Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,791 members, 7,810,060 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:44 PM

Have You Held Leadership Position? What Was The Experience Like? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Have You Held Leadership Position? What Was The Experience Like? (10530 Views)

Jonathan Wins African Leadership Magazine Man Of The Year Award / Lawan, Ndume Battle For Senate Majority Leadership Position / Musiliu Obanikoro And Femi Kayode Pictured In 'spiritual' Mood At The Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Have You Held Leadership Position? What Was The Experience Like? by acidtalk: 3:09pm On Oct 29, 2012
When we criticize our leaders for some certain decisions, we usually fail to realize that this set of people are human and can never be perfect in their decision making.

Aside from a leader being CORRUPT (which 99% of Nigeria's office holders are) I am always critical before judging a leaders decisions once it falls under corruption allegations and actions.

From Primary 4 up until my University days and till date, I have been in one form of leadership position or the other and I very well know how one steps on toes, loose friends, get jealous of, and condemned once you decide to carry out your duties diligently without favor, bias or being corrupt.

In my own case, I have lost best friends for not favoring them ahead of others who rightfully deserve something.

Broken relationships because I had little or no time while in "office".

Threatened if I reveal names of corrupt Student union members amongst many others.

Share your experience as a leader and what it caused you.
Re: Have You Held Leadership Position? What Was The Experience Like? by Wislet(f): 5:35pm On Oct 29, 2012
Yup.
Have been privileged to occupy that position a number of times.
I would say mine started from the Kindergarten till this moment.
It's not easy being a leader, with many eyes looking up to you.
Where a wrong move could cost you loads.
Being, not just a leader, but a principled one, is no mean feat.
You are threatened, taunted, misunderstood by those who do not see the need to do things following the Due process.
But, the upside is that you are encouraged, congratulated and protected by many who see you as rare. Someone that would never back down...who could look at intimidation in the eye and dare it to make a move.
Leadership also gives you a special kind of confidence and sense of responsibility..... When you've become used to shepherding plenty.
One lesson I think our present leaders don't have at the back of their minds is in the form of a question:
''When I step down from this position and become one of the 'masses' once more, would I be happy with the development strides in my area of operation?''.
They do not take the time to see themselves through the Peoples' eyes.
YES @ OP. Being a leader is not easy. But it also doesn't give the present leaders we have now the right to celebrate and throw money around even as the poorest of the poor is dying.
When the Standard of Living(let's not mention Cost of Living now) is low, it says a lot about a country and its leadership.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Held Leadership Position? What Was The Experience Like? by acidtalk: 8:12pm On Oct 29, 2012
In my own opinion, only one or two present office holders have had Leadership responsibilities entrusted in them. Most of them are imposed by one godfather or the other and I believe that is why they all lack empathy.

Someone who has been entrusted with leadership duties from small can't certainly act the way most of this public office holders do.

In developed countries, they have "Leadership and Teamwork" course from junior high till they graduate from college. That is the reason why the Politicians put the citizens first before embarking on any decision.
Re: Have You Held Leadership Position? What Was The Experience Like? by Wislet(f): 11:21pm On Oct 29, 2012
I agree with you.
Re: Have You Held Leadership Position? What Was The Experience Like? by maninmood(m): 12:02pm On Nov 11, 2012
You are right there! However, let's be hopeful. Bunch of Nigerians like me, are out here in the UK and in the US starting all over( BSc degree),after having graduated in Nigeria, just to ensure good leadership is deliverable to our country in the nearest future. Stay tuned.
Re: Have You Held Leadership Position? What Was The Experience Like? by bid4rich(m): 12:02pm On Nov 11, 2012
Yeah! I have been in leadership right from my teen age and sincerely speaking it has not been easy. The thing I know I did was that personally, I spent, unspent and i respent just to make things work and I thank God till NOW i have learnt more of Maxwell leadership principle and its still working till tomorrow
Re: Have You Held Leadership Position? What Was The Experience Like? by member16: 12:14pm On Nov 11, 2012
[size=15pt]I choped some money they gave me, but I paid it back..[/size]
Re: Have You Held Leadership Position? What Was The Experience Like? by anekemary: 12:21pm On Nov 11, 2012
Holding a leadership position is not so rosy as it seems. I was d president of my faculty association in university, and nothing I did pleased the students. Faced harsh words, tough times and destructive n constructive Criticisms. However it helped me grow and made me become a better leader. because of my experience, I always make sure I take my time to study a leader b4 passing judgement
Re: Have You Held Leadership Position? What Was The Experience Like? by airmark(m): 12:40pm On Nov 11, 2012
challenges, challenges, challenges. Especially when you wish to be a good leader.
Re: Have You Held Leadership Position? What Was The Experience Like? by Bryan12(m): 12:41pm On Nov 11, 2012
I hate leading.I hate being people's subject!!!
Re: Have You Held Leadership Position? What Was The Experience Like? by Nuezha(m): 12:51pm On Nov 11, 2012
Health Prefect - Secondary School
President - Civil Eng Dept
Secretary - Engineering Students Association
Caretaker Committee Member- Students Union
Platoon Dep Leader - NYSC Jigawa
Chairman CampFireNight committee - NYSC Jigawa
Spiritual positions I'm high enough but I won't mention

