Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,125 members, 7,811,167 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:37 AM

Letter To All Nigerian V.cs - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Letter To All Nigerian V.cs (8381 Views)

Top Ten Universities With Finest V.cs???? / Letter To All Nigerian V.cs / Letter To All Nigerian V.cs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by SamAfrik(m): 10:37am On Oct 31, 2012
Flyboy Zee: @ OP. Nobody, not even the so-called Politicians wishes to hide away from the masses, the truth remains that you will not understand how busy these people can get as soon as they get into these offices, until when you work with them or fill in one of those offices. Secondly, if you talk more closely with the VC, you would have notice that there would have been like a handful of people that wants him out of that office by all means and as such, he has to protect himself by mostly avoiding the public or else he is a dead man walking.

Are Nigerian VCs busier than thier counterparts in Europe, USA, or even South Africa? Mr. Flyboy, our problem is attitude, the same Fashola is campaigning against. And, how many Nigerian VCs have been murdered? Nigeria has no gun probs unlike SA, yet South African VCs maintain good contacts with students.

1 Like

Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by adventisty: 10:40am On Oct 31, 2012
Faty boy, I want to beleive you do not have a cynical motive with this write up.You wish to be more recognised by the VC hence this cheap publicity.I may be wright or I may be wrong who knows? But if you had a clear and sincere motive/intention then you are Great! nice write up Then.
Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by SamAfrik(m): 10:44am On Oct 31, 2012
afam4eva: Why mjust the VCs be close to the students? Don't they have HODs and professors. Do they want to kidnap the VC? If you don't want to learn then get out and start learning mechanic or conductor. No be by force to go school.
One of the dumbest post have come across on NL. Why are you easterners emphasizing kidnapping? This sort of crime cant get a footing in the SW.
Leaders are close to thier subjects world over.Its only in naija (or africa) that we have this master - slavery kind of of attitude.

1 Like

Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by ezme(m): 10:52am On Oct 31, 2012
shegzy: LETTER TO ALL NIGERIAN V.Cs

Sir, one of the problems in many, if not all Nigerian universities is that some of the Vice- Chancellors (V.Cs) are too far away from their students despite the fact that they are on campus with their students! They often erroneously believe that getting close to their students is condescending. Whereas, getting close to the students will create mutual understanding as communication gap will be bridged.

To underscore my points, how many V.Cs operate an open-door policy in which their students have direct access to them? How many V.Cs give out their mobile line to student for direct communication? In this information and communication age, how many of our powerful V.Cs are on the Facebook or any other social network medium with which their students can pass information across? If President Goodluck Jonathan can find Facebook useful in sharing information with Nigerians, why are our V.Cs still hiding in the comfort of their offices?

Apart from matriculation and graduation ceremonies, many Nigerian V.Cs are not visible, hence, many students don’t know their V.Cs throughout the four years spent on campus. This is not good. V.Cs should manage our campuses by opening up to the students, wandering about the campuses to know what is going on; if possible, sit for a few minutes in a lecture room to listen to the lecturers.

I am propelled to challenge all our V.Cs this way as a result of my recent encounter with the University of Ibadan (UI) VC, Prof. Isaac Folorunso Adewole. I had heard so much good reports about Prof. Adewole since he was appointed, but l never met him or saw him physically because of protocols built around him.

However, at a christening ceremony of a new born baby of Mr & Mrs Sunday Saanu, the VC’s media man, which I attended, I was lucky to have met my VC at the occasion. I was shocked when l saw the UI VC along with his wife, attending the ceremony. Mr Saanu introduced us to the VC as students at Ibadan. I was dazed with the humility displayed by our highly respected VC. He shook hands with all of us and exchanged banters. Prof. Adewole was lively, friendly and amiable; he even took photograph with us. I was more than happy and excited. When he was leaving the ceremony, he gave us “transport fare” as an expression of his love for us. It was as I was dreaming.

Since then, my impression about him changed. I now know that if our VCs can be closer to their students, there will be less tension on our campuses. I have been carrying the picture I took with my VC around and my friends are envious just as my fiancée now respects me more because she sees me as VC’s friend.

Prof. Adewole is even on Facebook. I have added him as my friend. This is how our VCs should open up. We want to interact with them in order to have solution to our problems. I therefore say kudos to Prof. Adewole for setting a good example for others to follow. He should keep up the good work he has started at Ibadan. Indeed, if Prof. Adewole continues this way, he will see that nobody will demonstrate against him throughout his tenure. Our political leaders should learn lesson from this. When we would have voted for them, they have this habit of hiding away from us until election time. Our leaders should be visible and available.

