Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,010 members, 7,817,977 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:12 AM

Can A Nigerian Man Be Happy With An English Wife? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Can A Nigerian Man Be Happy With An English Wife? (21136 Views)

Poll: Yes or no?

Yes: 75% (78 votes)
No: 25% (26 votes)
This poll has ended

Nigerian Man Turns Woman: Mr Dapo Adaralegbe, Now Miss Stephanie Adaralegbe / Tips On Dating A Nigerian Man / Can a Black man Be Racist Towards Fellow Blacks? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A Nigerian Man Be Happy With An English Wife? by Blatant: 6:15pm On Feb 12, 2008
Can a Nigerian man be happy with an English wife

Tales by moonlight
Re: Can A Nigerian Man Be Happy With An English Wife? by mamaput(f): 9:18pm On Feb 12, 2008
yvskc:

No Romeo,I did not!And would not ,I love my fellow woman grin
Which is why I am extending a hand of friendship to mamaput and hopefully
end all this nonsense.
mamaput u are prob right that people here are younger than you and I,although I don't know how
old u are, at 34 I am too old to be scrapping with a woman I do not know.We should set example
for younger generation eh?
And as Christians have a more forgiving heart.
What do u say? cheesy

ok but there is nothing to forgive. the shit that hit the fan did not hit my face.
Re: Can A Nigerian Man Be Happy With An English Wife? by mamaput(f): 9:19pm On Feb 12, 2008
Can a Nigerian man be happy with an English wife

Tales by moonlight

maybe for you.
Re: Can A Nigerian Man Be Happy With An English Wife? by romeo(m): 9:43pm On Feb 12, 2008
mamaput:

ok but there is nothing to forgive. the shit that hit the fan did not hit my face.

Abeg Mamaput!! the shit scatter for your fine face cheesy
Re: Can A Nigerian Man Be Happy With An English Wife? by mamaput(f): 10:43pm On Feb 12, 2008
almondjoy when some fool rains you with "blessings" you will not wish your worst enemy you say thankyou ABI-
The fool will be sitting in his church on sunday singing Jesus is god at the top of his voice and sleep with his bible under his pillow.

romeo please i have soap and water even disinfectant
Re: Can A Nigerian Man Be Happy With An English Wife? by yvskc(f): 10:49pm On Feb 12, 2008
Tales by moonlight, how romantic. And valentine's day just 48 hrs away
cheesy   cheesy
Romeo, sometimes u just have to give up for the sake of peace, grin
@mamaput :Even small things can be forgiven,such as misunderstanding.
I wasn't aware that any faeces had hit any electric equipment, but I am not going to get involved and belittle myself,
neither should u. Be cool  cool and show love to at least one person every day, you will live longer, trust me  grin
Re: Can A Nigerian Man Be Happy With An English Wife? by spoilt(f): 11:06pm On Feb 12, 2008
mamaput abeg put rice for me ! grin grin
ok. im kidding. relax now. wetin yvskc do you?
Re: Can A Nigerian Man Be Happy With An English Wife? by Nobody: 12:06am On Feb 13, 2008
mamput,na wetin?
that time of the month? lipsrsealed
Re: Can A Nigerian Man Be Happy With An English Wife? by Nobody: 12:07am On Feb 13, 2008
spoilt:

[b]mamaput abeg put rice for me ! grin grin[/b]ok. im kidding. relax now. wetin yvskc do you?

with or without?
Re: Can A Nigerian Man Be Happy With An English Wife? by spoilt(f): 2:07am On Feb 13, 2008
nwando:

with or without?

put one fish. grin grin grin
Re: Can A Nigerian Man Be Happy With An English Wife? by almondjoy(f): 4:12am On Feb 13, 2008
mamaput:

almondjoy when some fool rains you with "blessings" you will not wish your worst enemy you say thankyou ABI-
The fool will be sitting in his church on sunday singing Jesus is god at the top of his voice and sleep with his bible under his pillow.

