Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,803 members, 7,824,340 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 08:35 AM

Traffic -Jam In Lagos As Hawkers Are Being Arrested At Agbara By Police And Kai - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Traffic -Jam In Lagos As Hawkers Are Being Arrested At Agbara By Police And Kai (5967 Views)

See Photo: Woman Undressed By Police While Being Arrested / APC Loses Six Rep Seats In Lagos As Igbo Political Clout Grows. / Wole Soyinka Being Arrested In 1967 (pix) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Traffic -Jam In Lagos As Hawkers Are Being Arrested At Agbara By Police And Kai by packman: 1:18pm On Nov 10, 2012
i just passed agbara badagry express way and i saw a serious commotion as the traffic hawkers are seriously struggling with the law enforcement agents
they both arresting and confiscating their goods this is causing both traffic jam and serious commotion

i really cant get wat fashola is trying to establish even in Lagos state ooo please you guys should tell me ooo
Re: Traffic -Jam In Lagos As Hawkers Are Being Arrested At Agbara By Police And Kai by felifeli: 2:20pm On Nov 10, 2012
Good. Send them packing for their villages. Eko o ni baje o!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traffic -Jam In Lagos As Hawkers Are Being Arrested At Agbara By Police And Kai by geeez: 2:38pm On Nov 10, 2012
While I sympathize with them, I think they should realize that there are streets where street hawking is prohibited for security reasons and there are signs on those roads indicating that

Why can't people just obey simple laws? cry

8 Likes

Re: Traffic -Jam In Lagos As Hawkers Are Being Arrested At Agbara By Police And Kai by GARRIx7(m): 2:40pm On Nov 10, 2012
OP:
Wetin concern Fashola??
Re: Traffic -Jam In Lagos As Hawkers Are Being Arrested At Agbara By Police And Kai by packman: 3:18pm On Nov 10, 2012
GARRI (x7):
OP:
Wetin concern Fashola??

u must be seek in your brain for asking such a question...

police and kai go just enter road they carry them without order from above... angry angry angry angry

gosh you are so dull
Re: Traffic -Jam In Lagos As Hawkers Are Being Arrested At Agbara By Police And Kai by seunfly: 3:18pm On Nov 10, 2012
geeez: While I sympathize with them, I think they should realize that there are streets where street hawking is prohibited for security reasons and there are signs on those roads indicating that

Thank you jare, we are just to used to blaming gov and we forget that there should be standard in every thing, somebody hawking on the highway, express road, under high tension cable or railway line is very dangerous to life of both the hawkers, road uses or passer by. But we just don't know that and instead of finding out why, we just blame the gov.

3 Likes

Re: Traffic -Jam In Lagos As Hawkers Are Being Arrested At Agbara By Police And Kai by packman: 3:20pm On Nov 10, 2012
geeez: While I sympathize with them, I think they should realize that there are streets where street hawking is prohibited for security reasons and there are signs on those roads indicating that

are you mad for God sake this is Federal Government road not a street are you blind or you cant read.......
Re: Traffic -Jam In Lagos As Hawkers Are Being Arrested At Agbara By Police And Kai by packman: 3:21pm On Nov 10, 2012
seunfly:

Thank you jare, we are just to used to blaming gov and we forget that there should be standard in every thing, somebody hawking on the highway, express road, under high tension cable or railway line is very dangerous to life of both the hawkers, road uses or passer by. But we just don't know that and instead of finding out why, we just blame the gov.

TRAFFIC HAWKING ITS NOT A NEW THING FOR GOD SAKE WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOUR BRAIN embarassed embarassed embarassed

1 Like

Re: Traffic -Jam In Lagos As Hawkers Are Being Arrested At Agbara By Police And Kai by Desola(f): 3:24pm On Nov 10, 2012
felifeli: Good. Send them packing for their villages. Eko o ni baje o!

