Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,927 members, 7,821,247 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:22 AM

Anti-Same Sex Marriage Bill Scales Second Reading In House Of Reps - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Anti-Same Sex Marriage Bill Scales Second Reading In House Of Reps (9659 Views)

Bisi Alimi Slams Senators Behind Anti Same Sex Bill (Photo) / Nigerian Peace Corps Bill Scales Second Reading / Bill Seeking To Unban Use Of Tinted-Glass Pass Second Reading In Senate. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anti-Same Sex Marriage Bill Scales Second Reading In House Of Reps by Nobody: 10:19pm On Nov 13, 2012
A bill for an Act to prohibit marriage or civil union entered into between persons of same sex and solemnisation of same on Tuesday passed through the second reading in the House of Representatives.

The bill, which passed without a dissenting voice, had previously been passed by the senate.

Speaking on the bill, lawmakers said the notion of same sex marriage is an alien culture that must be preventing from taking root in Nigeria.

Leading the debate on the bill, Mulikat Akande-Adeola (PDP-Oyo), said the proposed legislation would ensure that the institution of marriage is respected.

Ms Akande-Adeola, who is the Leader of the House, said that the bill would also protect and preserve the Nigerian culture.

She said: “This same sex marriage is alien to our culture and not ordained by God; same sex or gender marriage is completely alien to our society and culture.

“This practice has no place in our culture, religion, Nigeria or anywhere in Africa, it is immorality and debasement of our culture, we condemn it in totality.”

Adams Jagaba (PDP-Kaduna) aligned himself with the submission of the Majority Leader and said no religion supports gay marriage.
“We are a cultured people; we cannot carry everything from other culture,” he declared.

Abike Dabiri-Erewa (ACN-Lagos), who also supported the bill, said the solemnisation of same sex marriage had no place in Nigerian culture.
Nnenna Ukeje (PDP-Abia) condemned gay marriage.

According to her, marriage is a union that should be blessed by God.

She said that marriage between same sex “diminishes the symbol of what we are and procreation.”

Minority Leader, Femi Gbajabiamila (ACN-Lagos), who also spoke against marriage between the same sex, described the act as immoral.

“In this marriage, the third party is affected, these people go ahead and adopt children, thereby affecting the child, and in the process the child becomes dysfunctional.

“We are not seeking to promote a dysfunctional society,” he said.

Aminu Suleiman (PDP-Kano) praised the Senate for taking the initiative in rejecting gay marriage in Nigeria.

There was no dissenting voice and the bill passed through second reading after being put to vote by the Speaker of the House, Aminu Tambuwal.
Mr Tambuwal subsequently referred it to the Committee of the Whole House for consideration.

The Senate had in November 2011 passed a bill banning same sex marriages in the country.

Source

5 Likes

Re: Anti-Same Sex Marriage Bill Scales Second Reading In House Of Reps by Nobody: 10:26pm On Nov 13, 2012
Here we go again. grin

My view: It all depends on what the objective of this bill is. If it is simply to ban same-sex marriage, all well and good; however if it is to discourage the PRACTICE of homosexuality, it has failed from the beginning. Moral issues cannot be resolved by simply passing a law-softer measures are required if the MINDSET behind homosexuality is to be tackled. It's not just about passing a law, because ultimately people will do whatever the hell they wanna do.

End of story.

3 Likes

Re: Anti-Same Sex Marriage Bill Scales Second Reading In House Of Reps by taharqa: 10:46pm On Nov 13, 2012
Can someone tell these House of Reps Chaps to give accelerated hearing and passage to the PIB bill 1st. Shee they were supposed to start the 2nd Reading this week?... Homosexuality law, which I support, can then come later.

Get your Damn PRIORITIES Right!

#passThePIBbill NOW

2 Likes

Re: Anti-Same Sex Marriage Bill Scales Second Reading In House Of Reps by Nobody: 11:25pm On Nov 13, 2012
taharqa: Can someone tell these House of Reps Chaps to give accelerated hearing and passage to the PIB bill 1st. Shee they were supposed to start the 2nd Reading this week?... Homosexuality law, which I support, can then come later.

#passThePIBbill NOW

You know, I'm also tempted to believe that the intention behind this bill may be just to assuage the Nigerian public by passing a bill that could be considered "acceptable" to the majority of Nigerians, while several other, more crucial bills, such as the PIB you mentioned, remain unattended to.

I still maintain my stance: passing this bill will not, by itself, stop the practice of homosexuality. Rather it will create a flourishing underground market.

