Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,892 members, 7,821,117 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:25 AM

Which Is Better: Diesel Engine Or Petrol Engine? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Which Is Better: Diesel Engine Or Petrol Engine? (4104 Views)

1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL / How To Convert My Petrol Engine To Diesel Engine / Which Is Better: Diesel Engine Vehicles Or Petrol Engine Vehicles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Is Better: Diesel Engine Or Petrol Engine? by Kokomica(m): 7:09pm On Feb 01, 2008
Dear nairalanders,

I want expert opinion on the better of Petrol engine and Diesel engine. If one is buying a new car, which one lasts longer, consumes less fuel, easier to maintain?

One love!
Re: Which Is Better: Diesel Engine Or Petrol Engine? by Nobody: 8:18pm On Feb 01, 2008
Kokomica:

Dear nairalanders,

I want expert opinion on the better of Petrol engine and Diesel engine. If one is buying a new car, which one lasts longer, consumes less fuel, easier to maintain?
One love!

A diesel engine has a longer service life, than an equivalent petrol one. The stress levels and thermal temperatures are a lot lower than in a petrol engine. It's not uncommon to see a petrol-engined car with the exhaust manifold glowing red hot, after a spirited drive.

Typically, consumption is lower too. I had a 2006 Renault Clio 1.5dci, and did a lot of Continental driving, mainly in France. Without trying too hard, I regularly got 675 miles to a full tank, which considering the size of the fuel tank (approx. 44 litres) was pretty good. An equivalent petrol Renault Clio, (I had a 1.4 16V as a courtesy car) only managed 450 miles to a full tank.

A diesel engine has less to replace at service intervals, which are often longer than that of a petrol engine. Typically, you'd replace the same parts you'd replace on a petrol unit, but at least, there are no spark plugs to replace, which is a saving. Some models have stupidly expensive spark plugs in their petrol models.

Not sure about Nigeria, but in the UK, and most parts of Western Europe, resale values of diesel-engined cars are high.
Re: Which Is Better: Diesel Engine Or Petrol Engine? by Nobody: 9:04am On Oct 13, 2019
Thebigkendo oya help the OP
Re: Which Is Better: Diesel Engine Or Petrol Engine? by ogbuefi677(m): 12:22pm On Oct 13, 2019
Smartchoiice:
Thebigkendo oya help the OP
This is a 2008 thread oo.
If you are so jobless, you could go to a monastery and pray for the sins of the world in seclusion.

(1) (Reply)

Alloy Wheels Price / Throttle Sensor Always Getting Bad / Suzuki Mini Buses For Sale. Call: 0809-281-2289

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.