Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,115 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:26 PM

Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship (15097 Views)

He Decided To Teach Them A Lesson By Disturbing Them. Check The Pictures / Worship Of Mary And The Use Of Images In The Catholic Church / Islamic Practices In The Bible Unknown To Christians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by Williamfors(m): 9:44am On Nov 11, 2012
What is the origin of the myth?

“Images were unknown in the worship of the primitive Christians . . . The admission of images into the church in the 4th and 5th centuries was justified on the theory that the ignorant people could learn the facts of Christianity from them better than from sermons or books.”— Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological, and Ecclesiastical Literature, by McClintock and Strong, Volume 4, pages 503 and 504.
What does the Bible say?

“You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them.” (Exodus 20:4, 5, The Holy Bible —New International Version) The apostle John wrote to first-century Christians: “Little children, guard yourselves from idols.” —1 John 5:21.

Are images, as the churches claim, simply a means of approaching and honoring what they represent? “At first,” states The Encyclopedia of Religion, “images may have served primarily didactic [teaching] and decorative purposes; at least, they were defended on such grounds. But soon they came to fill admittedly devotional functions. This was especially true of the icons that became a prominent feature of Eastern Orthodoxy.” However, the prophet Isaiah rightly asked: “To whom can you compare God? What image can you contrive of him?” —Isaiah 40:18, The New Jerusalem Bible.

Compare these Bible verses: Isaiah 44:13-19; Acts 10:25, 26; 17:29; 2 Corinthians 5:7
FACT:

God does not approve of the use of images and icon

9 Likes

Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by eduson55(m): 10:20am On Nov 11, 2012
tell them
Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by Okijajuju1(m): 10:36am On Nov 11, 2012
.How does this affect the color of Pastor Oritsejafor jet... angry

7 Likes

Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by leslieu63(m): 10:40am On Nov 11, 2012
Okija_juju: .How does this affect the color of Pastor Oritsejafor jet... angry
abi
Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by Patdedon(m): 10:43am On Nov 11, 2012
When yorubas prostrate to salute, do you call that worship? Don't say what you do not comprehend, rather seek for clarification. I don't want to argue religion though.

8 Likes

Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by Sagytarius(m): 10:45am On Nov 11, 2012
i'll be back. Lemme finish greeting my church members.
#sights one sense-making chick and advances towards her.

2 Likes

Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by forkinsonlolo(m): 10:45am On Nov 11, 2012
God doesnt have an image. no one has never seen God before, stop associating partner with God

2 Likes

Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by Kslib(m): 10:46am On Nov 11, 2012
Okija_juju: .How does this affect the color of Pastor Oritsejafor jet... angry
Your mumu na die!! Inshort,i hereby name you MUSA Muhammed(hausa name)...... Musiwa Mukinatu(youruba name).... Mumunus Ibekwe(igbo name).....

5 Likes

Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by Upright750: 10:46am On Nov 11, 2012
You have not even go to church but ur here quoting bible. Do you guys think u will understand bible without the spirit of God in you. Please go to church or are u guys running away from church cuz of boko haram and their bomb.

1 Like

Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by mascot87(m): 10:47am On Nov 11, 2012
The use of images as a representation of God is TOTALLY wrong. How can we represent how creator as images?Why should we use it as a channel towards talking to our God. Image representation of our God is demolic and its a means by which the devil uses human to worship him. God is not happy about image representation of HIM. He condem it in strong terms in his WORD. If we are into image representation of God PLEASE STOP IT AND REPENT. Thank you

4 Likes

Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by Ayoobscom(m): 10:47am On Nov 11, 2012
I entered church 4 d 1st time to attend a friends wedding and when I saw different gargoyles of images across the wall in different marry Jesus I became scared as a Muslim it seems like I was in the sculptures arcade..

I can't even let my kid see those horrible arts he will scream and yell..seriously what for

2 Likes

Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by Nobody: 10:49am On Nov 11, 2012
@op pls define d word idol
Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by Sagytarius(m): 10:51am On Nov 11, 2012
Kslib:
Your mumu na die!! Inshort,i hereby name you MUSA Muhammed(hausa name)...... Musiwa Mukinatu(youruba name).... Mumunus Ibekwe(igbo name).....
Tehehehehehe. grin grin Which one be mumunus again o.
tehehehehehe. grin grin
Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by Deivid10(m): 10:51am On Nov 11, 2012
Check it out... @Op u must be a 7th day advent... Its nw so obvious that they(advent) n d catholics ve nt yet reconcile their differences... I knw u re talkin to them directly
Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by mumumugu(m): 10:51am On Nov 11, 2012
Williamfors:

“Images were unknown in the worship of the primitive Christians . . . The admission of images into the church in the 4th and 5th centuries was justified on the theory that the ignorant people could learn the facts of Christianity from them better than from sermons or books.”— Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological, and Ecclesiastical Literature, by McClintock and Strong, Volume 4, pages 503 and 504.
What does the Bible say?

“You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them.” (Exodus 20:4, 5, The Holy Bible —New International Version) The apostle John wrote to first-century Christians: “Little children, guard yourselves from idols.” —1 John 5:21.