1 Like

Re: Anti-Same Sex Marriage Bill Scales Second Reading In House Of Reps by IleIfe2(m): 5:15am On Nov 14, 2012
HNosegbe:

Source

Source

Yeah!!!!!! finally got it!!!
Re: Anti-Same Sex Marriage Bill Scales Second Reading In House Of Reps by Super1759: 7:22am On Nov 14, 2012
They should stop bringing this into bill. We have better things choking NIGERIA.
Where is the fuel subsidy money?
How far with lawal and farouk saga?
How far with boko haram?
Rice and garri are still high in price
I expect them to raise the case of sharp increase of jets in the country and the economics annihilation.
Even juju and devil sabi say same-sex is bad. Next topic please

4 Likes

Re: Anti-Same Sex Marriage Bill Scales Second Reading In House Of Reps by Nobody: 8:19am On Nov 14, 2012
Why welcomes deliberation on issues that won't see the light of the day?
Re: Anti-Same Sex Marriage Bill Scales Second Reading In House Of Reps by Okijajuju1(m): 8:20am On Nov 14, 2012
How does same sex marriage affect the price of Garri in the Market?! Or the corruption in Nigeria?! Or the insecurity in NIGERIA?!

Are faggo`ts the problem with this country?! Because if they are, please add a kill clause to it..

This bill is a waste of time.. I am not a f`aggot, so why should I be bothered about F`aggots?!

Allow them to f`uck whosoever they want to f`uck..

These Lawmakers should first pass a bill slashing their salaries and renumerations by atleast 65% first.. 500,000 Nigerian Fagg`ots in an orgey together at the same time will not affect the economy or value of the Naira..

This bill is a waste of time.. Homosexuality will never be smiled upon by Africans wether its inthe Law or not.. And sending a Homo to Jail is like sending a Suicide Bomber to Paradise with 72 Virgins..

15 Likes

Re: Anti-Same Sex Marriage Bill Scales Second Reading In House Of Reps by Elueme: 8:21am On Nov 14, 2012
This is one of the responsible moves I will credit this 7th Assembly with.. Lesbianism or gay is alien to us and should not be made a law.. There are enough abominations in our land, we should not add to our woes.
Re: Anti-Same Sex Marriage Bill Scales Second Reading In House Of Reps by Nobody: 8:25am On Nov 14, 2012
Okija_juju: This bill is a waste of time.. Homosexuality will never be smiled upon by Africans wether its inthe Law or not.. And sending a Homo to Jail is like sending a Suicide Bomber to Paradise with 72 Virgins.. [/b]

You know, this is another question I've asked myself a dozen times. If a homo is sent to jail for being a homo, will he be sent to a male or female prison? undecided

6 Likes

Re: Anti-Same Sex Marriage Bill Scales Second Reading In House Of Reps by Nobody: 8:26am On Nov 14, 2012
MmmmmmhHhhh. All those gays for ma area. better start having a second thought about what they really want inside their a$$holes, cuz wen tHat bill is passed into law, any homo I lay my hands on,........................................ The rest is better left unsaid. Disgusting set of sodomites!

1 Like

Re: Anti-Same Sex Marriage Bill Scales Second Reading In House Of Reps by AizekB(m): 8:27am On Nov 14, 2012
Not just passing the bill into law but, making a jail term of like 25 years to whoever. Rubbish the wickedness of mankind toto no make sense again na to the yansh each other stupid people. Woe to whoever the scripture is fulfilled
Re: Anti-Same Sex Marriage Bill Scales Second Reading In House Of Reps by Nobody: 8:34am On Nov 14, 2012
We should not be passing PIB laws while our culture is been messed up and abominations takes over our land.

I still stand that all Gays be killed, WTF can make a man use him pric*k to de insert into another mans anu*s. Wot a shame and wot an abomination.

We have a lot of abominations going on in Nigeria and we can't afford to add more abomination.

2 Likes

Re: Anti-Same Sex Marriage Bill Scales Second Reading In House Of Reps by kollybay4u: 8:35am On Nov 14, 2012
First time i see Nigeria kicking against foreign culture. After all , were are not USA or Italy where those atrocities are been practised. Good move on this...
Re: Anti-Same Sex Marriage Bill Scales Second Reading In House Of Reps by Okijajuju1(m): 8:37am On Nov 14, 2012
gboss4sure: We should not be passing PIB laws while our culture is been messed up and abominations takes over our land.