romeo please i have soap and water even disinfectant

I understand mama"P". We all have moments like this once in a while. Just try and relax ok. I found your position on the whole thing more funny than baffling. But like I said--we all have moments like this. Just relax and work with Madam yvskc a little. She needs support from her fellow women. cheesy grin
Re: Can A Nigerian Man Be Happy With An English Wife? by romeo(m): 8:50am On Feb 13, 2008
Hmmmmmm too many Mamas for this thread jooo!! make i comot now now
Re: Can A Nigerian Man Be Happy With An English Wife? by mamaput(f): 9:01am On Feb 13, 2008
spoilt:

mamaput abeg put rice for me ! grin grin
ok. im kidding. relax now. wetin yvskc do you?

i only sell beans.
backed beans , kidney beans, boiled beans bean cake etc
Re: Can A Nigerian Man Be Happy With An English Wife? by RDynamite(f): 2:00pm On Feb 13, 2008
I won't say much on this topic but seriously it doesn't make sense to me that after 15 years of marriage with 5 kids, a woman will ask "Can A Nigerian Man Be Happy With An English Wife"? I must be sincere, it makes no iota of sense. I mean, this is the kind of question your kids should be asking themselves seeing how their parents go about their marriage.(someone correct me if I'm wrong)

If there's nothing fishy about your marriage then you need to work on your paranoia undecided Or what were you expecting to hear? That a Nigerian man won't be happy with "an English" woman?

Most Nigerians can be happy with anyone as long as YOU make them happy(this could be in many forms).

As for him cooking and all that blah blah, haha! You better PEEP beyond this! Nigerians can be very loving but very harmful on the other hand. Nothing you say can make me eat my words though so. . . . People are just strange. It's only a matter of time and circumstance.

However, enjoy your marriage. I'm happy for you.
Re: Can A Nigerian Man Be Happy With An English Wife? by iice(f): 2:09pm On Feb 13, 2008
R-Dynamite:

I won't say much on this topic but seriously it doesn't make sense to me that after 15 years of marriage with 5 kids, a woman will ask "Can A Nigerian Man Be Happy With An English Wife"? I must be sincere, it makes no iota of sense.

Reason why i didn't even bother
Re: Can A Nigerian Man Be Happy With An English Wife? by romeo(m): 3:19pm On Feb 13, 2008
R-Dynamite:

I won't say much on this topic but seriously it doesn't make sense to me that after 15 years of marriage with 5 kids, a woman will ask "Can A Nigerian Man Be Happy With An English Wife"? I must be sincere, it makes no iota of sense. I mean, this is the kind of question your kids should be asking themselves seeing how their parents go about their marriage.(someone correct me if I'm wrong)

If there's nothing fishy about your marriage then you need to work on your paranoia undecided Or what were you expecting to hear? That a Nigerian man won't be happy with "an English" woman?

Most Nigerians can be happy with anyone as long as YOU make them happy(this could be in many forms).

As for him cooking and all that blah blah, haha! You better PEEP beyond this! Nigerians can be very loving but very harmful on the other hand. Nothing you say can make me eat my words though so. . . . People are just strange. It's only a matter of time and circumstance.

However, enjoy your marriage. I'm happy for you.

She wanted to know more about Nigerians and i believe she came to the wrong place though, Too many igbo haters and ignorants of igbo cultures! They will not offer you good advice but they will spend more time trying to find faults in your post to prove their " i too know disease".

Some people always want to be smart where they shouldn't be wink
Re: Can A Nigerian Man Be Happy With An English Wife? by faketan(m): 3:41pm On Feb 13, 2008
Mamaput
Abeg are you mixed race or hardcore naija? No offence intended?

Meanwhile, I need ogbono soup with egusi, put okporoko, and isi ewu?

You get nkwobi? Ok good give one plate to yvskc, then another nkwobi plate for leilah.

I think Almondjoy will like one plate too.

Ok give malta guiness to everyone or 5-alive if they prefer that.

