Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,999 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:14 AM

Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. (14088 Views)

I'm Thinking Of Relocating To Dubai For Greener Pasture / Travelling To Canada Part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 7 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by nkc(m): 3:59pm On Feb 20, 2008
ok, thanks
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by Ezinwannem: 4:38pm On Feb 20, 2008
@ Debosky, r u moving Peterborough ehhh, u gonna be closer 2 me now, lol,
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by nkc(m): 5:12pm On Feb 20, 2008
@delta, my ssce, i had all science subjects A's, will that help me.
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by debosky(m): 9:37pm On Feb 21, 2008
@ Ezi

yes oh, I'm gonna be much closer. . .we should do something wink

@ muchbabe

so you dey fresh off the boat sef ehn? You suppose pay homage to your elders here first oh wink

@ nkc

I don't think SSCE would help, that is not usually taken into consideration for Master's programs here in Canada. Virtually all Canadian Uni's require a 2.1 or a 4.0/5.0 or 3.0/4.0 GPA before they'll admit you. In few exceptional cases I heard of, they eventually did accept, but only after the student had done quite a number of pre-requisite courses in the university as an 'unclassified student'. Personally I would suggest that you take the GRE and get into a school in the US, they are less strict about GPA's and once you score well on the GRE and have good recommendations, you'll get in.

Dal is a good school for pet eng, but you can also try www.ucalgary.ca www.ualberta.ca and www.usask.ca I think those are the other Canadian schools offering that program. Wish you all the best

@ amsky

I was in Vancouver this last weekend and the weather was simply heavenly - clear blue skies 10C temperature. . .it was almost like summer cheesy. Its a nice place to live, even though a bit expensive. You don't need private school for your kids, the Canadian public system is well run across board. Some schools are really competitive though such as in the West side of Vancouver where the rich/smart folk live. You shouldn't have much of a problem with that.

Like we said earlier, getting job information/offers should be your first priority. . .once you can achieve that, then you can focus on the other aspects more.
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by Nobody: 2:12am On Feb 22, 2008
@ debosky

yes o, i was living in New Brunswick before. wetin u dey go do for perterborough, kiss
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by Delta007(m): 1:44pm On Feb 22, 2008
@muchbabe,
We dey quarrel?
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by debosky(m): 6:06pm On Feb 22, 2008
From NB to NS. . .e be like say you dey in love with Atlantic Canada - abeg come Ontario small lets show you some life tongue

Mr Delta I dey think say na Calgary or Deadmonton you dey. . .abi na Atl Canada you sef dey?

@ Amsky

if you hate tax I would advise you to AVOID New Brunswick/Nova Scotia/Newfoundland - their taxes are humongous and the weather isn't very pleasant at all.
Besides, apart from some oil and gas, there aren't too many well paying jobs in those provinces last I checked.

enjoy your weekend everyone wink
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by Delta007(m): 8:13pm On Feb 22, 2008
@Debosky:
I'm not in Edmonton altho that na one of my bases. Have a few pals there. By the way, Muchbabe is having dinner with me tonite grin; She aint going anywhere; dont worry! tongue

By the way, no be only oil and gas dey Atl Canada oh. Make no mistake about it, . . there are relative very good paying jobs in Atl Canada especially if you are a professional. The weather no be am for Canada (not just Atl Canada altho a place like Newfoundland is a no-go area for me; I no sabi ski. . .i'd stick to my football or soccer as they call it here)
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by Nobody: 9:34pm On Feb 22, 2008
hello guys,

@Delta007, which dinner, plssss dont let madam beat me up o, i be lekpa i no fit fight, lol grin

@debosky, i go to Ontario all the time, where have u been hiding but i like Atlantic canada cos its quiet and laid back like moi, Ontario too much hustling and drama, send me invitation sha ill show. tongue
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by Delta007(m): 10:04pm On Feb 22, 2008
@muchbabe:
Are u ever on msn abi u just post me? What's your YIM?

By the way, dinner is ready!
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by debosky(m): 12:50am On Feb 23, 2008
@ much

if that picture is anything close to reality. . .then imma send you an IV real soon. tongue

I'll give you the royal tour of the places you haven't seen yet.

@ Delta

I no know wetin 'professional' mean oh grin grin just joking, but I do know the whole of Moncton almost moved away when some industries closed down there, and peeps are moving West to AB in droves. I guess there would be some jobs, as there are everywhere. . .but news from a number of my sources isn't too promising. They have higher unemployment rates than the rest of the country and higher taxes too.
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by debosky(m): 1:39pm On Mar 03, 2008
I guess shapey and co have gotten all the info they need regarding this topic?

