Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,977 members, 7,817,882 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:58 PM

Okada Riders Damaged 42 Buses – LAGBUS, LAMATA - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okada Riders Damaged 42 Buses – LAGBUS, LAMATA (15704 Views)

Gridlock In Lagos As Tricycle, Okada Riders Endorse Jonathan 0 / LAGBUS Crushes Soldier To Death In Lagos Yesterday / LAGBUS Crashes Into Four Cars On Lagos Island (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Okada Riders Damaged 42 Buses – LAGBUS, LAMATA by naptu2: 2:57pm On Oct 24, 2012
One of several meetings.

[size=14pt]Okada riders meet Fashola, back new traffic law[/size]

September 12, 2012 | 12:59 am

News

By MONSUR OLOWOOPEJO

Commercial motorcycle operators in Lagos state, yesterday declared their total support for the new traffic law in the state.

The operators under the aegis of Motorcycle Operators Association of Lagos State, MOALS of National Union of Road Transport Workers, NURTW, Lagos state, declared their support for the new law at the end of a closed door meeting with the state governor, Babatunde Fashola at the State House, Alausa,Ikeja.

Speaking on behalf of the association at the end of the meeting which lasted for several hours, Chairman of MOALS of NURTW, Mr. Tijani Pekis said “ We are now ready to comply totally with the traffic law.”

Explaining on what transpired at the meeting, Pekis explained “at the meeting, we explained our grievances to the governor on the new traffic law.”

According to him, “But when we listened to his response, it was human. It suits us as a union. We all appreciate his response and we decided to back the law.

“As the grand patron of the okada riders in the state, he has assured us that the law will continue to have human face. And we have also assured him that we will go back to our members and sensitize them on the importance of the new law before the enforcement,” he said.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/09/okada-riders-meet-fashola-back-new-traffic-law/
Re: Okada Riders Damaged 42 Buses – LAGBUS, LAMATA by naptu2: 3:05pm On Oct 24, 2012
[size=14pt]Fashola commissions the sixteenth skills acquisition center; condemns FG import policy.[/size]

The number of skills acquisition centers in Lagos is now 16 as the Lagos State Governor, Babatunde Raji Fashola (SAN) has commissioned the latest addition to the centers located in the Mushin area of the state.

Speaking at the commissioning, the governor said that the state has equipped a total of 13,422 residents of the state with poverty alleviating skills in a period of four years.

A breakdown of the figure shows that 9,566, representing 71.3 per cent were women while the remaining 3,856, representing 28.7 percent were men. The governor pointed out that more youths, between the ages of 20 and 30 years, have been the greatest beneficiary, constituting about 11,509 or 85.7 per cent of the total graduates produced from the centre.

“These are the ordinary people I speak of to whom government owes the greatest responsibility and in whose eyes our government remains a model of what a caring government should be,” he said.

Governor Fashola added that the curriculum covers a wide range of courses including barbing, fashion design/dress-making, hairdressing/ cosmetology, photography, shoe/bag making, tile laying and interlocking, screen printing/Lithography technology, wielding, refrigeration and air-conditioning installation and maintenance and computer studies among others.

While berating the federal government for its import policy, the governor said allowing the importation of household items would destroy the country’s economy.

He said: "I am worried by the recent announcement of the Federal Government to allow importation of furniture, toothpick, textile and vehicles that are 15 years old.

"This policy decision is not the answer to the problem of smuggling. The answer lies in a methodical and multi-dimensional response. It includes strengthening of the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) through technology such as scanners, improving local productive capacity and reducing dependence on importation."

The governor said importation has killed the local economy and led to a high rate of unemployment, advising that smuggling could be tamed by well structured security mechanisms.

The governor urged the Federal Government to reverse its policy on importation and concentrate on stimulating the growth of local industries through constant electricity supply.

He said: "Our freight forwarders, customs and ports will become busier from a positive reversal of fortunes that is driven by an export oriented economy, rather than an import driven economy."

