Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,983 members, 7,952,951 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 08:04 AM

Anambra Demolishes Houses Of Kidnap, Robbery Suspect - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Anambra Demolishes Houses Of Kidnap, Robbery Suspect (8250 Views)

EFCC Seizes N5bn Houses Of Amosu, Others - The Punch / Anambra Demolishes Over 50 Brothels, Prostitutes Revolt / Check Out Edifices Of The Various State Houses Of Assembly. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anambra Demolishes Houses Of Kidnap, Robbery Suspect by Ndoz(m): 5:59am On Oct 25, 2012
AWKA—TWO houses belonging to a suspected robbery and kidnap kingpin, Mr. Emeka Ezekude, were, yesterday, demolished at Umuatu, Uli in Ihiala local government area of Anambra State, with the people of the community commending Governor Peter Obi for the action.

One of the buildings, a nine-bedroom executive bungalow, was still at the finishing stage, while the other was a four bedroom bungalow.
Some people who spoke with Vanguard in the community, said the construction of the executivebungalow was begun barely fa ew months ago.

The suspect was said to belong to the notorious kidnap gang, led by the late Olisa Ifejika, alias Ofeakwu, whose mansions were demolished at Oraifite in Ekwusigo local government area two months ago.
Ifejika was said to have named Ezekude as a memberof his gang while being interrogated by the police and investigations led to the discovery of large quantity ofarms and ammunition in his house at Uli.

Ezekude, 40, married with five children, was said to be involved in the delivery of sand to building contractors, while his main business was armed robbery and kidnapping.

Items recovered from the house include one rocket grenade, three grenade propellers, two A.K. 47 rifles, zero six riffle, 27 A.K 47 magazines, 170 rounds of live ammunition and nine chains used in restraining kidnap victims. The arms andammunition were hidden underground in plastic containers in his premises.

Yesterday’s demolition brings to three the number of houses belonging to criminals pulled down in Anambra State.
Governor Peter Obi, who led the demolition yesterday, said it was part of the war against kidnapping and other crimes in the state, insisting that any building linked with kidnapping and armed robbery would be demolished.
He made it clear that government would not allowanybody to benefit from proceeds of kidnap and other forms of crime, assuring that government was already winning the battle as the wave of kidnap across the state had drastically reduced.

He commended the police and other security agents fortheir sustained efforts to rid the state of criminals and hoodlums, assuring of continued government support to security operatives.
Deputy commissioner of police in charge of operations, Mr. Ayole Abeh, who accompanied the governor to Uli for the exercise, explained that the suspect confessed to being an armed robber and a kidnapper during interrogation

source http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/10/two-houses-belonging-to-kidnap-robbery-suspect-demolished-in-anambra/
Re: Anambra Demolishes Houses Of Kidnap, Robbery Suspect by PaulJohn1: 6:10am On Oct 25, 2012
Good move from Anambra state government. Demolishing their houses isn't a permanent solution, but making sure those kidnappers are nabbed.
They can at anytime build or buy another house so far they're still on the street.
Re: Anambra Demolishes Houses Of Kidnap, Robbery Suspect by isaco(m): 6:48am On Oct 25, 2012
Nice one
Re: Anambra Demolishes Houses Of Kidnap, Robbery Suspect by antontech(m): 7:06am On Oct 25, 2012
Saw it on tele yesterday,he even said he will revoke the land to becaome government own.The fight for kidnapping continues

Proudly Anambrarian

2 Likes

Re: Anambra Demolishes Houses Of Kidnap, Robbery Suspect by Tos87(m): 9:08am On Oct 25, 2012
nice one
Re: Anambra Demolishes Houses Of Kidnap, Robbery Suspect by phranco(m): 9:17am On Oct 25, 2012
Good move by gov Obi,at least it will serve as deterrant to other kidnap kingpin in the state.i was even surprise to hear that olisa ifejika a.k.a. Ofeakwu was dead.was he killed by the govt?
Re: Anambra Demolishes Houses Of Kidnap, Robbery Suspect by Birmingham(m): 9:18am On Oct 25, 2012
Mr. Governor, Please, kindly off the tap, open the outlet valve of the sink, prior cleaning up the overflown and wet kitchen floor.
Re: Anambra Demolishes Houses Of Kidnap, Robbery Suspect by GARRIx7(m): 9:32am On Oct 25, 2012
Demolishing the houses of "SUSPECTS"... Have they been proved guilty by a law court of competent jurisdiction??

