Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,845 members, 7,810,256 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:06 AM

Chinua Achebe Should Be Charged With War Crimes. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chinua Achebe Should Be Charged With War Crimes. (6523 Views)

Dokpesi Can Be Charged With Conspiracy – Sagay / Diezani To Be Charged Alongside Her Mother - Sahara Reporters / Video: Biafra Radio Founder Nnamdi Kanu Threatens Nigerians With War (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chinua Achebe Should Be Charged With War Crimes. by buffny: 9:36pm On Nov 12, 2012
in light of evidence that Biafra troops committed egregious attrocities against minority civilian populations , Chinua Achebe being a senior member of the Biafra government and other members of said government still alive should be charged with war crimes.

Re: Chinua Achebe Should Be Charged With War Crimes. by T9ksy(m): 9:39pm On Nov 12, 2012
@ Op, but biafrans are saints who never killed anyone.................except those that deserve to be mudered!

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe Should Be Charged With War Crimes. by Nobody: 9:44pm On Nov 12, 2012
Oya Achebe. Over to you. I heard they were also massacres by Igbo soldiers of civilians in the midwest following their capture of the place.
Re: Chinua Achebe Should Be Charged With War Crimes. by vislabraye(m): 10:06pm On Nov 12, 2012
undecidedIts a pity I can't read it.
Re: Chinua Achebe Should Be Charged With War Crimes. by buffny: 12:11am On Nov 13, 2012
where are acheeeeebes defenders.
Re: Chinua Achebe Should Be Charged With War Crimes. by malele(m): 3:06am On Nov 13, 2012
Gowon and awolowo should be charged with peace crimes. MUMU

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe Should Be Charged With War Crimes. by Nobody: 4:41am On Nov 13, 2012
Enough of the bullsh*t talk
Re: Chinua Achebe Should Be Charged With War Crimes. by Nobody: 4:44am On Nov 13, 2012
ICC, over to you.
down goes ashebe lol.
Re: Chinua Achebe Should Be Charged With War Crimes. by buffny: 8:17am On Nov 13, 2012
achebe should be charged with war crimes.
Re: Chinua Achebe Should Be Charged With War Crimes. by bushwailo: 10:36pm On Nov 13, 2012
Why hasn't the whole Biafran issue been taken to ICC
So that Achebe, Awo, Gowon and everyone else implicated will face the law.

So that we can all move forward
Re: Chinua Achebe Should Be Charged With War Crimes. by sleekdot(m): 10:44pm On Nov 13, 2012
Biafran soldiers were angels they didnt kill anyone except those who deserved to die

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe Should Be Charged With War Crimes. by sleekdot(m): 10:44pm On Nov 13, 2012
Biafran soldiers were angels they didnt kill anyone except those who deserved to die

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe Should Be Charged With War Crimes. by Afam4eva(m): 8:54am On Nov 14, 2012
I wonder how much Dr BJ Imkeme was paid to spew this rubbish. I wonder why there's no record of brutality committed by Biafrans anywhere yet some people will keep pushing this lie. At least there's a record of the Asaba massacre and people who were somehow affected have come out to say what they know with evidence.

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe Should Be Charged With War Crimes. by buffny: 10:07am On Nov 14, 2012
afam4eva: I wonder how much Dr BJ Imkeme was paid to spew this rubbish. I wonder why there's no record of brutality committed by Biafrans anywhere yet some people will keep pushing this lie. At least there's a record of the Asaba massacre and people who were somehow affected have come out to say what they know with evidence.

why dont u go ask minorities wheter there was any brutality against. them. the doctor listed names of people killed ,and you say there was no record. all the minorities say that biafra commited atrocities against them and you are still here deceiving urself. if u want evidence why don u sit down with an ijaw man or an efik man and ask him if atrocities were committed against them.
Re: Chinua Achebe Should Be Charged With War Crimes. by Katsumoto: 2:32pm On Nov 14, 2012
afam4eva: I wonder how much Dr BJ Imkeme was paid to spew this rubbish. I wonder why there's no record of brutality committed by Biafrans anywhere yet some people will keep pushing this lie. At least there's a record of the Asaba massacre and people who were somehow affected have come out to say what they know with evidence.

Naturally, Igbo war crimes are 'rubbish' but those committed against Igbo must be addressed by every nation in the world.

When are you chaps going to accept the TRUTH? Why is accepting the truth so hard? Is it because it does not fit in with your victim complex?

The Efik/Ibibio people are some known for having a stiff upper lip. They are strong people who just get on with it. They are not known to be whiners.