In fact give them whatever they want eeeh
How much shocked?
Re: Can A Nigerian Man Be Happy With An English Wife? by romeo(m): 3:55pm On Feb 13, 2008
Abeg give me Rioja vintage red wine of 1995
Re: Can A Nigerian Man Be Happy With An English Wife? by yvskc(f): 4:03pm On Feb 13, 2008
Maybe I should have re-phrased my question as it seems to have puzzled some as to my motives.I don't understand why to be honest.
My thread should have read something like "Does not speaking the local dialect really matter?"
I did not pose my question expecting to find the answer to whether or not I should have married an Igbo,I don't need guidance or
advice in that area because it's true that after 15 years I am where I belong,and neither one of us wants out.
I am far from paranoid,I have never been the type of woman to worry over my man unnecessarily. I suppose that in thinkin about bein
in Nigeria permanently questions have arisen. My mother asked me the same question,about how I would feel being around Igbo speakers
all of the time. If I ask the opinion of my English friends they will be unable to relate and the Igbo friends and family we have in the uk all
say don't worry,but I still find it hard to be in a room with people and not understand what they are saying! undecided
We are proof that an English woman can make a Nigerian happy  smiley and vice versa grin
And I understand where u are comin from R-Dynamite, but our children would not be asking that question
because they don't see us as Nigerian and English,they see us as mum and dad smiley
I just don't want to feel isolated when I am there,I lead a very independant life and has some very good girl friends here,I will miss talking
to them on a level. Whatever your mother tongue it always allows you to be more natural in your behaviour when u are speaking it,I believe
Maybe I need advice from foreign men and women married to Nigerians who actually live in Nigeria.
Re: Can A Nigerian Man Be Happy With An English Wife? by tpia: 6:47pm On Feb 13, 2008
romeo:

She wanted to know more about Nigerians and i believe she came to the wrong place though, Too many igbo haters and ignorants of igbo cultures! They will not offer you good advice but they will spend more time trying to find faults in your post to prove their " i too know disease".

can you  plz go back and follow this thread from the beginning instead of posting prejudiced comments.

99% of the posters/responders here are either Igbo, half Igbo or married to Igbo. So who are the Igbo bashers and where are you seeing Igbo hating?

The only person being bashed unequivocally that I can see, is Leilah.  People were raining abuses on both her and her husband.  And she was told the quality of her own man is less than others, since nobody on Nairaland or even Nigeria itself has ever done anything her husband may be doing.

I don't know what you are reading here. undecided
Re: Can A Nigerian Man Be Happy With An English Wife? by almondjoy(f): 8:07pm On Feb 13, 2008
tpia:

can you plz go back and follow this thread from the beginning instead of posting prejudiced comments.

99% of the posters/responders here are either Igbo, half Igbo or married to Igbo. So who are the Igbo bashers and where are you seeing Igbo hating?

The only person being bashed unequivocally that I can see, is Leilah. People were raining abuses on both her and her husband. And she was told the quality of her own man is less than others, since nobody on Nairaland or even Nigeria itself has ever done anything her husband may be doing.

It is like you were reading ma mind! I just decided to leave it alone because I do not like to visit the same issues twice! This precious "igbo" blood--na only some people get am for this Nairaland I swear! cheesy

I hope he can answer you! cheesy
Re: Can A Nigerian Man Be Happy With An English Wife? by oziomatv(m): 8:21pm On Feb 13, 2008
Ebi like sey today na so so fight me I no put mouth.
I dey warm up for valentine eve hard core with my woman.
Re: Can A Nigerian Man Be Happy With An English Wife? by mamaput(f): 8:42pm On Feb 13, 2008
moi moi for all of you but only with tap water
Re: Can A Nigerian Man Be Happy With An English Wife? by oziomatv(m): 8:43pm On Feb 13, 2008
do you serve ofe owerri?
Re: Can A Nigerian Man Be Happy With An English Wife? by RDynamite(f): 8:55pm On Feb 13, 2008
yvskc:

Maybe I should have re-phrased my question as it seems to have puzzled some as to my motives.I don't understand why to be honest.
I'm positive that you wouldn't prefer lies instead.

yvskc:

My thread should have read something like "Does not speaking the local dialect really matter?"

