Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,514 members, 7,812,600 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:59 PM

Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL (69897 Views)

Man Smashes His £100,000 BMW M6 In Protest About Car’s Reliability / Mercedes Benz C200 W202 Vs Honda Accord Ex I4 / Reliability Of Mercedes Benz C240/c320 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 6:09am On Apr 28, 2013
Thanks ...
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 6:11am On Apr 28, 2013
Thanks. Had a mishap between Àbaji and Gwagwalada that resulted into bursted fuel lines .... however the mechanics blocked the vacuum 2 vacuum lines leading to the airfilter. I will try to get the after market one's. However I notice a misfire at idle.
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by auhanson(m): 4:03pm On Apr 28, 2013
smartchoice: Thanks. Had a mishap between Àbaji and Gwagwalada that resulted into bursted fuel lines .... however the mechanics blocked the vacuum 2 vacuum lines leading to the airfilter. I will try to get the after market one's. However I notice a misfire at idle.

Ok! Did u mean to say, "2 vacuum lines leading to the combustion chamber(i.e. where u have the actuator)"? Then, if so, i dnt think u have any issue: Those vacuum lines brings down idling to normalcy in a way;with them blocked u cud have misfiring; once u replace them everything gonna be alright. Take care
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 6:59pm On Apr 28, 2013
Thank you. Will give feedback after restoring the vacuum lines.
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by auhanson(m): 9:13pm On Apr 28, 2013
matson:

Any help with this?

Ac problems may be difficult to diagnose online,its best done on site, but see these for your guide: http://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/362028-how-reset-deactivated-c.html
http://www.eclassbenz.com/2010/02/how-to-diagnose-air-conditioning-malfunctions/
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by auhanson(m): 9:24pm On Apr 28, 2013
smartchoice: Thank you. Will give feedback after restoring the vacuum lines.
Alright then, have a wonderful week ahead
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by matson: 9:22pm On Apr 29, 2013
au.hanson:

Ac problems may be difficult to diagnose online,its best done on site, but see these for your guide: http://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/362028-how-reset-deactivated-c.html
http://www.eclassbenz.com/2010/02/how-to-diagnose-air-conditioning-malfunctions/

Thanks for the links, really helpful. I ordered an OBD2 bluetooth adapter which I intend using with Torque, hopefully, I can use it to clear the error and refil the gas.
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by auhanson(m): 1:34am On Apr 30, 2013
matson:

Thanks for the links, really helpful. I ordered an OBD2 bluetooth adapter which I intend using with Torque, hopefully, I can use it to clear the error and refil the gas.

Good! But note one thing too; be careful that you buy the the recommended original refrigerant for your benz..very many fake ones are available in the market
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by matson: 8:36am On Apr 30, 2013
You are right. I only found out recently after a refill about 3/4weeks ago. Is there any harm in letting out the refrigerant and do a refill?
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by matson: 10:34am On May 02, 2013
Cleared errors and did refill. A/C working fine. Thanks for your contribution.
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 11:29am On May 02, 2013
Can you post the picture of an original one

au.hanson:

Good! But note one thing too; be careful that you buy the the recommended original refrigerant for your benz..very many fake ones are available in the market
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 7:15am On May 20, 2013
had mega troubles with my C class through out last week....jerking and going off after few minutes of driving. well i want to share so other Benz enthusiasts can benefit. But bear in mind that Mercedes is not a problem car....not at all!
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by auhanson(m): 12:24am On May 22, 2013
Hey sorry, i have just seen this now. I will if i am chance to go to the shops again, Its very far from me.But the can may not be much different but the price. The original is pricey

smartchoice: Can you post the picture of an original one

Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by auhanson(m): 12:26am On May 22, 2013
No harm, sorry i am seeing this late.
matson: You are right. I only found out recently after a refill about 3/4weeks ago. Is there any harm in letting out the refrigerant and do a refill?
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 7:53pm On May 22, 2013
smartchoice: Thank you. Will give feedback after restoring the vacuum lines.

vacuum restored rpm now stays on 1000 when warm.
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by auhanson(m): 11:30pm On May 27, 2013
you can achieve 700 if you clean up carbon deposit form from non premium fuel usage off your system: the plugs, the actuator, the pvc etc, hence better MPG if you readjust your actuator vetical rod. It might rise initially to 1000 and above but would settle at 700rpm when at 87 degrees celcious. My neighbour achieve 500 with his c280 and cw203 c200 kompressor..I use to achive that too with my c180, but because of the undesirable dragging effect(it use to be like driving a trailer) when loaded with AC and coccupants at hold up, i decided to step it up to 700 rpm

smartchoice:
vacuum restored rpm now stays on 1000 when warm.

