Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,070 members, 7,821,674 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:43 PM

Do/Would You Tell Your Kids Your Age? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do/Would You Tell Your Kids Your Age? (1147 Views)

What's So Special About Your Age That You Hide It? / Getting Married To Your Age mate / Would You Tell Your Spouse You Cheated If The Lord Asks You To? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do/Would You Tell Your Kids Your Age? by Nobody: 4:14pm On Nov 12, 2012
PURPOSE OF THREAD-To have an inkling on how open nairaland parents and parents-to-be,are/will be towards their children on age issue.

BODY OF THREAD-
Many African parents,i believe,do not like sharing their real age with their kids.When i was a child,i had severally asked my mum and dad how old they were.sometimes,they would shun my question,other times,they would say an impossible figure like 12yrs.Of course,i later found out by myself,only when i became an adult. I don't really know the reason behind this. So, i ask 4 your stand on this and reasons 4 taking such. As a parent/parent-to-be, do/would you tell your children your age when they ask? (I mean children,from Early childhood to 'teenagehood'.
Re: Do/Would You Tell Your Kids Your Age? by jodam: 4:32pm On Nov 12, 2012
Why not!
What am I hiding from my kids.
Re: Do/Would You Tell Your Kids Your Age? by k2039: 5:11pm On Nov 12, 2012
Well I have access to their CV's so I know there ages and besides when I was growing up I make cards for their birthdays with their ages inscribe on it.

So I dont see any reason why parents shouldnt be open with their ages,besides if they dont the kids will find out later.
Re: Do/Would You Tell Your Kids Your Age? by Nobody: 5:18pm On Nov 12, 2012
k2039: Well I have access to their CV's so I know there ages and besides when I was growing up I make cards for their birthdays with their ages inscribe on it.

So I dont see any reason why parents shouldnt be open with their ages,besides if they dont the kids will find out later.
True talk...good choice
Re: Do/Would You Tell Your Kids Your Age? by Nobody: 5:21pm On Nov 12, 2012
jodam: Why not!
What am I hiding from my kids.
exactly,what am pondering on.why do some parents refuse to tell their lil kids their age??
Re: Do/Would You Tell Your Kids Your Age? by greatgod2012(f): 9:23pm On Nov 12, 2012
See question o at dis civilised age, if my kids dont know my age, then, who else have d right to know it?
Re: Do/Would You Tell Your Kids Your Age? by slimyem: 9:49pm On Nov 12, 2012
I don't know yet...
Maybe if i'm convinced of how necessary it is....and when the right age is to tell them..
I didn't know my parents' age until i became an adult...and knowing it didn't change anything same as not knowing it as a kid didn't matter too!!
Re: Do/Would You Tell Your Kids Your Age? by Nobody: 10:02pm On Nov 12, 2012
slimyem: I don't know yet...
Maybe if i'm convinced of how necessary it is....and when the right age is to tell them..
I didn't know my parents' age until i became an adult...and knowing it didn't change anything same as not knowing it as a kid didn't matter too!!

Those were in the "Olden Days!" wink That was back in 1944. Go, you can admit it to me, I won't tell anyone.
Re: Do/Would You Tell Your Kids Your Age? by Nobody: 10:03pm On Nov 12, 2012
Our children will know our ages, as soon as they can comprehend numbers. I knew both my parents ages, from when I was 6, there was nothing hidden.
Re: Do/Would You Tell Your Kids Your Age? by jodam: 11:05pm On Nov 12, 2012
binger: exactly,what am pondering on.why do some parents refuse to tell their lil kids their age??

