Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,223 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:51 AM

Lagos Assembly Considers Anti-smoking Bill - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Lagos Assembly Considers Anti-smoking Bill (4209 Views)

Pics: Women Storm Lagos Assembly Over Deaths Of Pregnant Women In Lagos Hospital / The Anti-smoking Ad Every One Needs To See (video) / Health Ministry Considers Compulsory Breastfeeding Bill (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Assembly Considers Anti-smoking Bill by mukina2: 1:03pm On Nov 01, 2012
A bill towards prohibiting smoking in designated places for connected purposes yesterday scaled through the first reading at the Lagos State House of Assembly.

The bill, which is a private member bill sponsored by member representing Eti-Osa Constituency 2, Mr. Gbolahan Yishawu, was read on the floor by the Acting Clerk of the House, Segun Abiru.

The bill if passed into law, will prohibit people from smoking tobacco, or anything, which contains tobacco, or any other substance in any place designated as 'No Smoking Area'.

From the commencement of the law, it shall be an offence to smoke in the presence of a child under the age of 15 years in any vehicle or location listed or not listed.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201211010502.html
Re: Lagos Assembly Considers Anti-smoking Bill by Nobody: 1:11pm On Nov 01, 2012
I hope Lagosians write all these laws down,cos its just too much.Don't get me wrong,laws are not expendable in democracy,but they are passing one law after another without creating enough time for awareness and implementation..it's as if they are biting more than they can chew.
Re: Lagos Assembly Considers Anti-smoking Bill by pendusky(m): 1:11pm On Nov 01, 2012
Nice One...That means the Oyibo man for our Office wont Smoke again...Relief... grin
Re: Lagos Assembly Considers Anti-smoking Bill by Nobody: 1:11pm On Nov 01, 2012
IF I HEAR
Re: Lagos Assembly Considers Anti-smoking Bill by pecopeco: 1:15pm On Nov 01, 2012
Aijalon: IF I HEAR
Re: Lagos Assembly Considers Anti-smoking Bill by Chidex2442(m): 1:15pm On Nov 01, 2012
Is dat why fela museum was built?
Re: Lagos Assembly Considers Anti-smoking Bill by Iaz93: 1:17pm On Nov 01, 2012
Cool
Re: Lagos Assembly Considers Anti-smoking Bill by Etumgbe(m): 1:18pm On Nov 01, 2012
wat of IGBO?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Assembly Considers Anti-smoking Bill by Iaz93: 1:18pm On Nov 01, 2012
Aijalon: IF I HEAR
hear wetin??
Re: Lagos Assembly Considers Anti-smoking Bill by Nobody: 1:23pm On Nov 01, 2012
Etumgbe: wat of IGBO?

Smoke it in the bush
Re: Lagos Assembly Considers Anti-smoking Bill by feelamong(m): 1:29pm On Nov 01, 2012
Iaz93:
hear wetin??

hear weeeen embarassed
Re: Lagos Assembly Considers Anti-smoking Bill by feelamong(m): 1:31pm On Nov 01, 2012
sheyie2007:

Smoke it in the bush

Also add Bus parks to that!
Re: Lagos Assembly Considers Anti-smoking Bill by kunlekunle: 1:35pm On Nov 01, 2012
if lagos state was treating or responsible for treating cancer patients, you will ask for a fastracking of the law.
in US and UK it cost the govt alot.
Get used to the law
Re: Lagos Assembly Considers Anti-smoking Bill by Empyv: 1:36pm On Nov 01, 2012
I hear make we start with that smoker fashola then we can enforce it
Re: Lagos Assembly Considers Anti-smoking Bill by Kx: 1:39pm On Nov 01, 2012
Good one but
when will they consider anti pot-hole and anti bad road bill for lagos roads?

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Assembly Considers Anti-smoking Bill by Lusaint(m): 2:06pm On Nov 01, 2012
Dats gud sha o,bt d laws i lagos ar gettin 2 much nd d people may 4get them o
Re: Lagos Assembly Considers Anti-smoking Bill by Shineric: 2:12pm On Nov 01, 2012
As for me, i don't like to see pple smoking like a made in Aba motorcylce.
Re: Lagos Assembly Considers Anti-smoking Bill by acidtalk: 2:20pm On Nov 01, 2012
TInubu no go gree because na him smoke pass.
And na Original, Undilluted Igbo the man dey smoke no be yauwyauw bensons and edges.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Assembly Considers Anti-smoking Bill by igbsam(m): 2:26pm On Nov 01, 2012
Fela's Museum would become the smoking joint then. Or them go open smoking shops & bar. Mehnnnnnnn, see where smoke dey blindfold person!!! grin Na im be say, i go collect license to open smoke shop. If na one stick u wan smoke, u pay N50 to enter my shop and smoke! "SMOKE SHOP ENTERPRISE"
Re: Lagos Assembly Considers Anti-smoking Bill by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 2:37pm On Nov 01, 2012
The most important ones they won't pass e.g grin grin grin
1: No making-up in traffic (Women take note)
2: No wearing low-waist jeans with no panties or dirty panties (thongs only - women take note)
3: No hitching a ride for free from CMS to Maryland and suddenly turning on your helper claiming he did not pay for your services (women take note)
4: No ordering of expensive food items over N1,000 on the first date (women take note)
5: No asking for Blackberry Phone on the second date (women take note)
6: No asking for School fees on the third date (women take note)
7: No asking for money to open a supermarket on the fourth date (women take note)
8: No pinning of unwanted pregnancy on an innocent man (women take note)
9: No wearing of sexy wears into an office to market rubbish products (women take note)
10: No accepting to buy lunch for free for a runs babe (MEN take note)

