Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,011 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:05 AM

Okada Ban In Delta Starts Today - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okada Ban In Delta Starts Today (10435 Views)

Okada Ban: Motorcycle Dealers Nationwide To Cast Protest Votes / Fashola Urges Lagosians To Endure Okada Ban / Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okada Ban In Delta Starts Today by naptu2: 8:33am On Nov 01, 2012
[size=14pt]Okada ban in Delta: No going back on Nov 1 date – Commissioner.[/size]

By Austin Ogwuda

Asaba
—DELTA State Commissioner for Transport, Mr. Benson Igbakpa, has said there was no going back on the ban on commercial motorcycles, popularly known as Okada, as the ban takes effect today.

He made it clear that the restriction would begin today in Warri, Asaba and Effurun, warning that the ban did not exclude private motorcycle users.

He said: ”Anybody who may claim to be using his or her motorcycle for private purposes or haulage should construct a carriage at the back signifying that it is not a passenger motorcycle.

“With the transport arrangements already on ground, we can move as much as 21,000 passengers at a time. So there is no going back on the November 1 take off date for the restriction order because the state governor, Dr. Emmanuel Uduaghan, has been magnanimous enough.”

Governor Uduaghan had extended the ban by one month to enable a better take off of the system.

Already, the presence of tricycles on the streets of Asaba has become prominent in the last couple of days.

While some passengers that usually patronized Okada told our reporter that they were not comfortable with the ban as the tricycles would not be able to go into rough terrains, others heaved a sigh of relief over the ban.

Commissioning 1,250 tricycles to be used in place of motorcycles, the governor had warned politicians not to interfere with the distribution of the tricycles as it was exclusively reserved for commercial motorcycle operators.

The governor, who subsidized the cost of the tricycles up to 70 per cent, from N400,000 to N150,000, warned operators of the tricycles to restrict themselves to routes approved for them.

He noted that the introduction of the tricycles was to replace and gradually phase out commercial motorcycles as part of measures to ensure safety in the transport sector and promote security in the state.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/11/okada-ban-in-delta-no-going-back-on-nov-1-date-commissioner/
Re: Okada Ban In Delta Starts Today by sdiq: 12:44pm On Nov 01, 2012
GOOD DEVELOPMENT

1 Like

Re: Okada Ban In Delta Starts Today by thelastPope(m): 12:49pm On Nov 01, 2012
This is how it should be done! Fashola should go back to school. Lol
Re: Okada Ban In Delta Starts Today by trigar12(m): 12:50pm On Nov 01, 2012
Good. THE OKADA MEN ARE NOT PROTESTING OVER THERE BUT THEY ARE TAKING LAGOS STATE GOVERNMENT TO COURT. Hmmm
Re: Okada Ban In Delta Starts Today by generalJumong1(m): 12:51pm On Nov 01, 2012
so delta don join them too.nawa o wetin man go chop na
Re: Okada Ban In Delta Starts Today by Omero(m): 12:54pm On Nov 01, 2012
Re: Okada Ban In Delta Starts Today by thelastPope(m): 12:59pm On Nov 01, 2012
trigar12: Good. THE OKADA MEN ARE NOT PROTESTING OVER THERE BUT THEY ARE TAKING LAGOS STATE GOVERNMENT TO COURT. Hmmm

Because they are carrying them along gradually. I don't like this Uduaghan guy because I see him as an extension of Ibori but he is making some moves lately that is making me reconsider. Fingers crossed though.
Re: Okada Ban In Delta Starts Today by SamMilla1(m): 1:01pm On Nov 01, 2012
Yea, i saw them protesting all over the place yesterday in Asaba.

It is just a pity that the govt only bans and bans without providing even a slight alternative
Re: Okada Ban In Delta Starts Today by Aafulenu(f): 1:01pm On Nov 01, 2012
trigar12: Good. THE OKADA MEN ARE NOT PROTESTING OVER THERE BUT THEY ARE TAKING LAGOS STATE GOVERNMENT TO COURT. Hmmm

they are not protesting cos the govt provided an alternative ie tricycles (keke napep) at a very subsidised rate. did fashola do same?