Some kids could be naughty.
''my father is older than ur father. How old is your father first before I tell you mine?''
Re: Do/Would You Tell Your Kids Your Age? by slimyem: 11:15am On Nov 13, 2012
Siena:

Those were in the "Olden Days!" wink That was back in 1944. Go, you can admit it to me, I won't tell anyone.
haha!!cheesy
Its not so way back..
Just a few decades ago...
I still want to know if and why its important my children know my age though...
And when to tell them too...
Do i just call them all together and tell it or do i leave clues all around and have them figure it out?
Of what use is it to them?
Re: Do/Would You Tell Your Kids Your Age? by maclatunji: 1:57pm On Nov 13, 2012
Siena:

LOL. It will be on a need to know basis God-willing.
Re: Do/Would You Tell Your Kids Your Age? by jodam: 3:02pm On Nov 13, 2012
slimyem: haha!!cheesy
Its not so way back..
Just a few decades ago...
I still want to know if and why its important my children know my age though...
And when to tell them too...
Do i just call them all together and tell it or do i leave clues all around and have them figure it out?
Of what use is it to them?

So, you think they wouldn't ask.
''Mummy, I am now 5yrs, how old are you too?''
Re: Do/Would You Tell Your Kids Your Age? by Nobody: 3:14pm On Nov 13, 2012
slimyem: Of what use is it to them?

Just tell them! C'mon sis! I know the average Nigerian is cagey about his / her age, and if you ask, they're likely to ask what you want to do with it. But these are your own kids! Are you worried they're going to do something with your age?
Re: Do/Would You Tell Your Kids Your Age? by Nobody: 10:08pm On Nov 13, 2012
Wow, families are different o.shocked I knew my parents date, month, year of birth as soon as I knew how to count. cool
Re: Do/Would You Tell Your Kids Your Age? by Nobody: 11:58am On Nov 14, 2012
I wnt tell my kids my age until they attain a height of maturity. Kids do not know what to spill and what to keep. So for that i would help them keep it.
Re: Do/Would You Tell Your Kids Your Age? by Nobody: 11:06am On Nov 15, 2012
Ms.JuanMata:
I wnt tell my kids my age until they attain a height of maturity. Kids do not know what to spill and what to keep. So for that i would help them keep it.
Very good reason.perhaps that's why my parents didn't tell me when i asked as a kid.
Re: Do/Would You Tell Your Kids Your Age? by Nobody: 11:20am On Nov 15, 2012
Age is such a big deal for Nigerians.
Can any nairalander here be bold enough to tell us their age? I guess NO.

My kids knew my age right from the time they knew theirs.
Re: Do/Would You Tell Your Kids Your Age? by Jallowbalde: 7:38pm On Nov 15, 2012
My husbands mother dont even know exactly how old she is. My husband barely know his own age. Bush-people grin

Seems like a normal gambian thing, though. Up until about 15-18years ago, almost no-one registrated births, so many people older than that can only guess their birth, by f.ex knowing something special happen that year, or a year they remember when they were so-so old.

For me, as a western woman, it took some time getting used to no always asking how old people are, cause thats one of the first things you ask in my culture when you meet someone new. They just dont know, and they dont celebrate birthdays either.

But, my mother in law do know that my husband was born on a thursday. Lol.
Re: Do/Would You Tell Your Kids Your Age? by maclatunji: 4:39pm On Nov 16, 2012
BlueDiva: Age is such a big deal for Nigerians.

Hehehe- not a fair comment.
Re: Do/Would You Tell Your Kids Your Age? by slimyem: 7:21pm On Nov 16, 2012

You are a nairalander.....
How old are you??
Pls tell us!!
Re: Do/Would You Tell Your Kids Your Age? by dayokanu(m): 7:36pm On Nov 16, 2012

Bluediva, Oya lead and give us the specific, Not just the "around this and this oo" everyone already know that you are between 20 and 50 so

Whats your age

1 Like

Re: Do/Would You Tell Your Kids Your Age? by zayhal(f): 8:48pm On Nov 17, 2012
I knew my parents' ages as far back as when I started counting mine, dates of birth, day, time and even circumstances surrounding their births. ‎​ℓoℓ‎​. I also saw no big deal in telling my kids my age until when my daughter started telling her friends and everyone around. She would go like "... I'm xyr old, my mummy is y yrs, my daddy is Z yrs, our baby is B months...". But fortunately, when I told her it's not cool to just go telling everyone our ages she has since stopped.