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Assembly Considers Anti-smoking Bill by TonySpike: 2:39pm On Nov 01, 2012
In civilised and decent societies, we have designated smoking and non-smoking areas. This law is in order...
Re: Lagos Assembly Considers Anti-smoking Bill by Nobody: 3:44pm On Nov 01, 2012
Fashola on point bt me go still day smoke o.i love lagos.
Re: Lagos Assembly Considers Anti-smoking Bill by amunekeuto: 4:01pm On Nov 01, 2012
mukina2: A bill towards prohibiting smoking in designated places for connected purposes yesterday scaled through the first reading at the Lagos State House of Assembly.

The bill, which is a private member bill sponsored by member representing Eti-Osa Constituency 2, Mr. Gbolahan Yishawu, was read on the floor by the Acting Clerk of the House, Segun Abiru.

The bill if passed into law, will prohibit people from smoking tobacco, or anything, which contains tobacco, or any other substance in any place designated as 'No Smoking Area'.

From the commencement of the law, it shall be an offence to smoke in the presence of a child under the age of 15 years in any vehicle or location listed or not listed.

i can always go to police barracks and military bases to smoke since such places cannot be included in the "no smoking areas".
Re: Lagos Assembly Considers Anti-smoking Bill by timpaker(m): 4:31pm On Nov 01, 2012
lagerwhenindoubt: The most important ones they won't pass e.g grin grin grin
1: No making-up in traffic (Women take note)
2: No wearing low-waist jeans with no panties or dirty panties (thongs only - women take note)
3: No hitching a ride for free from CMS to Maryland and suddenly turning on your helper claiming he did not pay for your services (women take note)
4: No ordering of expensive food items over N1,000 on the first date (women take note)
5: No asking for Blackberry Phone on the second date (women take note)
6: No asking for School fees on the third date (women take note)
7: No asking for money to open a supermarket on the fourth date (women take note)
8: No pinning of unwanted pregnancy on an innocent man (women take note)
9: No wearing of sexy wears into an office to market rubbish products (women take note)
10: No accepting to buy lunch for free for a runs babe (MEN take note)

Guy, you are on your own. O.Y.O!
Re: Lagos Assembly Considers Anti-smoking Bill by OYINBOGOJU(m): 5:24pm On Nov 01, 2012
Cigarret can be banned and not my dear God given weeds.

By the way African shrine must be left alone by any means.
Re: Lagos Assembly Considers Anti-smoking Bill by hardbody: 5:29pm On Nov 01, 2012
To make the law the law na one thing, to enforce am na another. Shebi dem talk say make we no dey smoke for car inside traffic? i still dey bass my life away, they should designate smoking joints and we will take it from there. Na smoke dey cause all the traffic abi na smoke dey cause all the potholes and bad roads? Worse still na smoke make them dey rob people all night for third mainland in my very before? stewpid fools with misplaced priorities. I have no qualms about those laws, they should keep churning them out. Very soon it will be like the Criminal Code Act where the police sef no sabi half of the laws contained in the enactment, na today?
Re: Lagos Assembly Considers Anti-smoking Bill by agohavivi(f): 6:08pm On Nov 01, 2012
[b][/b][color=#990000][/color]
mukina2: A bill towards prohibiting smoking in designated places for connected purposes yesterday scaled through the first reading at the Lagos State House of Assembly.

What becomes of TINUBU and FASHOLA? I wonder what becomes of these two chimneys?
Re: Lagos Assembly Considers Anti-smoking Bill by Nobody: 6:23pm On Nov 01, 2012
This bill is a good step towards stemming the incidence of lung cancer. I hope it gets passed by the House Of Assembly and assented to by Governor Fashola. But the LASG should also begin a massive publicity campaign to inform its residents on the health benefits and the need to obey the law.
Re: Lagos Assembly Considers Anti-smoking Bill by Shaggyfreshfish(m): 6:07am On Nov 02, 2012
Eko oni baje oooo!
Re: Lagos Assembly Considers Anti-smoking Bill by Nobody: 6:10am On Nov 02, 2012

(1) (Reply)

Pls Help Me Interpret This Test Result. / I Never Knew We Have Millioniares Here On Nairaland? / Vaccines Can Kill You And Your Child

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.