2 Likes

Re: Okada Ban In Delta Starts Today by promkingzz(m): 1:02pm On Nov 01, 2012
I really do not pray this happens but I await to see a rise in street crimes in asaba. I hope emmanuel uduaghan planned for that too! Asaba get road? Where the keke wan pass?? Mtcheww!
Re: Okada Ban In Delta Starts Today by philips70(m): 1:05pm On Nov 01, 2012
Good riddance to bad rubbish!
Re: Okada Ban In Delta Starts Today by Nobody: 1:08pm On Nov 01, 2012
Unemployment medals for okada men!
Re: Okada Ban In Delta Starts Today by sylve11: 1:08pm On Nov 01, 2012
Men u need to see the masses suffering here in warri this morning. I have always stand on this 'always provide measures before banning anything used by the masses'. The roads are bad in warri and it environs. The buses selects particular locations to drive, everything is almost upside down in delta state; and Nigeria is not better. The development is good, but put measures in place before banning. cool
Re: Okada Ban In Delta Starts Today by philips70(m): 1:08pm On Nov 01, 2012
promkingzz: I really do not pray this happens but I await to see a rise in street crimes in asaba. I hope emmanuel uduaghan planned for that too! Asaba get road? Where the keke wan pass?? Mtcheww!

Dont waste your energy, if street crimes increase the security operatives will up their game. Okada is a menace and it will forever remain a menace. They should find other means of livelihood. After all people loose jobs every day in other sectors.

1 Like

Re: Okada Ban In Delta Starts Today by ohisola(f): 1:08pm On Nov 01, 2012
Sam Milla: Yea, i saw them protesting all over the place yesterday in Asaba .

It is just a pity that the govt only bans and bans without providing even a slight alternative
u no dey c provision of tricycles @ affordable prices 4 there? undecided. He didn't just provide dem alternatives he also subsidised d prices by 70%. Whch part of d news u read? grin

1 Like

Re: Okada Ban In Delta Starts Today by Goziemiguel(m): 1:09pm On Nov 01, 2012
Omoh the okada ban idea is not that great coz it threw ppl off balance I hope things will improve buh as it stants nw hm ppl are doin star trek ooh
Re: Okada Ban In Delta Starts Today by philips70(m): 1:12pm On Nov 01, 2012
sylve11: Men u need to see the masses suffering here in warri this morning. I have always stand on this 'always provide measures before banning anything used by the masses'. The roads are bad in warri and it environs. The buses selects particular locations to drive, everything is almost upside down in delta state; and Nigeria is not better. The development is good, but put measures in place before banning. cool

Let people learn how to walk or ride bicycles in Nigeria. As sophisticated is Amsterdam bicycle is king there. We are too lazy in this country coupled with some useless show of class that at the end of the day leaves our pockets so dry.

1 Like

Re: Okada Ban In Delta Starts Today by Ariyke: 1:14pm On Nov 01, 2012
Aafulenu: they are not protesting cos the govt provided an alternative ie
tricycles (keke napep) at a very subsidised rate. did fashola do
same?
No he didnt
Re: Okada Ban In Delta Starts Today by luluosas(m): 1:16pm On Nov 01, 2012
Next to fall will be Edo State. Just watch out!!!
Re: Okada Ban In Delta Starts Today by promkingzz(m): 1:18pm On Nov 01, 2012
philips70:

Dont waste your energy, if street crimes increase the security operatives will up their game. Okada is a menace and it will forever remain a menace. They should find other means of livelihood. After all people loose jobs every day in other sectors.

See ur mouth na, typical Nigerian! Okada is a menace but the government who has indeed given those okada men no other means to survive is not d chief menace abi? You talk about upping security measures as if its the first of such kind of measurements we've expected from the government with no absolute solution or actions to follow up. Go and see the roads the keke napeps are expected to ply on, government officials don't even ply that part of town so they have no idea how messed up the streets of asaba is becoming due to neglect. My brother you know nothing about what you are saying

2 Likes

Re: Okada Ban In Delta Starts Today by pipeewa(m): 1:33pm On Nov 01, 2012
'Amukun eru e wo, O ni oke le n wo, e o wo isale.' kindly help translate this.
The problem is better solved if it's being treated from the origin. I discovered most of the Okada men in Lagos are not even hausas. Some are from Cotonou and Chad. They come in droves. Tell me why there wont be mayhem on the road. How many of them are qualified to ride those bikes. For now I prefer Okada to driving in Lagos...but with great insight they are not in our future even keke Napep. I was in Owerri and trust me you have to be a good driver to tolerate them on d main road. Our leaders wld have done well if better cushion effects are in place bf okadas are banned. We shd start thinking of our future and how to effect a change better than complaining all the time. It's not easy to rule joo.
Re: Okada Ban In Delta Starts Today by Kx: 1:35pm On Nov 01, 2012
Delta State provided a highly subsidized alternative just like Akwa Ibom b4 they went ahead to ban okada.