When Zik replaced Eyo Ita as Eastern premier, how many Efik/Ibibio folks went on rampage? How many do you see opening threads on NL about that episode.

When the pogroms were committed in the 60s, Efik/Ibibio were affected in great numbers as well for the alleged offenses of Igbo sons. How many Efik/Ibibio open threads about the pogroms and the civil war?

But that's not the case with Ndigbo. You go asking for trouble and when you find it, the whining starts forever. But when your atrocities are pointed out to you, it is 'rubbish'.

They cried genocide but
when the paid American PR guy lamented that he was fooled, you lot said he was a liar. He must have been paid
when the Canadian General appointed as a war observer stated that there was no deliberate starvation, you lot said he was lying
Every book that has been written about the war has been condemned by Biafrans, most notably Dede1. Including books written by the secretary (Ntieyong Akpan) to the Biafran government
When the US blamed the Biafran high command for the starvation, you lot said the US government was biased

The question then becomes, 'why is everyone against Ndigbo (if that is what you believe)?

6 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe Should Be Charged With War Crimes. by Afam4eva(m): 2:38pm On Nov 14, 2012
Katsumoto:

Naturally, Igbo war crimes are 'rubbish' but those committed against Igbo must be addressed by every nation in the world.

When are you chaps going to accept the TRUTH? Why is accepting the truth so hard? Is it because it does not fit in with your victim complex?

The Efik/Ibibio people are some known for having a stiff upper lip. They are strong people who just get on with it. They are not known to be whiners.

When Zik replaced Eyo Ita as Eastern premier, how many Efik/Ibibio folks went on rampage? How many do you see opening threads on NL about that episode.

When the pogroms were committed in the 60s, Efik/Ibibio were affected in great numbers as well for the alleged offenses of Igbo sons. How many Efik/Ibibio open threads about the pogroms and the civil war?

But that's not the case with Ndigbo. You go asking for trouble and when you find it, the whining starts forever. But when your atrocities are pointed out to you, it is 'rubbish'.

They cried genocide but
when the paid American PR guy lamented that he was fooled, you lot said he was a liar. He must have been paid
when the Canadian General appointed as a war observer stated that there was no deliberate starvation, you lot said he was lying
Every book that has been written about the war has been condemned by Biafrans, most notably Dede1. Including books written by the secretary (Ntieyong Akpan) to the Biafran government
When the US blamed the Biafran high command for the starvation, you lot said the US government was biased

The question then becomes, 'why is everyone against Ndigbo (if that is what you believe)?

Not everyone look at issues from a tribal prism like some of you do. When ZIK replaced Eyo Ita with himself, he did that out of his own personal ambition and not because she was Efik/Ibibio and he wanted an Igbo in the position. If it was an Igbo occupying that position he would have done same and probably succeeded. Infact, the east should be applauded fro allowing a minority to mount that kind of position in a Majorly Igbo region. How many regions in Nigeria ever had a non-Major premier?

Like i said, if the eastern minority have any evidence of what was meted out to them by Biafran forced then they should provide a proof because i see this as an attempt by the Nigerian state to share whatever they're blamed with with Biafra.
Re: Chinua Achebe Should Be Charged With War Crimes. by Katsumoto: 2:47pm On Nov 14, 2012
afam4eva:
Not everyone look at issues from a tribal prism like some of you do. When ZIK replaced Eyo Ita with himself, he did that out of his own personal ambition and not because she was Efik/Ibibio and he wanted an Igbo in the position. If it was an Igbo occupying that position he would have done same and probably succeeded. Infact, the east should be applauded fro allowing a minority to mount that kind of position in a Majorly Igbo region. How many regions in Nigeria ever had a non-Major premier?

Like i said, if the eastern minority have any evidence of what was meted out to them by Biafran forced then they should provide a proof because i see this as an attempt by the Nigerian state to share whatever they're blamed with with Biafra.

Out of his own personal ambition Eyo Ita did not have personal ambition, ko? Keep deluding yourself. I am not interested in whether or if; I am interested in facts. An Igbo man wanted to be premier in the West, when he lost, he ran home and displaced the Efik man. Don't think that others are fools. Eyo Ita was 'allowed' to become premier of the East because Zik wanted to use that platform to bamboozle the Yoruba in accepting him. "See, an Efik is the premier of the East in an Igbo dominated region". But that position fails because Eyo Ita was from the Eastern region while Zik wasn't from the Western region.

