Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,072 members, 7,828,787 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:12 PM

Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL (70099 Views)

Man Smashes His £100,000 BMW M6 In Protest About Car’s Reliability / Mercedes Benz C200 W202 Vs Honda Accord Ex I4 / Reliability Of Mercedes Benz C240/c320 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by auhanson(m): 8:03pm On Mar 29, 2013
smartchoice: DETAILED, THANKS AU.HANSON. IF YOU CAN STILL GET THE NAME/SPECIFIC PEUGEOT COMPRESSOR USED I'D APPREC8 IT.

The name is Sanden 507 model compressor..was able to go under and check it out today.

That of my 190 is sanden 508 model

cheers
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 8:19pm On Mar 29, 2013
Thanks cheers.

au.hanson:

The name is Sanden 507 model compressor..was able to go under and check it out today.

That of my 190 is sanden 508 model

cheers
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by auhanson(m): 9:09pm On Mar 29, 2013
A friend came to my house today being a public holiday and said, "catch you".. The sound of his w202 Benz c180 was so awful in the real sense of it, and the car was rough idling , couldn't even carry His ac anymore; despite the raising of his engine to about 1300 rpm. I asked him why He disgracing us Benz enthusiast by driving that kind of car? He lamented that he doesn't have the kind of money His mechanic told him to bring to buy new nuzzles, actuator etc; everything rounded up to about 40,000.00. So the guy has to pad some cables and padding on the throttle body as well as raise the rpm just for him to manage driving His Benz.

To cut the long story short, i decided to check his MAF, clean it up. uninstall His actuator body(what you would call the throttle body)and did a thorough cleaning on it. In less than 1hour, i put everything back in place and install back the throttle body , crank the engine and the rev went to about 3500rpm. I put off the engine, came back to the actuator(the throttle body) adjusted the vertical long metal behind it in a clockwise direction for about 7 rounds(7 full turnings), crank the engine again and adjusted the throttle cable, the rev went down to about 1000 rpm and later drop to 900 rpm on idling, the idling became so smooth but with very little ups.he was astonished..i wasn't satisfy. i went back to it with a 5 alen key, open up the plugs chamber clean up the dame plugs and put them back, went to the MAF, removed the air filter and took it to a vulcaniser to blow off the dust with their air pressure equipment .I brought it and install back to his car and turn up the ignition, the engine came alive with sweet melody at 1000 rpm but later drop down to about 800 rpm with smooth idling. He put on the ac, the revving drop down to 650 rpm but stabilises at 700 rpm. I revved the car to about 3500 rpm and released my leg from throttle plate, it drops to about 400 rpm and return back to 700 rpm without going off while the ac on; i turn the steering to the extreme left and to the extreme right, the car didn't go off, i told him , 'your ride is in order'. He shouted and confess that the revving has always pull down to nothing less down 6000 rpm when he put on the ac(i.e if the revving was at 1200 rpm , once the load from ac comes up it will drop to 5000 rpm and would off the engine on revving to anything high or breaking and clutching to select gear, thats why the revving is kept at 7000 rpm and he rarely uses the ac ). I asked him if he did not noticed increase fuel consumption ,he said he does but there's nothing he could do

He took it out for testing with his air conditioner on and came back with a bottle of wine, we celebrated together. i was then moved to do some preventive maintenance too on my own machine since today is a public holiday, at least let me give my ride a treat. so i went down to business on my Benz C180 too and later my Benz 190, just to keep them lively; needless to say my car idles at 500 rpm even when the ac is put on, and may atimes drop to 400 rpm and back again and hardly goes off except i miscluthed, since i am new to this clutching thing,. i have been driving automatic before now.