As my HOD told me long ago, if you can't think on your feet, you are not fit to be made a leader.

Distractions, antagonism and slander are all part of Leadership game.

Keep a straight head and an open ear.
Re: Have You Held Leadership Position? What Was The Experience Like? by 50calibre(m): 12:54pm On Nov 11, 2012
maninmood: You are right there! However, let's be hopeful. Bunch of Nigerians like me, are out here in the UK and in the US starting all over( BSc degree),after having graduated in Nigeria, just to ensure good leadership is deliverable to our country in the nearest future. Stay tuned.

Off-point! What has this got to do with the question or didn't you even read the question?

And who told you only people with western education deliver good leadership?
Re: Have You Held Leadership Position? What Was The Experience Like? by Greatfuture: 12:55pm On Nov 11, 2012
leading aint an easy task,as it comes with a lot of responsibility which requires commitment,steadfastness,integrity and challenges if u really want to serve.from been born as the eldest in the family through primary school and present day place of work it has been a lot of experience all through.not forgetting d fact there are lots of forces working against your progress.Just yesterday a younger brother of mine said am irresponsible because i advised him to do things appropriately as it concerns him,but all the same i didnt get angry rather i calmed him down and explained to him why he had to take the right channel.he understood and apologized or is it subordinate who start a rumor mill that you stole the money meant for them even when such funds hav not been approved.in all leading is fun especially when you know you have touched lives
Re: Have You Held Leadership Position? What Was The Experience Like? by Nobody: 12:56pm On Nov 11, 2012
I was once the P.R.O of my dept. And also Presido in d varsity. Believe me,POWER CORRUPTS...it is only the Grace of God that will help u discharge ur duties rightly. Cos there are many means to extort money 4rm ur fellow coursemates.there is also that sense of superiority,some sort of popularity is also xperienced etc...i realised its easy to do wrong if u have nt determined to do the right thing
Re: Have You Held Leadership Position? What Was The Experience Like? by r231(m): 12:56pm On Nov 11, 2012
One of the most important lessons I have encountered with leadership, is whether you are a leader or you are lead by someone, you need to acknowledge that everyone has different learning styles, and being able to decipher these styles in individuals around you, will help you in achieving your group goals efficiently and effectively.

1 Like

Re: Have You Held Leadership Position? What Was The Experience Like? by lekkie073(m): 1:00pm On Nov 11, 2012
leadership varies.....democratic leadership, autocratic leadership etc. i happened to taste the above mentioned leadership styles in my tertiary education days and i tell u, leadership is worth it when it is autocratic in nature. democratic leadership is nothing but servant-leadership where any tom diick and harry can talk to u anyhow.
Re: Have You Held Leadership Position? What Was The Experience Like? by Clemzy16(m): 1:07pm On Nov 11, 2012
Gone are those days; back in secondary school i was entrusted with the position of the speaker in my club "Literary debating and dramatic quiz society." it wasen't easy at all. I had to skip classes, attend meetings(it is compulsory for me to always be there as the speaker), attend state meetings, attend official meetings, attend events like quiz and debates. Also, i held a vital role in my fellowship then. And while we were preparing for our s.s.c.e exam a couple of our echos left us along the way. It was left for me and the president to manage the house. But about all, i really learnt alot. I'd also realised that students learn better when they share ideas and opinions with their fellow students but while facing the teacher in the classroom the reverse is the case.