O baje ti!
Re: Traffic -Jam In Lagos As Hawkers Are Being Arrested At Agbara By Police And Kai by packman: 3:25pm On Nov 10, 2012
FOR GOD SAKE THIS ARE THE SET OF PEOPLE THAT WAS BUNDLED BY KAI AND THE POLICE angry angry angry angry

Re: Traffic -Jam In Lagos As Hawkers Are Being Arrested At Agbara By Police And Kai by naptu2: 3:33pm On Nov 10, 2012
Hawking and street trading have always been illegal in Lagos (I can remember street traders being arrested from as far back as the 1970s). It is also illegal in most parts of the world. It is illegal for the following reasons and more: -

1) It is dangerous: hawkers can easily be hit by moving cars.

2) It impedes the flow of traffic: buyers usually slow down to purchase things from the hawkers, thereby causing traffic jams. Motorists also have to slow down to avoid hitting hawkers.

3) It can cause accidents: motorists swerve and hit other cars, fall into ditches, etc, because they are trying to avoid hitting hawkers.

4) Armed robbery: (a) People approach your car pretending to be hawkers or beggars. They carry out surveillance to find out if you have valuables in your car (bags, phones, the type of watch you are wearing, jewelry, etc) and inform robbers, who then attack you in traffic. (b) Those criminals that walk up to your car when you are stuck in traffic and point a gun at you are able to do this because police and other motorists mistake them for hawkers.

5) It is illegal to send children out onto the roads to hawk. They should be in school, playing or resting.

There are more reasons.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squeegee_man

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_(trade)

10 Likes

Re: Traffic -Jam In Lagos As Hawkers Are Being Arrested At Agbara By Police And Kai by naptu2: 3:55pm On Nov 10, 2012
Example of an alternative that the traders should take advantage of.

[size=14pt]Isopakodowo Oshodi market complex ready for business[/size]

Tuesday, 04 September 2012 00:00 Chuka Uroko

The Isopakodowo ultra-modern market in Oshodi, Lagos State, is now ready for business men and women who want to do their businesses in a marketplace that is decent and secure.

The market, which was wholly funded by the Lagos State government, has 546 shop spaces in 11 blocks on two floors that the state government says will help take more traders off the street in compliance with the provisions of the new traffic laws in the state.

“This is a market and it is meant for people who genuinely want to sell their wares. The plan of rebuilding this market was to expand and make it more secure. Anybody who comes here will be secure and that was the aim of this effort. One of the provisions of the traffic law is that people should not display their wares on the road,” Femi Hamzat Kadiri, the state commissioner for works and infrastructure, said.

Kadiri who was on inspection tour of the new market disclosed that provision of the market was part of government’s intension to discourage people from selling on the road, adding that government wants to arrange mortgage facility with which it will be easy for people to buy the shops and pay back the mortgage at regular intervals for as long as 10 years. “The mortgage also allows the shop owners to go to banks to build their business. We are discussing with banks to create the mortgage. Our role as government is to create access for people to get the facility,” the commissioner stated.

By the time a buyer gets a shop with good documentation, meaning that the buyer has a good title; something that could be collaterised, he could use his shop as collateral to access loan from the banks, he added.

According to the commissioner, there will be a facility manager who will maintain the place and even fix the cost of the shops; as such a manager is going to ensure the place does not rot and that all the facilities are functional.

At Ilasamaja, along the Apapa-Oshodi Expressway, where there is a failing pedestrian bridge, the commissioner announced that contract had been awarded to Messrs PW Nigeria Limited for its replacement. The bridge, which has been a subject of many public complaints, he said, will be pulled down by Saturday, September 8, 2012, to make way for a new one.

While stating that the process of replacement had commenced with the completion of the sub-soil investigation, the commissioner noted that the bridge had been sealed off to avert any serious mishap and to protect the users from any possible danger.

He said it was important to state that though the road belongs to the Federal Government, the state had sought and obtained the consent of federal authorities so as to proactively replace the bridge that had at an earlier time been rehabilitated.

Hamzat also noted that the public might not see much of work at the site due to changes in the method of construction, assuring however that the construction work would be completed within the stipulated period of four months.

The commissioner who visited other project sites including the Ojuelegba- Lawanson-Itire road, Ajiliti Road in Mile 12 and Multi-Agency Office Complex in Alausa, explained the rationale behind the construction of the multi-agency complex at the old public car park, saying that the proposed three-block complex will end the era of government agencies renting office spaces all over the state, adding that it will promote adequate networking among the agencies.

