Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,307 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:38 AM

Eight Things Remarkably Successful People Do - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Eight Things Remarkably Successful People Do (13045 Views)

8 Categories Of Occupation People Do That Brings Forth Insult From The Society / 8 Things Successful People Do NOT Do Every Day / 5 Ways To Build A Remarkably Successful Career (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Eight Things Remarkably Successful People Do by obowunmi(m): 5:40pm On Nov 11, 2012
The only thing that I don't agree with is the back-up plan part. Back-up plans are important.
Re: Eight Things Remarkably Successful People Do by stildude(m): 6:43pm On Nov 11, 2012
Emmy9ite: Nice points op, some are debatable. Successful people dont work for money, they make their money work for them. They employ people to do what they dont want to do. Imagine Bill gate cleaning the floor cos he wants to be hardworking(this is just an illlustration), hope you get my point.
working hard doesn't mean doing works that are tedious or degrading. The success you now see with Bill came at a great price at somepoint. Even now, he works hard, coming out of retirement to work still. That successful people pay people to do the job for them is not entirely correct. They do the job that they have passion and skill sets for and pay others todo other stuffs. If ur biz is selling and ur selling skills are the best in the coy, it will be foolish to pay people to close sales while you relax in the office.
Re: Eight Things Remarkably Successful People Do by stildude(m): 7:00pm On Nov 11, 2012
obowunmi: The only thing that I don't agree with is the back-up plan part. Back-up plans are important.
Until you eliminate option B sometimes , you won't have the zeal or tenacity that will make option A work. U say don't put all your eggs in one basket. It is also said 'put all ur eggs in one basket and watch the basket. This is the power of focus that make magic happen. Some person lost his job, he wants badly to enter into biz for himself and gets started on a plan, yet he wants to see tuesday guardian (maybe the date has changed) searching for job, that person will most likely not succeed. Some, even after starting off on a biz idea, will go ahead and get a pay job.
Re: Eight Things Remarkably Successful People Do by obowunmi(m): 7:14pm On Nov 11, 2012
Interesting perspective but I don't agree. A backup plan is important.
Re: Eight Things Remarkably Successful People Do by chiefbatiatus(m): 7:27pm On Nov 11, 2012
ogayor: I'm fortunate to know a number of remarkably successful people. I've described how these people share a set of specific perspectives and beliefs.

They also share a number of habits:

1. They don't create back-up plans.

Back-up plans can help you sleep easier at night. Back-up plans can also create an easy out when times get tough.

You'll work a lot harder and a lot longer if your primary plan simply has to work because there is no other option. Total commitment--without a safety net--will spur you to work harder than you ever imagined possible.

If somehow the worst does happen (and the "worst" is never as bad as you think) trust that you will find a way to rebound. As long as you keep working hard and keep learning from your mistakes, you always will.

2. They do the work...

You can be good with a little effort. You can be really good with a little more effort.

But you can't be great--at anything--unless you put in an incredible amount of focused effort.

Scratch the surface of any person with rare skills and you'll find a person who has put thousands of hours of effort into developing those skills.

There are no shortcuts. There are no overnight successes. Everyone has heard about the 10,000 hours principle but no one follows it... except remarkably successful people.

So start doing the work now. Time is wasting.

3. ...and they work a lot more.

Forget the Sheryl Sandberg "I leave every day at 5:30" stories. I'm sure she does. But she's not you.

Every extremely successful entrepreneur I know (personally) works more hours than the average person--a lot more. They have long lists of things they want to get done. So they have to put in lots of time.

Better yet, they want to put in lots of time.

If you don't embrace a workload others would consider crazy then your goal doesn't mean that much to you--or it's not particularly difficult to achieve. Either way you won't be remarkably successful.

4. They avoid the crowds.

Conventional wisdom yields conventional results. Joining the crowd--no matter how trendy the crowd or "hot" the opportunity--is a recipe for mediocrity.

Remarkably successful people habitually do what other people won't do. They go where others won't go because there's a lot less competition and a much greater chance for success.

5. They start at the end...

Average success is often based on setting average goals.

Decide what you really want: to be the best, the fastest, the cheapest, the biggest, whatever. Aim for the ultimate. Decide where you want to end up. That is your goal.

Then you can work backwards and lay out every step along the way.

Never start small where goals are concerned. You'll make better decisions--and find it much easier to work a lot harder--when your ultimate goal is ultimate success.

6. ... and they don't stop there.

Achieving a goal--no matter how huge--isn't the finish line for highly successful people. Achieving one huge goal just creates a launching pad for achieving another huge goal.

