Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,218 members, 7,818,753 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:24 AM

America Opens Its Doors For Igbo And Hausa Speakers, Why? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / America Opens Its Doors For Igbo And Hausa Speakers, Why? (3344 Views)

Yoruba And Hausa Fight In Mile 12 Lagos (Graphic Photos) / APC shuts its doors against PDP defectors / What does "Sambo" mean in Hausa? Question for Hausa speakers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

America Opens Its Doors For Igbo And Hausa Speakers, Why? by MrGlobe(m): 11:21pm On Oct 28, 2012
Thousands of immigrants were so
eager to enlist in the American
military during the last two years,
despite the strong odds that they could
be sent to combat zones, that they
signed a petition on Facebook asking
the Pentagon to let them join.
Now they will have the chance. Late
last month, the Pentagon reopened a
program to recruit legal immigrants
with special language and medical
skills, which was active for a year in
2009 but was suspended in January
The program is small; it will enlist a
total of 1,500 recruits each year for
two years, mainly in the Army. But
military officials said the yearlong
pilot program brought an unusually
well-educated and skilled cohort of
immigrants into the armed services.
“Their qualifications were really
stellar,” said Naomi Verdugo, assistant
deputy for recruiting for the Army.
“And we have been very pleased about
how these folks have been
performing.”
The program is open to immigrants on
temporary visas, who otherwise would
not be eligible to enlist. Its powerful
lure is that it allows them to naturalize
as United States citizens quickly, in
most cases at the end of basic training,
which lasts about 10 weeks. Most
immigrants on temporary visas,
whether they are students or workers
with particular skills, must wait years
— for some nationalities, more than a
decade — to become citizens.
Eileen Lainez, a Pentagon
spokeswoman, said the program was
intended to fill “some of our most
critical readiness needs.” This time
around, the Army is looking for
dentists and surgeons, and for
psychology professionals to help with
the severe emotional strains soldiers
have undergone in the wars in
Afghanistan and Iraq.
Officials are also looking for native
speakers of 44 languages, including
Azerbaijani, Cambodian-Khmer, Hausa
and Igbo (both spoken in West Africa),
Persian Dari (spoken in Afghanistan),
Portuguese, and Tamil (spoken in
South Asia). Spanish is not on the list
of languages.

Recruiting officers were quietly
frustrated that Pentagon officials took
more than two years to restart the
program. The renewal became tangled
in a broad security review after the
shooting rampage in 2009 at Fort
Hood, Tex., according to accounts from
military officials. The background
checks for the immigrants were
scrutinized with added caution, even
though the man charged in the killings,
Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan , is a native-
born American.
In renewing the program, military
officials added a new layer of security
screenings, Ms. Lainez said.
To make their case to the Pentagon,
recruiting officers compiled dossiers
on the first class of immigrants, of
whom 943 out of 1,000 were in the
Army. On average, immigrants who
enlisted in the Army language
program scored 17 points higher (on a
scale of 99) than other applicants on
an entrance test, said Capt. Carol
Stahl, who manages the program for
the Army. One-third of the first class
of recruits had master’s degrees or
higher.
One-third of the class went into the
Special Forces, a highly selective
assignment that can often lead to
combat missions, Captain Stahl said.
Attrition was one-quarter the rate of
other soldiers who entered at the same
time.
A soldier from Nepal who entered with
the first class, Sgt. Saral Shrestha, just
won the Army’s Soldier of the Year
award after a grueling four-day
competition involving fighting skills at
Fort Lee, Va.
“This was a boost of very high quality
people,” said Margaret Stock, an
immigration lawyer in Alaska who is a
retired lieutenant colonel in the Army
Reserve and helped devise the
program. Even before they enlist, she
said, the immigrants have been
screened because they have to pass
background and occupational checks
for their temporary visas.
To qualify, immigrants must have
been living in the United States legally
for at least two years. They must be
high school graduates and pass the
entrance test.
The program — known as Military
Accessions Vital to the National
Interest, or Mavni — is not open to
illegal immigrants, who are barred by
law from enlisting. In general,
immigrants who are not citizens must
have a permanent resident visa,
known as a green card, to enlist.
The first round filled up quickly, and
the Army turned away thousands of
people. Many of them signed the
Facebook petition and were hoping the
program would start again.
Health care professionals, who enlist
as officers, must serve either three
years of active duty or six years in the
Reserves. Immigrants who enlist based
on their language skills must serve for
a minimum of four years of active
duty. Participants who fail to serve
their term can lose their citizenship.
One of the first temporary immigrants
the Army accepted this year was Dr.
Amen Dhyllon, 33, a dentist practicing
in Philadelphia who was born in India
and came to the United States in 2006.
Dr. Dhyllon said he completed a
postdoctoral program at the University
of Pennsylvania in June combining two
dental specialties.
Dr. Dhyllon said he was eager to
become an American citizen.
“Even in the position where I am
today,” he said, “no one would
appreciate me as much as people
appreciate me here. This country does
not differentiate between color or
accent. Here, if you are good, people
will put you to the front.”
Dr. Dhyllon said he was not worried
about the risks of service. He said he
was attracted to the Army because of
the wide range of patients he would
see.
“I can be part of the culture,” he said.
“I can learn everything about this
country from the root.”
Re: America Opens Its Doors For Igbo And Hausa Speakers, Why? by MrGlobe(m): 11:22pm On Oct 28, 2012
Re: America Opens Its Doors For Igbo And Hausa Speakers, Why? by MrGlobe(m): 11:24pm On Oct 28, 2012
Meanwhile I thought we had 3 major ethnic groups in this country or so they said tongue
Re: America Opens Its Doors For Igbo And Hausa Speakers, Why? by Nobody: 11:26pm On Oct 28, 2012
Do you know how many American institute teaches Yoruba? Second to Swahili is Yoruba when it comes to African languages, so why would they need something they can easily access?

