Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,995 members, 7,821,474 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:30 PM

Do Muslims Pray In English At All? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Do Muslims Pray In English At All? (2305 Views)

Why Do All Muslims Pray In Arabic?? / Why Muslims Pray In Arabic? / Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Muslims Pray In English At All? by eyenCalabar(m): 7:04pm On Oct 30, 2012
I have been watching out this eventhough I have not stayed in any Muslim state before but for the ones that are in my state, I have not noticed for once any of them pray in English. Why is this so or would I be wrong? Or do they have a God who doesn't understand English prayers?
Re: Do Muslims Pray In English At All? by Areaboy2(m): 7:15pm On Oct 30, 2012
Allah only understands Arabic undecided

Or else, why does every Muslim have to learn Arabic? cos god prefers that language to every other. Despite the fact that there are some other languages that allow more profound expressions than Arabic, they still stick to it.

I guess that's the problem with Islam, it stubbornly refused to evolve.
Re: Do Muslims Pray In English At All? by eyenCalabar(m): 7:24pm On Oct 30, 2012
Area_boy: Allah only understands Arabic undecided

Or else, why does every Muslim have to learn Arabic? cos god prefers that language to every other. Despite the fact that there are some other languages that allow more profound expressions than Arabic, they still stick to it.

I guess that's the problem with Islam, it stubbornly refused to evolve.

Sounds real funny there and I don't believe Muslims would want to go with you on this. Let's watch and hear from a Muslim fellow rather. But anyway, thanks for commenting.
Re: Do Muslims Pray In English At All? by omiobo: 8:16pm On Oct 30, 2012
How do you expect boko haram to pray in english?
Re: Do Muslims Pray In English At All? by eyenCalabar(m): 8:39pm On Oct 30, 2012
omiobo: How do you expect boko haram to pray in english?

I don't want this kind of comment pls.
Re: Do Muslims Pray In English At All? by tbaba1234: 8:47pm On Oct 30, 2012
eyenCalabar: I have been watching out this eventhough I have not stayed in any Muslim state before but for the ones that are in my state, I have not noticed for once any of them pray in English. Why is this so or would I be wrong? Or do they have a God who doesn't understand English prayers?

There are two kinds of prayers in Islam

i. The obligatory 5 daily prayer where you recite ayahs(Usually translated as verses) from the Quran, this is done in Arabic.

ii. The supplication: This can be done in any language you are comfortable in. Here, you request for forgiveness and ask for things.

I hope this answers your query.
Re: Do Muslims Pray In English At All? by eyenCalabar(m): 9:02pm On Oct 30, 2012
[quote author=tbaba1234]

There are two kinds of prayers in Islam

i. The obligatory 5 daily prayer where you recite ayahs(Usually translated as verses) from the Quran, this is done in Arabic.

But why choosing Arabic language as the only official language for it? What happens to one who doesn't understands Arabic because definitely it not every Muslim that should understands it?

ii. The supplication: This can be done in any language you are comfortable in. Here, you request for forgiveness and ask for things.

But I have never heard from any Muslim using any other language before.
Re: Do Muslims Pray In English At All? by tbaba1234: 9:11pm On Oct 30, 2012
eyenCalabar: But why choosing Arabic language as the only official language for it? What happens to one who doesn't understands Arabic because definitely it not every Muslim that should understands it?

Allah revealed the final message to the world in the Arabic language so the Quran is only really the Quran in arabic... In translation, a whole lot of meaning is lost. There are translations of the Quran so you can learn something of the meaning of what is being said when it is recited.

But I have never heard from any Muslim using any other language before.

Well they do, all the time.
Re: Do Muslims Pray In English At All? by eyenCalabar(m): 9:29pm On Oct 30, 2012
Allah revealed the final message to the world in the Arabic language

This is powerful, but who heard this message?

so the Quran is only really the Quran in arabic... In translation, a whole lot of meaning is lost.
Does that means it content cannot therefore be trusted?
Re: Do Muslims Pray In English At All? by tbaba1234: 9:41pm On Oct 30, 2012
eyenCalabar: This is powerful, but who heard this message? Does that means it content cannot therefore be trusted?

The message is simple: Worship the one God on his terms, without partners.

That is the primary message of Islam.

The same message was delivered to all the prophets: Noah, Abrahan, Moses, Jesus and Muhammad (May the peace and blessings of God be on all of them). This final revelation was revealed to the last messenger sent to humanity, Muhammad (May the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) just like other messages have been delivered to other human messengers.

A lot of meaning is always lost in translation, we can not say things the way Allah said it. This happens in any language.
Re: Do Muslims Pray In English At All? by LagosShia: 11:23pm On Oct 30, 2012
The obligatory 5 prayers are only to be said in arabic.the supplications can be said in english.you can also review these:

"Why Muslims Pray In Arabic?"
https://www.nairaland.com/574141/why-muslims-pray-arabic

"Why Do All Muslims Pray In Arabic??"
https://www.nairaland.com/1008472/why-all-muslims-pray-arabic

(1) (Reply)

Shameless Christian And Their Vow 'walayi Talayi' / A Mother And Her Sick Child / Underrated Issue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.