Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,977 members, 7,817,879 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:56 PM

Lagos May Buy Up Igbo Land - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos May Buy Up Igbo Land (2264 Views)

MASSOB Barnishes Nwodo,wogu From Igbo Land / The Population Density Of Igbo Land / Climate Change: Lagos May Vanish In 50 Years - Experts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos May Buy Up Igbo Land by geeez: 1:45pm On Nov 08, 2012
The Lagos State Government is working on a number of options to engage genuine commercial motorcycle operators, recently thrown out of jobs as a result of the implementation of the new traffic law, in meaningful ventures.

The Commissioner for Transportation, Mr. Kayode Opeifa, dropped the hint in Lagos on Wednesday, stressing that the move was meant to give only the registered operators a new lease of life.

Many of the okada riders, as the commercial motorcycle operators are called, have had to abandon the business, as the new law prohibits them from plying major roads and bridges in the state. According to the new traffic law, only those with 200cc engine capacity can operate in the permitted areas.

Some aggrieved operators have been protesting against the new policy and a few people sympathetic to their cause have urged the state government to rescind its decision in view of the multitude that will be affected.

But Opeifa, who spoke at the 11th Business Forum of the Lagos State University’s MBA Heritage held on Lagos Island on Wednesday, said that there was no going back on the decision.

He said, “We are resolute about the Road Traffic Law; there is no going back on it. But we are going to re-certify the okada operators resident in Lagos.

“We are going to start a registration process, and in the process, if we discover those who have skills, we will send them to the skill acquisition centres established by the state government to hone these skills.”

Opeifa, who spoke on the theme, ‘Effect of Transportation on Nigeria’s Economy,’ stressed that okada could not be regarded as a means of transportation, as nobody wished to bequeath it as an inheritance to their children.

The commissioner, therefore, said the state government would re-register the operators with a view to providing the genuine ones adversely affected by the policy other job opportunities.

“Some of them could be absorbed into the LAGBUS as conductors and drivers. We also have agriculture, where some of them can also be useful. Apart from our farms in Lagos, we have bought landed property in Ogun State and Abuja, and we are going to buy more in Benue for agriculture. So, the options are there for them,” he said.

According to him, the state government plans to assist some of the okada riders with the acquisition of skills to make them employable or to become self-employed.

Opeifa also said some of them would be assisted to own bakeries after undertaking the needed training.

But the Managing Director, Megavons West Africa Limited, Dr. Rotimi Oladele, expressed the view that the okada business could be reorganised, and urged the state government to re-brand it as a community transport system.

Although Oladele, who was a keynote speaker at the forum, commended the state government for its efforts in transforming Lagos, he said there was still a need for a truly masses-oriented means of transport, which the okada business represented.

“Let us re-brand them as community transport system, license them and restrict them to their domiciliary local government areas,” he said.

Opeifa said there was a need for the development of multi-modal transportation system for the economy to grow.

“The groundnut pyramids were moved from the North down to Lagos by the railway; likewise, cocoa and some other farm produce. The system worked then, and all that seems to have died now,” he said.

Opeifa advised that the review of the Constitution currently going on should whittle down some powers of the government at the centre, so that states and local governments could develop the modes of transportation that suited them.
Re: Lagos May Buy Up Igbo Land by geeez: 1:47pm On Nov 08, 2012
After Abuja and Benue, we will move into Anambra and then Enugu and then Imo and in two years we will own Onitsha, Enugu and Nnewi.

Let's go there grin

2 Likes

Re: Lagos May Buy Up Igbo Land by Geomac: 1:56pm On Nov 08, 2012
geeez: After Abuja and Benue, we will move into Anambra and then Enugu and then Imo and in two years we will own Onitsha, Enugu and Nnewi.

Let's go there grin

Dream!
Re: Lagos May Buy Up Igbo Land by PROUDIGBO(m): 2:27pm On Nov 08, 2012
Geez bros, you do have an active imagination.....i'll say that much for ya. wink wink

1 Like

Re: Lagos May Buy Up Igbo Land by Igwe9(m): 2:39pm On Nov 08, 2012
trash talk

1 Like

Re: Lagos May Buy Up Igbo Land by advocate666: 2:40pm On Nov 08, 2012
misleading title.