1 Like

Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 5:38am On May 28, 2013
which one is actuator vertical rod?
au.hanson:
you can achieve 700 if you clean your system well: the plugs, the actuator, the pvc etc, hence better MPG if you readjust your actuator vetical rod. It might rise initially to 1000 and above but wold settle at 700 when warm

Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by auhanson(m): 10:34am On May 28, 2013
maybe i am not using the right word here, its that vertical adjustment rod behind the actuator that controls RPM

This link that i help someone will explain better what i am trying to express: http://mercedesforum.com/forum/mercedes-c-class-10/1995-c220-idles-too-high-52939/#post162369

smartchoice: which one is actuator vertical rod?
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by otoidea(m): 8:26pm On May 28, 2013
after reading all the posts in this thread i think i have come to the right place with my benz wahala

i have a 2004 c240. the ESP and SRS faults are showing.had the ESP since i bought the car .. but the SRS just comes on goes randomly... currently its been on for 2 days,..

one time the ESP webt off after i did the wheel alignment. since then i have change the lower arm and the car needs alignment again as the steering is a bit off... im guessing that would fix the ESP fault...

ok now all that above is just to give an overview of the other scoin scoin the car has...

my main concern is with the fan blowing very loud and constantly when i have the AC on.
one time in traffic a fault something bout undervoltage consumer defective with a battery sign came up... i switched off the AC and after a few mins the fault went off.

recently the switch/censor just under the radiator was discovered to have some cut wires which has been fixed but it didnt have any effect on the fan problem
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 4:52pm On Jun 02, 2013
@OTOIDEA SCAN YOUR CAR WITH A BENZ TOOL
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 9:53am On Jun 16, 2013
for lovers of w202 c180 I will like to share a link on a restoration work being done presently on a w202 C180...happy viewing

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/bodywork/151108-my-w202-restoration.html

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by auhanson(m): 8:45pm On Jun 23, 2013
Hey smart choice , how is your rpm now?
au.hanson:
maybe i am not using the right word here, its that vertical adjustment rod behind the actuator that controls RPM

This link that i help someone will explain better what i am trying to express: http://mercedesforum.com/forum/mercedes-c-class-10/1995-c220-idles-too-high-52939/#post162369

Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 9:46pm On Jun 23, 2013
au.hanson:

Hey smart choice , how is your rpm now?
Fixed on 1000. Flaky actuator wires. Intend to change the actuator first before readjustment
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 3:58pm On Jun 24, 2013
au.hanson:

No, its a 4 cyl engine(American Spec with performance Carsound 94006 2.5 in. cat double exhaust pipe) but very tight, i dnt let no one tamper with it, i maintain it well with direct belgium spares to replace any worn out part and make sure everything is in place, even the tiniest rubber, all yr round for 6 yrs now.see the attachmentt below
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by auhanson(m): 5:58pm On Jun 26, 2013
smartchoice:
Fixed on 1000. Flaky actuator wires. Intend to change the actuator first before readjustment

Well! 1000 is not bad..The actuator is about 10- 15k in the aftermarket, i have a spare one in my boot as backup
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 9:14pm On Jun 26, 2013
not too bad,but rpm goes down with ac on n stays down.
au.hanson:

Well! 1000 is not bad..The actuator is about 10- 15k in the aftermarket, i have a spare one in my boot as backup
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by auhanson(m): 1:17am On Jun 29, 2013
smartchoice: not too bad,but rpm goes down with ac on n stays down.

Then you have a little problem there, what many would always overlook.

Let me tell you my latest experience, i travelled from PH to Calabar as usual, then the following day from Calabar to Eket and back to Calabar again same day almost at Calabar at about 11:56 pm, my car off on the highway and wouldn't come up again. In the morning, i got 20 litres of fuel filled up the tank cos i knew exactly what it was, and the car started again and took me to my destination, where i drop the tank( the most painful work i have ever done in my life with this car asi had to drop the exhaust pipe , the propeller and the two rear cambers and the back tyres, my father was just looking at me with surprise and just concluded that i have trashed the car)and wash it with thinner till it was white clean, behold i got so much impurities and rusty kind of colouration like the rubber tank was a metal that got rusted. the in-tank filter was blocked, i couldnt blow it before i flushed with the thinner.

