Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,941 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:27 PM

To Christians And Muslims - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / To Christians And Muslims (1362 Views)

Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship / Islamic Practices In The Bible Unknown To Christians / Atheists, Christians And Muslims - Lets Study These Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

To Christians And Muslims by Nobody: 5:20pm On Nov 05, 2012
If dropping the foreign religions(Christianity & Islam) would bring development to Nigeria, would you?

NB: A big if here. I'm not saying it would. Just given a choice between your beliefs and development, which would you pick?

EDITED FOR CLARITY:
Mee234:
Japan is not develop because they believe in God but because they are 'diligent in business'
DILIGENT. I agree with your statement that hardwork, not religion or the lack of it is what led to their development.
Bringing this into the Nigerian context, Christianity in particular, I have a few more questions.
- I think we would both agree that Nigerians are not lazy people. I believe we(generalization alert) have become a people that have fallen in love with MEDIOCRITY and a POOR STANDARD of life, due to our governments ruinous actions and inactions. I'd say religion has played a huge role in this. We have church leaders who dine and are close allies to the corrupt leaders. They even advice we pary for them cos the BIBLE says 'pray for those in authority'. Compare to an atheist country like Japan where a leader resigns once a slight hint of corruption is attached to himself.
People are generally disillusioned to believe that whatever leader we have in Nigeria was placed there by God for a specific time and purpose.

I remember a close friend of mine saying Yaradua, though Muslim, could still be used by God. Of course, when Goodluck came on board, she said 'his name is Goodluck, and he's always been blessed by God'. When fuel subsidy was removed, most pastors, instead of asking people to hold their government accountable, advice that they pray that God blesses them so that they're able to live above the circumstances.

Mee234:
believing in God does not make any body poor but rather general outlook and value is what make a person what he/she is. There is one verse in my bible that Says 'seeth thou a man diligent in his business...........' a man, not an atheist, not a religious man but a man
How many of our church leaders preach this? It's been changed to 'Seeth thou a man who pays his tithes' 'Seeth thou a man who doesn't speak evil about his pastor'....
I'm not saying religion is the root cause of this, of course illiteracy is, but like I would always say, religion and illiteracy is a just a keg of gun powder waiting to explode. In our case, I think it's exploded a long time back. The destruction becomes more visible daily.
Thanks btw. I really appreciate your answers.. smiley

1 Like

Re: To Christians And Muslims by k2039: 5:40pm On Nov 05, 2012
I dont do religion,I worship Christ and that comes ahead of every other thing
Re: To Christians And Muslims by Nobody: 5:45pm On Nov 05, 2012
k2039: I dont do religion,I worship Christ and that comes ahead of every other thing

Worshipping christ is religion.

The nonsense that comes out of NL christians' mouths at times.....

2 Likes

Re: To Christians And Muslims by Nobody: 5:46pm On Nov 05, 2012
k2039: I dont do religion,I worship Christ and that comes ahead of every other thing
You worship a deity. That's religion, dude...

Alright,WORSHIP vs DEVELOPMENT?

Una dey taya person sometyms..
Re: To Christians And Muslims by mumumugu(m): 6:21pm On Nov 05, 2012
Let me remix ur question. GOD VS NIGERIA.CHOOSE ONE

GOD ALL THE WAY
Re: To Christians And Muslims by JeSoul(f): 6:22pm On Nov 05, 2012
musKeeto: If dropping the foreign religions(Christianity & Islam) would bring development to Nigeria, would you?

NB: A big if here. I'm not saying it would. Just given a choice between your beliefs and development, which would you pick?
But this your question get k-leg now...

it assumes religion and level of development are related - and incompatible or that one cannot thrive in the presence of the other. Or am I mistaken?
Re: To Christians And Muslims by Nobody: 6:34pm On Nov 05, 2012
JeSoul: But this your question get k-leg now...

it assumes religion and level of development are related - and incompatible or that one cannot thrive in the presence of the other. Or am I mistaken?

Yes, there are correlations between societal development and religion. Negative.
Re: To Christians And Muslims by Nobody: 6:35pm On Nov 05, 2012
JeSoul: But this your question get k-leg now...

Lol.. good day Ma..

muskeeto: NB: A big if here. I'm not saying it would. Just given a choice between your beliefs and development, which would you pick?

