Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,445 members, 7,812,349 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:05 PM

Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL - Car Talk (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL (69891 Views)

Man Smashes His £100,000 BMW M6 In Protest About Car’s Reliability / Mercedes Benz C200 W202 Vs Honda Accord Ex I4 / Reliability Of Mercedes Benz C240/c320 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 7:50pm On Aug 23, 2013
playful driver luckily he escaped unscathed.you got mail.
ziccoit:

What actually caused this? The wreckage got to the c-pillar. Hope nobody died here.
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by auhanson(m): 8:09pm On Aug 23, 2013
smartchoice: I have the mercedes comprehensive service manual do you want that?

Boy! i guess you've got what i should like to get there, if you don't mind, pls send to my mail too. Thanks in advance
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 8:35pm On Aug 23, 2013
CHECK YOUR MAIL BRO!
au.hanson:

Boy! i guess you've got what i should like to get there, if you don't mind, pls send to my mail too, au.hanson@gmail.com. Thanks in advance
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by jahjehova(m): 11:30am On Aug 24, 2013
Pls house, other than Mobil 1, is there any
other engine oil that will not be sending
me to nechanic for servicing every 2-3
months?
My temp guage reads above 80°c in the city
and drops to 80° when travelling. Is that
safe? If no, whats your diagnosis

I posted this on the benz thread. No replies yet. Hoping to get one here ASAP
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by talktimi(m): 2:34pm On Aug 24, 2013
This thread has been very helpful to me since i started following it 'cos i've learnt both from the problems and the solutions offered. Thanks a lot guys
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by auhanson(m): 3:47am On Aug 28, 2013
jahjehova: Pls house, other than Mobil 1, is there any
months?

Your temp gauge is suppose to read 87 degrees celcius or more, as your installed thermostat is suppose to read 87 degrees celcius too, Benz recommended operational temp because your engine is suppose to operate warm for efficiency and smoothness(that is how Mercedes Benz engine is engineered). Infact if you have the older Benz like vboot or Benz 190, if your engine does not engage to this operational temperature, you wont engine the ride , because it would ride so rough/inefficient and wouldn't be smooth at all hence, wasting your fuel.If you engage any load like 'AC' here, you'll see hell, except at the operational temperature, that's why i pity people whose electrical fans kick up immediately at cranking, because they do not know how much fuel would be wasted here,and the stress they would be giving to their plugs and catalystic converters by firing and firng just to achieve a little bit of idling; after they would complain that the car drinks fuel(this is one of the numerous things we do to mess up that car and cause it to be so inefficient).

So, make sure you install the right thermostat temp reading there to achieve the above mentioned, if it has actually fallen below 80 as you have said.From all indication, you have a wrong thermostat temperature range installed there except you are not reading the gauge well.

For the oil, i have look through Mercedes Benz sheet, it recommends no other oil than mobil 1 which allows for extendable service period of 1yr or 10,000km, whichever that comes first. If you decide to chose any other oil other than mobil1, then it must be a synthetic oil, but first of all, find out from your benz sheet the range of viscosity level allowable for your car;0/w40; 5/w40 ; 5/w30 etc. Mostly, Benz recommend 0/w40, but check your Mercedes Benz sheet first of all. I do not know of any other in Nigeria yet that could be compatible with Benz, Total and Ap do have something of such but i doubt if they would work well for Benz engine, Total is mainly for peugeot cars.

1 Like

Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 4:57pm On Aug 30, 2013
hidden post?
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by tommysparks: 1:25pm On Aug 31, 2013
Mod why the hidden post what rule did smartchoice break in this peaceful and respectful forum
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 4:56pm On Aug 31, 2013
NOT MY POST O! JUST WONDERING LIKE YOU WHAT COULD HAVE MADE OGA IKENNA HIDE POSTS HERE shocked

tommysparks: Mod why the hidden post what rule did smartchoice break in this peaceful and respectful forum
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Ikenna351(m): 7:35pm On Aug 31, 2013
smartchoice: NOT MY POST O! JUST WONDERING LIKE YOU WHAT COULD HAVE MADE OGA IKENNA HIDE POSTS HERE shocked

It was a spam.