We are suppose to run these cars (1.8L)Benz with unleaded fuel( that is fuel that has additives to take care of the carbon building up in the system , but unfortunately in Nigeria , we buy anything as fuel , as there is no classified fuel over here . So this carbon build up atimes to cause all these problems including rough idling. This is very perculiar with Benz ride of this model, that is why those of you who goes for scanning would receive error code P0171, 0174, 0172, 0175(codes set with regard to fuel trim malfunctions in German and American cars. So it is good to periodically do this preventive maintenance on your Benz ride

3 Likes

Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by yungboss(m): 9:30pm On Mar 29, 2013
^^^ that was nice bro, good to read this. My two cars do not drop significantly on the rpm when i turn on the air conditioner, my e36 1993 idles at about 800rpm, when i turn on the ac, it barely alters the rpm, it's almost the same, same as the other car. I think going as low as 400 is uncharacteristic of the c class...i used a c220, and i had that experience on the car..do you have something like a hydraulic shock absorber in the engine?
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by auhanson(m): 9:57pm On Mar 29, 2013
yungboss: ^^^ that was nice bro, good to read this. My two cars do not drop significantly on the rpm when i turn on the air conditioner, my e36 1993 idles at about 800rpm, when i turn on the ac, it barely alters the rpm, it's almost the same, same as the other car. I think going as low as 400 is uncharacteristic of the c class...i used a c220, and i had that experience on the car..do you have something like a hydraulic shock absorber in the engine?

Thanks man. However, not only mine does this,my neighbours w203 c200 kompressor, and w202 c280 stays at 500rpm too. His w203 c200 goes up to 600 when when he put on the air conditioner, but his w202 c280 remains at 500rpm when engaged the ac, atimes drop to 400 rpm and back up again

I don't know if you are asking of the engine shock at the front, behind the pulleys? , yes i do
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by yungboss(m): 10:56pm On Mar 29, 2013
au.hanson:

Thanks man. However, not only mine does this,my neighbours w203 c200 kompressor, and w202 c280 stays at 500rpm too. His w203 c200 goes up to 600 when when he put on the air conditioner, but his w202 c280 remains at 500rpm when engaged the ac, atimes drop to 400 rpm and back up again

I don't know if you are asking of the engine shock at the front, behind the pulleys? , yes i do
exactly what i'm asking. At a time that was the culprit...my mechanic had to change it...
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 10:58pm On Mar 29, 2013
what were the symptoms?

yungboss:
exactly what i'm asking. At a time that was the culprit...my mechanic had to change it...
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by auhanson(m): 11:28pm On Mar 29, 2013
Trac:
If it was not fitted with an air-conditioner, there are variables to consider but you cannot usurp the heating/cooling specification for the engine.

Please what are these variables? I was expecting a direction on this. You can't imagine how much i want to change this cooling system back to factory, if i can get it power source. I wouldn't even mind replacing it ,if it was removed.
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 3:21pm On Mar 31, 2013
oil from top cylinder breather pipe what can be the cause?
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by auhanson(m): 12:53am On Apr 03, 2013
Trac:
The two electrical fans are not designed to come on at the conditions you are stating

There are also many issues you will face but that is completely irrelevant. If it was not fitted with an air-conditioner, there are variables to consider but you cannot usurp the heating/cooling specification for the engine.

au.hanson:

Please what are these variables? I was expecting a direction on this. You can't imagine how much i want to change this cooling system back to factory, if i can get it power source. I wouldn't even mind replacing it ,if it was removed.

Hello Trac, don't tell me that you've thrown in the towel just yet, remember this is scientific argument, a lot of people would learn a thing or two from here. This is your profession; i am only practicing an hobby here but must practice it very well, just like i did in; photography; videoing and in systems repairs. We must come to a logical conclusion. Maybe i could be wrong, even Mercedes Benz could be wrong and may have reviewed this in their subsequent models; could be the reason why w203 has just one but effective fan system that fans from outside via the condensing coils to the radiator system; could even be the reason why they have failing compressors. Auto world do recall vehicles from their engineering errors, Mercedes Benz can't be an exception; may have done so too at one time or the other; and should have done so too with their wire hareness, no doubt about these. Don't vouch for them. But let's reason things together scientifically and logically too.

Maybe my own car didn't come with an ac system just like my Benz 190 because i didn't see the fan control module , or it may have been removed, but i'm confidence that i can still replace it that not withstanding.But let's reason these first of all; please do not ignore these and take me through literature again, but let's be practical.