They're compatible. But WE live in an undeveloped society that's highly religious. Would like to know if Nigerian Christians and Muslims would prefer a more advanced society that's less religious.
hmm, maybe the question don change or I just made it clearer..
Re: To Christians And Muslims by JeSoul(f): 6:55pm On Nov 05, 2012
musKeeto:
Lol.. good day Ma..
Good day oh oga smiley

They're compatible. But WE live in an undeveloped society that's highly religious. Would like to know if Nigerian Christians and Muslims would prefer a more advanced society that's less religious.
hmm, maybe the question don change or I just made it clearer..
lol. The question don change. For me yes -kind-of. The mess that I saw in naija all in the name of 'religion' was sad.

On the flip side, I believe religion a-la-naija-style is merely an outlet for a collectively frustrated mass - take away religion and they'll merely replace it with something else to vent. As history has shown, religion can be a weapon on great destruction or unto great good - proving that the effects of religion depends on the person (or in this case the country) weilding it.
Re: To Christians And Muslims by Nobody: 7:00pm On Nov 05, 2012

Oh really?
Then how come a majority if not all ur posts about christ are in the religion section, not culture section?

Mehn, the sillyness of christians knows no bounds.
Re: To Christians And Muslims by Nobody: 7:05pm On Nov 05, 2012
inurmind:

Oh really?
Then how come a majority if not all ur posts about christ are in the religion section, not culture section?

Sometimes, I just taya for them.. you should read Ihedinobi's definition of Xtianity. lol.. i got so confused, i thought he was a christian chinese monk..
Re: To Christians And Muslims by k2039: 7:37pm On Nov 05, 2012
inurmind:

Oh really?

You should ask Seun that question
Re: To Christians And Muslims by cyrexx: 7:40pm On Nov 05, 2012
musKeeto:
Sometimes, I just taya for them.. you should read Ihedinobi's definition of Xtianity. lol.. i got so confused, i thought he was a christian chinese monk..

LOL

to them any belief system that is different from their brand of christianity is religion, while their own particular brand of christianity is life of Christ but other brands are nothing but religion.

Confused confusers
Re: To Christians And Muslims by Nobody: 7:49pm On Nov 05, 2012
musKeeto: If dropping the foreign religions(Christianity & Islam) would bring development to Nigeria, would you?

Who says having faith in God is an enemy of development? The two can work together! Unless ofcourse, you want to force the mark of the beast on us *Smh for our future leaders*
Re: To Christians And Muslims by Nobody: 7:52pm On Nov 05, 2012
seriallink:

Who says having faith in God is an enemy of development? The two can work together! Unless ofcourse, you want to force the mark of the beast on us *Smh for our future leaders*
Do you guys read? Wtf? If you have no answer, move on...
Re: To Christians And Muslims by Nobody: 8:01pm On Nov 05, 2012
musKeeto:
Do you guys read? Wtf? If you have no answer, move on...

grin grin Well, I'll go for Christ first!

It's written:

Matthew 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
Re: To Christians And Muslims by wiegraf: 8:02pm On Nov 05, 2012
And I shall proceed with the derailing, as I personally expect more people dodging the question, what comes first? Poverty/backwardness then religion, or the reverse?

Question not for anyone taking some silly offense btw. I don't have the energy to show you the correlation between poverty and religion atm so I'll ignore you. As you'd probably be religious, and may have some silly gripe about this being the 'religion' section, I am discussing religion, just not with you.
Re: To Christians And Muslims by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:16pm On Nov 05, 2012
Logicboy03:

Worshipping christ is religion.

The nonsense that comes out of NL christians' mouths at times.....

lol
Re: To Christians And Muslims by Areaboy2(m): 8:22pm On Nov 05, 2012
seriallink:

grin grin Well, I'll go for Christ first!

It's written:

Matthew 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

una too like to read things out of context when it favours you. but do the opposite when it doesn't. I taya for una oh

Matthew 6: 31-34 "Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. 33 But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble." Do you really wana take theses verses literally? undecided
Re: To Christians And Muslims by plaetton: 8:32pm On Nov 05, 2012
seriallink:

Can you cite any examples, ancient or modern, where the two have worked hand in hand?
Re: To Christians And Muslims by Nobody: 8:36pm On Nov 05, 2012
Area_boy:

una too like to read things out of context when it favours you. but do the opposite when it doesn't. I taya for una oh

Matthew 6: 31-34 "Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. 33 But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble." Do you really wana take theses verses literally? undecided

Since the bolded is there, I'll choose my faith first. Shikena
Re: To Christians And Muslims by Nobody: 8:47pm On Nov 05, 2012
plaetton:

Can you cite any examples, ancient or modern, where the two have worked hand in hand?