He explained that the project, sitting on a 24,700 square metres of land, will house one eight-floor block and two adjoining blocks of five floors with pedestrian inter-links and two level parking area that can accommodate 600 vehicles.

http://businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/homes-a-property/43789-isopakodowo-oshodi-market-complex-ready-for-business
Re: Traffic -Jam In Lagos As Hawkers Are Being Arrested At Agbara By Police And Kai by Redmosquito(m): 3:56pm On Nov 10, 2012
Minion:Ur Viciousness! What is wrong with hawkers been taken off the street?
Hades: Young one! Are these not the same mortals that want their land to be as glorified as the ancient city of Rome. Why then do they want to grow armpit bush and still look beautiful?! angry
Minion: My King! Ur words of wisdom educate me

8 Likes

Re: Traffic -Jam In Lagos As Hawkers Are Being Arrested At Agbara By Police And Kai by lukkie(m): 4:02pm On Nov 10, 2012
100% in support. NAPTU2 has said it all above.
Re: Traffic -Jam In Lagos As Hawkers Are Being Arrested At Agbara By Police And Kai by Nobody: 4:08pm On Nov 10, 2012
Hawking is illegal. They should be arrested and enrolled into compulsory government funded skilled acquisition training. I hate to see beggars and hawkers loitering everywhere, tomorrow when they graduate from begging and windscreen cleaning and hawking, they take to okada riding. We need to re-engineer people's minds back to positive values and acumen. Stop hawking today!
Re: Traffic -Jam In Lagos As Hawkers Are Being Arrested At Agbara By Police And Kai by OYINBOGOJU(m): 4:25pm On Nov 10, 2012
If you can't comply with Lagos law STAY IN YOUR VILLAGE.

Very Simple.
Re: Traffic -Jam In Lagos As Hawkers Are Being Arrested At Agbara By Police And Kai by Nobody: 4:31pm On Nov 10, 2012
OYINBOGOJU: If you can't comply with Lagos law STAY IN YOUR VILLAGE.

Very Simple.
..is this ur village.no job and u dont want dem 2 hawk den wat dey shld start stealing abi.u cant develop a state witout developing d people.
Re: Traffic -Jam In Lagos As Hawkers Are Being Arrested At Agbara By Police And Kai by sholasho(m): 4:38pm On Nov 10, 2012
When you send em to the street finally without anything to do they will be forced to get it out from you.
Re: Traffic -Jam In Lagos As Hawkers Are Being Arrested At Agbara By Police And Kai by zizie: 4:47pm On Nov 10, 2012
Is Agbara now part of lagos state? Don't KAI know where the boundary is? SMH
Re: Traffic -Jam In Lagos As Hawkers Are Being Arrested At Agbara By Police And Kai by naptu2: 4:59pm On Nov 10, 2012
zizie: Is Agbara now part of lagos state? Don't KAI know where the boundary is? SMH

I suspect he means the turn off to Agbara on the Lagos-Badagry Expressway.
Re: Traffic -Jam In Lagos As Hawkers Are Being Arrested At Agbara By Police And Kai by geeez: 5:15pm On Nov 10, 2012
packman:

are you mad for God sake this is Federal Government road not a street are you blind or you cant read.......

You must very unintelligent and stupid

Why hasn't the FG stopped the LASG from putting those signs restricting street hawking and motorcycles on those roads?

Ode
Re: Traffic -Jam In Lagos As Hawkers Are Being Arrested At Agbara By Police And Kai by sherrylo: 5:20pm On Nov 10, 2012
zizie: Is Agbara now part of laagos state? Don't KAI know where the boundary is? SMH

There is agbara lagos state and agbara ogun state
Re: Traffic -Jam In Lagos As Hawkers Are Being Arrested At Agbara By Police And Kai by engrfcuksmtin(m): 5:30pm On Nov 10, 2012
OYINBOGOJU: If you can't comply with Lagos law STAY IN YOUR VILLAGE.