Sounds like JUNGLE JUSTICE undecided undecided

2 Likes

Re: Anambra Demolishes Houses Of Kidnap, Robbery Suspect by Mkpotu(m): 9:35am On Oct 25, 2012
Those kind of people do not deserve to be alive, taking them to court is just to encourage the crime & they will go scot free by the time we start applying all principles of fair hearing.

To me that is what people like Senator Ndume, Ali Kondiga, Abdul Quaqa & those other Boko Kingpin deserve.

Good one from Mr. Obi, but Anambra esp Awka needs more Physical/infrastructural development. U have less than two years to bid farewell as Chief Executive Officer of the state, so engrave your name solidly in the good history book.
Re: Anambra Demolishes Houses Of Kidnap, Robbery Suspect by IMMUNO1(m): 9:36am On Oct 25, 2012
I commend Gov. Obi on his frantic efforts to eradicate crime in Anambra State. I also encourage him to deploy security personnels to Upper-Iweka fylover cos street gangs now use the opporturnity of the traffic hold up that exist their to disposess innocent citizens of their valuables.
Re: Anambra Demolishes Houses Of Kidnap, Robbery Suspect by Feraz(m): 9:44am On Oct 25, 2012
GARRI (x7):
Demolishing the houses of "SUSPECTS"... Have they been proved guilty by a law court of competent jurisdiction??

Ndoz:
Deputy commissioner of police in charge of operations, Mr. Ayole Abeh, who accompanied the governor to Uli for the exercise, explained that the suspect confessed to being an armed robber and a kidnapper during interrogation

source http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/10/two-houses-belonging-to-kidnap-robbery-suspect-demolished-in-anambra/
Re: Anambra Demolishes Houses Of Kidnap, Robbery Suspect by Nobody: 9:49am On Oct 25, 2012
When will Rochas do the same? I hear in my community anyone suspected in kidnapping business isn't spared.they burn down his house and all his property including cars.
Re: Anambra Demolishes Houses Of Kidnap, Robbery Suspect by liberty2010(m): 9:54am On Oct 25, 2012
[b][/b]
Ndoz: AWKA—TWO houses belonging to a suspected robbery and kidnap kingpin, Mr. Emeka Ezekude, were, yesterday, demolished at Umuatu, Uli in Ihiala local government area of Anambra State, with the people of the community commending Governor Peter Obi for the action.

One of the buildings, a nine-bedroom executive bungalow, was still at the finishing stage, while the other was a four bedroom bungalow.
Some people who spoke with Vanguard in the community, said the construction of the executivebungalow was begun barely fa ew months ago.

The suspect was said to belong to the notorious kidnap gang, led by the late Olisa Ifejika, alias Ofeakwu, whose mansions were demolished at Oraifite in Ekwusigo local government area two months ago.
Ifejika was said to have named Ezekude as a memberof his gang while being interrogated by the police and investigations led to the discovery of large quantity ofarms and ammunition in his house at Uli.

Ezekude, 40, married with five children, was said to be involved in the delivery of sand to building contractors, while his main business was armed robbery and kidnapping.

Items recovered from the house include one rocket grenade, three grenade propellers, two A.K. 47 rifles, zero six riffle, 27 A.K 47 magazines, 170 rounds of live ammunition and nine chains used in restraining kidnap victims. The arms andammunition were hidden underground in plastic containers in his premises.