However, the fact remains that when you start the engine, "let it reach normal operating temperature and then turn the A/C on. The cooling fan in the engine compartment should turn on to pull air through the radiator and A/C condenser. On many vehicles, there may be two fans: a main cooling fan(viscous fan) for the radiator, and a second fan(electrical fan(s)) for the condenser. Both fans should come on when the A/C is on".

"If one or both fans failed to come on, the lack of additional cooling provided by the fan may cause poor A/C cooling performance, and it may cause the A/C compressor to overheat and fail. The engine may also run too hot and overheat, too". This is my argument.

But i want to here from you the other variables to consider..and the other issues that you said i may face, though you termed them as irrelevant?

thanks in anticipation for your response
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by jahjehova(m): 2:19pm On Apr 04, 2013
@all: Pls I need help

I travelled to abuja where I changed my brakepads 4 d four wheels. As I was coming back, I noticed d brake pedal vibrated as I steped on it. Immediately, the ETS & ABS lights came on, The speedometer failed, cruise control dosent work anymore. Scary part is dat d lights turn off attimes but then come back on.

One mecho says its d master brake. NUEL autos say its d wheel speed sensor. Please any idea from the house?

I help ASAP. Cant imagine driving without traction control and ABS.

Service manual and owners manual also needed. Mine is german. Tanx.

I can be reached at

deleonipede@gmail.com
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by auhanson(m): 1:00pm On Apr 05, 2013
jahjehova: @all: Pls I need help

I travelled to abuja where I changed my brakepads 4 d four wheels. As I was coming back, I noticed d brake pedal vibrated as I steped on it. Immediately, the ETS & ABS lights came on, The speedometer failed, cruise control dosent work anymore. Scary part is dat d lights turn off attimes but then come back on.

One mecho says its d master brake. NUEL autos say its d wheel speed sensor. Please any idea from the house?

I help ASAP. Cant imagine driving without traction control and ABS.

Service manual and owners manual also needed. Mine is german. Tanx.

I can be reached at
deleonipede@gmail.com

You didn't mention the make and model of your car.
However, did the mechanic who installed your brake pads plug back your ABS sensor? If not make sure that is dusted properly and plugged back; Before he could remove the brake pad he had to unplug the the ABS sensor to make way, and that must be plugged back properly depending on the model of your Benz.

For the speedometer,cruise control light etc to malfunction, that is a coincidence. what you could do there is to check your instrument cluster, if possible uninstall the entire instrument cluster, remove the glass casing and clean the speedometer pins with spirit, do same to all other pins there about 2 to 3 times.This must be handled very carefully, you can hire the service of a very meticulous technician to do that for you, if you cant handled it. I did mine, the manual type and my neighbours, the digital type, though His wasn't easy, but they all worked.If you need my guide i can guide you with pictures at my spare time. Make sure you dust everywhere there very well and install it back, that could work.If yours is digital, i would prefer a very good watch repairer to handle it for you, i only had to work on my neighbours own, the digital,as the last resort after having combed the market tirelessly and installed 17 malfunction ones.
Good luck

Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by jahjehova(m): 6:23pm On Apr 05, 2013
au.hanson:

However, did the mechanic who installed your brake pads plug back your ABS sensor? If not make sure that is dusted properly and plugged back; Before he could remove the brake pad he had to unplug the the ABS sensor to make way, and that must be plugged back properly depending on the model of your Benz.

For the speedometer,cruise control light etc to malfunction, that is a coincidence. what you could do there is to check your instrument cluster, if possible uninstall the entire instrument cluster, remove the glass casing and clean the speedometer pins with spirit, do same to all other pins there about 2 to 3 times.This must be handled very carefully, you can hire the service of a very meticulous technician to do that for you, if you cant handled it. I did mine, the manual type and my neighbours, the digital type, though His wasn't easy, but they all worked.If you need my guide i can guide you with pictures at my spare time. Make sure you dust everywhere there very well and install it back, that could work.If yours is digital, i would prefer a very good watch repairer to handle it for you, i only had to work on my neighbours own, the digital,as the last resort after having combed the market tirelessly and installed 17 malfunction ones.
Good luck

Sorry my my oversight. Its a 1995 C220, auto.

