Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,126 members, 7,818,377 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:54 PM

State University Graduates Vs Federal University Graduates, Nigeria - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / State University Graduates Vs Federal University Graduates, Nigeria (24530 Views)

Massive Recruitment at Federal University, Kashere Gombe State, May 2015 / Academic And Non-academic Job Vacancies At Federal University, Oye-ekiti 14 Vac / 5 Job Seeking Tips For New University Graduates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

State University Graduates Vs Federal University Graduates, Nigeria by webcalculator(m): 10:25pm On Nov 02, 2012
what is actually going on in the labour market?

i'm a corps member and i want to use this medium to understand better what is actually going on in the labour market.

i graduated from a state university, with a very good honours, and the intimidation i'm getting from my fellow corps members that graduated from federal universities is just unbearable. Inferiority complexes are quietly creepping into my life

when i graduated from secondary school, i had admission in a federal university cu.m state university. i was offered civil engineering in the federal uni., and electrical in the state. my passion then was to study electrical engineering and i don't want to waste a year, so i chose electrical and that landed me in a state university.

the shock is that my fellow corps members were like i went to no school, employers don't employe graduates from state universities.

though i know that i'm academically sound, i have developed inferiority complexes. my thinking now is whether i will ever get employed.

please, is it true that employers despise state university graduates?
Re: State University Graduates Vs Federal University Graduates, Nigeria by netotse(m): 10:32pm On Nov 02, 2012
No it's not true...is that what you want to hear?...lol

Ignore all the talk, keep applying for jobs and when you get the opportunity, show them how sound you are...
If it's the school you went to today, tomorrow it'll be the grades you got, day after, the village you come from...there will never be an end to the things that companies purportedly use to screen workers.

5 Likes

Re: State University Graduates Vs Federal University Graduates, Nigeria by Nobody: 10:41pm On Nov 02, 2012
lmao... don't you have dreams, visions and aspirations ??

My friend, don't let anyone block your mental, business, entrepreneural or 'job-seeking ability..

What happened to those that attended Queens & Kings International school, Lagos or Abuja and their counterparts from ga. .ri community grammar - high school, oke-dipetele.. ? They all sat for waec and neco, isn't it?

Relax your mind, build your own dreams and watch..

3 Likes

Re: State University Graduates Vs Federal University Graduates, Nigeria by Nobody: 10:50pm On Nov 02, 2012
employers don't employe graduates from state universities.

This is what we hear when people go to school to learn cultism

3 Likes

Re: State University Graduates Vs Federal University Graduates, Nigeria by mrprince3: 11:53am On Nov 03, 2012
my elder brother just got a job as a Graduate assistant in one of the newly established Federal university. FUNAI.... He went to A State University. Now got employed on merit in a Fed. Uni. Coys dont look at that shit anymore! Get a good grade 2:1, and you are good to go!

4 Likes

Re: State University Graduates Vs Federal University Graduates, Nigeria by man119: 4:27pm On Nov 03, 2012

1 Like 1 Share

Re: State University Graduates Vs Federal University Graduates, Nigeria by Nobody: 4:28pm On Nov 03, 2012
Ewoo! Don't let them get to u.this is the worst thing u can do to urself-not believing u can make it no matter what.1st,the idea that u can't get employed as a state uni grad. is Fallacy.2nd,u went for ur dream course,u got it and 2day u are a graduate.if u have succeeded in these phases,what makes u think u can't succeed in making a living out of it? Brace up dude,believe in urself, and start working doggedly to make it in life as an Elect. Engineer...nothing is impossible!

2 Likes

Re: State University Graduates Vs Federal University Graduates, Nigeria by Nobody: 4:28pm On Nov 03, 2012
They are the same.

They are both products of the failed Nigerian educational system.