The governor informed that the costumes used at last year’s Lagos carnival were made locally, saying the state has embraced a people oriented policy of patronizing local manufacturers.

http://www.lagosindicatoronline.com/Fashola_commissions.htm
Re: Okada Riders Damaged 42 Buses – LAGBUS, LAMATA by Booty4me: 3:17pm On Oct 24, 2012
Answer dis question nd win a BRT Bus: Which
Governor gave people Ħelmet before £lection
& after £lection seized their Bikes?
A: Fashola,
B: Babatunde
C: Raji
D: SAN
E: all of the above

1 Like

Re: Okada Riders Damaged 42 Buses – LAGBUS, LAMATA by Sexxydivaa: 3:32pm On Oct 24, 2012
Now,Fashola has just proven to me that a 'repeater' is apparently a D!ckhead
Re: Okada Riders Damaged 42 Buses – LAGBUS, LAMATA by Desola(f): 3:49pm On Oct 24, 2012
Storyland, Fash! My question is when are you gonna introduce a ban on non road worthy automobile spare parts that the okoro keeps bringing in the my dear Lagos thereby not only defacing my state but killing its citizens? That is the kind of changes I want to see alongside your laudable skill acquisition programs. Furthermore, when is your government going to tackle the issue of piracy and copyright so that these okoros would stop swindling unsuspecting consumers out of their hard earned cash and not forgetting to demolish all those road side chemists that sell fake drugs et al?

When are you gonna kick Akabueze out of your cabinet? You are letting me down, pal!

naptu2: [size=14pt]Fashola commissions the sixteenth skills acquisition center; condemns FG import policy.[/size]

The number of skills acquisition centers in Lagos is now 16 as the Lagos State Governor, Babatunde Raji Fashola (SAN) has commissioned the latest addition to the centers located in the Mushin area of the state.

Speaking at the commissioning, the governor said that the state has equipped a total of 13,422 residents of the state with poverty alleviating skills in a period of four years.

A breakdown of the figure shows that 9,566, representing 71.3 per cent were women while the remaining 3,856, representing 28.7 percent were men. The governor pointed out that more youths, between the ages of 20 and 30 years, have been the greatest beneficiary, constituting about 11,509 or 85.7 per cent of the total graduates produced from the centre.

“These are the ordinary people I speak of to whom government owes the greatest responsibility and in whose eyes our government remains a model of what a caring government should be,” he said.

Governor Fashola added that the curriculum covers a wide range of courses including barbing, fashion design/dress-making, hairdressing/ cosmetology, photography, shoe/bag making, tile laying and interlocking, screen printing/Lithography technology, wielding, refrigeration and air-conditioning installation and maintenance and computer studies among others.

While berating the federal government for its import policy, the governor said allowing the importation of household items would destroy the country’s economy.

He said: "I am worried by the recent announcement of the Federal Government to allow importation of furniture, toothpick, textile and vehicles that are 15 years old.

"This policy decision is not the answer to the problem of smuggling. The answer lies in a methodical and multi-dimensional response. It includes strengthening of the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) through technology such as scanners, improving local productive capacity and reducing dependence on importation."

The governor said importation has killed the local economy and led to a high rate of unemployment, advising that smuggling could be tamed by well structured security mechanisms.

The governor urged the Federal Government to reverse its policy on importation and concentrate on stimulating the growth of local industries through constant electricity supply.

He said: "Our freight forwarders, customs and ports will become busier from a positive reversal of fortunes that is driven by an export oriented economy, rather than an import driven economy."

The governor informed that the costumes used at last year’s Lagos carnival were made locally, saying the state has embraced a people oriented policy of patronizing local manufacturers.

http://www.lagosindicatoronline.com/Fashola_commissions.htm
Re: Okada Riders Damaged 42 Buses – LAGBUS, LAMATA by Akanbiedu(m): 4:28pm On Oct 24, 2012
naptu2: It appears that the Lagos State Government needs to do a better job of informing the public about its programs because it seems many here are not aware of the plans, programs and alternatives that are available.