Ikenna.

1 Like

Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 9:25pm On Aug 31, 2013
okay....still waiting for you on the ancient but treasured cars thread cheesy

Ikenna351:

It was a spam.

Ikenna.
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Ikenna351(m): 4:53pm On Sep 05, 2013
smartchoice: okay....still waiting for you on the ancient but treasured cars thread cheesy

Done.

https://www.nairaland.com/1418553/what-ancient-car-still-drive/3#17915073

Ikenna.
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Trac: 3:52am On Sep 12, 2013
jahjehova: Pls house, other than Mobil 1, is there any
months?

The information you have disclosed is very limited and impossible to render a finite conclusion that will be spot-on. This is also my first interface with you (I believe).

Your specification is somewhat normal but I don't have enough information to give you a diagnose. To avoid misinformation, evaluate your readings with more attention and disclose your findings.

There are two possible scenarios. I want to be sure I know what I am responding to. In the meantime, don't alter anything. What's your vehicle?

The oil to use is SAE 0w-40, European Formulation. This is also critical. There are about one or two 0w-30's approved by MB but I doubt if they are sold in Nigeria. I don't remember the names (just the brand) but I can make reference (if need be). Those brands perform exactly as MB's 40-weight specification. Don't pour any oil because it states motor-oil. What specification do you have currently installed? I have discussed about lubrication earlier this year. You might want to acquaint yourself thereof.

1 Like

Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 9:35pm On Sep 29, 2013
BUYING A USED W202 C CLASS CHECKLIST

http://wikicars.net.au/reviews.php#!content=checklist
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 10:48am On Oct 02, 2013
My C180 1998 elegance does not fire very well at low speed. After scanning, it was detected that the cam shaft sensor is bad and I have replaced it twice and yet no changes on the performance. How do I get a brand new sensor or do you think that the fault is coming from somewhere else? PLEASE ADVISE.
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 10:56am On Oct 02, 2013
The Cam Position Sensor could be the culprit but I would also take things easy and check (things you could check yourself) first. Check your air filter box for a dirty filter or for anything blocking a free flowing intake to your car. Next check your fuel filter. Then you might also check your plug wires too.
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by jahjehova(m): 9:27pm On Oct 03, 2013
Trac:

The information you have disclosed is very limited and impossible to render a finite conclusion that will be spot-on. This is also my first interface with you (I believe).

Your specification is somewhat normal but I don't have enough information to give you a diagnose. To avoid misinformation, evaluate your readings with more attention and disclose your findings.

There are two possible scenarios. I want to be sure I know what I am responding to. In the meantime, don't alter anything. What's your vehicle?

The oil to use is SAE 0w-40, European Formulation. This is also critical. There are about one or two 0w-30's approved by MB but I doubt if they are sold in Nigeria. I don't remember the names (just the brand) but I can make reference (if need be). Those brands perform exactly as MB's 40-weight specification. Don't pour any oil because it states motor-oil. What specification do you have currently installed? I have discussed about lubrication earlier this year. You might want to acquaint yourself thereof.

Hope you guys won't say my own and oils is too much. I read that Total quartz 9000 is 5w-40. I guess this is in same range for our cars.

Also, what are possible pragmatic ways to increase the octane ratings of PMS for our cars?
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 6:21am On Oct 04, 2013
5W 40, yes.
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 9:01am On Oct 07, 2013
smartchoice: The Cam Position Sensor could be the culprit but I would also take things easy and check (things you could check yourself) first. Check your air filter box for a dirty filter or for anything blocking a free flowing intake to your car. Next check your fuel filter. Then you might also check your plug wires too.
I have checked all these and yet no improvement.
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 11:30am On Oct 07, 2013
have you tried cleaning the throttle valve?
chibabe3:
I have checked all these and yet no improvement.
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by billionman: 2:19pm On Oct 07, 2013
Good day all. I've gone through this thread and it has been very educative. I'm planning to get a 2000 c180 or 220 very soon. Actually my mind has been torn on two cars, the 1999 Toyota Camry or a Mercedes Benz. I've settled with the Mercedes Benz c class anyway. My work station is Ijebu ode Ogun state and I intend to be traveling with it to and fro Benin at least 3 times a month. Can it serve this purpose? And also the issue of competent mechanics, hope I can have access to one from my work station.
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 10:16pm On Oct 07, 2013
both brands are good but mercedes has a better suspension system and more stable at high way speeds! Mechs are readily available for both however merc parts are cheaper and lasts longer!