Infact, apart from my student job, I'm being paid to tutor my school athletes in Yoruba, and most of them take Yoruba.

5 Likes

Re: America Opens Its Doors For Igbo And Hausa Speakers, Why? by MrGlobe(m): 11:33pm On Oct 28, 2012
*Ileke-IdI:
Do you know how many American institute teaches Yoruba? Second to Swahili is Yoruba when it comes to African languages, so why would they need something they can easily access?

Infact, apart from my student job, I'm being paid to tutor my school athletes in Yoruba, and most of them take Yoruba.
close your mouth there jare. say that to the birds. clown

3 Likes

Re: America Opens Its Doors For Igbo And Hausa Speakers, Why? by aljharem2: 11:37pm On Oct 28, 2012
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: America Opens Its Doors For Igbo And Hausa Speakers, Why? by MrGlobe(m): 11:43pm On Oct 28, 2012
alj-harem:
grin grin grin grin grin grin
John paul, jason etc, how far once again, please stop abusing these emoticons. Thank you cool
Re: America Opens Its Doors For Igbo And Hausa Speakers, Why? by pazienza(m): 11:45pm On Oct 28, 2012
probably a mistake,they would add yoruba later.
Re: America Opens Its Doors For Igbo And Hausa Speakers, Why? by Nobody: 12:09am On Oct 29, 2012
I don't think cowards are needed in the American Military. Abi na lie?

8 Likes

Re: America Opens Its Doors For Igbo And Hausa Speakers, Why? by seanet01: 12:13am On Oct 29, 2012
berem: I don't think cowards are needed in the American Military. Abi na lie?
yes, the cowards that got there azz kicked in 67?

3 Likes

Re: America Opens Its Doors For Igbo And Hausa Speakers, Why? by MrGlobe(m): 12:14am On Oct 29, 2012
well I think its about the US Army and the US is no fool, they know the cowards and enlisting these cowards into the great US Army will spell doom for US Army.

disclaimer: thats just me thinking aloud cheesy

2 Likes

Re: America Opens Its Doors For Igbo And Hausa Speakers, Why? by MrGlobe(m): 12:17am On Oct 29, 2012
^^

Oh somebody already posted that before me grin grin

coincidence. lmao

we may be right.
Re: America Opens Its Doors For Igbo And Hausa Speakers, Why? by manny4life(m): 12:18am On Oct 29, 2012
*Ileke-IdI:

Haba Ileke, you're lying now.

Anyway, Nigerian Languages like Yoruba and Igbo are in dire need. In DC here, schools like GWU, GU and their rest, are offering fluent NATIVE speakers of Igbo and Swahili(CITIZENS ONLY) free scholarships to get advanced degrees in DOD CERTIFIED curriculum, go figure. The ads on the papers (Express by Washington Post) every morning like at the metro station.
Re: America Opens Its Doors For Igbo And Hausa Speakers, Why? by Nobody: 12:22am On Oct 29, 2012
manny4life:

Haba Ileke, you're lying now.

Anyway, Nigerian Languages like Yoruba and Igbo are in dire need. In DC here, schools like GWU, GU and their rest, are offering fluent NATIVE speakers of Igbo and Swahili(CITIZENS ONLY) free scholarships to get advanced degrees in DOD CERTIFIED curriculum, go figure. The ads on the papers (Express by Washington Post) every morning like at the metro station.