1) Skills acquisition centres: There are at least 16 skills acquisition centres that have been set up by the Lagos State Government. @ these centres, the youths and unempployed learn skills such as tailoring and carpentry and are giving loans, upon graduation, with which they are expected to start a business.

http://www.lagosindicatoronline.com/Fashola_commissions.html

2) The Lagos State Government, working with private banks, has worked out mortgages for traders with which they can own their own market stalls and pay monthly or yearly until they own the stalls outright.

3) Okada riders have not been banned from all Lagos roads. Rather, they've been banned from operating on the highways and certain bridges and districts. I know this because I went past the okada park @ Obalende yesterday. Lastma officials and policemen were there, but nobody was harassing the okada riders. However, the okada riders refused to take passengers to Victoria Island. Overzealous policemen and lastma officials will try to take advantage of the law to unlawfully harass okada riders, but that's why the office of the public defender exists.

4) The Lagos State Government has held several workshops, meetings and public enlightenment campaigns with the Motorcycle Operators Association of Lagos State (MOALS). The state house of assembly also had a public hearing while considering the law.

5) The government has also pprovided alternative means of transportation, including the BRT and LRT (although, personally, I would have preferred if the government had waited for the LRT to start operations before restricting okada operations).

The state government may need to meet with the police boss in Lagos as regards this ban issue. The police guys are capitalizing on the ban to extort money from the riders. They even arrest in places where ban has not been placed.
Re: Okada Riders Damaged 42 Buses – LAGBUS, LAMATA by Nobody: 4:34pm On Oct 24, 2012
jigawatts: If you come to Obalende area ... u will see that there a high influx of Niger citizens posing as hausas have become so much in Lagos, they are even more that the real hausas living there. They come to lagos and start doing menial jobs like fetching water for sale, selling biscuit and sweets, etc ........... their ultimate point is to be an Okada Rider, their population in Lagos right now is ALARMING.

Important warning to Okada Lovers: These Niger/Hausa citizens av sumtin they rub on deir body (probably a charm), no mata the level of accident their Okada has, they will only have scratches or little bruises, its you that they carried that will suffer the major damage. Please this is for real, an Okadaman confessed to me and my friend that is a LASTMA official in Obalende, Pls be careful.

Pls spread if u can (I'm not being tribalistic)

You honestly believe what you wrote? Anyways, I have witnessed a number of okada accidents and trust me when I tell you that the Okada men involved were not spared.
Re: Okada Riders Damaged 42 Buses – LAGBUS, LAMATA by Horus(m): 4:36pm On Oct 24, 2012
No Okada = No problem
Re: Okada Riders Damaged 42 Buses – LAGBUS, LAMATA by 2mch(m): 4:45pm On Oct 24, 2012
All Okada riders should be fined for the repairs of the buses. If people learn that actions have repercussions they will think. People should not be able to go around destroying other people's properties. Fine each okada rider about N500 each. Eye go clear. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Okada Riders Damaged 42 Buses – LAGBUS, LAMATA by ddim22: 5:42pm On Oct 24, 2012
berem: When you seize okadas and expect the riders whom most of them have wives and children to cater for to become jobless,isn't that pure wickedness? How could fashola be so mean? Why didn't he give them warning first or make a deadline? Seems he doesn't know the consequences of what he did. Armed robbery,ritual killing etc will surely be on the rise! He has no idea of how many people he has rendered jobless.smh
Okada riders are not the first people whose business was affected by govt. policies.Many sectors of our economy like banking etc,have been hit by govt. policies before and people lost their jobs in their thousands.Why didnt they become armed robbers.Losing ur job is not a justification for you to go into crime.It is not today that unemployment started in the country or any where in the world.The okada riders can look for another business to engage themselves in,and they are lucky they have been working before so source of capital for a petty business will not be a problem because they have a little money they have saved.I am saying this as an advice to this okada riders because the govt. of a land is an authority ordained by God.If their policies disturb your business,look for a way out that will not break the law.
Re: Okada Riders Damaged 42 Buses – LAGBUS, LAMATA by Saib4Jesus: 7:49pm On Oct 24, 2012
oluface: Damaging bus will even make govt decision worst on them. Haba.