billion_man: Good day all. I've gone through this thread and it has been very educative. I'm planning to get a 2000 c180 or 220 very soon. Actually my mind has been torn on two cars, the 1999 Toyota Camry or a Mercedes Benz. I've settled with the Mercedes Benz c class anyway. My work station is Ijebu ode Ogun state and I intend to be traveling with it to and fro Benin at least 3 times a month. Can it serve this purpose? And also the issue of competent mechanics, hope I can have access to one from my work station.
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by billionman: 8:52am On Oct 08, 2013
smartchoice: both brands are good but mercedes has a better suspension system and more stable at high way speeds! Mechs are readily available for both however merc parts are cheaper and lasts longer!

Ok thanks. Plans to get the C class soon has been activated. Just that am still a bit confuse about the new govt policy on increasing tariff of tokunbo cars.
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by tommysparks: 3:34pm On Oct 09, 2013
billion_man:

Ok thanks. Plans to get the C class soon has been activated. Just that am still a bit confuse about the new govt policy on increasing tariff of tokunbo cars.
delay is dangerous bro.

1 Like

Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by AYOGHANDI: 7:30pm On Oct 10, 2013
I need the mercedes comprehensive service manual. Pls forward to me @xtyleo@yahoo.co.uk
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by inze(m): 5:33pm On Nov 02, 2013
I'll appreciate if the house look in on this with me.

My w202 1995 Mercedes Benz c180 has turned "good-girl-gone-bad" on fuel economy. Imagine not achieving 100km on a little below half tank with A/C on. Really don't know where to point to as I tried a scan on it but they used an obd2 on it which pulled no error code.

Am currently having two things in mind to checklist:

1: The O2 sensor
2: The exhaust system

Can someone with a snapshot of where the 02sensor is located drop one here so I can check on mine please?

Also, no2 above had a leak one time and was cut open, filled with muffler and welded back.

I'll appreciate your various contribution on this.
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 5:39pm On Nov 02, 2013
are you sure your fuel gauge is fxnal n that your fuel sender is okay?
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 5:39pm On Nov 02, 2013
have you gotten one?
AYO GHANDI: I need the mercedes comprehensive service manual. Pls forward to me @xtyleo@yahoo.co.uk
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by inze(m): 5:58pm On Nov 02, 2013
smartchoice: are you sure your fuel gauge is fxnal n that your fuel sender is okay?

Fuel Guage functional?

Well, I think so. Every top-up reads accurately and as for fuel sender (fuel pump I guess), if it's faulty I believe there are other symptoms it ought to exhibit other than bad fuel economy. I stand to be corrected though.
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 8:31pm On Nov 02, 2013
since you say your fuel from half tank does not cover 100km hence my question, if I may ask how many kilometres does your full tank of fuel cover? and when you refill how many litres does it take?
there's another fuel sending unit in the tank I believe, which can cut off even with 20liters in the tank!

inze:

Fuel Guage functional?

Well, I think so. Every top-up reads accurately and as for fuel sender (fuel pump I guess), if it's faulty I believe there are other symptoms it ought to exhibit other than bad fuel economy. I stand to be corrected though.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply)

Mercedes-Benz C300 Used In Selling Local Herbs In Kaduna (Photos, Video) / Only Seen On Lagos Roads (photo) / The Toyota Land Cruiser That Is Faster Than A Lamborghini

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.