Maybe you want to create a $100 million business; once you do you can leverage your contacts and influence to create a charitable foundation for a cause you believe in. Then your business and humanitarian success can create a platform for speaking, writing, and thought leadership. Then...

The process of becoming remarkably successful in one field will give you the skills and network to be remarkably successful in many other fields.

Remarkably successful people don't try to win just one race. They expect and plan to win a number of subsequent races.

7. They sell.

I once asked a number of business owners and CEOs to name the one skill they felt contributed the most to their success. Each said the ability to sell.

Keep in mind selling isn't manipulating, pressuring, or cajoling. Selling is explaining the logic and benefits of a decision or position. Selling is convincing other people to work with you. Selling is overcoming objections and roadblocks.

Selling is the foundation of business and personal success: knowing how to negotiate, to deal with "no," to maintain confidence and self-esteem in the face of rejection, to communicate effectively with a wide range of people, to build long-term relationships...

When you truly believe in your idea, or your company, or yourself then you don't need to have a huge ego or a huge personality. You don't need to "sell."

You just need to communicate.

8. They are never too proud.

To admit they made a mistake. To say they are sorry. To have big dreams. To admit they owe their success to others. To poke fun at themselves. To ask for help.

To fail.

And to try again.

http://www.inc.com/jeff-haden/8-habits-of-remarkably-successful-people.html

For once something very practical, thank you

1 Like

Re: Eight Things Remarkably Successful People Do by dejiswaggs(m): 7:31pm On Nov 11, 2012
Shokoloko:
only one of his companies is bankrupt. he is not bankrupt one bit.
Please Tell the Bros ohhh!!!!
Re: Eight Things Remarkably Successful People Do by richling77(m): 8:11pm On Nov 11, 2012
sammy.young:
grin grin stories .......put it in a movie...plzzzzzz

Get thε cast.
Re: Eight Things Remarkably Successful People Do by Nobody: 9:07pm On Nov 11, 2012
I'm sori but i dnt agree with most of these points. 1. You said don't have a backup plan. You mean when the sinking ship starts,it's wise to sink with it? Even inteligence recognize having a contingency plan. Ever wonder why Dangote run cement,food,oil and gas? Ever heard of multiple streams of income? When u employ a manager 2 run ur biz,get a capable hands and monitor,then see how he turn ur biz big whle u grow other biz. 2. Between working hard and working smart,i'l go 4 working smart. Why should Henry Ford do everythng himself when he can easily pay better hands to do them? Hard work is gud if u wana work all ur lyf. Dont get a few buckets delivering water,take time 2 develop a plan and build a system dat deliver neat,clean,easy,efficient water to millions.. They sell,well everybody does that. Marketing is gud 4 biz,so u dnt have 2 do 1 on 1 marketing. As 4 they are not too proud,that depends on what u think pride mean. All in all,i disagree with most of ur thesis but keep it up. Whateva works 4 u man.
Re: Eight Things Remarkably Successful People Do by kay29000(m): 10:08pm On Nov 11, 2012
The first point (no back-up plan) is the most important on the whole list. In fact, u can make this the only quality u need to suceed, as d rest will fall in place.

Of cos, most pple will disagree with this, but thats why there are few very wealthy people. As an entrepreneur, i am speaking from experience. Once u av a plan B, u wont give the business ur best shot even if u make up ur mind to do so, cos ur subscious mind controls u, and its focus is already divided with the plan B.

Napoleon Hill spent 25yrs of his life studying successful pple like henry ford and thomas edison, and one of his conclusions is that you have to have a definite purpose. Even if u want to have multiple streams of income, build them to a successful status, before moving to the next one.

Put all ur eggs in a basket and watch them with all your life.

2 Likes

Re: Eight Things Remarkably Successful People Do by Freezle(m): 11:13pm On Nov 11, 2012
I guess what you have written is to your point of view.
Re: Eight Things Remarkably Successful People Do by Nobody: 11:22pm On Nov 11, 2012
I doubt if those are the only things remarkable and successful people do! That is an incomplete information all rather misinformation
Re: Eight Things Remarkably Successful People Do by InvertedHammer: 5:47am On Nov 12, 2012
You missed one point:

Their pockets are the last bus stops for money. To get the money to come out is like pulling a tooth.