Fatai Arisekola,(08062207481)

University of Ibadan

Dept. of Library, Archival and Information Studies

300 Level

Faculty of Education

Nice write up, I have to commend you on this. I understand the feeling when the authorities seems so faraway and out of touch with the reality facing students. I understand your genuine intention to bring this anomaly to the fore and also share your experience with your Vice Chancellor with us.I got a little bit worried when I saw you leave all your contact details. I was politically active during my days in school and when I see write-ups like this, it smells so much of dual intent. It seems more like a political move to me on your part. I won't be surprised if you are running for office presently or have future plans to do so within your school. Student activists usually have personal agenda... Once again,nice piece.
Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by BOLOSKY: 10:58am On Oct 31, 2012
OP..why are praising your VC na...is it because he gave u and your friends T fare..+ you don't expect him to be hostile towards you guyz in public even if he's not a nice person...
Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by Dospix(m): 11:36am On Oct 31, 2012
Just wooundering why u didn't post this before now?just recently,the conference of Nigerian vc's was held in my school:Nasarawa state university,keffi;My vc prof Samsudeen Amali is too old to run these errands u enlisted here;he is an elderly man.
Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by Iykecollins(m): 12:37pm On Oct 31, 2012
Reminds me of Prof. E.A.C Nwanze of Uniben dat year, I neva met him one on one but always see him on morning masses in St Albert, I like d man sha
Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by Nobody: 1:03pm On Oct 31, 2012
dridowu: I remeber also when i met the immediate past VC twice( Prof Olufemi Bamiro ) ,first during condolence visit at his official residence,when his lovely wife Gloria Bamiro die , still yet he talk to us like FATHER,. Second was at his officie, he told was his dream and vision for UI. REPRESENTING NNAMDI AZIKIWE HALL THEN,UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN, MY ALMA MATER

In Gods name, don't tell me you are a graduate Why didn't you speak in your mother tongue rather than insult our eyes? Haba!!!! angry
Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by plaetton: 1:19pm On Oct 31, 2012
igbokwe sampson: well thats nice but i think you need to come to michael okpara university of Agriculture umudike and see for yourself then you will know that the VC UI is jxt begining, prof Hillary Edeoga of MOUAU is jxt wonderfull ,he does all those things u mentioned above. A man that do call out his phone no, not public number ,i mean personal phone number to students in a public servant. Little wonder he was named the beat VC ,2012@ Igbokwe sampson c.well thats nice but i think you need to come to michael okpara university of Agriculture umudike and see for yourself then you will know that the VC UI is jxt begining, prof Hillary Edeoga of MOUAU is jxt wonderfull ,he does all those things u mentioned above. A man that do call out his phone no, not public number ,i mean personal phone number to students in a public servant. Little wonder he was named the beat VC ,2012@ Igbokwe sampson c.well thats nice but i think you need to come to michael okpara university of Agriculture umudike and see for yourself then you will know that the VC UI is jxt begining, prof Hillary Edeoga of MOUAU is jxt wonderfull ,he does all those things u mentioned above. A man that do call out his phone no, not public number ,i mean personal phone number to students in a public servant. Little wonder he was named the beat VC ,2012@ Igbokwe sampson c.

Are a of student MOUAU?
Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by dridowu: 1:19pm On Oct 31, 2012
josh4ever:

In Gods name, don't tell me you are a graduate Why didn't you speak in your mother tongue rather than insult our eyes? Haba!!!! angry
mr english teacher, if my english worries u, dn feel free to suck my dog ass
Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by Nobody: 1:27pm On Oct 31, 2012
dridowu: mr english teacher, if my english worries u, dn feel free to suck my dog ass

You see When you cannot defend yourself, you result to petty insults. Speaks LOADS of your poor training and the type of life you live... Keep sucking your dogs bottom but stop suggesting others do same because we are sane and capable individuals able to defend any argument sanely without resorting to retarded insults...

And go and LEARN English else we will query your certificate grin
Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by dridowu: 1:42pm On Oct 31, 2012
josh4ever:

You see When you cannot defend yourself, you result to petty insults. Speaks LOADS of your poor training and the type of life you live... Keep sucking your dogs bottom but stop suggesting others do same because we are sane and capable individuals able to defend any argument sanely without resorting to retarded insults...