Minorities don't have to present evidence because they are not whiners. They are strong people; they have moved on. They suffered for offenses committed by Ndigbo, not of their own making, and should be the ones crying. But the innocent is not crying or whining; it is one of the guilty that is crying and wailing.

Yes I am the one looking at issues from a tribal 'prism' although my position is factual but you that is denying a published personal account is not tribal, ko?

4 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe Should Be Charged With War Crimes. by Afam4eva(m): 2:59pm On Nov 14, 2012
Katsumoto:

Out of his own personal ambition Eyo Ita did not have personal ambition, ko? Keep deluding yourself. I am not interested in whether or if; I am interested in facts. An Igbo man wanted to be premier in the West, when he lost, he ran home and displaced the Efik man. Don't think that others are fools. Eyo Ita was 'allowed' to become premier of the East because Zik wanted to use that platform to bamboozle the Yoruba in accepting him. "See, an Efik is the premier of the East in an Igbo dominated region". But that position fails because Eyo Ita was from the Eastern region while Zik wasn't from the Western region.

Minorities don't have to present evidence because they are not whiners. They are strong people; they have moved on. They suffered for offenses committed by Ndigbo, not of their own making, and should be the ones crying. But the innocent is not crying or whining; it is one of the guilty that is crying and wailing.

Yes I am the one looking at issues from a tribal 'prism' although my position is factual but you that is denying a published personal account is not tribal, ko?
Why do you guys see everything from a tribal angle? If Zik had removed a fellow Igbo man, the healdines would have probably read "ZIK replaces removes Mr Uche" but when he removes an efik man without doing so because of the man's ethnicity, it will announced about how an Igbo man removed an efik man due to tribalism.

You keep calling Igbos whiners yet i've never seen a prominent Yoruba man make a speech without mentioning june 12 despite the fact that they were awarded with the presidency to correct what befell them. Is it not hypocrisy that you're guilty of what you accuse other of?

3 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe Should Be Charged With War Crimes. by Dede1(m): 3:08pm On Nov 14, 2012

This is one of the cardinal reasons I continually call for disintegration of Nigeria. Only a fool can not discern folly imbedded in the crap written by one goofy Dr BJ Imkeme. Sometimes, I wonder aloud how on earth some of these dingbats parading as doctors got their degrees.

The fool in Dr. BJ Imkeme was able to remember the names of everybody and every place in his show of shame from Dr. Njoku, Rear Admiral JEA Wey, Brigadier E Ekpo, Chief Holes, Dr Graham-Douglas, Mr. Efiong Spatts, Mr. Ekpenyong, Ikot Okpot, Attan Onoyon, Enoing, Okpo to Asang. Yet the moronic dingbat that appends DR to his\her name forgot to give the names of the commanders or the battalion or brigade or division of Biafran armed forces involved in the massacre of Efik\Ibibio\Ananng in Calabar sector.

It must be recall that the two brigades which operated in the Calaber sector of the Nigeria\Biafra civil war were commanded by the two of the Biafra’s best field commanders during the era in discussion and both hailed from Calabar sector.

In contrast to this childish joke, Biafra proffered the names of brigades and the commanders who were involved with the massacres of civilians in Asaba, Ogba\Egbema and Obosi.
Re: Chinua Achebe Should Be Charged With War Crimes. by Katsumoto: 3:11pm On Nov 14, 2012
afam4eva:
Why do you guys see everything from a tribal angle? If Zik had removed a fellow Igbo man, the healdines would have probably read "ZIK replaces removes Mr Uche" but when he removes an efik man without doing so because of the man's ethnicity, it will announced about how an Igbo man removed an efik man due to tribalism.

You keep calling Igbos whiners yet i've never seen a prominent Yoruba man make a speech without mentioning june 12 despite the fact that they were awarded with the presidency to correct what befell them. Is it not hypocrisy that you're guilty of what you accuse other of?

It is tribalism (according to Zik and his followers) when an outsider is not voted into power but not tribalism when someone from a region is removed from office to make way for another, from a majority group, who lost an election elsewhere. If Zik wanted to be premier of the East, he should have contested there and not pursue the post after losing in the West. Check out your logic.