I install back the tank and every dame thing under it, it took me and my junior one who was giving a helping hand almost the whole day to finish this. I decided to embark on my journey again to Eket that evening , i crank the car put on the ac the rpm did not only shoot to 800(than my usual 700) but remain there, unlike before it would have dropped by about 100 or 150. So what am i trying to express; how long have you washed your tank..i have never washed mind since i bought the car; neither has that car tank has ever been loosen before.

Several things can cause that; and this is just one of them:wash your tank, have some good spark plugs(not the cheap ones), clean you MAF, and your Actuator body and observe your rpm again. good luck
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 9:44am On Jun 30, 2013
Happy Sunday, everyone. I have been doing a lot of reading on Benz 190 since I made up my mind (courtesy of dis thread) to go for the make.
There are two versions that have taken my fancy and I need the gurus to kindly assist my naivety, pls;
I am fascinated with the 2.5-16 Evo2 and 2.6 Sportline versions of 190e, both are rare/limited edition cars which i'd love to own one.
Which shud I go for, and why, pls?
Thanks for ur needed counsel.
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 10:53am On Jun 30, 2013
Tank Washed recently, no MAF, Actuator body cleansed recently.

au.hanson:

Then you have a little problem there, what many would always overlook.

Let me tell you my latest experience, i travelled from PH to Calabar as usual, then the following day from Calabar to Eket and back to Calabar again same day almost at Calabar at about 11:56 pm, my car off on the highway and wouldn't come up again. In the morning, i got 20 litres of fuel filled up the tank cos i knew exactly what it was, and the car started again and took me to my destination, where i drop the tank( the most painful work i have ever done in my life with this car asi had to drop the exhaust pipe , the propeller and the two rear cambers and the back tyres, my father was just looking at me with surprise and just concluded that i have trashed the car)and wash it with thinner till it was white clean, behold i got so much impurities and rusty kind of colouration like the rubber tank was a metal that got rusted. the in-tank filter was blocked, i couldnt blow it before i flushed with the thinner.

I install back the tank and every dame thing under it, it took me and my junior one who was giving a helping hand almost the whole day to finish this. I decided to embark on my journey again to Eket that evening , i crank the car put on the ac the rpm did not only shoot to 800(than my usual 700) but remain there, unlike before it would have dropped by about 100 or 150. So what am i trying to express; how long have you washed your tank..i have never washed mind since i bought the car; neither has that car tank has ever been loosen before.

Several things can cause that; and this is just one of them:wash your tank, have some good spark plugs(not the cheap ones), clean you MAF, and your Actuator body and observe your rpm again. good luck
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 10:56am On Jun 30, 2013
which one is available or readily accessible?

ninz: Happy Sunday, everyone. I have been doing a lot of reading on Benz 190 since I made up my mind (courtesy of dis thread) to go for the make.
There are two versions that have taken my fancy and I need the gurus to kindly assist my naivety, pls;
I am fascinated with the 2.5-16 Evo2 and 2.6 Sportline versions of 190e, both are rare/limited edition cars which i'd love to own one.
Which shud I go for, and why, pls?
Thanks for ur needed counsel.
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 11:57am On Jun 30, 2013
smartchoice: which one is available or readily accessible?

I have no idea, bro. but I intend to ask a dealer I know to search it out in Benin republic (Cotonou).
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by auhanson(m): 12:33am On Jul 01, 2013
Evo is the benz 190 evolution just like u had the 505 evolution, fully cusmetized with body kits(that makes it so attractive to the eyes, u never can resist it. The evo with the heaviest kitting is the evo2, which is slightly heavier in weight and may drag at lower gear) and must be handled with extreme care to keep those kits intact all year round, both are six cylinder engine with good performance, i love them both..The evo or evo2 may be scarce so dont "greedie" for it, very few numbers were manufactured then, if u find her gud.The evolution models area a bit pricey..u may also buy the body kits with original clips and custmetized ur own evo2 from the other version, the choice is yours.
see pictures of the evo: http://www.google.com.ng/search?q=mercedes+benz+190+e+evo+2&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=8MTQUcH6K4fTPNDCgYgH&ved=0CCkQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=624

[quote author=smartchoice]which one is available or readily accessible?

[/quote

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

The Toyota Land Cruiser That Is Faster Than A Lamborghini / Only Seen On Lagos Roads (photo) / Can You Buy This Car For N1.9 Million

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.