Sorry for taking it off topic for a while, any questions will be gladly answered - including from anyone else needing info on relocating to Canada. wink
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by TheSly: 1:41pm On Mar 03, 2008
Debosky
Long time no see talk angry angry angry

where av u been?. . . welcome back bro. . cool
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by realmajid(m): 4:57pm On Mar 03, 2008
Please can anyone hint me on the waiting time for the whole Canadian immigration process? I applied last december(from Nigeria). Someone told me it may have to be the december after next before the completion of the process. How is their interview? i hope i won't be in for a surprise when they finally call me.
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by Delta007(m): 9:07pm On Mar 03, 2008
realmajid:

Please can anyone hint me on the waiting time for the whole Canadian immigration process? I applied last december(from Nigeria). Someone told me it may have to be the december after next before the completion of the process. How is their interview? i hope i won't be in for a surprise when they finally call me.
Realmajid:
Where did you apply thru? Cos the waiting time depends on the embassy handling your application. Since you based in Abj, I'm guessing Ghana. I've heard applications thru Ghana cud take up to 3-4yrs. Just a rough idea. Check http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/01-all.asp#africa
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by debosky(m): 11:33pm On Mar 03, 2008
@ realmajid

the timeline given by Delta is probably accurate - 3-4 years, but from the website, you could be part of the fortunate 30% who get theirs processed in 9 months. To be realistic, I think you should expect something in the region of 22 months, meaning October/November next year.

Since you applied last December, that means you used the 'simplified process' meaning you did not submit all your documents yet. Before it gets to the interview stage (if you require one that is) you'll be requested to send your documents, police reports, etc. for vetting, so just relax and wait for now till you get any correspondence from them.

Interviews are generally required to either clear up any inconsistency in your forms/documents. You will be clearly informed in the letter as to why you have been called for an interview.

In any case, if you do get a message to come for an interview, there is something known as CAIPS Notes - Computer Assisted Immigration Processing System Notes to check your file and determine if there are any issues needing to be cleared up - such as how many points did you get for work experience, age, and so on, and any problems with your file so you can go adequately prepared.

Many sites on the internet offer you this service, such as http://www.caipsretriever.com

Alternatively, someone in Canada can get the CAIPS for you for free, but it takes about a month or so to be ready and they can then pass on the information to you.
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by tipsy289(m): 4:39am On Mar 08, 2008
hey debosky,much babe and delta007,its all cool there are some nigerians here.i know a few nigerians in Ottawa,and some in Hamilton.
so debosky i see ur everywhere,ottawa,peteborough and vancouver.which one is ur real base now?

@muchbabe
how is Halifax(lobster city).

@delta007
i cant remember which city ur in but how is it there?
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by amsky(m): 2:14pm On Mar 08, 2008
@ Debosky,Delta007,Muchbabe, Tipsy289.

I am sooooooo jealous. It seems like you are all having loads of fun out there sad

Infact,i'm off to catch a flight. The Shapey who started this thread is recovering from surgery. she had a ectopic preggy and had the left tube taken out. So you 'll be hearing from her shortly. I'll dig up this thread when i have anymore questions. We are in the process now. The form has been signed and sent off by courier.

So dont have too much fun. Leave some for us.We'll be joining you in like 22mths or more. cool
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by debosky(m): 7:41am On Mar 19, 2008
@ amsky make una come join in the jollyment jare cheesy

as far as I'm concerned, its the people around you that make a place fun wink

my regards to Shapey, I pray she gets back to shape soonest.

@ tipsy

my base is still Ottawa for now, Vancity is where my heart is. . .but I'll be moving to P'boro by month end to start another series in my Canadian adventure cheesy. I'll be in O-town for Easter though, if you know of any happening events just holla wink
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by fellow(m): 9:23am On Mar 19, 2008
hey all,

well i would like to ask about some information about canada. I have been given a 3 months visa to go visiting and would like to know what are my prospect in staying in canada permanently. i got a school offer in manitoba, for a 1-year final year studies cause i was given credit transfer based on my education here in nigeria.

i would like to know if as a visitor, i can apply for a job in canada - have it in mind that i have 2 computer certifications; Comptia N+ and CCNA with  B.Sc in chemistry from naija. If eventually i get a job, would i be required to come down to naija and re-apply? if i do that how possible is it that i wouldk be given the visa to return back to canada? and what are the realities of getting a job with a naija school certificate?

i hope to hear from real minded people like debosky (got a good recommendation for you from mrpataki) and others.

thanks alot for your replies
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by debosky(m): 12:15pm On Mar 19, 2008
@ fellow

I will try to address your questions sequentially.

1. congrats on getting the visitor visa, meaning you at least met requirements of convincing the visa officer that you will return to Nigeria after your trip - the major issue for most first time applicants.

