Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,790 members, 7,810,054 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:37 PM

The Dilemma Of The Muslim In The US Presidential Election - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / The Dilemma Of The Muslim In The US Presidential Election (1001 Views)

Hidden Islam: Nicolo Degiorgis Charts The Challenges Of Being Muslim In Italy / The Dilemma Of A Young Muslim Man / Any Igbo Muslim In The House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Dilemma Of The Muslim In The US Presidential Election by tbaba1234: 1:26pm On Nov 07, 2012
For many US muslims, it was making a choice between Abu Jahl or Abu Lahab, two of the early enemies of Islam. How do you live with yourself knowing that you voted for a man who will send drones that will kill little muslim babies in villages across the muslim world? or a man that supports the oppression of the Palestinians in the apartheid state of Israel and keeps many of your brothers locked up in guantanamo with no charge or Justice?

Many decided they will vote for the lesser evil, which happened to be Obama. Others decided that the lesser evil is still evil and abstained. Some others voted for third party candidates. Some did not even care.

There was a lot of hope amongst muslims at the advent of the Obama first term. The promise of ending the wars and closing guantanamo was met with renewed optimism that this might lead to a change in world politics, but it was the same song.

Even though most muslims still voted for Obama, it was simply because the alternative was worse.

The hope is that the next four years would be better than the last, four years of justice, wisdom and sincerity.
Re: The Dilemma Of The Muslim In The US Presidential Election by LagosShia: 1:39pm On Nov 07, 2012
It seems this thread is more appropriate for my below post in the other thread on muslims voting in non-muslim countries:

LagosShia: I laugh at those muslims cheering for obama just because he's black.both romney and obama are sponsored by the same masters to run.obama is just a lion picture in the white house.I really sometimes feel bad when I hear his middle name "Hussain".what a waste!innocent Muslim civilians still get killed daily by unmanned drones in yemen,pakistan and afghanistan.the US is promoting a zionist agenda in Syria clamouring for regime change and arming terrorists in a civil war that have killed thousands of syrians including government officials of a sovereign country.just about a week ago Sudan got bombed by israeli jets with silence from the west and a nod of approval.bahrain with a dictatorship is hosting the US navy while saudi forces brutally suppress peaceful pro-democracy protesters in bahrain.the threats,blackmail and sanctions continue against Iran for taking an independent course away from western dictates.libya got invaded and its ruler (however unpopular) was brutally killed to the cheer of hilary clinton live on tv.

So as a muslim,why should I care who sits in the white house when he can really make no change? In fact obama's skin and heritage is been abused for zionist propaganda in the western media.
Re: The Dilemma Of The Muslim In The US Presidential Election by maclatunji: 1:54pm On Nov 07, 2012
tbaba1234: For many US muslims, it was making a choice between Abu Jahl or Abu Lahab, two of the early enemies of Islam. How do you live with yourself knowing that you voted for a man who will send drones that will kill little muslim babies in villages across the muslim world? or a man that supports the oppression of the Palestinians in the apartheid state of Israel and keeps many of your brothers locked up in guantanamo with no charge or Justice?

Many decided they will vote for the lesser evil, which happened to be Obama. Others decided that the lesser evil is still evil and abstained. Some others voted for third party candidates. Some did not even care.

There was a lot of hope amongst muslims at the advent of the Obama first term. The promise of ending the wars and closing guantanamo was met with renewed optimism that this might lead to a change in world politics, but it was the same song.

Even though most muslims still voted for Obama, it was simply because the alternative was worse.

The hope is that the next four years would be better than the last, four years of justice, wisdom and sincerity.

I have a question: In view of the fact that the United States' successive governments haven't been really "Muslim Friendly", is it appropriate that non-native Muslims migrate to the United States and start complaining about the government's oppression when there are other countries they could go to?
Re: The Dilemma Of The Muslim In The US Presidential Election by tbaba1234: 2:18pm On Nov 07, 2012
maclatunji: I have a question: In view of the fact that the United States' successive governments haven't been really "Muslim Friendly", is it appropriate that non-native Muslims migrate to the United States and start complaining about the government's oppression when there are other countries they could go to?

The topic was about US muslims. They have a stake in the future of the country and ofcourse want to protect their interests. For muslims who migrate for whatever purpose to the US, they do have a right to air grievances against the government as long as they do not transgress limits and obey the laws of the land . A muslim must stand up against injustice even if it is against himself.

It is reported that Malik ibn Dinar, one of the successors, said: "Almighty Allah revealed to an angel to destroy one of the villages. So the angel wondered: 'O my God, there is this slave of yours who has not disobeyed you for a single moment and he lived there.' Almighty Allah (God) said to him: 'Start with him, for he has never moved upon seeing other people violating my prohibitions.'"