Dont this governors do peer review? Why was Fash's case different?
Re: Okada Ban In Delta Starts Today by kunle86(m): 1:40pm On Nov 01, 2012
Nigerian government our making alot of mistakes, because after okada ban u wil definitely experience mass rubbery in the town, because majority of those okada guys are bad boys, but that okada gave them some earnings beware.

1 Like

Re: Okada Ban In Delta Starts Today by philips70(m): 1:45pm On Nov 01, 2012
promkingzz:

See ur mouth na, typical Nigerian! Okada is a menace but the government who has indeed given those okada men no other means to survive is not d chief menace abi? You talk about upping security measures as if its the first of such kind of measurements we've expected from the government with no absolute solution or actions to follow up. Go and see the roads the keke napeps are expected to ply on, government officials don't even ply that part of town so they have no idea how messed up the streets of asaba is becoming due to neglect. My brother you know nothing about what you are saying

The government can't do every thing for you my friend. I guess you will wait till government tar every fucking road in Nigeria before they introduce a life saving measure. Wait till the next generation for that but in the mean time this has come to stay. If you have been a victim or someone you know have been a victim of the menace called okada you will not wait for this Eldorado before calling on them to do just this. Typical Nigerian! smh for you
Re: Okada Ban In Delta Starts Today by Nobody: 1:46pm On Nov 01, 2012
you need see the way people are trekking under the hot sun here in warri. Mehnn! Nigerians are really sufferring. Meanwhile, Uduaghan and his aides all fly first class and go about in a/c cars. The day is coming when people will enter the streets with guns, knives machete and oda weapons in revolution to this kind of bad leadership.
Re: Okada Ban In Delta Starts Today by lafuria1(m): 2:05pm On Nov 01, 2012
Kx: Delta State provided a highly subsidized alternative just like Akwa Ibom b4 they went ahead to ban okada.

Dont this governors do peer review? Why was Fash's case different?
there have been keke napep in lagos for long time since buba marwa administration, reason y its sometimes nicknamed keke marwa and many of it as well, if lagos want more, that wont b a problem. lagos have a BRT buses already. so what alternatives are there? as for me i dont like the idea of banning okadas.
Re: Okada Ban In Delta Starts Today by realiforj: 2:07pm On Nov 01, 2012
Its a pity what our leaders in all public offices feds, state and local do to the ordinary citizens. can you imagine that the Governor of delta state created an havoc in delta state by banning okada riders without provision of good road network for the people. The so called keke napep that was provided is no where to be seen in the metropolise and people have to wait for over 3 hrs before getting a cab to their various places of work.

1 Like

Re: Okada Ban In Delta Starts Today by iwanchop(m): 2:27pm On Nov 01, 2012
thelastPope: This is how it should be done! Fashola should go back to school. Lol
Keep ur mouth shut!Did Fashola ban d use of motorcycle outrightly?He only said they should not ply some routes.U need to go back to school urself.
Re: Okada Ban In Delta Starts Today by iwanchop(m): 2:32pm On Nov 01, 2012
Aafulenu:

they are not protesting cos the govt provided an alternative ie tricycles (keke napep) at a very subsidised rate. did fashola do same?
Senseless comparison,did Fashola ban d use of motorcycles?
Re: Okada Ban In Delta Starts Today by Hardfact: 2:34pm On Nov 01, 2012
*Just thinking aloud*
Will it suffice to say that virtually everything about okada is bad?
Isnt there really a gap which these bike men tend to fill?
Does a ban on okada stop a determined armed robber from using it to rob?
Aren't there instances where availability of okada can help prevent one from being robbed, esp at night?
What about stricter regulation instead of ban?
How about emergency situations?
And typical/normal Nigerian roads that are hardly motorable esp in rainy season?
Any way to differentiate a private bike owner from a robber on bike?
. . . .Many more questions

1 Like

Re: Okada Ban In Delta Starts Today by Kposkila: 2:37pm On Nov 01, 2012
kunle86: Nigerian government our making alot of mistakes, because after okada ban u wil definitely experience mass rubbery in the town, because majority of those okada guys are bad boys, but that okada gave them some earnings beware.
mr man i stay in warri nd sum thieves even use okada to steal. u cant imagine d peace nd quietnes we re xperiencing just today...about d stress, its noth compared to d riddance of d bad rubbish called okada! gradually d system wud balance itself. after all d re

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari Shows Leadership By Example Today @ Abuja Airport! / Umahi Presents Herdsmen/Farmers Crisis Report To Osinbajo (Photos) / Saraki, A Case Of Political Injustice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.