2. As a visitor you can apply for jobs, but I'm not really convinced that you would get a large number of calls. I guess you would be staying in a particular location and have a phone and all, but you would need time to do market research on which companies are hiring, what part of Canada and so on.

Bearing in mind that it can take about 4-5 hours to fly between major cities on the West/East coasts costing around $600 per return trip (when booked in advance) it may be prohibitively expensive for you to go for an interview in say Calgary when you are based in Toronto and the company doesn't want to foot the bill

The second primary issue is how you would answer the basic question asked in most/all Canadian interviews - 'Do you have the legal right to work in Canada?' As a visitor for 3 months, you do not have that right to work, so that constitutes a big problem, primarily because you need a SIN- social insurance number to begin work/get paid and you cannot get those from the govt on a visiting visa.

On the other hand, if by some stroke of luck you get a company willing to hire you, they may then apply for a work permit for you. . .and the process can take anywhere from 1 year upwards to process, depending on the company and of course country of origin. Again this is a bit of a long shot - most people send out dozens of resumes for months before beginning to get any replies.

On the issue of naija degree - it can be a BIG problem. Employers sometimes say they want 'Canadian education/work experience' and will not hire you unless you have either or both. Some employers don't pursue this policy, but many won't even give you a call without some Canadian aspect on your resume.

Another issue is resume writing itself, styles in North America are markedly different from naija, you need to learn the way resumes are presented/structured to employers in your field and what aspects they value. Don't really know that much about IT though, so I can't give you much info. I can talk to a friend and find out, but in his case, even with his naija experience, he still got his job through school after doing a masters.

If you do get the job and have to apply for a visa, chances are you will need to leave the country, some work visa applications take like 15days to process, but only in certain classes within canada which you do not qualify for.

My advice would be this: visit canada for a month or two, return to naija and apply for your study permit. Get your papers and stuff in order and give a strong impression you simply want to finish your qualification and return to a job in naija. That way the visa officer would be inclined to issue you the visa since you visited and did not default. Upon getting that, you can then come to Canada and finish your program, which gives you a year to scout for jobs, companies and the right location. It also gives you an added advantage that you would be eligible for a 6month/1 year post-graduation work permit after completing your program, from which you can then gain some 'Canadian experience' and possibly apply for permanent residence in that time frame.

I know I've said a lot here, but try to digest it and let me know of any specific areas that need clarification.
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by Delta007(m): 1:18pm On Mar 19, 2008
@fellow:
Debosky has pointed out a few things that you have to consider. However, do not be fooled by the 3mths Visa. A Visa is an "entry" document and it's the Immigration officer at the border that determines how long you can stay in the country. In other words, the Consul has given you a three months window to travel to Canada; when you arrive, the immigration officer decides how long you stay. More often than not, the default is 6mths unless stated otherwise. In theory, you can be given a 1 day Visa and as far as you enter Canada that day, before it expires, you can stay in Canada for 6mths.

Now, if you come in and luckily get a job and your employer is willing to go through Human Resource Canada to prove that hiring an alien like you wont be detrimental to the Canadian work force, if you can scale that hurdle, you will get a work permit just by applying to the consulate in Buffalo, USA. Since you lived in motherland Africa, you will be required to undergo medicals in Canada. This whole process will definitely take more than your 6mths stay and by that time, you'd have to live the country; although, you can always ask for an extension. You are not guaranteed to get it. If you eventually get a work permit, you'd have to re-enter the contry since you are changing your status from a visitor to a "temporary resident". Most people just drive to the border for formality sake.

You did mention about your school offer in Manitoba. I must tell you manitoba is probably worse than your village (typical Rural America), only say it probably has more basic amenities. If you were to ask me, I'd advice you to take this route instead of trying to seek a job, if your intention is to change your status when you arrive. Just make sure you do not mention school or work to anyone at the border; just say "No" if you are asked. If/when you get your 6mths stay, ensure your program start date will not elapse for at least 6mths and then apply to Buffalo. Make sure your documents are in place and you'd be asked to undergo medicals. This could take up to 4mths or more before you are eventually approved; afterwards, you'd need to re-enter the country. Like I said initially, people just drive to the border for formality sake. If/when you graduate after your 1yr of study, you automatically qualify for the post graduate work permit which wont require your potential employer to  support your application. Also, you'd be more familiar with your "professional terrains" in Canada which would enable you make better choices with regards your prospects and future here. Goodluck!

I hope I'm clear; I typed this while running late for a meeting; so if you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by milano74: 7:47pm On Mar 19, 2008
dear sir
can you please help me i wanted to travel to canada
how would i process it can you help me what are the requirement
please i need your reply
this is my e mail address
kellyrigthnov@yahoo.com
thanks
yours faithfully
john

please if there is opportunity of another country another
kindly let me know
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by fellow(m): 10:21pm On Mar 19, 2008
@debosky & delta007

Thanks guys for your input. Its really appreciated.