I still stand that all Gays be killed, WTF can make a man use him pric*k to de insert into another mans anu*s. Wot a shame and wot an abomination.

We have a lot of abominations going on in Nigeria and we can't afford to add more abomination.

How has a homosexual affected you personally?!

6 Likes

Re: Anti-Same Sex Marriage Bill Scales Second Reading In House Of Reps by Okijajuju1(m): 8:39am On Nov 14, 2012
kollybay4u: First time i see Nigeria kicking against foreign culture. After all , were are not USA or Italy where those atrocities are been practised. Good move on this...

Homosexuality has nothing to do with tribe, color, religion or culture.. Its just a sexual preference of a rather large suppressed group..

Should we also ban 'heamaphrodites as well?!

Nigerians should learn to focus on whats more important to them.. The west that is practicing these acts are still way more advanced and light years ahead of us..
Re: Anti-Same Sex Marriage Bill Scales Second Reading In House Of Reps by hagma37yahoocom: 8:39am On Nov 14, 2012
Anal sex wit ur wifey is prohibited in islam talkless of same sex let dem pass the bill shap shap before our country become nasty dont be surprise that large % of laddies do it now after takin that cough syrup (benilin)
Re: Anti-Same Sex Marriage Bill Scales Second Reading In House Of Reps by TippyTop(m): 8:44am On Nov 14, 2012
dirtymoney: MmmmmmhHhhh. All those gays for ma area. better start having a second thought about what they really want inside their a$$holes, cuz wen tHat bill is passed into law, any homo I lay my hands on

Try having some rational arguments because the bolded implies you're a closet homosexual. You talk like a scum.

I knew you'd be rushing out to get the dictionary so I thought I'd help you out.

Meaning of Scum (noun)
a low, worthless, or evil person.
Re: Anti-Same Sex Marriage Bill Scales Second Reading In House Of Reps by mmmustapha(m): 8:45am On Nov 14, 2012
I hate to hear dis same sex marriage, most we follow anything american devils, anti christ domtseww in my area if we knw dat you r a Gay or lesbian, we will stone you to death, they brought bad omen 2 us.
Re: Anti-Same Sex Marriage Bill Scales Second Reading In House Of Reps by BetaThings: 8:50am On Nov 14, 2012
Okija_juju:

How has a homosexual affected you personally?!
Does an armed robber need to come to your house first before you support any move to rid your community of it?

4 Likes

Re: Anti-Same Sex Marriage Bill Scales Second Reading In House Of Reps by Amazondepth(m): 8:51am On Nov 14, 2012
Many a profound problem exists in dis enclave requiring legislation with d speed and vigour dis bill is enjoying.d truth b told homosexuality exists here,even in dat National Assembly of hypocrites.it however is politically,culturally unacceptable in Nigeria today as it was even in d west many centuries back.Kudos to d National assembly on this one anyway.many years from today,these issues will b revisited by d more liberal and profane world dat will exist then wether we like it or not.if u see wat transpires in single sex schools,u will shudder in disbelief and weep.doomsday is postponed.for now anyway legilations on issues of such moral inclination is besides d point.our problem now na corruption period.
Re: Anti-Same Sex Marriage Bill Scales Second Reading In House Of Reps by victorD3: 8:53am On Nov 14, 2012
Shit! Just when I wanted Dangote to marry me cheesy
Re: Anti-Same Sex Marriage Bill Scales Second Reading In House Of Reps by ochallo: 8:54am On Nov 14, 2012
gboss4sure: We should not be passing PIB laws while our culture is been messed up and abominations takes over our land.

The truth is that we have no culture or moral, what we have is hypocrisy. If Farouk Lawan is still walking around Nigeria free, and then you want to put 2 men who have slept with each other in jail for 14 years, then we are all fools.

The sin of homosexuality is the same as the sin of fornication, adultery , so why are they not creating sanctions for that, they are simply trying to make themselves look moral and cultural by adopting something that only affects a minority.

also homosexuality is not imported and it would never be, it is as old as man, right from the bible days, we need to kill the fire burning us and stop chasing rat. This is however a conspiracy to witchhunt some gay senators and also to cut foreign aid to the country thereby rendering the whole GEJ administration useless.
Re: Anti-Same Sex Marriage Bill Scales Second Reading In House Of Reps by Myself2(m): 8:54am On Nov 14, 2012
House of Reps,rogues,rascals lipsrsealed