Are images, as the churches claim, simply a means of approaching and honoring what they represent? “At first,” states The Encyclopedia of Religion, “images may have served primarily didactic [teaching] and decorative purposes; at least, they were defended on such grounds. But soon they came to fill admittedly devotional functions. This was especially true of the icons that became a prominent feature of Eastern Orthodoxy.” However, the prophet Isaiah rightly asked: “To whom can you compare God? What image can you contrive of him?” —Isaiah 40:18, The New Jerusalem Bible.

Compare these Bible verses: Isaiah 44:13-19; Acts 10:25, 26; 17:29; 2 Corinthians 5:7
FACT:

hmmm, why did he ask moses to mold a bronze serpent
Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by Nobody: 10:52am On Nov 11, 2012
forkinsonlolo: God doesnt have an image. no one has never seen God before, stop associating partner with God

1 Like

Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by Nobody: 10:53am On Nov 11, 2012
forkinsonlolo: God doesnt have an image. no one has never seen God before, stop associating partner with God
no1 says d image of God d fada..... But dont 4get Jesus is God
Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by stronger: 10:56am On Nov 11, 2012
Com'on guys. This is a no-brainer!
If you have a portrait of your mum at home,does that automatically mean she is an IDOL you are worshipping?
Let's stop mixing things up. Nothing wrong with having images or portraits as long as d only person u worship is God!

1 Like

Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by SlyIg(f): 10:56am On Nov 11, 2012
These children will not allow me to rest o. Hahahahahahahahaha...
@Op, abeg worship your God as you understand and leave others to theirs. Having the image of your dad in room,does it mean you are worshipping your dad? I dont know why some people won't mind their religion! Worship what you believe and let others worship what they believe in! As simple as that!

3 Likes

Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by 9jaboyzm(m): 10:57am On Nov 11, 2012
Kslib:
Your mumu na die!! Inshort,i hereby name you MUSA

grin grin grin
Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by forkinsonlolo(m): 10:57am On Nov 11, 2012
we dont suppose to have image in the house of the Lord, it is God house for God sake

1 Like

Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by Nobody: 10:58am On Nov 11, 2012
Patdedon: When yorubas prostrate to salute, do you call that worship? Don't say what you do not comprehend, rather seek for clarification. I don't want to argue religion though.

I guess u're catholic! The instruction was don't make any! Don't make any! The truth is bitter ooooh! Don't make, don't bow! Simple english.

5 Likes

Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by Patdedon(m): 10:59am On Nov 11, 2012
agabasam: no1 sees d image of God d fada.....we all see that of God the son.......

Tell them my brother. It is wrong to make God's image cause no one has seen God (Only the invisible father). That is only what the bible disapproves.
Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by Youngzedd(m): 10:59am On Nov 11, 2012
Upright750: You have not even go to church but ur here quoting bible. Do you guys think u will understand bible without the spirit of God in you. Please go to church or are u guys running away from church cuz of boko haram and their bomb.

The guy is saying the truth naa.

I was born in Catholic church and am still there, I went to 7am mass.

"You shall know the truth and only the truth shall set you free"

Remember the scripture said you shall not add or remove.

I do attend church programs but I will NEVER worship idol, I will never bow to the images we have in church.
To avoid Gods' wrath.

Always open ur bible atleat 5 times in a week.

Don't be deceived.

3 Likes

Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by ikennaya(m): 10:59am On Nov 11, 2012
Idolatry.....
Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by sosodevf(m): 10:59am On Nov 11, 2012
[quote author=Ayoobscom]I entered church 4 d 1st time to attend a friends wedding and when I saw different gargoyles of images across the wall in different marry Jesus I became scared as a Muslim it seems like I was in the sculptures arcade..

I can't even let my kid see those horrible arts he will scream and yell..seriously what for [/
quote]
Oluku, u hv not bordered or scared of a BH(ur brother) hitting his head on D floor beside u in a mosque wearing a suicide vest.

1 Like

Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by Ubenedictus(m): 11:01am On Nov 11, 2012
Williamfors:

What does the Bible say?

FACT:

http://www.catholic.com/tracts/do-catholics-worship-statues
Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by Nobody: 11:02am On Nov 11, 2012
Pls stop saying what u don't understand and stop deceiving ppl here. If u want to know, go close to the catholics and they will teach u what u think u knw. Be careful otherwise God will surely follow u up. God bless u all.

1 Like

Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by Nobody: 11:02am On Nov 11, 2012
Upright750: You have not even go to church but ur here quoting bible. Do you guys think u will understand bible without the spirit of God in you. Please go to church or are u guys running away from church cuz of boko haram and their bomb.
#Gbagaun
Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by Paulmystery: 11:03am On Nov 11, 2012
What call for this write up if not to plant uneccesary discord. I advocate for moral laundary for who ever champion this.
Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by Patdedon(m): 11:03am On Nov 11, 2012
bbpreye.:

I guess u're catholic! The instruction was don't make any! Don't make any! The truth is bitter ooooh! Don't make, don't bow! Simple english.

Image of what if I may ask? Get your facts straight first. And, yes, I'm a proud catholic
Read Exodus 20. God says we should not represent him with any image in earth or in heaven and we don't.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Testimony Of Heaven And Hell And Rapture To Soon Happen By Pastor Rodolfo / Where Are TB Joshua's Wise Men? / RCCG Regions In Nigeria And Their Headquarters Location

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.