Which part am I lying about? Simply do your research.

The two problems with Nigeria (Hausa and Igbos who would simply kill each other without Yorubas) need to be closely watched grin
Re: America Opens Its Doors For Igbo And Hausa Speakers, Why? by manny4life(m): 12:27am On Oct 29, 2012
*Ileke-IdI:

Which part am I lying about? Simply do your research.

The two problems with Nigeria (Hausa and Igbos who would simply kill each other without Yorubas) need to be closely watched grin

For the most part where you claimed Yoruba after Swahili, that's not true. For the less part is the quote

Just like Hausa and Igbo may be the problem, have you ever thought that MAYBE, PERHAPS, it's the Yoruba that encouraging the chaos, they have no particular stand? I think Hausa and Igbo will do just fine without the Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo have common understanding than you think.

Anyway, let's not start some tribal crap, not in the mood. I'm heading home to go prepare for the storm heading our way.
Re: America Opens Its Doors For Igbo And Hausa Speakers, Why? by Nobody: 12:31am On Oct 29, 2012
I asked you to do your research and to stop thinking everyone shares your opinion.

Yea, we can see the evidence of the mutual understanding. Keep deluding yourself.
Re: America Opens Its Doors For Igbo And Hausa Speakers, Why? by Yeske2(m): 12:38am On Oct 29, 2012
Ileke is just being jealous, simple.

2 Likes

Re: America Opens Its Doors For Igbo And Hausa Speakers, Why? by coolzeal(m): 12:38am On Oct 29, 2012
*Ileke-IdI:
I asked you to do your research and to stop thinking everyone shares your opinion.

Yea, we can see the evidence of the mutual understanding. Keep deluding yourself.

Since we are lazy to research, why not provide an accurate link or source(not some blog) to back up your claim. At least someone above provided names of school

1 Like

Re: America Opens Its Doors For Igbo And Hausa Speakers, Why? by MrGlobe(m): 12:41am On Oct 29, 2012
manny4life:

For the most part where you claimed Yoruba after Swahili, that's not true. For the less part is the quote

Just like Hausa and Igbo may be the problem, have you ever thought that MAYBE, PERHAPS, it's the Yoruba that encouraging the chaos, they have no particular stand? I think Hausa and Igbo will do just fine without the Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo have common understanding than you think.

Anyway, let's not start some tribal crap, not in the mood. I'm heading home to go prepare for the storm heading our way.
nwanne dont mind that ekiti woman, go take care of your home.

Yoruba people chronically like twisting facts to put their people on top on paper, they once used they media at their disposal at a time as a tool but everything has fallen apart. Now when every nigerian hears a news the first thing they ask is, is this news from TRIBUNE, PUNCH, Tinubu'S NATION, PREMIUM TIMES if yes, then its quickly flushed down the toilet. Everybody is wise now

3 Likes

Re: America Opens Its Doors For Igbo And Hausa Speakers, Why? by MrGlobe(m): 12:43am On Oct 29, 2012
coolzeal:

Since we are lazy to research, why not provide an accurate link or source(not some blog) to back up your claim. At least someone above provide names of school
grin grin grin
please you people should not put someone on the hot seat abeg.
Re: America Opens Its Doors For Igbo And Hausa Speakers, Why? by whitecat007: 12:59am On Oct 29, 2012
Go sit down joor you bum, Yoruba language has taken its rightful place in the world.
During one of my mom visits, she was home alone while i was at work, she had a feat, ran into a room and locked her self up and called me, when a pest control guy was opening the door. I called 911 to help me check what was going on and as soon as i said to them that she does not speak much english and before i could finish saying Yoruba when the dispatcher asked me what language she spoke, the next thing heard was "ki le ni o se won, ma ran officer lo si be" Since then i watch what i say even in Yoruba over the phone.
Mr. Globe:
Meanwhile I thought we had 3 major ethnic groups in this country or so they said tongue
Re: America Opens Its Doors For Igbo And Hausa Speakers, Why? by Dainfamous: 1:00am On Oct 29, 2012
because after igbos followed by abokis in the north i believe these two are the most important and the most influential languages in west Africa....

