Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,669 members, 7,809,522 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:52 AM

What Qualifies One To Be A Pastor? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Qualifies One To Be A Pastor? (6383 Views)

What Qualifies An Entity As God? / What Qualifies A Prayer To Be Fervent? / ? Who Is Truly Born Again And What Qualifies U To Enter Into The Kingdom Of God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Qualifies One To Be A Pastor? by saintvc(m): 6:08am On Oct 30, 2012
I am concerned about the whole issue of church leadership. Are all ministers qualified to be preach at the pulpit. What qualifies one to minister Gods word, elevated to point of pastorate or leadership in the church.

For other profesion,from enginers to doctors,you should pass some trainin to show u poses d skill necesary to be a licesd profesional.

How does this work for the pastor? How is he certified a pastor? Any qualification?
Re: What Qualifies One To Be A Pastor? by Nobody: 6:20am On Oct 30, 2012
Ability to convince people to pay tithes

6 Likes

Re: What Qualifies One To Be A Pastor? by Nobody: 6:24am On Oct 30, 2012
A bible, a vision, and good oratory skills..
Re: What Qualifies One To Be A Pastor? by Joagbaje(m): 7:10am On Oct 30, 2012
saintvc: I am concerned about the whole issue of church leadership. Are all ministers qualified to be preach at the pulpit.

every christian is qualified to preach Gods word. it doesnt have to be at the pupilt . there is a diffedence between ministring to the world ( siners) and ministring to the body of christ. we can all edify one.another and exhort one another' you musnt be a pastor to do that.

What qualifies one to minister Gods word, elevated to point of pastorate or leadership in the church.

Preaching Gods word.and pastorate. are two diffrerent things. Leadership and preaching are two different things. to teach Gods word . you must have a deep hunger for knowledge and study. but pastoring is a responsibility and a calling. it can be by delegation too to a great extent. so we have two kinds of pastors. some are called and chosen by christ and some are given such responsibility . they dont necessarily have to recieve a special call by vision or voice.

For other profesion,from enginers to doctors,you should pass some trainin to show u poses d skill necesary to be a licesd profesional.
How does this work for the pastor? How is he certified a pastor? Any qualification?

God doesnt need human skill to use you in ministry. paul wasnt an eloquent speaker. infact he was a bad communicator. but its not a bad idea if a minister takes some lesson to polish himself anyway.

There is need for ministerial training but thus training is not like lecture. its a character training. it comes by service. when you serve an older minister, youre being trained. your attitude and.character are being dealt wirh. the preaching at the pulpit is the smallest part of.ministry. anybody can preach. the major training of a minister is. attitude ,character and in the holyghost. and also your oversight , how to have genuine care for people. ministry is responsibility. washing other peoples mess, so one shoukdnt be driven by the desire to mount.pulpit but desire to serve .

A man must have served in some lower capacity responsibility in a church and prove his faithfulness before he ascend to higher respinsibility

9 Likes

Re: What Qualifies One To Be A Pastor? by ogoamaka99(m): 7:14am On Oct 30, 2012
saintvc: I am concerned about the whole issue of church leadership. Are all ministers qualified to be preach at the pulpit. What qualifies one to minister Gods word, elevated to point of pastorate or leadership in the church.

Point of correction, pastoring is not a profession but a calling. High level of abuse in the pulpit is as a result of people who are not called to be a pastors who are pastoring.
Re: What Qualifies One To Be A Pastor? by pastormustwacc: 7:31am On Oct 30, 2012
Ability to speak good english or pidgin english, ability to bewitch people (to turn to mumu), see vision (with withcraft or any means at all - does not even matter to the congregation) - just tell the congregation that God says - and when it happens - they will start testifying that God is really using that pastor - and your church will grow very very fast, do miracles (using any means - just tell them it is God that did the miracle) - in fact, better than seeing vision sef - you will become as popular as the you-know-who, and yes, you should have good convincing gifts for people to drop large sums of money (they will teach you this if you dont already know this).

Am i missing anything?? Yes, you should be a born-again christian and preferably from a good christian home (know what i mean)?

BTW you dont need to know how to dance azonto or alanta (that one na value-added service).
Re: What Qualifies One To Be A Pastor? by DukeNija(m): 8:28am On Oct 30, 2012
The Call of God.

1 Like

Re: What Qualifies One To Be A Pastor? by mumumugu(m): 12:53pm On Oct 30, 2012
As long as u can cram important bible verse and quote it.