They're on point on this though
Re: Anti-Same Sex Marriage Bill Scales Second Reading In House Of Reps by slimyem: 8:54am On Nov 14, 2012
Mtcheeew.....
Useless reps!!
This is what my people will describe as...
Won fi ete sile,won n' pa lapalapa(they ignore leprousy and start treating ringworm).
Of what use is anti-same sex marriage bill to ordinary Nigerians?
Do h0m0sexuals pose any security threat to the nation?
Do they affect the price of petroleum or staple food?
Nonsense!!
My people,shey na like this we go dey dey?
Re: Anti-Same Sex Marriage Bill Scales Second Reading In House Of Reps by BetaThings: 9:00am On Nov 14, 2012
HNosegbe:

You know, this is another question I've asked myself a dozen times. If a homo is sent to jail for being a homo, will he be sent to a male or female prison? undecided
They should be in prison hospital until they get well

1 Like

Re: Anti-Same Sex Marriage Bill Scales Second Reading In House Of Reps by BetaThings: 9:04am On Nov 14, 2012
Tippy Top:

Try having some rational arguments because the bolded implies you're a closet homosexual. You talk like a scum.

I knew you'd be rushing out to get the dictionary so I thought I'd help you out.

Meaning of Scum (noun)
Silly argument, so those guys lynching armed robbers are closet armed robbers
Or a man who shoots his daughter's rapist is a closet rapist?
Let us even say he is a closet fa.go.t, he is trying to deal with and get a cure rather than say it is normal

1 Like

Re: Anti-Same Sex Marriage Bill Scales Second Reading In House Of Reps by BetaThings: 9:04am On Nov 14, 2012
slimyem: Mtcheeew.....
Useless reps!!
This is what my people will describe as...
Won fi ete sile,won n' pa lapalapa(they ignore leprousy and start treating ringworm).
Of what use is anti-same sex marriage bill to ordinary Nigerians?
Do h0m0sexuals pose any security threat to the nation?
Do they affect the price of petroleum or staple food?
Nonsense!!
My people,shey na like this we go dey dey?
Don't worry - let us pass this first
then mount pressure on them on other issues

2 Likes

Re: Anti-Same Sex Marriage Bill Scales Second Reading In House Of Reps by Okijajuju1(m): 9:20am On Nov 14, 2012
BetaThings:
Does an armed robber need to come to your house first before you support any move to rid your community of it?

NA WAH FOR SOME PEOPLE RESONING SHA?!

So a Homosexual is now the same thing as an Armed robber?!

Do Homosexuals steal your a`sshole or v!rginas?!

Do they violate your space in anyway?!

Do their f`ucking fellow Homos affect you in anyway?!

If two gays kiss tomorrow in front of you, how does it affect you directly or indirectly?!

You no get talk my pikin, oya go play bicycle for street with your mate.. angry

6 Likes

Re: Anti-Same Sex Marriage Bill Scales Second Reading In House Of Reps by Okijajuju1(m): 9:24am On Nov 14, 2012
ochallo:

The truth is that we have no culture or moral, what we have is hypocrisy. If Farouk Lawan is still walking around Nigeria free, and then you want to put 2 men who have slept with each other in jail for 14 years, then we are all fools.

If I was a homo, I would totally kiss you for this statement... This homo issue is something that should have been ignored.. Farouk is one of the people who will vote on this Bill... IMAGINE That!!

2 Likes

Re: Anti-Same Sex Marriage Bill Scales Second Reading In House Of Reps by Nobody: 9:33am On Nov 14, 2012
Tippy Top:

Meaning of Scum (noun)
I always say this... I wisH the e-world was tHe real world. Where ωε̲̣̣̣̥ see people face τ̅☺ face. Most of this names-calling would have been eliminated. Bro, I have been aFfected indirectly by their nefarious activities many times, that's why I developed serious hate for them. A̶̲̥̅♍ not GAY. I can NEVER be. And insulting people  public forums like this, is not really adviceable. Pls let's try and be civilised.

2 Likes

Re: Anti-Same Sex Marriage Bill Scales Second Reading In House Of Reps by BetaThings: 9:33am On Nov 14, 2012
taharqa: Can someone tell these House of Reps Chaps to give accelerated hearing and passage to the PIB bill 1st. Shee they were supposed to start the 2nd Reading this week?... Homosexuality law, which I support, can then come later.

#passThePIBbill NOW
There are different committees
If the committee on same-s.ex marriage is ready, they should be allowed to present their report

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

President Muhammadu Buhari, Past And Present (in Pictures) / Ibb Endorses Ribadu For President / Attack On Awolowo Family: Count Me Out -tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.