In any case, I see you carefully avoided other points I made and focused only on the Zik one. grin grin grin
Re: Chinua Achebe Should Be Charged With War Crimes. by Dede1(m): 3:16pm On Nov 14, 2012
afam4eva:

Please do not engage anybody in a debate over Zik and Eyo Ita political saga. The truth of the matter was Zik did not have the power to remove Prof. Eyo Ita as head of government in the defunct eastern region of Nigeria.
Re: Chinua Achebe Should Be Charged With War Crimes. by Katsumoto: 3:17pm On Nov 14, 2012
Dede1:

This is one of the cardinal reasons I continually call for disintegration of Nigeria. Only a fool can not discern folly imbedded in the crap written by one goofy Dr BJ Imkeme. Sometimes, I wonder aloud how on earth some of these dingbats parading as doctors got their degrees.

The fool in Dr. BJ Imkeme was able to remember the names of everybody and every place in his show of shame from Dr. Njoku, Rear Admiral JEA Wey, Brigadier E Ekpo, Chief Holes, Dr Graham-Douglas, Mr. Efiong Spatts, Mr. Ekpenyong, Ikot Okpot, Attan Onoyon, Enoing, Okpo to Asang. Yet the moronic dingbat that appends DR to his\her name forgot to give the names of the commanders or the battalion or brigade or division of Biafran armed forces involved in the massacre of Efik\Ibibio\Ananng in Calabar sector.

It must be recall that the two brigades which operated in the Calaber sector of the Nigeria\Biafra civil war were commanded by the two of the Biafra’s best field commanders during the era in discussion and both were hailed from Calabar sector.

In contrast to this childish joke, Biafra proffered the names of brigades and the commanders who were involved with the massacres of civilians in Asaba, Ogba\Egbema and Obosi.

Biafra provided names because you folks like to cry too much.

In any case, it depends on the scale of the atrocities. It is easier to identify commanders when the presence is large but difficult when the presence is low. If a lieutenant and Colonel commit war crimes, who is more likely to be identified?

Second, Nigerian commanders would have been more careless in their atrocities while Biafran atrocities would have been more concealed to avoid an uprising. Try to put everything into perspectives. But I know you are unlikely to agree anyway. grin grin grin
Re: Chinua Achebe Should Be Charged With War Crimes. by Afam4eva(m): 3:19pm On Nov 14, 2012
Katsumoto:

In any case, it depends on the scale of the atrocities. It is easier to identify commanders when the presence is large but difficult when the presence is low. If a lieutenant and Colonel commit war crimes, who is more likely to be identified?

Second, Nigerian commanders would have been more careless in their atrocities while Biafran atrocities would have been more concealed to avoid an uprising. Try to put everything into perspectives. But I know you are unlikely to agree anyway. grin grin grin
lmao grin grin grin this is some funny sh1t...They can't give names because they're all liars.
Re: Chinua Achebe Should Be Charged With War Crimes. by Katsumoto: 3:23pm On Nov 14, 2012
afam4eva:
lmao grin grin grin this is some funny sh1t...They can't give names because they're all liars.

Don't infer.

I didn't say they can't give names.

I stated that they are not whiners.

In boarding school, some junior students remember and report every senior student who punished them while some junior students just accepted their fates moved on.
Re: Chinua Achebe Should Be Charged With War Crimes. by Afam4eva(m): 3:27pm On Nov 14, 2012
Katsumoto:

Don't infer.

I didn't say they can't give names.

I stated that they are not whiners.

In boarding school, some junior students remember and report every senior student who punished them while some junior students just accepted their fates moved on.
Nobody should accept injustice. Infact it's cowardice if you ask me. If they have names of those that perpetuated the evil they should come out. This is not about whining but about letting the evils of the past never go unresolved.

Just accept that you're wrong and move on. The way you guys try to twist history to suit your agenda is mind bugging.
Re: Chinua Achebe Should Be Charged With War Crimes. by Dede1(m): 3:27pm On Nov 14, 2012
Katsumoto:

Kats, you are a very funny chap. The above conjecture is laughable. I thought you were among the few shining lights from the opposite aisle. I guess my take on the scenario went to the left field. Anyway, I shall urge you to come to terms that no such thing happened. I can dictate a panhandler from afar. Dr BJ Imkeme wanted finance to rekindle his\her native herbal healing practice and decided that bearing falsehood against Biafra is much easier than the hassle from the banks.
Re: Chinua Achebe Should Be Charged With War Crimes. by Katsumoto: 3:37pm On Nov 14, 2012
afam4eva:
Nobody should accept injustice. Infact it's cowardice if you ask me. If they have names of those that perpetuated the evil they should come out. This is not about whining but about letting the evils of the past never go unresolved.

Just accept that you're wrong and move on. The way you guys try to twist history to suit your agenda is mind bugging.

Are you ok? I should accept I am wrong? Why not start by ascertaining whether the chap is telling the truth or not?