This is what you should have asked yourself before marriage or better still would have learnt IBO in this 15 years.
yvskc:

I did not pose my question expecting to find the answer to whether or not I should have married an Igbo,I don't need guidance or
advice in that area because it's true that after 15 years I am where I belong,and neither one of us wants out.

Where did you get this from?
yvskc:

My mother asked me the same question,about how I would feel being around Igbo speakers
all of the time. I still find it hard to be in a room with people and not understand what they are saying! undecided

True, but if you feel uncomfortable around people you don't understand their language and you MUST live in their midst, then you should learn their language if it so bothers you. I mean, what can I say
yvskc:

We are proof that an English woman can make a Nigerian happy smiley and vice versa ;
Heavens!!! So, what's the point of this topic

yvskc:

And I understand where u are comin from R-Dynamite, but our children would not be asking that question
because they don't see us as Nigerian and English,they see us as mum and dad smiley

Obviously they know you guys are their parents but what do you tell them when they ask where they're from and obviously figure out that you're mixed and he's black? wink

yvskc:

Maybe I need advice from foreign men and women married to Nigerians who actually live in Nigeria.

I think Mamaput mentioned a website to you earlier on. www.nigerwives.com

You said you have a very happy marriage where your "king" treats you like a "queen". Dear, dialect is the least to worry about but if it so disturbs you then learn the language, period!
Re: Can A Nigerian Man Be Happy With An English Wife? by romeo(m): 9:00pm On Feb 13, 2008
tpia:

can you plz go back and follow this thread from the beginning instead of posting prejudiced comments.

The only person being bashed unequivocally that I can see, is Leilah. People were raining abuses on both her and her husband. And she was told the quality of her own man is less than others, since nobody on Nairaland or even Nigeria itself has ever done anything her husband may be doing.

I know what i am saying when i mentioned "igbo haters" .
I said she came to the wrong place " Nairaland"
I am not new in this nairaland and i know them all

Maybe you're the one that needs to read from the first post, with just a single post you're now telling me to follow the thread, LoL

almondjoy:

It is like you were reading ma mind! I just decided to leave it alone because I do not like to visit the same issues twice! This precious "igbo" blood--na only some people get am for this Nairaland I swear! cheesy

I hope he can answer you! cheesy

No dey look for back up wink , and i have answered him

romeo:

She wanted to know more about Nigerians and[b] i believe she came to the wrong place though, Too many igbo haters and ignorants of igbo cultures![/b] They will not offer you good advice but they will spend more time trying to find faults in your post to prove their " i too know disease".

I am qouting myself here, i am sure you're paying attention tpia
Re: Can A Nigerian Man Be Happy With An English Wife? by tpia: 10:58pm On Feb 13, 2008
romeo:

I know what i am saying when i mentioned "igbo haters" .
I said she came to the wrong place " Nairaland"
I am not new in this nairaland and i know them all

Maybe you're the one that needs to read from the first post, with just a single post you're now telling me to follow the thread, LoL

No dey look for back up wink , and i have answered him

I am qouting myself here, i am sure you're paying attention tpia

if you're referring to the side argument between yourself, mellow and oziomatv disputing the Igboness or otherwise of Delta Ibos, then maybe you guys should start another thread to debate that. 

The only Igbo man who is being hated on here is Leilah's husband.  That's why I said you should reread the thread from the beginning.

Doublecheck  what you're referring to as Igbo hating.

Kindly point out the exact posts which are " Igbo hating" on this thread. 

See your first post here, (a diatribe against "mixed" people, b.tw):
Mixed as in Hausa/Yoruba or Bini/Efik ? Who will not claim to be igbo again here!! In and out of English schools in Nigeria or outside Nigeria? small children of nowadays

@topic
Pay more attention to your family and leave all those old women giving you advice here because a good wife does not spend all her time on internet forums. If you had not stated that he took you to Nigeria to meet his parents, they would've told you to run away from him!

Egusi soup, pounded yam or Kedu is not what a man needs!! A man needs 24hrs support of the wife and vice versa

You are the one who's prejudiced, as far as I can see. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Re: Can A Nigerian Man Be Happy With An English Wife? by spoilt(f): 12:23am On Feb 14, 2008
wawa:

Mamaput
Abeg are yopu mixed race or hardcore naija? No offence intended?