1 Like

Re: Have You Held Leadership Position? What Was The Experience Like? by Nobody: 1:19pm On Nov 11, 2012
yep.
2-time course rep at university.
i opted out in the 3rd year as i wanted to go out a bit more and let my hair down.

i took on this position as i thought it'll look good on my CV later on.
didnt really think of the other side of position which involved collating data/info from fellow students and passing it on to the faculty admin, lecturers and personal tutor.
it was after the first ever meeting which the HOD and DEAN attended that i got to understand the sort of responsibility i had.

seriously, leading isnt easy.
you've got to be assertive and forced to listen to every jibber jabber

you also have to be able to get 'that point' across in a concise and diplomatic manner.
failure to do so, you will be at the mercy of a buncha angry students who'll ridicule and undermine the living day light out of you.

it has lots of perks thuough but the one i always looked forward to was the FREE FOOD!
aswerigad, oyibo no sabi chop.
biscuits, sandwiches, drinks. . . .phwoar!!!

Currently, i run the rule at my place of work.
this, is a different ball game. as everything comment and action is closely watched.
i have been found wanting a number of times. . . SMH!

e no easy sha!

1 Like

Re: Have You Held Leadership Position? What Was The Experience Like? by DukeNija(m): 1:25pm On Nov 11, 2012
Leadership is easy when you are in it for the Right Reasons.
I've had Leadership Positions before, but my Only regret is that I wish i gave more of Myself and did more for People.

I was Senior Prefect(Head Boy) in Sec School.
But real Leadership came in my University through my Organisations.
One is a Motivational group(CoFounder and President), and the other a Business Group(Founder)

It's still the most Wonderful experience of my Life.
Leadership is about Impact.
About Responsibility.
A Visionary Leader sees Potentials in dumps.
Sees growth in Accusations.
Has a Clear picture of Where he's Headed, and Knows exactly how to get there.
Goes into the Future and Brings it to the Followers in 3D.

But Most Importantly,
True Leadership is determined by How Your Followers Become Better Leaders.

I Love Leadership. cool
Re: Have You Held Leadership Position? What Was The Experience Like? by ziccoit: 1:33pm On Nov 11, 2012
acidtalk: When we criticize our leaders for some certain decisions, we usually fail to realize that this set of people are human and can never be perfect in their decision making.

Aside from a leader being CORRUPT (which 99% of Nigeria's office holders are) I am always critical before judging a leaders decisions once it falls under corruption allegations and actions.

From Primary 4 up until my University days and till date, I have been in one form of leadership position or the other and I very well know how one steps on toes, loose friends, get jealous of, and condemned once you decide to carry out your duties diligently without favor, bias or being corrupt.

In my own case, I have lost best friends for not favoring them ahead of others who rightfully deserve something.

Broken relationships because I had little or no time while in "office".

Threatened if I reveal names of corrupt Student union members amongst many others.

Share your experience as a leader and what it caused you.

Do you ever for once regret the right steps you took during these periods? The answer should be NO if what you panted above was the true picture. Friend that deserted you because you failed to allow nepotism in your dealing was never your best friend, he was a foe in disguise. The relationship that got broken for you being truthful to the world would never be a decent one if otherwise. There is a way nature nurture the truthfuls when you don't compromise.

My friend, in as much as there are rules and regulations (constitutions) that should guide the ruleds and the rulers no ruler has an excuse for failure.

That is why there is room for resignation if a ruler thinks the pressure of office is too much to bear.

1 Like

Re: Have You Held Leadership Position? What Was The Experience Like? by doeeyed: 1:37pm On Nov 11, 2012
Focus
Clear achievable goals
Humility or Empathy
Get as much knowledge as possible re:subject matters.
Continuance with grass-root aiming for good representation
Thick skin, impervious to insults
War cabinet or circle of close delegates
Ability to "work the phones".... or compromise with other warring factions
Mentors
Spiritual guidance..... not ever to be forgotten

........... are only some of the skills acquired in my various appointed posts.