And go and LEARN English else we will query your certificate grin
haba u don press P. Ok sori bro. Then atleast i expect u to correct my english. Mr josh4ever, my english bad as u said, but its dat same english dat have taken far. For my CERTIFICATES, private message if truly u want to question it.
Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by harjala(m): 1:54pm On Oct 31, 2012
I Cant Count hw many times ive seen my Schl's V.C...,infact i see him more than my HOD...
Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by Dopefiend(m): 1:55pm On Oct 31, 2012
afam4eva: Why mjust the VCs be close to the students? Don't they have HODs and professors. Do they want to kidnap the VC? If you don't want to learn then get out and start learning mechanic or conductor. No be by force to go school.

This post definitely wins d award for dumbest post dis month.

2 Likes

Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by Afam4eva(m): 1:56pm On Oct 31, 2012
Dopefiend:

You have to be dumb to know what qualifies as dumb.
Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by Nobody: 2:02pm On Oct 31, 2012
dridowu: haba u don press P. Ok sori bro. Then atleast i expect u to correct my english. Mr josh4ever, my english bad as u said, but its dat same english dat have taken far. For my CERTIFICATES, private message if truly u want to question it.

Hahahahaha!!! Na the Nairaland spirit naa! Ok, I apologize for setting off the chain of events, but try to read and possibly modify any issues before commenting...
As for your cert, no worry, I no go query am again...lol

Peace??. grin
Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by Nobody: 2:47pm On Oct 31, 2012
Dopefiend:

Actually, the post makes sense. How many people really want to know/be close to the VC. Their is a chain of command. You have your advsior, head of department, dean etc that can relay any message that needs to be passed across. I'm not saying the VC should be a "GHOST" but it's really not necessary for the VC to be at the beck n call of students. I schooled in the "Land of the free" yet i never met my schools president. Heck, i didn'
t/still don't know what his name was/is. As long as the right things are being done, the last thing on any students mind is the VC.
Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by AK481(m): 3:46pm On Oct 31, 2012
WAt about opening a facebook page?,atleast gej has one.will they also kidnap his image?
Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by Afam4eva(m): 3:47pm On Oct 31, 2012
AK 48:
WAt about opening a facebook page?,atleast gej has one.will they also kidnap his image?
Now, someone is thinkin.
Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by Dopefiend(m): 6:04pm On Oct 31, 2012
afam4eva:
You have to be dumb to know what qualifies as dumb.

Oh no i jst try to spot d dumb ones. It wud have been beta if u hadnt postd nytin atall.

afam4eva:
Now, someone is thinkin.