I have no regrets telling her though. I'll still do same with her younger ones. The kids of this age, even if you don't tell them, they'll ask. My daughter even knows my mother's age.
Re: Do/Would You Tell Your Kids Your Age? by Nobody: 9:13pm On Nov 17, 2012
dayokanu:

Bluediva, Oya lead and give us the specific, Not just the "around this and this oo" everyone already know that you are between 20 and 50 so

Whats your age

LOL. . .Late 30's.
Fair enough innit?
Re: Do/Would You Tell Your Kids Your Age? by slimyem: 9:30pm On Nov 17, 2012
BlueDiva:

LOL. . .Late 30's.
Fair enough innit?
No!
The exact age...
Aint nothing wrong in telling it...is there??
Or you aint bold enough to tell us?
Re: Do/Would You Tell Your Kids Your Age? by Nobody: 2:37am On Nov 18, 2012
slimyem: No!
The exact age...
Aint nothing wrong in telling it...is there??
Or you aint bold enough to tell us?

Didn't you read my comment about revealing ones age being a big deal for Nigerians?
This is not a 'reveal your age' thread.
Re: Do/Would You Tell Your Kids Your Age? by slimyem: 4:12am On Nov 18, 2012
BlueDiva:

Didn't you read my comment about revealing ones age being a big deal for Nigerians?
Are you not a Nigerian??
Your comment inferred that age aint no big deal and one should be willing to tell it all the time not minding who is asking or the reasons for asking...
Or isn't that it??
Re: Do/Would You Tell Your Kids Your Age? by slimyem: 4:12am On Nov 18, 2012
BlueDiva:

Re: Do/Would You Tell Your Kids Your Age? by Nobody: 7:55am On Nov 19, 2012
slimyem: Are you not a Nigerian??
Your comment inferred that age aint no big deal and one should be willing to tell it all the time not minding who is asking or the reasons for asking...
Or isn't that it??

You must be a genius by coming up with that assumption from what i wrote.
Now let's go to school here. Comprehension 101

BlueDiva: 1 Age is such a big deal for Nigerians.
2 Can any nairalander here be bold enough to tell us their age? 3 I guess NO.

1. A general observation, a hypothesis if you like.
2. A test of that hypothesis using nairalanders as a sample. If people started telling their ages then it means the statement has been proved wrong.
3. A conclusion on statement 1. Which has been proved right too because folks ain't telling.

Now, i'm a Nigerian and a nairalander and that statement of age being a big deal also holds true for me innit.
I can't remember saying i was different.
Re: Do/Would You Tell Your Kids Your Age? by slimyem: 10:27am On Nov 19, 2012
BlueDiva:

You must be a genius by coming up with that assumption from what i wrote.
Now let's go to school here. Comprehension 101

1. A general observation, a hypothesis if you like.
2. A test of that hypothesis using nairalanders as a sample. If people started telling their ages then it means the statement has been proved wrong.
3. A conclusion on statement 1. Which has been proved right too because folks ain't telling.

Now, i'm a Nigerian and a nairalander and that statement of age being a big deal also holds true for me innit.
I can't remember saying i was different.
lose the sarcarsm...
You post subtly inferred that you were different...and that was was i was trying to draw out/be clear on.
Re: Do/Would You Tell Your Kids Your Age? by Nobody: 11:32am On Nov 19, 2012
slimyem:
lose the sarcarsm...
You post subtly inferred that you were different...and that was was i was trying to draw out/be clear on.

No need. . .
Abeg back to topic.

(1) (Reply)

I Was Once THIRTEEN / 4 Effective Steps To Building Self-esteem / Man Killed Wife, Son With Crossbow.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.