Re: Have You Held Leadership Position? What Was The Experience Like? by duni04(m): 1:37pm On Nov 11, 2012
In this part of the world, if you can't beat them, don't join them or you'll get killed. I'm not even aspiring to hold any leadership position in this country cos i know If I don't chop with them, they'll just waste me
Re: Have You Held Leadership Position? What Was The Experience Like? by Nobody: 1:41pm On Nov 11, 2012
Leadership = Servanthood

Basically, you lead to serve, and you serve to lead.
Re: Have You Held Leadership Position? What Was The Experience Like? by Shenez: 1:44pm On Nov 11, 2012
Once upon a time be a leader in 2 different time at 200 & 300level respectively during my siwes. It is not an easy task any fault that arise during the course of our programme i will be responsible. If i lay complain about there deeds they will gang against me. It is not easy though. Kudos to Gej thats is govern us
Re: Have You Held Leadership Position? What Was The Experience Like? by highlandre(m): 1:48pm On Nov 11, 2012
I held presidential positions at the university; you need to know how it feels like to lead before criticising leaders. Followership is much more easier than leading people
Re: Have You Held Leadership Position? What Was The Experience Like? by awesome31: 1:59pm On Nov 11, 2012
i faced many challenges especially when i knw that what i'm doing is the right thing and enemies of progress will like to do the other way round. One thing i learnt is that u SHOULD neva trust ur co-workers. Just ask God 4 wisdom to lead ur people well if not ur co-workers must surely let u down.
Re: Have You Held Leadership Position? What Was The Experience Like? by knotty(m): 2:13pm On Nov 11, 2012
Idetest leading. I hate being lead.
But, my opinion is sought before major decisions are made in organizations I belong to.
Re: Have You Held Leadership Position? What Was The Experience Like? by dridowu: 2:36pm On Nov 11, 2012
Not easy
Re: Have You Held Leadership Position? What Was The Experience Like? by Obinoscopy(m): 2:39pm On Nov 11, 2012
Its not easy being a leader. My style of leadership is people oriented. I believe a good leader must serve his people and listen to their cries and aspirations even if it sounds stupid. I follow the voice of the majority.

However I did step on toes when I was in several leadership positions but my enemies couldn't find any fault with me because I had the peoples mandate and I had their blessing.
Re: Have You Held Leadership Position? What Was The Experience Like? by acidtalk: 2:55pm On Nov 11, 2012
knotty: Idetest leading. I hate being lead.
But, my opinion is sought before major decisions are made in organizations I belong to.

If that's the case then you are a leader in the making. It shows they respect your opinion and intelligence on issues
Re: Have You Held Leadership Position? What Was The Experience Like? by acidtalk: 2:57pm On Nov 11, 2012
Obinoscopy: Its not easy being a leader. My style of leadership is people oriented. I believe a good leader must serve his people and listen to their cries and aspirations even if it sounds stupid. I follow the voice of the majority.

However I did step on toes when I was in several leadership positions but my enemies couldn't find any fault with me because I had the peoples mandate and I had their blessing.

From the way you moderate on this forum, I can vouch that you were and still a wonderful leader. You are one of the very few well reasoning moderators on this forum.

Keep it up sir.
Re: Have You Held Leadership Position? What Was The Experience Like? by LordReed(m): 3:00pm On Nov 11, 2012
My take on leadership is that anyone who truly understands the essence and responsibilities of leadership will never trifle with the ambition of being a leader.

I have held leadership positions from primary school till date and I can say it with confidence leadership is not for all comers.

It may have to come to a time where political leaders would be subjected to a series of tests to ascertain their mental and psychological fitness for the position.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buhari Defeating Gej On Reno Omokiri's Buildup Nigeria Polls / Governor Ganduje, Dangote Sign $150m Solar Power Project / I Don’t Believe That Leah Sharibu Is Dead - Shehu Sani

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.