It gets worse. I had a mecho clean the wheel speed sensor thinking it might be the fault. On leaving the shop, the lights were still on, worse still, the speedometer aint lifting up anymore not to talk of malfunction. The mileage meter is also dead.

I just hope by cleaning the sensor, I have not "eaten the adams apple".

As per the ETS & ABS lights, I stumbled on this : www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1261869-i-need-help-my-abs-ets.html .

Pls can U verify?

Thanks
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by jahjehova(m): 9:25pm On Apr 05, 2013
au.hanson:

Good luck
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by auhanson(m): 10:44pm On Apr 05, 2013
jahjehova:

Sorry my my oversight. Its a 1995 C220, auto.

It gets worse. I had a mecho clean the wheel speed sensor thinking it might be the fault. On leaving the shop, the lights were still on, worse still, the speedometer aint lifting up anymore not to talk of malfunction. The mileage meter is also dead.

I just hope by cleaning the sensor, I have not "eaten the adams apple".

As per the ETS & ABS lights, I stumbled on this : www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1261869-i-need-help-my-abs-ets.html .

Pls can U verify?

Thanks

You've done nothing wrong in cleaning the sensor.I think that sensor has to do with tachometer if not mistaken.
What you've got here "www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1261869-i-need-help-my-abs-ets.html " is good
Remember the first person talked about changing the switch, and the second talked about replacing the battery, and the 3rd talk about the switch and faulty tail light assembly. for the other person, neither the battery nor the switch would work for him; who knows if his tail light assembly is faulty? sometimes they may be different solutions for different persons, just like in my own case that cleaning the instrument cluster help the matter. Some may apply 1 solution, some 2 etc.

If i were you, i will first test the battery with a multimeter to determine if the treshold has dropped to 10 volt. In fact, if it even drop below 12 volt i will swap with another battery whose threshold has not gone below 12 volts(my batteries in both cars of mine gives me reading above 12 volts, sometimes 13 volts, and i have a battery charger at home which i charge them if i wouldn't use one car for an extended period) to test and eliminate this aspect.

If the problem still persist, i will further change the switch as explained with an oem switch, but before then, test the switch for continuity with a multimmeter. Physically, you may try pressing the switch with your fingers on both ends while listening to the sound it produces;
you can check out this here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWRbt_Luj-o

Also, If this wouldnt work, dont give up yet; you could check the output speed sensor on the universal/differential casing; Do physical examination on it; if it is bad, replace it: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w202-c-class/1423943-rear-speed-sensor-replacement-diy.html

If all these doesn't work,which i believe it should, i'll take the machine for scanning and note the error code before i try another repair

Goodluck

1 Like

Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Trac: 11:55pm On Apr 05, 2013
au.hanson:

This is a question Siena will have to answer. I cannot give a complete answer to this. Appeal to him and he will get to you with quality details.

au.hanson:

Hello Trac, don't tell me that you've thrown in the towel just yet, remember this is scientific argument, a lot of people would learn a thing or two from here. This is your profession; i am only practicing an hobby here but must practice it very well, just like i did in; photography; videoing and in systems repairs. We must come to a logical conclusion. Maybe i could be wrong, even Mercedes Benz could be wrong and may have reviewed this in their subsequent models; could be the reason why w203 has just one but effective fan system that fans from outside via the condensing coils to the radiator system; could even be the reason why they have failing compressors. Auto world do recall vehicles from their engineering errors, Mercedes Benz can't be an exception; may have done so too at one time or the other; and should have done so too with their wire hareness, no doubt about these. Don't vouch for them. But let's reason things together scientifically and logically too.

Maybe my own car didn't come with an ac system just like my Benz 190 because i didn't see the fan control module , or it may have been removed, but i'm confidence that i can still replace it that not withstanding.But let's reason these first of all; please do not ignore these and take me through literature again, but let's be practical.