Nobody spends his way to wealth!
Re: Eight Things Remarkably Successful People Do by onatisi(m): 6:05am On Nov 12, 2012
i think the op is right about no back up plan,it is even biblical,noone that lays his hands on a plough then looks back is worthy of the kingdom,when you are in a desperate situation and there is no other way than one way you cant have a backup plan ,once u re abe to focus and concentrate on that way you will succeed ,it is like someone looking for water ,after digging the ground to around 6ft he stops because he doest get any wter.trust me he can do that 100times and he wont reach the water leve but if he stays in one welll nd keeps digiing deep he will get his water.what the op simply meant by no backup is what u have decided to do,focus nd concentrate on it ,dont doubt ,keep hitting it hard until it gives way for u

1 Like

Re: Eight Things Remarkably Successful People Do by chijokz(m): 6:15am On Nov 12, 2012
obowunmi: The only thing that I don't agree with is the back-up plan part. Back-up plans are important.

I concur..I know how many times my back-up plans mostly Plan B, has turned various deals, projects, etc into success..although my Plan A was solid and well thought out but fate or other factors have a way of screwing it up..
Re: Eight Things Remarkably Successful People Do by ba7man(m): 7:12am On Nov 12, 2012
I don't agree with the lack of a back up plan. Having one helps you adapt to different unforseen circumstances and provide flexibility in tackling goals. What if your plan A is the wrong approach?? Will u continue b'cos you belive "Don't have a plan B".
They also don't do all the work themselves, they hire the best people suited for the job. Do you think Dangote is the smartest man in Africa?? He simply hired the smartest brains to work for him.
Re: Eight Things Remarkably Successful People Do by ba7man(m): 7:16am On Nov 12, 2012
onatisi: i think the op is right about no back up plan,it is even biblical,noone that lays his hands on a plough then looks back is worthy of the kingdom,when you are in a desperate situation and there is no other way than one way you cant have a backup plan ,once u re abe to focus and concentrate on that way you will succeed ,it is like someone looking for water ,after digging the ground to around 6ft he stops because he doest get any wter.trust me he can do that 100times and he wont reach the water leve but if he stays in one welll nd keeps digiing deep he will get his water.what the op simply meant by no backup is what u have decided to do,focus nd concentrate on it ,dont doubt ,keep hitting it hard until it gives way for u
That's not giving up...not having a plan B. What if he discovers a better tool to help dig the well faster or finds out that the water table rises at not too far off a distance from where he's digging??
Re: Eight Things Remarkably Successful People Do by Agassa: 8:29am On Nov 12, 2012
The op meant, u should religiously follow ur course to the end.

You don't have to quite for a more convenient 'Plan B' cos u are facing a small setback. The only plan B u should have,is to consistently find ways on improving that venture or goal u so believe in.

1 Like

Re: Eight Things Remarkably Successful People Do by 2baga(m): 10:18am On Nov 12, 2012
isaco: Are you saying back up plan is not good? Because it makes you have somethin to fall back on. If unforeseen happen.

the above just might make u lazy, as in a corner of yr mind u know if yr project fails there is anoda option

1 Like

Re: Eight Things Remarkably Successful People Do by kay29000(m): 10:59am On Nov 12, 2012
When u want to start a business, u should av 100% confidence in succeeding. If u act like this, it might take u a while, but u will reach ur goal eventually. But d moment u av a plan B, u r already setting up urself to fail with plan A.

I think the question shud be if any of u guys complainin about the "no back-up" plan theory av ever tried it before. Have u ever set out with a definite pupose in business, with no plan B? I'm sure the answer is No. So how do u know the benefits of not having a back-up plan? I am speaking from experience. It might be hard, but it works wonders...thats when miracles happen.

I love the person above that used the analogy of digging a well...that was a brilliant illustration.
Re: Eight Things Remarkably Successful People Do by tushbobo(m): 9:07pm On Nov 15, 2012
Life is not cast in stone.Follow too many rules and you are finished.
Re: Eight Things Remarkably Successful People Do by djkellyu(m): 8:31pm On May 13, 2015
21 SECRET OF SUCCESS
1. Dream Big Dreams – visualize, imagine and create an exciting picture of personal prosperity 2. Develop a Clear Sense of Direction – set your goals in writing 3. See Yourself As Self-Employed –take complete control of your career and your financial life 4. Do What You Love To Do – Identify the ideal work for you and then get paid well for it 5. Commit to Excellence – move into the top 10 percent in your field... Click the link to see th rest www.learnerstools.com/2015/03/21-secret-of-success_5.html?m=0

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why You Should Always Update Your CV Even When Employed / Workers Kick Against Salary Cut At NAMA / I Want To Switch Back To My Profession But I'm Confused. Help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.