Yesterday’s demolition brings to three the number of houses belonging to criminals pulled down in Anambra State.
Governor Peter Obi, who led the demolition yesterday, said it was part of the war against kidnapping and other crimes in the state, insisting that any building linked with kidnapping and armed robbery would be demolished.
He made it clear that government would not allowanybody to benefit from proceeds of kidnap and other forms of crime, assuring that government was already winning the battle as the wave of kidnap across the state had drastically reduced.

He commended the police and other security agents fortheir sustained efforts to rid the state of criminals and hoodlums, assuring of continued government support to security operatives.

smiley
Ndoz: AWKA—TWO houses belonging to a suspected robbery and kidnap kingpin, Mr. Emeka Ezekude, were, yesterday, demolished at Umuatu, Uli in Ihiala local government area of Anambra State, with the people of the community commending Governor Peter Obi for the action.

Re: Anambra Demolishes Houses Of Kidnap, Robbery Suspect by greall1: 9:55am On Oct 25, 2012
picture!!! picture!!! picture!!! picture!!! picture!!! picture!!!
Re: Anambra Demolishes Houses Of Kidnap, Robbery Suspect by OkwaIfugo(m): 9:58am On Oct 25, 2012
that's the only thing He has done good in Anambra that we have seen,
Re: Anambra Demolishes Houses Of Kidnap, Robbery Suspect by kingsceemark(m): 11:03am On Oct 25, 2012
GARRI (x7):

You won defend your members? Don't worry, you're the next target.

3 Likes

Re: Anambra Demolishes Houses Of Kidnap, Robbery Suspect by agent22: 11:31am On Oct 25, 2012
When will northern governor do this to there boko haram people and SW Govs to the ritualist n NRTW agberos
Re: Anambra Demolishes Houses Of Kidnap, Robbery Suspect by GARRIx7(m): 1:07pm On Oct 25, 2012
kingsceemark: You won defend your members? Don't worry, you're the next target.

Savagery in High places. They are suspects!!!
Have they been found guilty by a court of law??
I wonder what your definition of JUNGLE JUSTICE is??
Re: Anambra Demolishes Houses Of Kidnap, Robbery Suspect by kingsceemark(m): 1:25pm On Oct 25, 2012
GARRI (x7):

Savagery in High places. They are suspects!!!
Have they been found guilty by a court of law??
I wonder what your definition of JUNGLE JUSTICE is??
Keep on barking, you and your colleagues days are numbered. No more hiding place for you guys. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Anambra Demolishes Houses Of Kidnap, Robbery Suspect by GARRIx7(m): 3:32pm On Oct 25, 2012
kingsceemark: Keep on barking, you and your colleagues days are numbered. No more hiding place for you guys. grin grin

What a fo.ol!!
Re: Anambra Demolishes Houses Of Kidnap, Robbery Suspect by speeder(m): 3:39pm On Oct 25, 2012
kingsceemark: You won defend your members? Don't worry, you're the next target.
i feel u jor.
Re: Anambra Demolishes Houses Of Kidnap, Robbery Suspect by Allohrandy(m): 7:24pm On Oct 25, 2012
The act of demolishing suspected robbers and kidnapper house is wrong and unconstitutional.its only a court that has the right to pass judgment on a suspected criminal not a Governor or a Local government chairman.

1 Like

Re: Anambra Demolishes Houses Of Kidnap, Robbery Suspect by GARRIx7(m): 8:19pm On Oct 25, 2012
Allohrandy: The act of demolishing suspected robbers and kidnapper house is wrong and unconstitutional.its only a court that has the right to pass judgment on a suspected criminal not a Governor or a Local government chairman.

Thank God someone who's not ALUUCIOUS has finally seen this thread...
What the Governor did is JUNGLE JUSTICE...period.
I wonder how educated folks can support this act. They are innocent till proven guilty... Even when guilty, only the court can decide an appropriate punishment.
The Governor's action, no matter how popular is wrong, illegal and unconstitutional..
Re: Anambra Demolishes Houses Of Kidnap, Robbery Suspect by vascey(m): 8:48pm On Oct 25, 2012
I am from anambra and one of my own has been kidnapped in the past.