I suppose the non-Igbo folks in the mid-west were also lying about atrocities committed by Biafran troops?

Dede1:

Kats, you are a very funny chap. The above conjecture is laughable. I thought you were among the few shining lights from the opposite aisle. I guess my take on the scenario went to the left filed. Anyway, I shall urge you to come to terms that no such thing happened. I can dictate a panhandler from afar. Dr BJ Imkeme wanted finance to rekindle his\her native herbal healing practice and decided that bearing falsehood against Biafra is much easier than the hassle from the banks.

grin grin grin grin

Your opinion of me has been dimming since we started debating; I would have thought that by now, you have no favourable opinion of me. grin grin grin

Funny comment about finance native medicine practice. grin grin

I suppose the non-Igbo folks in the mid-west were also lying about atrocities committed by Biafran troops? What were they trying to finance?

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe Should Be Charged With War Crimes. by Afam4eva(m): 3:45pm On Nov 14, 2012
Katsumoto:

Are you ok? I should accept I am wrong? Why not start by ascertaining whether the chap is telling the truth or not?

I suppose the non-Igbo folks in the mid-west were also lying about atrocities committed by Biafran troops?
I guess you should devote yourself with the doctor and those others in the mid-west that said Biafran forces committed atrocities to find out those responsble or else the accusation is dead on arrival.
Re: Chinua Achebe Should Be Charged With War Crimes. by Dede1(m): 3:50pm On Nov 14, 2012
Katsumoto:

Your opinion of me has been dimming since we started debating; I would have thought that by now, you have no favourable opinion of me. grin grin grin

Funny comment about finance native medicine practice. grin grin

I suppose the non-Igbo folks in the mid-west were also lying about atrocities committed by Biafran troops? What were they trying to finance?

No, you are far from the truth as usual. Even if you tend to drop the ball occasionally, there is a bright spot about you.

To finance the robber plantation destroyed by the uncoordinated shelling of Nigerian army artillery batteries.
Re: Chinua Achebe Should Be Charged With War Crimes. by Katsumoto: 4:20pm On Nov 14, 2012
Dede1:

No, you are far from the truth as usual. Even if you tend to drop the ball occasionally, there is a bright spot about you.

To finance the robber plantation destroyed by the uncoordinated shelling of Nigerian army artillery batteries.

grin grin grin grin grin

Thanks
Re: Chinua Achebe Should Be Charged With War Crimes. by PhysicsQED(m): 5:05pm On Nov 14, 2012
afam4eva:
I guess you should devote yourself with the doctor and those others in the mid-west that said Biafran forces committed atrocities to find out those responsble or else the accusation is dead on arrival.

After the federal recapture of the Midwest, killings occurred in more places than just at Asaba. Are you actually claiming that unless those that massacred Mid-west Igbos in places other than Asaba are identified by the name of the unit and its highest ranking officer, that the killings didn't actually happen? This is just terrible reasoning any way you look at it.

I don't know how people can think every soldier in every war who commits an atrocity can be identified by civilians. That's a completely ridiculous claim and point of view. Anyway, the vast majority of people, whether Igbo or non-Igbo, are not callous enough to dismiss and just reject the testimony of people from some Delta Igbo areas who come forward today with their accounts of what happened back then without such information, so the lack of identification of commanding officers and units never seems to matter. But in the case of non-Igbo Midwesterners, certain people on the internet and in real life seem unable to come to grips with reality and start imagining that they can just dismiss what happened by dismissing the source or claiming that those who were attacked or killed should have kept a directory or index of the names and units of the Biafran soldiers around them.

By the way, on the Midwest, it is naive to assume that Nigerian Midwesterners were the only ones who witnessed the Biafran atrocities that occurred. In the case of the Biafran atrocities in the Midwest, we have at least one confirmation from a foreigner of one of the atrocities (there were others still besides the one that this foreigner mentions), yet people still want to delude themselves about what really happened. Anyway, when brainwashed people are confronted with the truth, it will probably just be dismissed as being part of some anti-Biafran conspiracy no matter where it's coming from.

4 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe Should Be Charged With War Crimes. by sleekdot(m): 5:25pm On Nov 14, 2012
Nowa Omogui opinion on the midwest invasion is there in the open but we have been told that Nowa is also lying

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fashola Vows To Deal With Owner Of Stored Fire Crackers / Supreme Court Judges Make Judgement Base On Thier Personality Not Only Law: CNN / Buhari Cannot Talk, We Are Becoming Confused – Presidency Confesses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.