This is how the Niger-Delta guys started, now they are being celebrated; they have become big time government contractors. The Okada guys has just started, dont be surprised they might end up celebrated as well; becoming general importer of LAGBUS and so on.
Re: Okada Riders Damaged 42 Buses – LAGBUS, LAMATA by mbhs139(m): 10:36pm On Oct 24, 2012
sucess001:

The "some major' roads u r refering to actually number 475....aint u even surprised we have up to dt number of roads in Lagos? in other words...they ve been banned from 99% of roads in Lagos Dum Dum!

So, in your own estimation, 475 roads equals to 99% of roads in Lagos. In other words, there are just less than 500 roads in the whole of Lagos.

Sorry for the man and woman who laboured hard to send you to school.
Re: Okada Riders Damaged 42 Buses – LAGBUS, LAMATA by talkingfingers: 10:44pm On Oct 24, 2012
kawkab: Damaging this buses makes their case worse off. The should have just gone a peaceful protest.

Furthermore, the Okada business has led to to the influx of a lot of unwanted persons in Lagos. People that should doing other skilled based jobs in states and in other parts of the country. A lot of hausa chaps from parts of the country are now in Lagos doing Okada business when they should be engaged in other issue.

Please note that i am not denying the fact that the ban would cause a lot of hardship for commuters; but that is not enough reason for those affected to start vandalizing government properties.

Did you really have to type that second paragraph?
Re: Okada Riders Damaged 42 Buses – LAGBUS, LAMATA by talkingfingers: 10:51pm On Oct 24, 2012
ddim22:
Okada riders are not the first people whose business was affected by govt. policies.Many sectors of our economy like banking etc,have been hit by govt. policies before and people lost their jobs in their thousands.Why didnt they become armed robbers.Losing ur job is not a justification for you to go into crime.It is not today that unemployment started in the country or any where in the world.The okada riders can look for another business to engage themselves in,and they are lucky they have been working before so source of capital for a petty business will not be a problem because they have a little money they have saved.I am saying this as an advice to this okada riders because the govt. of a land is an authority ordained by God.If their policies disturb your business,look for a way out that will not break the law.

See okada man, see savings sha! No be only savings!! For people that live from hand to mouth. Even the bankers whom you cited as examples scarcely have any savings to show for all their toiling, let alone an aboki okada rider with his hire-purchase bike. Savings ko, source of capital ni!
Re: Okada Riders Damaged 42 Buses – LAGBUS, LAMATA by Buchika: 11:18pm On Oct 24, 2012
put in place a sound transport system and okada will be a thing of the past. Anything short of that is oppression
Re: Okada Riders Damaged 42 Buses – LAGBUS, LAMATA by stedox: 1:12am On Oct 25, 2012
Gbyte:
I am not in support of the act of the people protesting but one thing I want you to know is that what works in every other state cant work in Lagos, Lagos is OVER CONGESTED.
Gbyte:
I am not in support of the act of the people protesting but one thing I want you to know is that what works in every other state cant work in Lagos, Lagos is OVER CONGESTED.
Gbyte: . That is d more reason they av 2 vacate lagos. They shuld go learn som skills 2 add 2 d economy rada than 45percent of nigerian youths being okada riders
Re: Okada Riders Damaged 42 Buses – LAGBUS, LAMATA by stedox: 1:22am On Oct 25, 2012
Okadas av a way of making d whole place luk rough and shabby.
Re: Okada Riders Damaged 42 Buses – LAGBUS, LAMATA by nduchucks: 3:27am On Oct 25, 2012
Recently, Fashola stated that the Constitution cannot be "driven by itself. It must be driven by people with values.” He conclude his statement by stating that it is essentially useless to amend the constitution before a social engineering of people's values is effectuated.