Finish

1 Like

Re: What Qualifies One To Be A Pastor? by God2man(m): 5:38pm On Oct 30, 2012
Joagbaje:

every christian is qualified to preach Gods word. it doesnt have to be at the pupilt . there is a diffedence between ministring to the world ( siners) and ministring to the body of christ. we can all edify one.another and exhort one another' you musnt be a pastor to do that.

Preaching Gods word.and pastorate. are two diffrerent things. Leadership and preaching are two different things. to teach Gods word . you must have a deep hunger for knowledge and study. but pastoring is a responsibility and a calling. it can be by delegation too to a great extent. so we have two kinds of pastors. some are called and chosen by christ and some are given such responsibility . they dont necessarily have to recieve a special call by vision or voice.

God doesnt need human skill to use you in ministry. paul wasnt an eloquent speaker. infact he was a bad communicator. but its not a bad idea if a minister takes some lesson to polish himself anyway.

There is need for ministerial training but thus training is not like lecture. its a character training. it comes by service. when you serve an older minister, youre being trained. your attitude and.character are being dealt wirh. the preaching at the pulpit is the smallest part of.ministry. anybody can preach. the major training of a minister is. attitude ,character and in the holyghost. and also your oversight , how to have genuine care for people. ministry is responsibility. washing other peoples mess, so one shoukdnt be driven by the desire to mount.pulpit but desire to serve .

A man must have served in some lower capacity responsibility in a church and prove his faithfulness before he ascend to higher respinsibility

I think this should be enough.

Oga joagbaje, well done sir, God bless you.

God2man.

1 Like

Re: What Qualifies One To Be A Pastor? by Orikinla(m): 6:58pm On Oct 30, 2012
OBEDIENCE TO THE WILL OF GOD IN SACRIFICE AND SELFLESS SERVICE.
Re: What Qualifies One To Be A Pastor? by CrazyMan(m): 7:01pm On Oct 30, 2012
chukwudi44: Ability to convince people to pay tithes
Lmao...your opinion anyway.
Re: What Qualifies One To Be A Pastor? by Clemzy16(m): 7:09pm On Oct 30, 2012
Like someone rightly said. Pastoring is not a profession. Hence, it is a call for selfless service.
Re: What Qualifies One To Be A Pastor? by a1solution: 7:12pm On Oct 30, 2012
jamb question: answer- If you can pretend, lie very well, deceive yourself and others , then you are fully qualified to be a pastor and place the sticker CLERGY on your vehicle
Re: What Qualifies One To Be A Pastor? by Nobody: 7:12pm On Oct 30, 2012
A good dress sense like Chris oyakhilome.

Big grammars like Chris okotie.

Magician like TB joshua.

Yahoo minded,and tithe buster like David Oyedepo.

A good memory like Enoch Adeboye.

3 Likes

Re: What Qualifies One To Be A Pastor? by ANALIST: 7:19pm On Oct 30, 2012
In as much as every believer is obligated by Matt. 28 to preach to the world, I strongly opine that for one to stand on the pulpit of the Church and represent the authority of God there should be a training like the orthodox churches do.

We may not do it through legislation but we must denounce the greed for money and pride which leads many to call themselves pastors and bishops. This must be discourage. The work an Evangelist is enough to fulfill the will of God.
LFL(ANANLIST)
Re: What Qualifies One To Be A Pastor? by SisiKill1: 7:21pm On Oct 30, 2012
After "Hearing" from God. . .it doesn't matter that he never spoke to you before that faithful time he told you to become a pastor or even after. As long as hear him that one time, you are good to go.
Re: What Qualifies One To Be A Pastor? by mcevans1(m): 7:40pm On Oct 30, 2012
Not all groups require a person to attend any kind of schooling to become a pastor, but the pastor has to be a man who is mature in the faith, has his own house under control and is well-informed about the Bible.

1 Like

Re: What Qualifies One To Be A Pastor? by MMM2(m): 7:46pm On Oct 30, 2012
When u re alwayz preaching prosperity instead of repentance 2 unbelievers, u re over qualified 2 be a pastor
Re: What Qualifies One To Be A Pastor? by xynerise: 7:51pm On Oct 30, 2012
Draw a thin line between General overseer and Pastor. I must not own a church to be a pastor. Its the ability to teach the word of God even in prison.
Re: What Qualifies One To Be A Pastor? by ChrisGnarly: 8:03pm On Oct 30, 2012
my fellows do nt be dcved by men. go to ur bible and read firs Tim 3;1 down. read with difrent versions of bible eg kgv, niv etc, God will surly help u to understand it. u dont need to go any pastoring skull, u hv to be qualify. remember that the words (pastor, bishop, elder, presbyter etc ar use as same in d bible). just read it using various versions of bible. thanks if nt convinced call me on 08026991115
Re: What Qualifies One To Be A Pastor? by obalola7: 8:10pm On Oct 30, 2012
Joagbaje:

Please rephrase that comment in bold. Paul was the most eloquent and most read of all the apostles. Check Act 22, 23 and especially Act 23:6 : (6) But when Paul perceived that the one part were Sadducees, and the other Pharisees, he cried out in the council, Men and brethren, I am a Pharisee, the son of a Pharisee: of the hope and resurrection of the dead I am called in question.