I can't see anywhere in the article there was a question of buying igboland.

1 Like

Re: Lagos May Buy Up Igbo Land by Nobody: 4:08pm On Nov 08, 2012
geeez: After Abuja and Benue, we will move into Anambra and then Enugu and then Imo and in two years we will own Onitsha, Enugu and Nnewi.

Let's go there grin

I have four plots of land in Anambra and Enugu and i,ll give it out only to ACN members.
Let them come with enough brooms,there will be lots of sweeping job to do.

1 Like

Re: Lagos May Buy Up Igbo Land by tpia1: 4:10pm On Nov 08, 2012
what an illiterate title or is it illiterate op.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos May Buy Up Igbo Land by GARRIx7(m): 4:19pm On Nov 08, 2012
The foolish Mods are still busy smoking their pubic hair instead of calling this foolish OP to order.

Seun and his hypocritical Mods...........

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Am I gonna be banned??.... cheesy cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Lagos May Buy Up Igbo Land by 9javoice1(m): 5:49pm On Nov 08, 2012
its clear to me some days back that Nairaland moderators are pure tribalists.

whenever a Yoruba person post a thread to abuse igbos, it will make front page,

but if an Igbo post a thread in defense of the said Yoruba thread they will immediately delete it.
why why why?
Re: Lagos May Buy Up Igbo Land by 9javoice1(m): 5:50pm On Nov 08, 2012
YOU GUYS ARE GIVING US REASONS BY THE DAY THAT ALL OF YORUBAS ARE TRIBALISTS AND HATED IGBOS WITH PASSION

5 Likes

Re: Lagos May Buy Up Igbo Land by T9ksy(m): 5:56pm On Nov 08, 2012
Whilst the ibos are non-tribalists who just love the yorubas to death?

1 Like

Re: Lagos May Buy Up Igbo Land by olabukola: 6:39pm On Nov 08, 2012
With ur 3 companies, two houses in Abuja one in PH, one in warri and one each in manchester and kent you still have time to make useless post. Its like your day is more than 24 hours.
Re: Lagos May Buy Up Igbo Land by RickyRoss1(m): 7:54pm On Nov 08, 2012

Let's go there grin

Sorry but we do not accept primitive people in our communities.
We will receive you with open arms only if you will sign agreement with us that you wont be shitting in Nylon bags like you do in Lagos. And you will allow us patch your tiger marks with Ibeto cement as those marks makes you look horrible and uncivilized. Other than that, you are not welcomed.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos May Buy Up Igbo Land by Nobody: 8:29pm On Nov 08, 2012
Mr Kayorode Opeyirifa will run back to lagos with his heels touching his head or with his tale between his legs if he hears the price of a plot of land in those igbo states you mentioned. You think those igbo states are like Ogun, Benue, Ekiti and many Iyoroba state where they buy land for N40,000 a plot? That's why iyoroba man cannot buy land in Onisha. Unless he want to sale hectares of land only to buy a plot. Even when their mosque were demolished. The whole Iyoroba muslims in Onisha could not raise money for half a plot. Gov. Peter Obi had to pity them and dash them 2 plots of land with a plan to build them a new mosque. Fashola cannot be this hospitable.
Re: Lagos May Buy Up Igbo Land by EzePromoe: 8:32pm On Nov 08, 2012
Geeeeeeeez! shocked Are Yorubas this jobless?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos May Buy Up Igbo Land by basher(m): 9:06pm On Nov 08, 2012
Kai! If I got a penny each time 'Igbo', 'Ibo' or 'Igbo' was used on nairaland, I would have built a mansion from that income stream alone.
Re: Lagos May Buy Up Igbo Land by ODUANEGRO: 9:46pm On Nov 08, 2012
...the registration and certification must have ethnic data to properly identify igbos in Lagos. There is need for a containment scheme.
Re: Lagos May Buy Up Igbo Land by Nobody: 10:24pm On Nov 08, 2012
9ja voice: YOU GUYS ARE GIVING US REASONS BY THE DAY THAT ALL OF YORUBAS ARE TRIBALISTS AND HATED IGBOS WITH PASSION
we don't need anyone to tell us that! It is very evident on Nairaland.
Re: Lagos May Buy Up Igbo Land by geeez: 10:28pm On Nov 08, 2012
basher: Kai! If I got a penny each time 'Igbo', 'Ibo' or 'Igbo' was used on nairaland, I would have built a mansion from that income stream alone.