There are many legitimate reasons to migrate to the US. You get the opportunity at a quality education which can be employed to better serve humanity and passing on the beauty of this way of life to non-muslims. If you see injustice and keep quiet, what does that say of your faith?

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), “Whoever among you sees an evil action, let him change it with his hand [by taking action]; if he cannot, then with his tongue [by speaking out]; and if he cannot, then with his heart [by hating it and feeling that it is wrong] – and that is the weakest of faith” (Narrated by Muslim, 49)

2 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of The Muslim In The US Presidential Election by maclatunji: 3:10pm On Nov 07, 2012
^Ok. I know my question is one kind but it needs to be asked sometimes.
Re: The Dilemma Of The Muslim In The US Presidential Election by LagosShia: 3:16pm On Nov 07, 2012
tbaba1234:

The topic was about US muslims. They have a stake in the future of the country and ofcourse want to protect their interests. For muslims who migrate for whatever purpose to the US, they do have a right to air grievances against the government as long as they do not transgress limits and obey the laws of the land . A muslim must stand up against injustice even if it is against himself.

It is reported that Malik ibn Dinar, one of the successors, said: "Almighty Allah revealed to an angel to destroy one of the villages. So the angel wondered: 'O my God, there is this slave of yours who has not disobeyed you for a single moment and he lived there.' Almighty Allah (God) said to him: 'Start with him, for he has never moved upon seeing other people violating my prohibitions.'"

There are many legitimate reasons to migrate to the US. You get the opportunity at a quality education which can be employed to better serve humanity and passing on the beauty of this way of life to non-muslims. If you see injustice and keep quiet, what does that say of your faith?

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), “Whoever among you sees an evil action, let him change it with his hand [by taking action]; if he cannot, then with his tongue [by speaking out]; and if he cannot, then with his heart [by hating it and feeling that it is wrong] – and that is the weakest of faith” (Narrated by Muslim, 49)

Good reply.

Moreover,the majority of those living in the US are descended from migrant ancestors who did not come to the US to "obey the law of the land" or "respect the people of the land and their ways".they brutally cleansed the red indians from the US and canada and the same can be said of australia.

I don't see anything wrong in muslims migrating as long as they can freely practice their faith.the most muslims are asking for is for their hosts not to practice double-standard and to abide by the law the host have passed.
Re: The Dilemma Of The Muslim In The US Presidential Election by vedaxcool(m): 3:23pm On Nov 07, 2012
tbaba1234: For many US muslims, it was making a choice between Abu Jahl or Abu Lahab, two of the early enemies of Islam. How do you live with yourself knowing that you voted for a man who will send drones that will kill little muslim babies in villages across the muslim world? or a man that supports the oppression of the Palestinians in the apartheid state of Israel and keeps many of your brothers locked up in guantanamo with no charge or Justice?

Any Muslim that thinks that Obama would stop drones attack just because they voted for him are really just having unhealthy optimism. Muslims should have preferably voted third candidates who are usually deprived space in the Political system and have quite distinct policies that we are used to seeing, but seeing that would translate to narrower lead for romney then voting for Obama might be a saner choice, but as long as democrat or republicans dominate the system there is really no hope of change, Democrat and Republicans are usually the same on Foreign policy. @Mac, you know America also has indigenous muslims, and without muslims moving from one country to another, then religion will just remain in one place.
Re: The Dilemma Of The Muslim In The US Presidential Election by maclatunji: 3:48pm On Nov 07, 2012
vedaxcool:

Any Muslim that thinks that Obama would stop drones attack just because they voted for him are really just having unhealthy optimism. Muslims should have preferably voted third candidates who are usually deprived space in the Political system and have quite distinct policies that we are used to seeing, but seeing that would translate to narrower lead for romney then voting for Obama might be a saner choice, but as long as democrat or republicans dominate the system there is really no hope of change, Democrat and Republicans are usually the same on Foreign policy. @Mac, you know America also has indigenous muslims, and without muslims moving from one country to another, then religion will just remain in one place.

I am playing the contrarian here. There are many American citizens who are not Muslims that have left the country because they are not comfortable with the way it operates. In the light of this, I find it queer that a Muslim would migrate there and start complaining about the system when there are other places you could migrate to. tongue I am speaking in general terms here.
Re: The Dilemma Of The Muslim In The US Presidential Election by vedaxcool(m): 4:17pm On Nov 07, 2012
^^^
I think people will complain about injustice, it is a human propensity, without complaints things will virtually remain the same. But even Americans complain about the various indignities they suffer. so nothing is wrong complaining about what is wrong!
Re: The Dilemma Of The Muslim In The US Presidential Election by maclatunji: 4:50pm On Nov 07, 2012
vedaxcool: ^^^
I think people will complain about injustice, it is a human propensity, without complaints things will virtually remain the same. But even Americans complain about the various indignities they suffer. so nothing is wrong complaining about what is wrong!

