
These guys met a need in the market your lopsided transport infrastructure has failed to meet and now you decide to make life unbearable for those of us who live and thrive on the convenience offered by okadas.
Pls Governor, reverse this inhumane policy.
Re: How Has The Ban On Okadas In Lagos Affected You? by yemmyyy(m): 8:58am On Oct 24, 2012
Government is demolishing estates
Mass lay off of bank workers in the name of transformation
Petrol price is now #120 per liter and not even available
Landlords have increased their house rents due to tenement rates in Lagos
Banks are not even lending to small business owners
Railway system is in shambles
Our Roads are in mess
Taxis are meant for the rich
Brt coverage is still limited
Okada not allowed on major roads

WHAT HAS THIS GOVERNMENT DONE FOR THE POOR cry

1 Like

Re: How Has The Ban On Okadas In Lagos Affected You? by Larrey(f): 9:09am On Oct 24, 2012
okada driver hit one plumber ystaday at the front of my office and it was very serious.i tink d banning of okadas is gud in some ways though it will affect some of us cos i also take bike a lot, and one thing i noticed abt d okada drivers is dat dey dnt allow people to walk comfortably on the road,also uses okada to steal.But gov. fashola shud find sometin for dem to do
Re: How Has The Ban On Okadas In Lagos Affected You? by Ariyke: 9:09am On Oct 24, 2012
acidtalk: Will the ban of Okada bring about less Accident victims in authopedic hospitals and will it also reduce the number of robbery cases perpetuated on motorbikes?

This and many more answers we need to know.
Yes we need answer to this
Re: How Has The Ban On Okadas In Lagos Affected You? by Ariyke: 9:16am On Oct 24, 2012
And to think most of these okada riders are graduates unable to secure employment and then sort to drive okada in other to make a living.

We need to ask them why they decided to inflict so much suffering on the masses cus if these people resort to robbery it is the masses that will suffer.

They've done more harm than good.
Re: How Has The Ban On Okadas In Lagos Affected You? by Sagytarius(m): 9:32am On Oct 24, 2012
Sleek05: Can u see how selfish u sounded? All cuz u won't be able 2 overtake tricycles, ppl who don't have cars n can't get bikes cuz of d ban shd trek while u whiz past dem...I said it b4, only people who have cars wil hail dis development as superb. Smh
First~of, I never mentioned anywhere that the idea of scrapping-off okada is the ultimate fantastic development. I was only opposing your suggested alternative. I believe that part of the reasons for abolishing okada is to decongest the road, hence, less traffic hold-up. So, if that is the case, the aim of improving traffic-flow will be defeated if keke marwa is introduced. Kapish?
Re: How Has The Ban On Okadas In Lagos Affected You? by yuzedo: 9:34am On Oct 24, 2012
It has affected me because all my paroles wey i dey give okada money to come nyash me don dey demand taxi fare! undecided FASHOLA DO SUNTIN!!! angry angry cry
Re: How Has The Ban On Okadas In Lagos Affected You? by victme1(m): 10:17am On Oct 24, 2012
angry sad
acidtalk: What has been the Effect of the Ban of Okada (Commercial Motorcycle) on you.

Have you found it difficult getting to your destination due to the non alternative means aside Danfo, BRT and taxi or have you felt at ease walking on the road without the fear of an Okada rider to knock you down or throw you inside the gutter without even feeling remorse.

now our dear brf has condemend okada on major roads. a very good and wise decision.
question is, y do people climb okada, risk their lives? Answer: it is because of a monster call traffic jam, they need to get to their destination on time, period. journey of 10-15 mins will take over 2.30mins

so what should our BRF have done, or what has he done?
he gave us BRT. this also is a very good idea and a laudable one (that is what he has done).
is the BRT working?
Answer: NO. y, they are becoming fewer on the roads. what hapened to them? they ve broke down. y did they broke down? may be no money to repair them. so what is the consequence of this on our roads? very curvey lengthy passenger queues, over loaded buses, whc is causing the buses to wear at a fast rate.
okay, so what has that got to do with the Okada Ban?

use of BRT is the solution, but the BRT is not functioning. then what is the solution, this is very simple, people like me will bring out our cars to the alredy cramped lagos road and cause additional TRAFIC JAM
Re: How Has The Ban On Okadas In Lagos Affected You? by Sleek05(f): 11:29am On Oct 24, 2012
Sagytarius: First~of, I never mentioned anywhere that the idea of scrapping-off okada is the ultimate fantastic development. I was only opposing your suggested alternative. I believe that part of the reasons for abolishing okada is to decongest the road, hence, less traffic hold-up. So, if that is the case, the aim of improving traffic-flow will be defeated if keke marwa is introduced. Kapish?

Lol. How on earth wil okadas be banned 2 decongest roads? How does dat work? Without okadas which def helps 2 get 2ur destination early, more ppl dat wil normally take a bike wil drive and dia'l be more traffic congestion. Okadas were banned cuz of dia nuisance and d accidents they cause. I get dat ure tryin 2 smarten ur way thru wat u sed earlier tho but den since u don't support dia replacement with tricycles, wat alternative(s) do u give d okada ridin populace? And don't say buses or BRT cuz minor roads r involved too. E.g GRA ikeja where I stay!
Re: How Has The Ban On Okadas In Lagos Affected You? by Princessaleeza: 3:35pm On Oct 24, 2012
Billyonaire: Is Okada banned totally ?
nope.
Re: How Has The Ban On Okadas In Lagos Affected You? by CITIZENX: 8:25pm On Oct 24, 2012
[size=16pt]A PASSIONATE PLEA TO LP

I am using this medium to call on the leadership of Labour Party to use this opportunity of the disenchantment of the masses in Lagos as a campaign issue to wrestle Lagos from the Oppressive regime of ACN.