Meanwhile, I need ogbono soup with egusi, put okporoko, and isi ewu?

You get nkwobi? Ok good give one plate to yvskc, then another nkwobi plate for leilah.

I think Almondjoy will like one plate too.

Ok give malta guiness to everyone or 5-alive if they prefer that.

In fact give them whatever they want eeeh
How much shocked?

mamaput is not cheap. her price fit shave your head to gorimapa! grin

oziomatv:

do you serve ofe owerri?

hehehehe. grin grin
Re: Can A Nigerian Man Be Happy With An English Wife? by mamaput(f): 8:26am On Feb 14, 2008
tpia when the talk is about igbo heaters,you have to read the whole forum to find out and not just one trend.

Obviously they know you guys are their parents but what do you tell them when they ask where they're from and obviously figure out that you're mixed and he's black?

you tell them nothing because they will not ask.
They did not wake up one fine morning to find out they were mixed. after all they know the name of their fathers village and that they are Nigerians.
granted she would have had enough time to learn the language but that will not be easy in the UK.
if she had been in Nigeria she would have picked up the language.
and if at all we blame the husband. nothing stopped him from speaking Igbo to the children from when they were born. That way sh too would have picked up the language.
Re: Can A Nigerian Man Be Happy With An English Wife? by RDynamite(f): 9:49am On Feb 14, 2008
mamaput:

you tell them nothing because they will not ask.
They did not wake up one fine morning to find out they were mixed. after all they know the name of their fathers village and that they are Nigerians.

they know their fathers village abi? lol

Children are curious creatures. They always ask questions and there's no limit to what they ask. Or may be it's only the ones I've seen including myself when I was small.

They didn't just figure out they were Nigerian/Jamo/Irish. I'm sure they asked or probably the parents told them without them asking wink
Re: Can A Nigerian Man Be Happy With An English Wife? by Naijadr: 10:51am On Feb 14, 2008
@ poster, u'll be alright, my uncle married his Trini-British wife like 33+ years ago, and they've lived in Enugu together for almost 30yrs!! I never even realized as a kid that she wasnt Nigerian, till I got older, i mean I should have known from her skin complexion because she's mixed but I think it was the way she carried herself. In the village which they go to very very often, everyone pretty much knows her and she's very much one of us.

My other uncle married a black american, and she lived with him in lagos for 20yrs, matter of fact she's one of the better wives married into the fam, and she doesnt speak Igbo. I used to laugh when she'd come for the village meetings, and then have my mom or aunties interprete for her grin You couldnt tell Auntie C nothing, she came in and got very comfy, and we all love her that! I think what really matters is your level of interaction with everyone, the homely u are, the easier it will be. Auntie C did pick up some Igbo words, but when u say stuff she doesnt understand, she'll just keep a smile, and later turn to one of us and ask quietly, "what did they just say", then play it off, 27yrs later, she still rocks!

Dont worry much, from your posts u seem like a great woman, I'm sure your husband knows that, and its his right to look after u, my Igbo people love them some kids so u already satisfied it with 5 grin and looks like u already have given them their male child, so case closed!! cheesy
Learn to cook some of the native soups well be it onugbu (if he's from anambra) or oha (if he's from abia) or some mean nsala, or master the skills of making tasty abacha or ugba. Whatever u know how to make, make it your specialty, make enough for everyone, and your house will be forever full with family "well wishers" who will sing praises of this their oyinbo wife!!
Re: Can A Nigerian Man Be Happy With An English Wife? by RDynamite(f): 11:35am On Feb 14, 2008
Naijadr:

make enough for everyone, and your house will be forever full with family "well wishers" who will sing praises of this their oyinbo wife!!

I'll only laugh grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Olubadan, Adetunji Saliu Celebrates 91st Birthday (Photos) / Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? / 5 Foreign Countries That Speaks YORUBA, No. 3 Use It As Official Language

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.