But this is no excuse for this level of lawlessness.

Questions:

- Have these persons been found guilty by a competent court? What happened to "innocent until proven guilty" by a court?

- is it part of the state law that accused/convicted kidnappers' houses be destroyed?

We must move past this level of "justice" if we want to move forward as a people. This level of highhandedness is just wrong. It equates to jungle justice. Yes, it is well intentioned but the approach is wrong.

Secondly, I will never support the destruction of resources. It is very easy to destroy but difficult to build. Will the Anambra state government tell me that no other use could be found for that house? Can it not be converted to a library to the millions of illetrate youths in my dear state? Can it not be converted to a youth development centre? Can it not be retained by the state as residential quarters for state officials? Can it not be rented out and be a form of revenue for the state? Can it not be given to the informants/police who aided the capture of these criminals? Why do we have to destroy when there are so many poor people who can make use of this resources.

Our flagarant disregard for resources is terrible especially when you remember that we are a 3rd world country with need for development. This can be compared to burning the money recovered from an corrupt official who embezzled public funds or proceeds of corruption. It is just wrong.

Our leaders need to put more thought into their actions. This is one of the reasons we are not moving forward.

My 2kobo.
Re: Anambra Demolishes Houses Of Kidnap, Robbery Suspect by vascey(m): 8:54pm On Oct 25, 2012
I am from anambra and one of my own has been kidnapped in the past.

Questions:

- Have these persons been found guilty by a competent court? What happened to "innocent until proven guilty" by a court?

- is it part of the state law that accused/convicted kidnappers' houses be destroyed?

We must move past this level of "justice" if we want to move forward as a people. This level of highhandedness is just wrong. It equates to jungle justice. Yes, it is well intentioned but the approach is wrong.

Secondly, I will never support the destruction of resources. It is very easy to destroy but difficult to build. Will the Anambra state government tell me that no other use could be found for that house? Can it not be converted to a library to the millions of illetrate youths in my dear state? Can it not be converted to a youth development centre? Can it not be retained by the state as residential quarters for state officials? Can it not be rented out and be a form of revenue for the state? Can it not be given to the informants/police who aided the capture of these criminals? Why do we have to destroy when there are so many poor people who can make use of this resources.

Our flagarant disregard for resources is terrible especially when you remember that we are a 3rd world country with need for development. This can be compared to burning the money recovered from an corrupt official who embezzled public funds or proceeds of corruption. It is just wrong.

Our leaders need to put more thought into their actions. This is one of the reasons we are not moving forward.

My 2kobo.
Re: Anambra Demolishes Houses Of Kidnap, Robbery Suspect by 2mch(m): 8:55pm On Oct 25, 2012
Why not sell the land or property and give the money to the victims? Why destroy a nice building?
Re: Anambra Demolishes Houses Of Kidnap, Robbery Suspect by Nobody: 7:50am On Oct 26, 2012
Allohrandy: The act of demolishing suspected robbers and kidnapper house is wrong and unconstitutional.its only a court that has the right to pass judgment on a suspected criminal not a Governor or a Local government chairman.

Did you listen to the EFCC boss recently on the Nigerian judiciary as hindrance to fighting corruption? I bet you did not. Unconstitutional? Tell that to Obama when he authorized the killing of Osama.

GARRI (x7):

Thank God someone who's not ALUUCIOUS has finally seen this thread...
What the Governor did is JUNGLE JUSTICE...period.
I wonder how educated folks can support this act. They are innocent till proven guilty... Even when guilty, only the court can decide an appropriate punishment.
The Governor's action, no matter how popular is wrong, illegal and unconstitutional..

Tell it to the people who will go to sleep now with their two eyes closed in anambra. History will rather not forgive the governor if he did nothing. He did something acceptable to the good people of his state, it may not be yet the best, but it is a starting point.