Didn't wise Fashola understand that without first turning the okada operators and their riders alike, into people with good calues, his ban will not work? abi dis man dey talk from all sides of his mouth ni?
Re: Okada Riders Damaged 42 Buses – LAGBUS, LAMATA by blaqoracle: 3:34am On Oct 25, 2012
kawkab: Damaging this buses makes their case worse off. The should have just gone a peaceful protest.

Furthermore, the Okada business has led to to the influx of a lot of unwanted persons in Lagos. People that should doing other skilled based jobs in states and in other parts of the country. A lot of hausa chaps from parts of the country are now in Lagos doing Okada business when they should be engaged in other issue.

Please note that i am not denying the fact that the ban would cause a lot of hardship for commuters; but that is not enough reason for those affected to start vandalizing government properties.
why are people so obsessed with hausa? You That Is Comfortable Now In Lagos may be enjoying you father's sweat. your Father May Have Started As Homeless loner, hawking at oshodi market by daytime and sleeping underneath the bridge at night.
Re: Okada Riders Damaged 42 Buses – LAGBUS, LAMATA by GARRIx7(m): 6:55am On Oct 25, 2012
sucess001:

osiris...this is for ur education...u dnt just assume that Lagos has 1000 roads...just cos u 'feel' so...in d absence of u knowing how many roads lagos has...its more inteeligent for u to keep quiet...honestly...stop just assumin and talk som sense...if u read my poost and read urs....u ll realsie who d dull person is...mumu

You dull sha!! Ur brain is full of kunu.. Its obvious that its either you can't read well or you're a very proficient LIAR. I didn't say Lagos has 1000 roads...

I said: "even a snail knows that Lagos can't have less than 1000 roads"

Oya Mor0n, tell me where you got ur 99% figure from, if you didn't pluck it from ur hairy-lice-infested azz...
Re: Okada Riders Damaged 42 Buses – LAGBUS, LAMATA by GARRIx7(m): 7:01am On Oct 25, 2012
tayoTFC: @GARRI U PAPA FOR VILLAGE IS DANCING NAKED ON NAIRALAND...ODE NO WONDER GARRI FULL UR BRAIN...

Guy ur engrish for that post dey vely vely merodious, so I say ♍ake I dance small... grin
Re: Okada Riders Damaged 42 Buses – LAGBUS, LAMATA by sucess001(m): 4:54pm On Oct 25, 2012
Osiris...honestly...I tink ur senselessness shd baffle u urself. Whether its exact 1000 roads or more than..I challenged u to give ur authority, u cudnt. Philosophers call ur fallacy argumentum ad miscericondiam...google dat!

IF u dnt have a contrary statistic to mine...its better u shut up dan say 'even a snail knows'...check d list and tell me which road aint dere...ur words here shd digrace ur pple...u just a deviant who tinks cos he can string one or two words in english togeda...has become a professor of some sorts...dnt try mess wiv dis writer bro...it aint safe s.ex...idiot
Re: Okada Riders Damaged 42 Buses – LAGBUS, LAMATA by naptu2: 4:37am On Oct 27, 2012
Paraphrasing Ben Murray-Bruce: How can our leaders provide rickshaws (Keke Marwa) and motorcycles to Nigerians as transport solutions? These are 19th century ideas! I propose that the Lagos State governor and transport commissioner ride rickshaws and motorcycle taxis to work! Don't they see what happens in developed countries?

https://www.nairaland.com/413205/murray-don-vex

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

40 Aspirants For Governor In Ondo / Fuel Scarcity, No Electricity: Nigerians Are Really Suffering – Ben Bruce / Clement Agba: State Governors Are Responsible For Rising Poverty in Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.