To be a Pharisee u must have read and among the Jewish elite. A better clarification will be his letter to the Corinthians 13. "(1) Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal." 1 Corinthians 13:1

So dont say that in public that Paul wasn't eloquent. You think its a joke to convince and write letter of appeal to Caesar and get jewish Authorization letter to arrest christian and also come back and serve God with the same zeal? If he was not eloquent, he would have been killed when he was addressing the elders of Jews for his defense.

If you read further, you could also ascribe to him as an eloquent lawyer: Philipians 13:1-10 "(4) Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more:

(5) Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee;"

1 Like

Re: What Qualifies One To Be A Pastor? by abasifo(m): 8:22pm On Oct 30, 2012
There are two scripture passages which specify the qualifications of the bishop, pastor, or elder. Both were authored by Paul, first to Timothy and then to Titus.

1 Tim. 3:1 "This is a faithful saying: If a man desires the position of a bishop, he desires a good work.
3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, temperate, sober-minded, of good behavior, hospitable, able to teach;
3:3 not given to wine, not violent, not greedy for money, but gentle, not quarrelsome, not covetous;
3:4 one who rules his own house well, having his children in submission with all reverence
3:5 (for if a man does not know how to rule his own house, how will he take care of the church of God?);
3:6 not a novice, lest being puffed up with pride he fall into the same condemnation as the devil.
3:7 Moreover he must have a good testimony among those who are outside, lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil."

Titus 1:5 "For this reason I left you in Crete, that you should set in order the things that are lacking, and appoint elders in every city as I commanded you;
1:6 if a man is blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of dissipation or insubordination.
1:7 For a bishop must be blameless, as a steward of God, not self-willed, not quick-tempered, not given to wine, not violent, not greedy for money,
1:8 but hospitable, a lover of what is good, sober-minded, just, holy, self-controlled,
1:9 holding fast the faithful word as he has been taught, that he may be able, by sound doctrine, both to exhort and convict those who contradict."

You will notice that both passages are very similar, but not identical. By combining what he expressed in the separate epistles, we gain a broad picture of what were considered the prerequisites of elders.

Epistle of 1 Timothy 1) Above reproach, 2) Husband of one wife, 3) Temperate, 4) Prudent, 5) Respectable, 6) Hospitable, 7) Able to teach, cool Not addicted to wine, 9) Not belligerent, 10) Gentle, 11) Uncontentious, 12) Free from love of money, 13) Manages household well, 14) Not a new convert, 15) A good reputation inside and outside the church.

Epistle of Titus 1) Above reproach, 2) Husband of one wife, 3) Having children who believe, 4) Not self-willed, 5) Not quick tempered, 6) Not addicted to wine, 7) Not belligerent, cool Not fond of sordid gain, 9) Hospitable, 10) Lover of what is good, 11) Sensible, 12) Just, 13) Devout, 14) Self-controlled, 15) Holding fast the word —both to exhort and refute.

1 Like

Re: What Qualifies One To Be A Pastor? by OmoTier1(m): 8:28pm On Oct 30, 2012
obalola7:

Please rephrase that comment in bold. Paul was the most eloquent and most read of all the apostles. Check Act 22, 23 and especially Act 23:6 : (6) But when Paul perceived that the one part were Sadducees, and the other Pharisees, he cried out in the council, Men and brethren, I am a Pharisee, the son of a Pharisee: of the hope and resurrection of the dead I am called in question.

To be a Pharisee u must have read and among the Jewish elite. A better clarification will be his letter to the Corinthians 13. "(1) Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal." 1 Corinthians 13:1

So dont say that in public that Paul wasn't eloquent. You think its a joke to convince and write letter of appeal to Caesar and get jewish Authorization letter to arrest christian and also come back and serve God with the same zeal? If he was not eloquent, he would have been killed when he was addressing the elders of Jews for his defense.