Let's just shake hands at this point. smiley
Re: The Dilemma Of The Muslim In The US Presidential Election by deols(f): 7:40pm On Nov 07, 2012
The land of Allah is vast. Until your religion is threatened, you could be anywhere. It is d land of Allah after all and you are one of the regents of Allah on it..
Re: The Dilemma Of The Muslim In The US Presidential Election by tbaba1234: 9:20pm On Nov 07, 2012
deols: The land of Allah is vast. Until your religion is threatened, you could be anywhere. It is d land of Allah after all and you are one of the regents of Allah on it..

The religion is not being threatened, It is easier to learn about Islam and practise Islam in the US than in many muslim countries. I have learnt far more about Islam living in the US than in Nigeria when i was surrounded by muslims. The muslims are small but the rates of reversion to Islam is just incredible (compare with south Nigeria with our population). On the other hand, there are still many muslim youth who get drawn to all kinds of bad lifestyles because of the environment.

There are pros and cons but I am thankful to Allah that i came to America because of my religion. I was praying five times a day before i left 9ja but i learnt so much more about the beauty of this religion and the Quran, the words of Allah in America. I would never have learnt these things in Nigeria. It is almost as if i knew nothing of the religion before. I even learnt how to recite the Quran properly, many of our arabic schools do not recite with proper tajweed.

Muslims face challenges in the USA with protecting their youth from corruption and spying by security agencies but a conscious muslim that comes here, will learn and practise his religion better in America than in many muslim places (including Nigeria) if he doesn't get distracted by all of the filth out there.
Re: The Dilemma Of The Muslim In The US Presidential Election by maclatunji: 10:03pm On Nov 07, 2012
^I actually think she is in support of your position. Sorry my question seemed to have a personal twist (it wasn't intended to be that).

It's just that sometimes I do ponder at the issue and just wanted other people's reaction to it.

Know that sometimes I can ask uncomfortable questions- I think they help to improve knowledge and understanding.

I understand what you are saying perfectly. It is a case of personal choice. I could so easily be there too. So, understand that I am not trying to cast aspersions at you.
Re: The Dilemma Of The Muslim In The US Presidential Election by vedaxcool(m): 8:58am On Nov 08, 2012
tbaba1234:

The religion is not being threatened, It is easier to learn about Islam and practise Islam in the US than in many muslim countries. I have learnt far more about Islam living in the US than in Nigeria when i was surrounded by muslims. The muslims are small but the rates of reversion to Islam is just incredible (compare with south Nigeria with our population). On the other hand, there are still many muslim youth who get drawn to all kinds of bad lifestyles because of the environment.

There are pros and cons but I am thankful to Allah that i came to America because of my religion. I was praying five times a day before i left 9ja but i learnt so much more about the beauty of this religion and the Quran, the words of Allah in America. I would never have learnt these things in Nigeria. It is almost as if i knew nothing of the religion before. I even learnt how to recite the Quran properly, many of our arabic schools do not recite with proper tajweed.

Muslims face challenges in the USA with protecting their youth from corruption and spying by security agencies but a conscious muslim that comes here, will learn and practise his religion better in America than in many muslim places (including Nigeria) if he doesn't get distracted by all of the filth out there.

Really thaba? you can't be serious, you might replace easier with greater incentive to practice your religion, America contains but positives and negatives when it comes to good and the bad.

maclatunji:

Let's just shake hands at this point. smiley

lol! grin grin well I am shaking the monitor now
Re: The Dilemma Of The Muslim In The US Presidential Election by maclatunji: 11:54am On Nov 08, 2012
^Very good of you.
Re: The Dilemma Of The Muslim In The US Presidential Election by tbaba1234: 12:17pm On Nov 08, 2012
vedaxcool:

Really thaba? you can't be serious, you might replace easier with greater incentive to practice your religion, America contains but positives and negatives when it comes to good and the bad.

It is easier to learn about Islam for sure. I can not point out a place in southern Nigeria where one can get quality Islamic education. There are many good places to get a good basic education here. The society has many challenges and muslims are constantly under pressure. As a muslim you have to be careful about what you say and how you say it.

The mosques are bugged, they entrap young gullible kids into 'phantom terror plots'. Kids that would never have come up with these plots on their own. I would modify my statement, depending on where you live, It is easier to practise but it is easier to learn.

(1) (Reply)

Nairaland Islam Section Debate (NISD) Comments Thread / Is It Allow For Muslims To Kiss On Walimatul Nikkai Ceremonial Day / Iman Rise For Brothers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.