@delta

if i get it right, you are like i should go ahead with the visitors visa and then apply for a study permit using the manitoba admission i got which could take like 4 months.

@debosky

you are like i would need to come back and apply for a study permit from naija here

One other thing i just thought now is lets say i get there and apply for a masters degree,where would i need to submit my application?

Anyway would brainstorm on the 2 ideas and see what i come up with

Thanks alot for your time
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by 4Him(m): 10:26pm On Mar 19, 2008
Delta . . . u did miss out one point though.
You ask fellow to apply to the Canadian consulate in Buffalo . . . he will need to cross US border security on the way, he wont be allowed into the US without a valid US visa.
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by Delta007(m): 1:38am On Mar 20, 2008
@fellow:
That's probably your best shot IF your objective is to change your visitor's status when you arrive, given your circumstance.

@4Him:
No, he doesnt need a US Visa. His application to the consulate in Buffalo is by mail; only on rare occasions do they ask for an interview for a study permit. If/when he is approved, he can drive to the border, and drive to the US side. He just needs to explain that he's trying to re-enter Canada. The US immigration officers, of course wont allow him in and he will be asked to make a u-turn. He drives back to the Canadian side where the paper work will be processed and he'd be given his study permit. Hundreds of people do it regularly when they change status; so the dudes at the border are aware of the procedure. Infact, sometimes, you dont even need to reach the US side; some people just park their cars at the border and walk to the "free zone" (the zone between the US and Canadian Border) and walk back into Canada where they meet with the Canadian Immigration officers.
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by Mystery11(m): 5:39pm On Apr 23, 2008
@ Delta007

Really love your analysis on canada.

Actually, I would love to work there but on 28/28 days basis.So that I can always come back to Nigeria during my off days from work.
I can as well visit when I want but not necessarily to live there.I think I am comfortable with my good job in Nigeria. I can only come for the above stated reasons.

My main question to you is that you said something about leaving your '' well paying job'' and coming back to Nigeria.

What is the plan when you are back in Nigeria considering the rate of unemployment in Nigeria.

Really wanna know.
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by Delta007(m): 3:14am On Apr 24, 2008
Mystery 1:

@ Delta007

Really love your analysis on canada.

Actually, I would love to work there but on 28/28 days basis.So that I can always come back to Nigeria during my off days from work.
I can as well visit when I want but not necessarily to live there.I think I am comfortable with my good job in Nigeria. I can only come for the above stated reasons.

My main question to you is that you said something about leaving your '' well paying job'' and coming back to Nigeria.

What is the plan when you are back in Nigeria considering the rate of unemployment in Nigeria.

Really want to know.
Thanks.
Actually, from my observation, Nigeria is beginning to open up and more and more graduates are getting decent jobs. However, if/when I finally decide on the move, I plan to be an employer not an employee unless you are ready to pay me some serious dough!
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by europe76(m): 11:57pm On Dec 18, 2009
hi shapey, congrat! plz culd u be of help hw i will get dis canadian immigrant visa?
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by tracybee(f): 12:58pm On Dec 23, 2009
hi everyone i'd like to know too .tia
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by Dearmama360: 8:08pm On Sep 16, 2019
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by Estherseth23(f): 11:49pm On Apr 22, 2020
[quote author=Canucklady post=1930963]Hi Guys,

I'm a Canadian living in Saskatchewan. My husband and I emigrated to Canada from England almost 50 years ago, and we have lived in many areas of this wonderful country through the years, from Prince Edward Island to Vancouver , Victoria , the Kootenay area of BC, Ontario, Manitoba  and on and on. We love it here, and Canada has been VERY good to us. The people are super friendly, there are few (if any) racial or "class" barriers as there are in England still, and work opportunities are plentiful.

One warning, housing in cities like Vancouver and Toronto is extremely high. Better to find a small town in an area you like. Community colleges too are far less expensive than universities.

Here in Saskatchewan, housing is still very reasonable. This is actually one of the last frontiers, where it's possible to live the good life without spending an arm and a leg, and where there is room for kids and families to spread out and enjoy wide open spaces and fresh air.

Good luck to you in your efforts to relocate, and a warm welcome to Canada if you decide to come here !! smileyit's been 12years since this comment.is this woman still on nairaland ?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Rail Transportation Services To Resume Wednesday July 29, 2020 / Sorry State Of Umomi-anyigba Road In Kogi State. / Has Anyone Been To Whispering Palms At Badagry? I Need Reviews

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.