However, the fact remains that when you start the engine, "let it reach normal operating temperature and then turn the A/C on. The cooling fan in the engine compartment should turn on to pull air through the radiator and A/C condenser. On many vehicles, there may be two fans: a main cooling fan(viscous fan) for the radiator, and a second fan(electrical fan(s)) for the condenser. Both fans should come on when the A/C is on".

"If one or both fans failed to come on, the lack of additional cooling provided by the fan may cause poor A/C cooling performance, and it may cause the A/C compressor to overheat and fail. The engine may also run too hot and overheat, too". This is my argument.

But i want to here from you the other variables to consider..and the other issues that you said i may face, though you termed them as irrelevant?

thanks in anticipation for your response

Hanson, I did not ignore you. I don't work on cars for a living. If I'm not mistaken, I believe you once disclosed you did systems-engineering. When you mate ferrous iron and aluminum under applied load and heat, what would you conclude? You don't need to be an engineer to figure this out. You don't know much about the car. This is why you have people dedicated to German cars and Mercedes.

I'll begin tackling from here. The setup you are fooling with has been since the 50's or 60's and it is still in use today. The day before yesterday, I came across a 60's or late 70's S Class (showroom clean) with the air-conditioner running. The owner never complained about cooling. You cannot improve a Mercedes engine; it's an industry fact. Out of the box, you are given the best for its intended purpose. If you have wide-changes as oppose to the factory setup, you need a qualified mechanic to restore it to factory settings. If the vehicle did not come fitted with air-conditioning, there are certain things to be done but you cannot alter the fan/cooling setup. To make reference to what an auto-reviewer concluded is disappointing. The Stuttgart engineers knew what they designed. The engine was over-engineered. This is from a company that spent [at the time] one million Deutsche Marks a day in research alone to partly make the construction of what you have possible. I am referring to 1980's Deutsche Marks. Then some reviewer without any technical background has an opinion on what "someone" should have done.

The fans will not fail unless you are messing with it. Nobody worries about these things. If it is failing, you will know. Where you are wrong is that you are comparing other motors to the Mercedes motor. They are not designed the same way.

For a Merc to be long-lasting, everything must be factory. This is a fact. Any Mercedes enthusiast or authorised service agent will verify this.

You can bank on Siena to help you with the A/C retrofit. I can't give you fragmented information. He has the resource to assist you. For Mercedes specific details, he will pin-point it to you. My experience with a non-factory installed A/C was my dad's last Benz. It was bought from Germany but came with a heater and no A/C. The engineer that bought the car knew of this fact and a lot was changes were done and compensations made. It wasn't just "slapping" a compressor to it. It was a quintessential job - not what you are doing.
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by pafestula(m): 9:37am On Apr 06, 2013
Hello my fellow Mercedes Benz users, am also a freak to German Technologies, am one of the fans to the D!ck, I av successfully used 2 Mercedes Benz in the past... 190 E, 2001 model C Class, and presently using 2009 E350, which I fondly calls "WIZARD". With my outstanding performances and output with Mecedes Benz, one of my friend who is Jap auto freak is planning to join the Benz crew, which he is planning to give 1998 C Class (NIG USED) a trial.
The questions now are:-
1. The one is planning to get has done 260,000 mileage... Any wrong signal with that?
2. What are the possible pros and cons to experience along the line with this mileage?
3. The benz is well maintained by the owner, and he said N650k last price, though the A/c is working fine, auto transmission is still good, the car has good regular service history, pls NL is 650k good for the car?.. Please I want your views on this questions, before the payment next week, he took me to see the car, I dont want him to regret, or say I advised him wrongly. Thanks.. Keep the comments coming please.
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by auhanson(m): 12:23am On Apr 07, 2013
Trac:

Anyways, thanks for your response

1 Like

Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 9:03am On Apr 08, 2013
https://www.nairaland.com/1248328/sweet-benz-c-280-sale

check this thread and decide if a 9ja used is worth 650k...did the user buy it new not toks?