1 Like

Re: Anambra Demolishes Houses Of Kidnap, Robbery Suspect by Nobody: 8:11am On Oct 26, 2012
vascey: I am from anambra and one of my own has been kidnapped in the past.

Questions:

My 2kobo.

There was no need to post this twice, It's not the number of times its posted that makes the argument strong. The kidnappers in the state have got the message. Presently the kidnapping business in that state is on the low,a desperate situation arose and the governor had to act. You are concerned about destruction of property, well, sorry, I rather that land lies fallow than kidnappers have a field day in the state. 3rd world country you say, tell me the difference between the action of the governor and the action of the presidents of USA in killing Osama, invading Iraq, Afghanistan etc. That's a 1st world country remember. I hate to compare Nigeria with USA in anything at all, but you started it by not realizing that our Institutions especially Judiciary are not like theirs yet a governor has the responsibility of protecting his people. He has to do something, especially when he is beyond doubt, save the people and talk later about the process. Many of us are already like people in exile because of these evil men, now i see someone doing something about it with the legal security apparatus and i sit and condemn him or tie his hands with legality talks about a judiciary stinking of corruption... meanwhile the former appeal court president has he been re-instated? The houses were destroyed in overriding public Interest and that is constitutional.
Re: Anambra Demolishes Houses Of Kidnap, Robbery Suspect by cjrane: 9:44am On Oct 26, 2012
Step2002:

There was no need to post this twice, It's not the number of times its posted that makes the argument strong. The kidnappers in the state have got the message. Presently the kidnapping business in that state is on the low,a desperate situation arose and the governor had to act. You are concerned about destruction of property, well, sorry, I rather that land lies fallow than kidnappers have a field day in the state. 3rd world country you say, tell me the difference between the action of the governor and the action of the presidents of USA in killing Osama, invading Iraq, Afghanistan etc. That's a 1st world country remember. I hate to compare Nigeria with USA in anything at all, but you started it by not realizing that our Institutions especially Judiciary are not like theirs yet a governor has the responsibility of protecting his people. He has to do something, especially when he is beyond doubt, save the people and talk later about the process. Many of us are already like people in exile because of these evil men, now i see someone doing something about it with the legal security apparatus and i sit and condemn him or tie his hands with legality talks about a judiciary stinking of corruption... meanwhile the former appeal court president has he been re-instated? The houses were destroyed in overriding public Interest and that is constitutional.

My brother, don't mind them. Chief Zebrudaya calls this situation "You don't know who and who is around". Some of these folks protesting here might actually be the kidnappers themselves or the relatives of kidnappers.
Anambra people passed an anti Kidnapping law, which clearly state that the property of anyone caught in Kidnapping should be confiscated and the house demolished.To prevent such anti-social characters from benefiting from that crime whatsoever. What that governor has done is just applaud able.Any Kidnapper found to have property in the state know it is going down as simple as that. Let their faceless brothers and accomplices keep protesting hiding behind pages of newspapers. It won't change anything. The law has already been passed and signed into state law by the governor.

2 Likes

Re: Anambra Demolishes Houses Of Kidnap, Robbery Suspect by chinedum45(m): 11:29am On Oct 26, 2012
The judiciary is the only problem we have in Nigeria when it comes to fighting crime and corruption.
u recall Ibori's case? Our Judiciary vindicated him and he pleaded guilty in UK...
do u knw how long it takes our judiciary to settle cases? Go to courts and see cases of over 5years.
the police...efcc and others make arrests everyday and our judiciary keep adjourning cases everyday and in the end justice is not served.
as the governor it is his paramount obligation to protect his ppl and if this is a way towards achieving it? Am Ok with it.
thank u my governor.

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Owes NNPC N170b In Subsidy Payments / I Never Believed Buhari Is Fake Till I Saw This Photo / Plateau Group Accuses Tallen, Dimka, Others Of Being PDP Mole In APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.