What you need to win is to tell Lagosian that you will reverse the anti-poor people policies of the ACN government. If you do this, ACN will lose Lagos.

If you need strategy, I will provide free of charge just to see this wicked Government disgraced like you did to them in ONDO. Long live LP. [/size]
Re: How Has The Ban On Okadas In Lagos Affected You? by spawnx: 12:21am On Oct 25, 2012
I knew it was going to be a total ban when I noticed the no motorcycle sign post appearing allover Lagos. I guess they were strategically planning it
Re: How Has The Ban On Okadas In Lagos Affected You? by nnabuike1(m): 12:34am On Oct 25, 2012
Such wholesale ban on such an integral element of the Lagos economy with what seems to be no regard of consequence is a betrayal of the man's stupidity. For example, no okada == more time wasted in traffic =decreased productivity = less goods per naira. Just one of **very** many effects.
Re: How Has The Ban On Okadas In Lagos Affected You? by irohadis: 7:43am On Oct 25, 2012
Fashola and his advisers, by pursuing this policy have really shown the height of their ineptitude. Forget the issue of being humane. Economics 101 should have taught them how crazy and idiotic this policy is.

Job loses:
It is conservative to say that there are 100,000 Okadas in Lagos State. 100,000 Okadas = 100,000 jobs. Plus, another 200,000 jobs for people who lease, sell and repair Okadas, as well as people who sell engine oil and spare parts to Okada people. Then there are the street kitchens who feed them with food and snacks. Let us say that conservatively, the total jobs lost = 300,000. Let us assume that each Okada job makes an average of =N=2000 a day. =N=2000 x 300,000 Okadas = =N=600,000,000 (six hundred million) a day in lost business to the Lagos economy.

Killing the future:
Then there are the kids that may drop out of school because of loss of income for their parents, others that would die of simple illnesses for lack of free medical care. These children's health and education define the future of Lagos to a significant extent. Let me leave out the extended family and networks that these incomes support. I can't quantify the cost to Lagos in this respect.

Undermining efficiency:
It is the height of ignorance to fail to recognise the efficiency that Okadas bring to business operations and activities in Lagos. Where are they roads? As bad as the riders are, Okada's are the most efficient means of getting around the gridlock that is Lagos during the day. No government invited them to start operations. Okadas began in Lagos organically in response to a need for a faster way to get around and a way to reach the nooks and corners ill serviced by public transport vehicles. That need has not gone away and the weak infrastructure has not changed. The immediate cost to businesses small and large that depend on Okadas may also run into the hundreds of millions a day.

Unfair devaluation of private asset value:
The estimated 200,000 Okada vehicles in Lagos, who is going to buy them? What happens to their value? Let us say they are each worth at least =N=50,000 on average. That is 10 billion Naira worth of private assets devalued with a single policy. Is there an Okada buy back policy to at least give these now jobless people some capital to find another means of livelihood??

The idiotic case for the ban:
Yes robbers use Okadas to terrorise the city. Yes Okada riders can be rough on the road. Yes many have been maimed by Okadas. These are good reasons to see Okada as a problem, but hardly a justification. Why? If you think robbers are using Okadas to gain an advantage, imagine if 1% of 300,000 turn to robbery for a lack of employment. That is three thousand robbers injected into the society in one go. Imagine if 5% turn to other forms of crime or negative social behaviour. That makes 18,000. Do we not have enough of those in Lagos. Do we have the jails to hold them?

Okada riders are rough on the road. So is every one. Unless it is a different Lagos, the Lagos I know is one where you deserve a special license for being able to drive in it. Almost every one is in a hurry. It is easy to pick out the small guys. But how can a government that has not built the good roads banish road users for being rough. The terrain shapes the nature of navigation. Many have died and been maimed by Okada accidents. But more have died from the bad and neglected government roads. If you need to sack any one in this regard, it is the guys in power, who have misused our collective wealth instead of building our infrastructure.

The bigger nuisance in Nigerian and in Lagos is the governance and not Okada. Those in power are stealing much more than robbers have stolen with Okadas. They have left the infrastructure to decay in a city with so much wealth. They are building up elite neigbourhoods while the masses wade the floods to their homes. They have killed more through their negligence. The Okada man is an easy target to help clean up their mess. If you need to decongest the roads, build more and expand existing roads, create new public transportation modes (trains, buses,boats), build bicycle lanes, etc. If you need to improve security, equip the security forces and install more security infrastructure. Think for solutions first before taking the easy and ill informed way.

Fashola has really really disappointed me and ACN can not win a free election in Lagos if this policy stands. The masses are the majority and not the elite.

4 Likes

Re: How Has The Ban On Okadas In Lagos Affected You? by omiobo: 10:31pm On Oct 25, 2012
Asking for a lift is another alternative to forget okada but everybody in Lagos is a suspect. it's either you get kidnapped or you lose your car.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

S-C-A-N-D-A-L: Former VP Namadi Sambo Caught Having Sex With Wife's Brother. / Apple Choice Is Real / Senator Francis Arthur Nzeribe Writes Of His Riches

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.