pafestula: Hello my fellow Mercedes Benz users, am also a freak to German Technologies, am one of the fans to the D!ck, I av successfully used 2 Mercedes Benz in the past... 190 E, 2001 model C Class, and presently using 2009 E350, which I fondly calls "WIZARD". With my outstanding performances and output with Mecedes Benz, one of my friend who is Jap auto freak is planning to join the Benz crew, which he is planning to give 1998 C Class (NIG USED) a trial.
1. The one is planning to get has done 260,000 mileage... Any wrong signal with that?
2. What are the possible pros and cons to experience along the line with this mileage?
3. The benz is well maintained by the owner, and he said N650k last price, though the A/c is working fine, auto transmission is still good, the car has good regular service history, pls NL is 650k good for the car?.. Please I want your views on this questions, before the payment next week, he took me to see the car, I dont want him to regret, or say I advised him wrongly. Thanks.. Keep the comments coming please.
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by pafestula(m): 11:22am On Apr 08, 2013
smartchoice: https://www.nairaland.com/1248328/sweet-benz-c-280-sale

check this thread and decide if a 9ja used is worth 650k...did the user buy it new not toks?

Grade one Tokz from Germany, and he bought 2008 then. But well maintained to be sincere.
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by abdulkadir(m): 6:33am On Apr 10, 2013
smartchoice: https://www.nairaland.com/1248328/sweet-benz-c-280-sale

in my location a naija used w202/c280 would nt cost more than 400k no matter how good but lower variants could cost as much as 600k. In my opinion it might be a gd deal especially when you know the maintenance history.
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 9:56am On Apr 10, 2013
my thoughts given the clear history...but utility is SUBJECTIVE!

abdulkadir:

in my location a naija used w202/c280 would nt cost more than 400k no matter how good but lower variants could cost as much as 600k. In my opinion it might be a gd deal especially when you know the maintenance history.
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by abdulkadir(m): 2:45pm On Apr 11, 2013
smartchoice: my thoughts given the clear history...but utility is SUBJECTIVE!

yeah
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 9:38pm On Apr 15, 2013
au.hanson:
A friend came to my house today being a public holiday and said, "catch you".. The sound of his w202 Benz c180 was so awful in the real sense of it, and the car was rough idling , couldn't even carry His ac anymore; despite the raising of his engine to about 1300 rpm. I asked him why He disgracing us Benz enthusiast by driving that kind of car? He lamented that he doesn't have the kind of money His mechanic told him to bring to buy new nuzzles, actuator etc; everything rounded up to about 40,000.00. So the guy has to pad some cables and padding on the throttle body as well as raise the rpm just for him to manage driving His Benz.

To cut the long story short, i decided to check his MAF, clean it up. uninstall His actuator body(what you would call the throttle body)and did a thorough cleaning on it. In less than 1hour, i put everything back in place and install back the throttle body , crank the engine and the rev went to about 3500rpm. I put off the engine, came back to the actuator(the throttle body) adjusted the vertical long metal behind it in a clockwise direction for about 7 rounds(7 full turnings), crank the engine again and adjusted the throttle cable, the rev went down to about 1000 rpm and later drop to 900 rpm on idling, the idling became so smooth but with very little ups.he was astonished..i wasn't satisfy. i went back to it with a 5 alen key, open up the plugs chamber clean up the dame plugs and put them back, went to the MAF, removed the air filter and took it to a vulcaniser to blow off the dust with their air pressure equipment .I brought it and install back to his car and turn up the ignition, the engine came alive with sweet melody at 1000 rpm but later drop down to about 800 rpm with smooth idling. He put on the ac, the revving drop down to 650 rpm but stabilises at 700 rpm. I revved the car to about 3500 rpm and released my leg from throttle plate, it drops to about 400 rpm and return back to 700 rpm without going off while the ac on; i turn the steering to the extreme left and to the extreme right, the car didn't go off, i told him , 'your ride is in order'. He shouted and confess that the revving has always pull down to nothing less down 6000 rpm when he put on the ac(i.e if the revving was at 1200 rpm , once the load from ac comes up it will drop to 5000 rpm and would off the engine on revving to anything high or breaking and clutching to select gear, thats why the revving is kept at 7000 rpm and he rarely uses the ac ). I asked him if he did not noticed increase fuel consumption ,he said he does but there's nothing he could do