I can't say the same for Polytechnic graduates though smiley

3 Likes

Re: State University Graduates Vs Federal University Graduates, Nigeria by codernoni: 4:30pm On Nov 03, 2012
Start a business.
Re: State University Graduates Vs Federal University Graduates, Nigeria by lifestyle1(m): 4:30pm On Nov 03, 2012
And is it a must you work for somebody ? undecided

2 Likes

Re: State University Graduates Vs Federal University Graduates, Nigeria by mascot87(m): 4:41pm On Nov 03, 2012
The awkward moment when you start listening to discouragement of people you are better than. I graduated from a federal university but that make me not better than any other graduate from either a state uni,polytechnic or a private uni. What matters most is how much I have positioned myself to get educated,to get enlighten and to position myself to get informed and make quality decision to get to the peak of my career and above all God's divine posittioning of your life. Dont let people look down on you,u are a peculiar person and the best is about to happen in your life.

2 Likes

Re: State University Graduates Vs Federal University Graduates, Nigeria by yemmyma: 4:44pm On Nov 03, 2012
Welcome to Nigeria!

My advice to you, keep applying for jobs and don't turn a blind eye on a Masters degree abroad in fact aim for schorlarhip, partial or full from a good school.

When you are done with your masters, they won't look down on you anymore.

As for which is better state or federal, you definitely won't win those folks just trying to make themselves happy.

3 Likes

Re: State University Graduates Vs Federal University Graduates, Nigeria by Lagoseko(m): 4:47pm On Nov 03, 2012
My dear, the truth is that some coy dnt employ state uni graduates even if u made first class. Its d bitter truth but u can get job from other good coy. Gud luk.

2 Likes

Re: State University Graduates Vs Federal University Graduates, Nigeria by Shaw007(m): 4:51pm On Nov 03, 2012
And ur supposed 2 Give 2 fu*cks about what they think?? undecided
Re: State University Graduates Vs Federal University Graduates, Nigeria by Nobody: 4:53pm On Nov 03, 2012
Pass the interview first before u worry ur small brain.
Re: State University Graduates Vs Federal University Graduates, Nigeria by mu2sa2: 4:55pm On Nov 03, 2012
Webcalculator, looks like u ar feeling inferior psychologically, because u think federal unversities ar better than state universites.U ar ur own problem! Pls get out of ur inferiority complex and face life`s challenges boldly.
Re: State University Graduates Vs Federal University Graduates, Nigeria by igbojicollins: 4:55pm On Nov 03, 2012
My friend make ursef employable and don't listen 2 wat any fool tells u.2 tins will save you in the Nigerian labour market,"WHAT U CAN DO" and "WHO YOU KNOW".But even if u don't know anybody,be creative and innovative,You will see yourself soaring high.These useless beliefs and stories are d main reasons most graduates are not employed and even not fit 2 be employed.USE YOUR HEAD!!!
Re: State University Graduates Vs Federal University Graduates, Nigeria by desertboom(m): 4:56pm On Nov 03, 2012
Lagoseko: My dear, the truth is that some coy dnt employ state uni graduates even if u made first class. Its d bitter truth but u can get job from other good coy. Gud luk.
[quote author=Lagoseko]
Please, could you tell us the name of this firm?
Thanks

2 Likes

Re: State University Graduates Vs Federal University Graduates, Nigeria by Lagoseko(m): 5:03pm On Nov 03, 2012
When Access was Access i.e b4 they bought inter they dnt employ state uni grad. I dnt know of now. They ar so many of them.
Re: State University Graduates Vs Federal University Graduates, Nigeria by desertboom(m): 5:09pm On Nov 03, 2012
Thanks for the quick responses.
Re: State University Graduates Vs Federal University Graduates, Nigeria by saintgwizard(m): 5:11pm On Nov 03, 2012
Lie! Whether state or federal so far you are sound accademically you got nothing to worry about. The only truth is that a larger proportion of sound graduates are from federal universities, this is traceable to the fact that at entry level, competiton is stiff and the tougher guys get into federal university.

1 Like

Re: State University Graduates Vs Federal University Graduates, Nigeria by Inspired4life: 5:13pm On Nov 03, 2012
Nigeria's Federal and State universities are products of the educational decadence occasioned by poor funding and incessant disruption of academic calendar due to strikes. Nigerian universities are poorly ranked globally. Be that as it may, and from my experience employers in Nigeria are not too choosy when it comes to university, rather they are choosy when it comes to grade and course. So the onus is on you to prove yourself as equal opportunity will be given to both federal and state university graduates to prove themselves in your prospective employer's recruitment test.