2 Likes

Re: America Opens Its Doors For Igbo And Hausa Speakers, Why? by Nobody: 1:02am On Oct 29, 2012
Mr. Globe:
^^

Oh somebody already posted that before me grin grin

coincidence. lmao

we may be right.
when Hausas and igbos fought the war, the OTHER tribe didn't fight.what does that insinuate? America no fit take chances nau!
Re: America Opens Its Doors For Igbo And Hausa Speakers, Why? by basisop(m): 1:08am On Oct 29, 2012
*Ileke-IdI:

You must be a bad teacher. Just my thought shaa.
Re: America Opens Its Doors For Igbo And Hausa Speakers, Why? by MrGlobe(m): 1:15am On Oct 29, 2012
whitecat007: Go sit down joor you bum, Yoruba language has taken its rightful place in the world.
During one of my mom visits, she was home alone while i was at work, she had a feat, ran into a room and locked her self up and called me, when a pest control guy was opening the door. I called 911 to help me check what was going on and as soon as i said to them that she does not speak much english and before i could finish saying Yoruba when the dispatcher asked me what language she spoke, the next thing heard was "ki le ni o se won, ma ran officer lo si be" Since then i watch what i say even in Yoruba over the phone.
grin grin grin
I like this your tales oh.. please tell me more. Am enjoying it. grin

btw to divert a bit (even though I would like to dwell on topic but this question has been bodering me), ok, they made and are still making too much noise about this Awolowo education free policy but 70% of Yorubas above 60 years can neither speak or understand English or even the popular pidgin, was this education policy strictly in Yoruba? Am surprised.
Re: America Opens Its Doors For Igbo And Hausa Speakers, Why? by lacasa: 1:27am On Oct 29, 2012
Hausa is the 2nd largest spoken language. Swahili being the 1st.

Hausa language is the most associated with internationally.

The BBC radio service broadcasts in Hausa language (the only one at dat wink

Remember Debenhams cool (Yoruba, ηo vex grin).

Hausa is the most adopted language within other ethnicities in Nigeria.

Sai dan-bahaushe
*Magana ta kare* wink
Re: America Opens Its Doors For Igbo And Hausa Speakers, Why? by whitecat007: 1:31am On Oct 29, 2012
ODESON, you look for what you don't have, ibos are just playing catchup.
Re: America Opens Its Doors For Igbo And Hausa Speakers, Why? by Nobody: 2:02am On Oct 29, 2012
Da infamous: because after igbos followed by abokis in the north i believe these two are the most important and the most influential languages in west Africa....

It has nothing to do with the most influential or most popular language. You guys need to stop psyching yourselves. It is based on need. They need IBO and Hausa speakers. Period.
They did the pilot program a couple years back and they recruited yoruba speakers then. I have a distant cousin who joined and became a citizen within 14weeks. They were stormed with a huge number of folks that they stopped accepting yoruba almost as soon as the program started. Right now, they have a surplus, what they do not have is IBO and Hausa.
By the way, those of you rejoicing shouldnt be at all. It is this same people that will spy on you and report you to d.h.s. Trust me. They are already amongst you snitching on their brethren.
Re: America Opens Its Doors For Igbo And Hausa Speakers, Why? by tpia5: 2:44am On Oct 29, 2012
Since then i watch what i say even in Yoruba over the phone.

EOD.

too much "longerthroat" all over the place these days.

na so so bad eye full everywhere and everybody.
Re: America Opens Its Doors For Igbo And Hausa Speakers, Why? by tpia5: 2:49am On Oct 29, 2012
@ topic

Re: America Opens Its Doors For Igbo And Hausa Speakers, Why? by kodewrita(m): 7:28am On Oct 29, 2012
Ever since I saw them speak Yoruba in the Bourne Identity, the thought has been refreshed in my mind that CIA and the others have native Yoruba speakers. Also the fact that there's a brazilian/american interest in yoruba culture ensures they will always have Yoruba speakers at hand.

The strategic interest for Hausa is easier to understand. A solid corp of Hausa speakers can be deployed anywhere in West Africa especially Mali.

Igbo, well I wouldnt want to share my suspicions on that but definitely they have a population higher than the number of people speaking swedish on this planet so it makes sense for a super power to have a corps of people for such.

God help you if you break up and face each other, the americans will find it easy to simply walk in among you and yes they will be americans not igbos or yorubas or hausas and will gladly shoot you in the back especially if you are not from their "former" tribe.

Besides many Igbo/Hausa speakers will also speak other languages especially the widely travelled Igbo so its two for one in many cases.

2 Likes

Re: America Opens Its Doors For Igbo And Hausa Speakers, Why? by ektbear: 7:50am On Oct 29, 2012
berem: I don't think cowards are needed in the American Military. Abi na lie?

I didn't even realize that berem was a tribalist like this. Hmm, unfortunate.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

IJEBU STATE: Ikorodu, Epe And Ajah Carve Back To The Map / Hilarious! See The Cake That Was Ordered N The One That Arrived. / The Era Of "Prosecute Your Own Thief, Leave Mine For Me"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.