Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,898 members, 7,817,651 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:21 PM

Okoya-Thomas : Serena Williams Made Me Cry - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okoya-Thomas : Serena Williams Made Me Cry (2962 Views)

Obasanjo, Adenuga, Okoya Welcome Buhari To Ogun State (Photos) / Prof. Alexia Thomas To Buhari: Shut Down Nigerian Embassy In Uk Within 48hrs / Chief Molade Okoya Thomas, The Founder Of Eleganza Group, Is Dead. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okoya-Thomas : Serena Williams Made Me Cry by Mrchippychappy(m): 1:30pm On Nov 01, 2012
The Asoju Oba of Lagos, Chief Molade Okoya-Thomas has revealed that American tennis sensation, Serena Williams made him cry like a baby when she lost the 2004 Wimbledon Open Women’s Singles final match to Maria Sharapova.

The Lagos businessman, Okoya-Thomas made the revelation while welcoming the Williams sisters to Nigeria during a media conference held at the Federal Palace Hotel in Lagos on Wednesday.

Speaking in an emotion laden voice, Okoya-Thomas said: “I welcome the tennis champions who are in Lagos with their mother, Mrs Oracene Price. However, I must tell Nigerians that this lady, Serena once made me cry despite my age.

The day Serena lost her Wimbledon Open final match to Sharapova in London was my saddest day in life. I always watch the Williams sisters anytime they feature in international tennis championships because I like them. But I wept bitterly when she lost that particular match.
“You see, the painful aspect of the whole show was that Serena never acknowledged my cheers despite the fact that I was always there to watch her games(Serena and her sister, Venus burst into laughter).
“I don’t know why, whenever I waved to greet you Serena, you don’t wave back…(Another round of laughter).. please always wave back when next you see me at the grand slam and make me proud as you always do.”

Okoya-Thomas however extolled the virtues of the Williams sisters, and described them as worthy ambassadors of the black race in the world of tennis.
The sports philanthropist also told the tennis icons that they have numerous admirers in Africa, especially in Nigeria.

“You can’t imagine the number of fans who love you in Nigeria. I congratulate your family, especially your father, Mr Williams and your mother Mrs Oracene Price. They have worked very hard to raise you as the very best in the world. I wish you well during your stay in Nigeria,” he said.

Okoya-Thomas concluded his speech by urging the Williams sisters to win more grand slams, and used the occasion to pray for their late sister, Yetunde to rest in perfect peace.
Reacting, Serena and Venus expressed their appreciation to the tennis loving Okoya-Thomas and Nigerians as a whole for supporting them and their careers.

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2012/10/31/serena-made-me-cry-at-wimbledon-says-okoya-thomas/
Re: Okoya-Thomas : Serena Williams Made Me Cry by k2039: 1:42pm On Nov 01, 2012
Omi lo poju loju Okoya.
Re: Okoya-Thomas : Serena Williams Made Me Cry by Katsumoto: 2:06pm On Nov 01, 2012
My ChippyChappy,

Molade Okoya-Thomas is not the Oba of Lagos.

Being that you are ignorant of his position and the identity of the actual Oba, I can see why you may been misled.

Please correct your title.
Re: Okoya-Thomas : Serena Williams Made Me Cry by Horus(m): 2:15pm On Nov 01, 2012
Re: Okoya-Thomas : Serena Williams Made Me Cry by wonlasewonimi: 2:18pm On Nov 01, 2012
Duh, saddest day of your life? When your parents peme nko?

1 Like

Re: Okoya-Thomas : Serena Williams Made Me Cry by otokx(m): 2:21pm On Nov 01, 2012
some lies are fabulous

2 Likes

Re: Okoya-Thomas : Serena Williams Made Me Cry by Pennywise(m): 2:27pm On Nov 01, 2012
That must be the William Sister with the arsz. She makes me cry too.

1 Like

Re: Okoya-Thomas : Serena Williams Made Me Cry by Nobody: 2:31pm On Nov 01, 2012
Let the man save his tears jare! There are better things to cry for in this country. embarassed

1 Like

Re: Okoya-Thomas : Serena Williams Made Me Cry by kokoA(m): 2:31pm On Nov 01, 2012
Dey man well so? undecided undecided
Re: Okoya-Thomas : Serena Williams Made Me Cry by vislabraye(m): 2:37pm On Nov 01, 2012
When has tennis become like football? This man is joking.
Re: Okoya-Thomas : Serena Williams Made Me Cry by Horus(m): 12:34am On Nov 03, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26ZzDS7Kxlk&feature=colike

Williams sisters visit governor Fashola
Re: Okoya-Thomas : Serena Williams Made Me Cry by Nobody: 12:57am On Nov 03, 2012
I cried as well after watching her massive batty bounce around like they have got hydraulics on 'em, only to end up losing to skinny Sharapova... sad

Serena can get it! grin
Re: Okoya-Thomas : Serena Williams Made Me Cry by naptu2: 3:14am On Nov 03, 2012
vislabraye: When has tennis become like football? This man is joking.

He might be joking, but tennis means more to him than football. Tennis and table tennis are his life. He used to sponsor the Asoju Oba competition back in the day (my relatives were in the committee). I'm not sure who between him and Lord Rumens (Chief Alabi) has been the biggest benefactor of tennis in Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Okoya-Thomas : Serena Williams Made Me Cry by azpekuliar: 3:39am On Nov 03, 2012
Why him dey tell us...Haaaa! Abi him wan add am to him wives? Hmm, this might be his chance!
Re: Okoya-Thomas : Serena Williams Made Me Cry by gulfer: 7:16am On Nov 03, 2012
naptu2:

He might be joking, but tennis means more to him than football. Tennis and table tennis are his life. He used to sponsor the Asoju Oba competition back in the day (my relatives were in the committee). I'm not sure who between him and Lord Rumens (Chief Alabi) has been the biggest benefactor of tennis in Nigeria.
Make them give am bucket make hin cry more na, he is not crying for the state of sport (lawn Tennis) and development but weeping crocodilian tears for a babe that doesn't know he exists! angry angry angry angry
Re: Okoya-Thomas : Serena Williams Made Me Cry by yuzedo: 7:20am On Nov 03, 2012
I cried too when I was watching her sweet bouncing nyash and NEPA took light! cry embarassed
I had already rubbed vaseline on my badonkey!!! angry angry

1 Like

Re: Okoya-Thomas : Serena Williams Made Me Cry by floriana(m): 7:29am On Nov 03, 2012
Weeping only shows that Okoya Thomas is a man with blood flowing in his veins. Which man no go weep when Serena plays tennis? Venus never makes me weep though. I don't know why!

(1) (Reply)

Can Tambuwal Be Impeached? / Pdp's Documentaries VS Apc's Rebuttals VS Icc's 'evidence' (what Are Your Views) / Why I Made Up My Mind the more not to ever support Buhar and Co

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.