2 Likes

Re: State University Graduates Vs Federal University Graduates, Nigeria by Nobody: 5:16pm On Nov 03, 2012
life_style: And is it a must you work for somebody ? undecided

what do you expect from a Nigerian graduate grin grin
Re: State University Graduates Vs Federal University Graduates, Nigeria by Kandaha: 5:21pm On Nov 03, 2012
Its cos u've chosen to feel Inferior. GBAM!
Re: State University Graduates Vs Federal University Graduates, Nigeria by jayboiedo(m): 5:28pm On Nov 03, 2012
Let those feduni studnt attend state uni then they wil know hw challengin it is...I sorry for u 4 lukin down on ur sef even dos feduni guyz re nt better than U...
Re: State University Graduates Vs Federal University Graduates, Nigeria by Richy4(m): 5:30pm On Nov 03, 2012
If you have something upstairs,and can defend what you studied,you have no problem. they are your fellow corp members as you said and they have not tested labour market for one day to know if it favor those that attended state or federal University. I graduated from state University. if you remember the one that made news sometime ago that three corp members from a particular uni were rejected by the NYSC officals because they could not write their names..............I guess you've recalled wink.

In my department we were 98 that graduated,51 are working in various banks In Nigeria.some of us have worked and resign in order to further our studies abroad. so do not be intimidated by them. they will always like to pull you down just to look good.where u are going to in life does not have anything to do with the state of federal University. rather it is a stepping stone to your success
Re: State University Graduates Vs Federal University Graduates, Nigeria by ziccoit: 5:33pm On Nov 03, 2012
Dollard could be a product of prestigious Harvard University. The type of stuff emanating from you determines how people will describe you not the house that houses you.

1 Like

Re: State University Graduates Vs Federal University Graduates, Nigeria by Idacrux: 5:40pm On Nov 03, 2012
Bro. Is true partially because u can't drop pple dat graduated from these gr8 skuls like ui,unn,oau,abu... et al and go on to pick graduates of lasu,ansu,imsu,esuth,ksu... et al.
Just prove ur worth in d labour.

1 Like

Re: State University Graduates Vs Federal University Graduates, Nigeria by Nobody: 5:51pm On Nov 03, 2012
Idacrux: Bro. Is true partially because u can't drop pple dat graduated from these gr8 skuls like ui,unn,oau,abu... et al and go on to pick graduates of lasu,ansu,imsu,esuth,ksu... et al.
Just prove ur worth in d labour.

You are a graduate.. with a masters degree in ignorance

4 Likes

Re: State University Graduates Vs Federal University Graduates, Nigeria by eminemkayc: 5:51pm On Nov 03, 2012
LOL....
Re: State University Graduates Vs Federal University Graduates, Nigeria by SamMilla1(m): 6:07pm On Nov 03, 2012
webcalculator: what is actually going on in the labour market?

i'm a corps member and i want to use this medium to understand better what is actually going on in the labour market.

i graduated from a state university, with a very good honours, and the intimidation i'm getting from my fellow corps members that graduated from federal universities is just unbearable. Inferiority complexes are quietly creepping into my life

when i graduated from secondary school, i had admission in a federal university cum state university. i was offered civil engineering in the federal uni., and electrical in the state. my passion then was to study electrical engineering and i don't want to waste a year, so i choosed electrical and that landed me in a state university.

the shock is that my fellow corps members were like i went to no school, employers don't employe graduates from state universities.

though i know that i'm academically sound, i have developed inferiority complexes. my thinking now is whether i will ever get employed.

please, is it true that employers despise state university graduates?

You CHOOSED electrical.
You can now see why labour market is too creepy for you.

3 Likes

Re: State University Graduates Vs Federal University Graduates, Nigeria by dridowu: 6:07pm On Nov 03, 2012
With ur inferiority complex , i think u are about to loose . No matter d Course of study at d University, d way u dev ursef outside d 4 walls of UNIVERSITY really goes a long way. Morever d field is about prayer and connection

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Peace Corps To Employ 800,000 Youths / UBA Plc Aptitude Test Invitees, Lets Meet Here / My Interview Experience At A Law Firm In Lekki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.