He took it out for testing with his air conditioner on and came back with a bottle of wine, we celebrated together. i was then moved to do some preventive maintenance too on my own machine since today is a public holiday, at least let me give my ride a treat. so i went down to business on my Benz C180 too and later my Benz 190, just to keep them lively; needless to say my car idles at 500 rpm even when the ac is put on, and may atimes drop to 400 rpm and back again and hardly goes off except i miscluthed, since i am new to this clutching thing,. i have been driving automatic before now.

We are suppose to run these cars (1.8L)Benz with unleaded fuel( that is fuel that has additives to take care of the carbon building up in the system , but unfortunately in Nigeria , we buy anything as fuel , as there is no classified fuel over here . So this carbon build up atimes to cause all these problems including rough idling. This is very perculiar with Benz ride of this model, that is why those of you who goes for scanning would receive error code P0171, 0174, 0172, 0175(codes set with regard to fuel trim malfunctions in German and American cars. So it is good to periodically do this preventive maintenance on your Benz ride
interesting to know..... wish you can handle mine.
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 9:57pm On Apr 15, 2013
pafestula: Hello my fellow Mercedes Benz users, am also a freak to German Technologies, am one of the fans to the D!ck, I av successfully used 2 Mercedes Benz in the past... 190 E, 2001 model C Class, and presently using 2009 E350, which I fondly calls "WIZARD". With my outstanding performances and output with Mecedes Benz, one of my friend who is Jap auto freak is planning to join the Benz crew, which he is planning to give 1998 C Class (NIG USED) a trial.
quite high at the price.
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 2:59pm On Apr 18, 2013
Peeps pinging C180 engine under acceleration ...any ideas?
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by matson: 8:36am On Apr 27, 2013
The AC-off button in my 2003 c240 stays on, and this is preventing cool air from the vent. Any suggestions? I have tried running a reset but no cool air comes out during the reset circle.
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by auhanson(m): 10:54am On Apr 27, 2013
smartchoice: Peeps pinging C180 engine under acceleration ...any ideas?

If i may understand your slangs SmartChoice, you mean sudden slow or poor acceleration bar?

If so,then your oxygen sensor needs replacement: Its your O2 sensor that signals your computer(ECU) how rich or lean your engine should burn proportionate mixture of fuel and air. If they are faulty , your engine will likely run too rich or lean which leads to unburn fuel going through catalytic converter leading to poor acceleration and fuel consumption. Replace this cheap components and all will be well. Then remember to clean the carbon it would have accumulated on your actuator body and also on your plugs due to non premium fuel usage(unleaded fuel)..Inshort, cleaning these 2 alone can improve your performance greatly while yet to change your O2 sensor.
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 12:53pm On Apr 27, 2013
Thanks Au Hanson. However I must confess that the vacuum lines have been removed ..after a fire incident destroyed them.
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by matson: 1:38pm On Apr 27, 2013
matson: The AC-off button in my 2003 c240 stays on, and this is preventing cool air from the vent. Any suggestions? I have tried running a reset but no cool air comes out during the reset circle.

Any help with this?
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by auhanson(m): 9:40pm On Apr 27, 2013
smartchoice: Thanks Au Hanson. However I must confess that the vacuum lines have been removed ..after a fire incident destroyed them.

Oh! Oh! sorry dear, what happened? make sure u replace them, u cud find them cheap at the after market.In that case i think you should also check your plug cables after replacing the vacumm lines, the fire may have affected them and they may not be delivering well enough-i had this experience with my 190 when i mistakenly left it steaming overnight till the engine oil burnt and turn black; i had to replace all the plugs cable with the aftermarket before i could get my baby sound as good again. Sorry for the fire incidence

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Keke Napep With Plasma Screen TV In Asaba[photos] / Lady Meets Snake While Coming Down From Her Husband's Car, Then This Happened / Nigerians Saw A Self-Driving Car For The First Time & Mobbed The Car (Pic,Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.