Very Simple.
^ dumbest post of the day.
https://www.nairaland.com/1074042/nairaland-most-dumbest
Re: Traffic -Jam In Lagos As Hawkers Are Being Arrested At Agbara By Police And Kai by Nobody: 5:35pm On Nov 10, 2012
Redmosquito: Minion:Ur Viciousness! What is wrong with hawkers been taken off the street?
Hades: Young one! Are these not the same mortals that want their land to be as glorified as the ancient city of Rome. Why then do they want to grow armpit bush and still look beautiful?! angry
Minion: My King! Ur words of wisdom educate me
PLease who really know where the parents of this dude is, please kindly rush to his family house that he his getting out of hand here. he needs to stop smoking dry pawpaw leaf ASAP.
Re: Traffic -Jam In Lagos As Hawkers Are Being Arrested At Agbara By Police And Kai by juman(m): 5:45pm On Nov 10, 2012
naptu2: Hawking and street trading have always been illegal in Lagos (I can remember street traders being arrested from as far back as the 1970s). It is also illegal in most parts of the world. It is illegal for the following reasons and more: -

Hmmm. I also remember one trader goods was confiscated in early 80s.
Re: Traffic -Jam In Lagos As Hawkers Are Being Arrested At Agbara By Police And Kai by Redmosquito(m): 6:07pm On Nov 10, 2012
4bobo:
PLease who really know where the parents of this dude is, please kindly rush to his family house that he his getting out of hand here. he needs to stop smoking dry pawpaw leaf ASAP.
Minion: Mortal! Why do you not offer your argument? That will be more valued than empty rebuke!

2 Likes

Re: Traffic -Jam In Lagos As Hawkers Are Being Arrested At Agbara By Police And Kai by KINGwax(m): 6:21pm On Nov 10, 2012
packman:

police and kai go just enter road they carry them without order from above... angry angry angry angry

gosh you are so dull
you're the dullest. So, everytime, the governor must give orders for other administrational heads to knw their jobs right? If u were the head of the KAI, you don't knw your job is at stake if people are doing the wrong thing that shldnt be under your jurisdiction?
Re: Traffic -Jam In Lagos As Hawkers Are Being Arrested At Agbara By Police And Kai by KINGwax(m): 6:27pm On Nov 10, 2012
packman:

reading through your posts shows you're with a porous brain! Answer ds...
If a state government decides not to repair, dualize a federal road simply because it's not the state's, what will u say? If they decides dt electricity is for the feds and they decides not to do anythin to improve it in the stay, what will u say?
Dumbass, pls listen, any federal roads that fall under the state is within the state's jurisdiction. U heard? The only opportunity the fed give is if u spent a kobo on it when it deems fit, u ask for refund from the feds.
You're too dull jare. U jes can't hold a managerial posts where crucial decisions are expected.
Re: Traffic -Jam In Lagos As Hawkers Are Being Arrested At Agbara By Police And Kai by clemmonce(m): 7:12pm On Nov 10, 2012

you can sit where ever you are and say anything u like. what do you think is the literacy level in naija. do you think those guys knw the road to hawk on and not to hawk on.
Re: Traffic -Jam In Lagos As Hawkers Are Being Arrested At Agbara By Police And Kai by BabaEleko(m): 7:27pm On Nov 10, 2012
I am becoming a huge fan of this "redmosquito" guy. I always look
Out for ur post man.

3 Likes

Re: Traffic -Jam In Lagos As Hawkers Are Being Arrested At Agbara By Police And Kai by aribisala0(m): 8:04pm On Nov 10, 2012
go back to Mexico! or Abuja

Lagos is no longer the capital!
Re: Traffic -Jam In Lagos As Hawkers Are Being Arrested At Agbara By Police And Kai by GARRIx7(m): 9:34pm On Nov 10, 2012
packman:

gosh you are so dull

You're silly...
Law breakers should ßξ arrested.. Na Fashola send them to go disobey??

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Photos Of Osinbajo And Obasanjo At The Funeral Of Robert Mugabe Emerges / PDP At 25: Once Upon A Ruling Party / This Is Not Lekki Nor Banana Island But Onitsha: Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.