Wasnt opening a facebook page suggested earlier or were
U on anoda level of dumb? VC's being close to us dosnt necesarily mean dey should eat nd sleep wit us niqqa. Use ur brain sometimes
Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by oladayo042: 8:46pm On Oct 31, 2012
spartanian: I always saw my VC almost every week when I Was in school, student were even complaining that he Was too common
Please what school did you attend? My guess is that it was a private university.
Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by hoomogh(m): 10:33pm On Oct 31, 2012
DexxyAlebs: Prof Saburi Adejimi Adesanya (OAU's former DVC) of OOU (osu) is setting pace here, we students believe we attend the NEW OOU, He created some avenues to report admin staff asking for money when it's their job to do, nw lecturers beg us for classes, exam would end nov and we are resuming another session in dec.
OSU DON CHANGE O!
i hope so. Cos altru my oou days, i did nt set my eyes on our vc. Hope ds man wil make sense til d end. Am yet 2 witness any change as u av claimed, wen i come der 4 my transcript/certificate.
Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by kingsolve(m): 4:50am On Nov 01, 2012
U need to meet Prof I. Oloyede of university of Ilorin. He connects with students online, hold dinner with school scorlars yrly, visits students in their lecture rooms during lectures to see hw things r going, even goes to nightclass at midnight to see hw pple are doing, comes out openly to address students on walkway or open space where issues arise, instead of driving within the school to check on projects, he walks together with his entourage to be able to see students and interract along d way. He is very busy, efficient and hardworking, yet he creates tym to knw hw his students r doing. He's also very disciplined, wud resume work as early as 8, anybody who violates sm school rules wud be expelled(face Tanke), even if it was his own son. He'd pay 4 his jamb d next year. That helped me be on my toes to mk sure I dnt violate dos rules till I graduated last year, like cheating in exam, fighting, etc. D man mk sense, even though all d rules were not favourable at d time, looking back now I can say they helped mem
Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by DexxyAlebs(m): 6:06am On Nov 01, 2012
hoomogh: i hope so. Cos altru my oou days, i did nt set my eyes on our vc. Hope ds man wil make sense til d end. Am yet 2 witness any change as u av claimed, wen i come der 4 my transcript/certificate.
oga wen was d last time you came down here, dos changes myt not be visible to u, but we current student are feeln it's impact, av heard dat dere's ntn like draft or tentative exam time table again? Kum see hw lecturers dhey beg 4 class, All because of Prof. Saburi!
OOU DON CHANGE O
Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by xuleiman: 6:36am On Nov 01, 2012
@Nimi22...i hop u vc adelabu aint contestin 4 de SUG president haahah sherin rcarge card..sweet..maggi..n purewater..hahah neva mind de pun.ma Vc z so close 2 us 2 he z simply awasome Vc..futmx.prof.M.s.Audu
Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by bamac(m): 8:38am On Nov 01, 2012
DexxyAlebs: Prof Saburi Adejimi Adesanya (OAU's former DVC) of OOU (osu) is setting pace here, we students believe we attend the NEW OOU, He created some avenues to report admin staff asking for money when it's their job to do, nw lecturers beg us for classes, exam would end nov and we are resuming another session in dec.
OSU DON CHANGE O!
to d student's suprise prof Saburi even attends lectures. He came to us one day like dt wen we were waiting for our lecture time to clock and spoke to us like father to child infact i was suprised that day that a VC could play with student like dt. The man has realy changed oou in less than 5 months.
Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by candy82(m): 10:52am On Nov 01, 2012
Sleek05: Prof Olagbemiro, VC of Bowen University. Proud of dat man. We see our VC at least twice in a week. He dished out his number 2 any1 dat wants 2 have it and responds promptly 2 any call/text msg. I've cald him on various occassions and he responded n evn asked me and those affected 2 come see him. Once, he dashed my friend some money when she needed it badly. No lecturer dares witch-hunt us or sell us a textbook/handout by force, no lecturer dares molest/harass a female student except he is tired of his/her job. Very open and humble man n dat has by no means made him lesser dan he is. I think VC's should emulate this man.
Addition "God luvs Ўΰ so do i"....happy 10th anniversary....

1 Like

Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by candy82(m): 10:52am On Nov 01, 2012
Sleek05: Prof Olagbemiro, VC of Bowen University. Proud of dat man. We see our VC at least twice in a week. He dished out his number 2 any1 dat wants 2 have it and responds promptly 2 any call/text msg. I've cald him on various occassions and he responded n evn asked me and those affected 2 come see him. Once, he dashed my friend some money when she needed it badly. No lecturer dares witch-hunt us or sell us a textbook/handout by force, no lecturer dares molest/harass a female student except he is tired of his/her job. Very open and humble man n dat has by no means made him lesser dan he is. I think VC's should emulate this man.
Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by Lamasta(m): 1:06pm On Nov 01, 2012
Meeting the VC or interacting with the VC is not all that matter cos that will not affect your GPA the major thing is creating the enabling environment where students can give out there best to showcase to the world that with or without seeing the VC you can actually make it successfully
Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by Nimi22(f): 12:06am On Nov 02, 2012
xuleiman: @Nimi22...i hop u vc adelabu aint contestin 4 de SUG president haahah sherin rcarge card..sweet..maggi..n purewater..hahah neva mind de pun.
lool. No, he isn't he's just a father.
Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by valeny2k(m): 9:21pm On Sep 24, 2014
Nimi22: The VC of my school prof. Sunday Adelabu of Uniabuja is so close to the students dat even the staff beefs him. They dont like the way he comes to our hostel to give us things (money, recharge cards, foodstuffs, bags of purewater amongst others). Almost every student have his numbers. He interacts with students as if we are his children. He's just so close to us.
. Drop no or bb pin
Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by Nimi22(f): 11:25pm On Sep 24, 2014

(1) (2) (Reply)

YABATECH Acquires Plagiarism Detecting Software / Why The Hate On University Of Ilorin? / JAMB 2018- Simple Guides As UTME Begins On Friday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.