Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,943 members, 7,952,802 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 02:02 AM

Ashamed Of Your Traditional Name Based On Religious Beliefs - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Ashamed Of Your Traditional Name Based On Religious Beliefs (6875 Views)

What To Do With Your Opinions On Another Person's (ir)religious Beliefs. / Why People Believe Or Hold Unto Religious Beliefs. / The Social Effects Of Religious Beliefs In Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ashamed Of Your Traditional Name Based On Religious Beliefs by Tirham1: 1:20pm On Nov 12, 2012
Y not sangojimi to Oluwajimi
Re: Ashamed Of Your Traditional Name Based On Religious Beliefs by Tirham1: 1:26pm On Nov 12, 2012
abdulkayus:

wooooow, never knew some xtains names have dis pagan origin, hmmmmm. The roman empires have a great hand in dis, dey are d one dat incorporated many pagan belief in xtianity and disguise it as true xtain belief. Some ppl jus bear name anyhw witout knowin d meanin jus cos it sound cool e.g venus, diana.

Not Christian names western names
Or foreign names
Re: Ashamed Of Your Traditional Name Based On Religious Beliefs by Nobody: 4:25pm On Nov 12, 2012
Idi-Amin:
Someone else I know, a devout christian, changed his surname 'Sangojimi' to 'Israel'

Let the dumb animal name himslef Israel. If I ever have a son, I'll name him Sangojimi or something equally awesome.
The slowpoke might as well change is name to England.

2 Likes

Re: Ashamed Of Your Traditional Name Based On Religious Beliefs by Nobody: 8:02am On Sep 30, 2013
Epic thread!

2 Likes

Re: Ashamed Of Your Traditional Name Based On Religious Beliefs by UyiIredia(m): 8:18am On Sep 30, 2013
Niflheim: @idi-amin,do not mind them,they have been brainwashed, and yet most of the names that these same european christians use,have pagan origins,yet they never changed it and they are doing well!!!

In fact, if Christians knew how deep paganism is attached to Christianity, before the Catholicchurvh and in Biblical times, they would either reject God entirely, follow in the footsteps of Fela and so believe in the superiority or equal validity of their indigenous religions. In fact, a number of Biblical names have pagan roots. Google is your best friend to confirm this or not.
Re: Ashamed Of Your Traditional Name Based On Religious Beliefs by Candour(m): 9:23am On Sep 30, 2013
Funny responses grin

My surname has its root in a deity my ancestors were custodians of. We did a family deliverance in 2009 with the intention to change the name afterwards but I just couldn't bring myself to change my beautiful surname.

It was believed that the name was limiting our family potentials. I had a rethink when I wanted to change jobs and met 2 directors in my dream company with names that translated ' the god of iron has come' and 'the oracle carried me'.

There and then, I decided that if these names didn't limit these guys, why should mine do? Make devil go siddon for gutter jare.

Imagine someone changing her name from 'Fafunke' to 'Esther', abeg what is the difference?
Re: Ashamed Of Your Traditional Name Based On Religious Beliefs by FOLYKAZE(m): 9:29am On Sep 30, 2013
I trashed my last name 'samson' and call it folykaze.

My surname explain my lineage and it part to knowing my ancestral history. I love it
Re: Ashamed Of Your Traditional Name Based On Religious Beliefs by tpiander: 4:43pm On Aug 26, 2015
monalicious:
Names and their meanings have a way of reflecting in one's characters,@ times.instead of changing these traditional names which have a fetish meaning,to a foreign name,one could easily remove the fetish part of the name and replace it with whatever they like.

makes sense.
Re: Ashamed Of Your Traditional Name Based On Religious Beliefs by kevoh(m): 5:42pm On Aug 26, 2015
Ah,the good times. When we had mature threads being created by mature minds on Nairaland unlike now.

2 Likes

Re: Ashamed Of Your Traditional Name Based On Religious Beliefs by Antichristus: 11:02am On Dec 17, 2017
Whatever degrees they hold (I'm saying that because many Nigerians are certificated uneducated folks) and no matter how enlightened they think they are, those Nigerians fall into the category of what Fela Anikulapo Kuti described as "colonial mentality." But hey, leave them, another generation is coming to change those names into something else e.g. whizkid. Then, their lineage would disappear into oblivion and their children's children would procreate incestuously. SHAME!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Is It Impossible For Prophet TB Joshua To Use Demonic Power To Do Healing / Are There Any Former Muslims In Here? / How Can I Evangelise My Friends And Family Without Pushing Them Away?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.