If you read further, you could also ascribe to him as an eloquent lawyer: Philipians 13:1-10 "(4) Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more:

(5) Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee;"
Maybe the second part of that statement qualifies what He meant. I.e, Paul was not an orator, though knowledgeable in Law, He was not a smooth talker like Jacob was renowned for!
Re: What Qualifies One To Be A Pastor? by obalola7: 8:44pm On Oct 30, 2012
Omo_Tier1:
Maybe the second part of that statement qualifies what He meant. I.e, Paul was not an orator, though knowledgeable in Law, He was not a smooth talker like Jacob was renowned for!

Cunning is not being eloquent. Jacob is not known to be eloquent. Its like saying yahoo yahoo boyz are eloquent or deceptive people are eloquent. The act of deceiving people is more than just talk, it also involve some art, pretense like wearing your brothers cloth to take his blessing or making and serving your father the same food that your father wanted from your brother when he is blind to have him pray for you instead of your brother.

Please read those verses. How could you have been part of the pharisee, a lawyer and a politicians of the Jews and say you are not an Orator or can not talk eloquently. Its like saying American politicians are not eloquent.
There is hardly any American senator or house of rep member that is not eloquent and that does not mean they dont have champions among themselves.

So its the way you should look at the jewish or roman paliament at that time. We are not talking about Nigerians where you have politicians that can not read not to talk about talk eloquently.

I think you should be convince that it takes intellectual reasoning, accuracy and vocal eloquence to file an oral appeal such as what paul displayed in Acts 22 and 23. Also, remember that he was the most heard of all the apostle, writing almost 56% of the New Testament." But, Paul's writings outnumber them all- fourteen epistles in all. Add to that the works of the only Gentile writer of the Bible, Luke, a physician who traveled with Paul, who wrote the Gospel after his name and also the Book of Acts, and it becomes clear that Paul's work and writing dominates the New Testament- 56% of it's volume to be exact. And, if we examine the history of how the Bible came down to us, we find that the earliest cannon or official list of scripture, that of Marcion (ca 130 A.D.), excluded all others except Paul and Luke. Not until 367 A.D. was the cannon finally fixed by church council in the form we know it today." (Reference http://my.en.com/~anders/paul62ad.html)
Re: What Qualifies One To Be A Pastor? by manmustwac(m): 8:45pm On Oct 30, 2012
You need what we call here in the UK "The gift of the gab" broken down it means u have to be gifted with the art of speaking, to be able to convince or persuade someone with words from your mouth. Add to that charismatic character & acting skills then you have a Nigerian Pastor.
Re: What Qualifies One To Be A Pastor? by naijathings(m): 9:02pm On Oct 30, 2012
[b]Ability to Cram and Quote the Bible like an idiort. Yes thats what they do these days. they just cram and come and tell you that the Bible say, the Bible say, the Bible say, the Bible say... the book of this and that say. they keep saying the same thing even if the person they are talking to has never read the Bible or heard of Mathew or Mark or Isiah before. I was on a bus the other day and the preacher was just shouting mark says, mathew says, isiah says and someone asked him "who is mark and all this people you are calling?" and all he could say is ... "read your bible you will see them there". I just believe in God in my own heart but if it is by all these fake business class pastors, then me and God for no get any relationship.
I saw a pastor who liked a certain lady and wanted to marry her. she was a business woman and she traded jewellery and fashion accessories and she was doing very well in her business. the Pastor told her that she has to quit her business because his church does not allow jewellery. wants to wreck a young lady's life just to fulfill his own ambition.
Many of these pastors preach about giving but na them stingy pass. them dey vex me.[/b]

1 Like

Re: What Qualifies One To Be A Pastor? by plappville(f): 9:10pm On Oct 30, 2012
Yomieluv: A good dress sense like Chris oyakhilome.

Magician like TB joshua.

NL una funny oooo grin grin grin grin

@OP, a good answer has been given by broo JOA, all others are to be moved to the joke S..... grin grin
Re: What Qualifies One To Be A Pastor? by InvertedHammer: 9:24pm On Oct 30, 2012
Hard times!!!
Re: What Qualifies One To Be A Pastor? by Exponental(m): 10:22pm On Oct 30, 2012
It should be a divine calling ......but unfortunately, it is ur ability to buy pastoral form, attend lectures and pass exam.
End time tinz!!
Re: What Qualifies One To Be A Pastor? by Godysien(m): 11:27pm On Oct 30, 2012
Yomieluv: A good dress sense like Chris oyakhilome.

Magician like TB joshua.

BEWARE, so that God will not destroy u 4 abusing His servants

(1) (2) (Reply)

If You Believe In Reincarnation Get In Here And Answer These Questions ! / Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? / Why Do Atheists Come Here Since They Do Not Believe In Religion ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.