What if I got half of that each time I come across the word 'Yoruba', I would have bought a twelve room mansion in Bel Air now
Re: Lagos May Buy Up Igbo Land by ODUANEGRO: 10:37pm On Nov 08, 2012
berem: we don't need anyone to tell us that! It is very evident on Nairaland.

We dont hate you, you hate yourselves. It is not only in Yorubaland or Yorubas that want to contain you.....it is the same in Ijawland, same in Urhoboland, same in Tiviland, same in Kanuriland, same in Hausaland, same in Gwariland. All these people cannot be wrong and you are right.

....check yourselves!
Re: Lagos May Buy Up Igbo Land by Gheorgielus: 12:50am On Nov 09, 2012
lol.....fashola don dey mad...... grin
Re: Lagos May Buy Up Igbo Land by wissezy: 2:16am On Nov 09, 2012
ODUA_NEGRO:

We dont hate you, you hate yourselves. It is not only in Yorubaland or Yorubas that want to contain you.....it is the same in Ijawland, same in Urhoboland, same in Tiviland, same in Kanuriland, same in Hausaland, same in Gwariland. All these people cannot be wrong and you are right.

....check yourselves!
Nwokem mechie onu gia na esisi!!!

1 Like

Re: Lagos May Buy Up Igbo Land by cfours: 3:58am On Nov 09, 2012
It will be a lost investment for Lagos to buy land in SE because igboland is very barren and you need fertile land for agriculture.
Fashola is sensible enough to know the best lands are in SW and North.
Re: Lagos May Buy Up Igbo Land by lagcity(m): 4:48am On Nov 09, 2012
Wow. So igbos can be angry at the slight suggestion of buying land in their region? Talk of hypocrisy. I don't blame them, I hope gullible Nigerians are seeing this.
Re: Lagos May Buy Up Igbo Land by Nobody: 5:20am On Nov 09, 2012
Title is misleading.
Re: Lagos May Buy Up Igbo Land by malele(m): 6:03am On Nov 09, 2012
@ poster u are a big fool, is there any I will buy igbo land in that ur post.
Its like these moderator allow people to post anything they see
Re: Lagos May Buy Up Igbo Land by geeez: 6:16am On Nov 09, 2012
malele: @ poster u are a big fool, is there any I will buy igbo land in that ur post.
Its like these moderator allow people to post anything they see

And is there anything like Lagos 'will' in the post? I said Lagos 'may' ....

Go back to school grin
Re: Lagos May Buy Up Igbo Land by Nobody: 7:13am On Nov 09, 2012
ODUA_NEGRO:

....check yourselves!
DUDU/ODUA NEGRO I have made promise never to involve myself in any unnecessary argument.its not worth it at all.
Re: Lagos May Buy Up Igbo Land by igboboy1(m): 7:36am On Nov 09, 2012
Ricky_Ross:

Sorry but we do not accept primitive people in our communities.
We will receive you with open arms only if you will sign agreement with us that you wont be shitting in Nylon bags like you do in Lagos. And you will allow us patch your tiger marks with Ibeto cement as those marks makes you look horrible and uncivilized. Other than that, you are not welcomed.

Chai e nwe onu...maka abum onye nkuzi M nye gi 10/10 for such a spotless precondition...
Re: Lagos May Buy Up Igbo Land by sheyguy: 7:50am On Nov 09, 2012
So what's the big deal if Lagos go to the East to buy land? Hmn
Re: Lagos May Buy Up Igbo Land by bdyke: 7:51am On Nov 09, 2012
Let's wait and see naa..

(1) (2) (Reply)

Akpabio:The 419 or scam idea call the 6zones,, Here Is Delta State By Musiwa / Charcoal Exporters Be Warned. / The Corporal With The Bullet Proof Body - And T.B. Joshua

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.