Lol, there so many developed Countries that are very religious. The two have always worked hand in hand brah!
Re: To Christians And Muslims by Nobody: 8:47pm On Nov 05, 2012
seriallink:

Lol, there so many developed Countries that are very religious. The two have always worked hand in hand brah!

like which ones
Re: To Christians And Muslims by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:55pm On Nov 05, 2012
Logicboy03:

like which ones

Afghanistan
Re: To Christians And Muslims by Nobody: 10:03pm On Nov 05, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

Afghanistan

I prefer Iraq.

They have development. Development of suicide bombs grin grin grin
Re: To Christians And Muslims by Nobody: 10:04pm On Nov 05, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

Afghanistan

Lol, why Afghanistan? *smh*
*I don answer musKeeto, make I go online bible study*
Re: To Christians And Muslims by Chrisbenogor(m): 10:23am On Nov 06, 2012
There are good people and there are bad people. It does not matter if there is religion or not, people would find ways to make even the most innocent of things harmful to others.
Re: To Christians And Muslims by vedaxcool(m): 11:08am On Nov 06, 2012
The question suffers from amnesia of a sort, The real issue should be how does religion affect development negatively? By development what do we mean? You guys simply ask question half headedly, and expect that somehow, it will be worth someone's while. In Nigeria ethnicity is actually king not religion take it or leave it, Nigeria will always cheat you regardless of whether you are their brothers in faith as long as their ethnic interest lies in excluding you, you will definitely be the looser. Maybe we need to read the struggles between the have and have not, everything our leaders do is simply to ensue they have easier access to our common resource, and everything Nigeria stands for now, cheating, stealing goes totally against religions we practice. Hope you see why your question does not really make sense,as it did not demonstrate how religion will retard growth rather than promote it.

1 Like

Re: To Christians And Muslims by Nobody: 11:13am On Nov 06, 2012
vedaxcool: The question suffers from amnesia of a sort, The real issue should be how does religion affect development negatively? By development what do we mean? You guys simply ask question half headedly, and expect that somehow, it will be worth someone's while. In Nigeria ethnicity is actually king not religion take it or leave it, Nigeria will always cheat you regardless of whether you are their brothers in faith as long as their ethnic interest lies in excluding you, you will definitely be the looser. Maybe we need to read the struggles between the have and have not, everything our leaders do is simply to ensue they have easier access to our common resource, and everything Nigeria stands for now, cheating, stealing goes totally against religions we practice. Hope you see why your question does not really make sense,as it did not demonstrate how religion will retard growth rather than promote it.

Apologies.

QUESTION
Would you prefer to be a citizen of an atheist Japan or a religious Nigeria? This isn't about morals, or doing right and wrong. Most religions promise heaven after our abode here - this promise of a resting place is especially attractive to those who come from poorer areas around the world.
Re: To Christians And Muslims by Nobody: 12:22pm On Nov 06, 2012
[quote author=musKeeto]

Apologies.

QUESTION
Would you prefer to be a citizen of an atheist Japan or a religious Nigeria? This isn't about morals, or doing right and wrong. Most religions promise heaven after our abode here - this promise of a resting place is especially attractive to those who come from poorer areas around the world. [/quote
Japan is not develop because they believe in God but because they are 'diligent in business'
believing in God does not make any body poor but rather general outlook and value is what make a person what he/she is. There is one verse in my bible that Says 'seeth thou a man diligent in his business...........' a man, not an atheist, not a religious man but a man
Re: To Christians And Muslims by Nobody: 12:24pm On Nov 06, 2012
Mee234:
Finally, a good answer.. I'll be back with another question..

Thumbs up..
Re: To Christians And Muslims by wiegraf: 2:05pm On Nov 06, 2012
[quote author=Mee234][/quote]

Yeah, at last a decent answer. But doesn't religion encourage a poor outlook on life? If one thinks his rewards are in the next world, he would try less in this one. Just like we tend to 'leave everything to god'

(1) (2) (Reply)

2013 Prophecies And Solutions From Celica Church Of Christ Worldwide / 11 Ways To Receive The Holy Spirit As Per The Bible / Dear Allah, It's Me David: An Open Letter To Allah

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.