Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,831 members, 7,820,913 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:25 AM

Breaking News!Ghana Disqualified Over Failed Drugs Tests-Nigeria On To Semis - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Breaking News!Ghana Disqualified Over Failed Drugs Tests-Nigeria On To Semis (4114 Views)

Could Nigeria Have Made It To The Semis If They Qualified? / Spain Vs Germany: [1 - 0] @ World Cup 2010 Semis / Netherlands Vs Uruguay: [3 - 2] @ World Cup 2010 Semis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Breaking News!Ghana Disqualified Over Failed Drugs Tests-Nigeria On To Semis by Iman3(m): 2:25pm On Feb 04, 2008
www.vanguardsportsngr.com/football/article399419

Timothy Adeshina
Vanguard

Yesterday saw the Ghanaian national football team,the Black Stars of Ghana,triumph over their traditional rivals,the Super Eagles of Nigeria in a pulsating 2-1 victory.Down to ten men,after the sending off their Captain John Mensah,the Black Stars managed to grab a late goal prompting wild celebrations throughout Ghana.

The celebrations might be short lived though.This is because reliable sources have informed this newspaper about a shocking development post-match.Routine drug tests carried out post-match on 2 members of the Ghanaian team came out positive.

The 2 players involved remain unnamed but it is rumored one is France based while the other plays for a top 4 club in England.The drug tests,carried out within hours after the match against Nigeria,tested positive for certain prohibited substances including nandrolone and anabolic steroids.

The fallout from this shocking development promises to be dramatic.Until recently,the punishment for such failed tests were restricted to the respective players involved.The players received a ban while their team's results were left unaffected.However,following the new FIFA Directive concluded at the Lausanne Conference in December 2007,cases of failed drug tests will attract punitive measures in respect of the affected team,not just the erring players.

The recommended measure by FIFA is expulsion from the competition.This new but controversial was adopted by FIFA in a bid to adopt a more hardline approach to the perceived plague of doping in sports.

The implications for Ghana,with this new measure,are dire.Ghana faces having its result against Nigeria overturned with Nigeria taking its place at the Semi-Final.The Ghanaians are expected to vigorously protest their innocence but their chances of staying in the competition are very slim say our sources.

Also,our sources tell us that NFA officials are expected to lead a strong delegation to CAF to insist that the letter of the law is followed.There have been threats to take the case to FIFA if CAF keeps dragging its foot due to its unwillingness to throw out the hosts in such manner,however,it has little choice as Nigeria has a watertight case due to FIFA's new Directive.

The CAF is expected to announce its decision this evening after deliberations in an emergency meeting last night.Our sources tell us that they are expected to expel Ghana from the competition and allow Nigeria to replace Ghana in the Semi-Final.If true,it will be the first case of its kind as this measure has never been used before .We will keep you posted of any new information in what promises to be a day of developments of seismic proportions.

1 Like

Re: Breaking News!Ghana Disqualified Over Failed Drugs Tests-Nigeria On To Semis by Chacal: 2:49pm On Feb 04, 2008
@ I-man,

WHITE ELEPHANT LIES.
I heard the same thang when ITALY despatched NIGERIA at USA 94.
Re: Breaking News!Ghana Disqualified Over Failed Drugs Tests-Nigeria On To Semis by Iman3(m): 2:55pm On Feb 04, 2008
Back then,such rumors never made it into the media.The fact that this made it into the media gives it some credibility.

Also,it alludes to some new FIFA Directive that was passed recently.Maybe the regulations have changed.
Re: Breaking News!Ghana Disqualified Over Failed Drugs Tests-Nigeria On To Semis by McOmo(m): 2:56pm On Feb 04, 2008
@I-man

tell it to the marines !  grin

not even when the article code ends with[b] 419[/b]  cool

@Chacal

was it when Italy dispatched us alone ? remember when Maradona and and his cohorts dazzled our super eagles ?  embarassed
Re: Breaking News!Ghana Disqualified Over Failed Drugs Tests-Nigeria On To Semis by folahann(m): 3:01pm On Feb 04, 2008
Someone is high on drugs on this forum
Re: Breaking News!Ghana Disqualified Over Failed Drugs Tests-Nigeria On To Semis by otokx(m): 3:22pm On Feb 04, 2008
Fallacy
Re: Breaking News!Ghana Disqualified Over Failed Drugs Tests-Nigeria On To Semis by spora(m): 3:27pm On Feb 04, 2008
Update:

http://www.bbcsports.co.uk/newsid=234543

That Ghana has been disqualified over failed drugs test in the ongoing African Cup of Nation taking place in Ghana, is no longer news. Report reaching BBC sport table this afternoon indicates that a certain Nigerian named I-man (surname withheld) has been arrested in connection with the drugs test. Mr. I-man was arrested this morning at his hide-out in North London. During interogation, I-man spilled the bean about his being a notorious drug baron with over 10years on the job experience.

I-man, succumbing to the firepower of police torture, confessed that he was initiated to the business when things became very difficult for him having lost his cart-pushing job. Thanks to drug-peddling job, he is now a proud owner of a duplex in East London. Apart from this, he is able to take care of the responsiblities of sending his brothers and sisters to school in his native country, Nigeria.

If found guilty, I-man is expected to spend the next ten years behind bar.
Re: Breaking News!Ghana Disqualified Over Failed Drugs Tests-Nigeria On To Semis by Iman3(m): 3:53pm On Feb 04, 2008
@Spora

You think say this news na joke.Very soon,I will be having the last laugh.
Re: Breaking News!Ghana Disqualified Over Failed Drugs Tests-Nigeria On To Semis by folahann(m): 4:04pm On Feb 04, 2008
Let's get serious; your link doesn't exist, that can't possibly be true.
I'm in Ghana you know so, I would have heard that news long before you
Re: Breaking News!Ghana Disqualified Over Failed Drugs Tests-Nigeria On To Semis by fromuk(m): 4:10pm On Feb 04, 2008
Hahahaha if wishes were horses undecided undecided
Re: Breaking News!Ghana Disqualified Over Failed Drugs Tests-Nigeria On To Semis by akinalabi(m): 4:38pm On Feb 04, 2008
Even if they were caught, results can't be overturned
in football.
Re: Breaking News!Ghana Disqualified Over Failed Drugs Tests-Nigeria On To Semis by mukina2: 7:47pm On Feb 04, 2008
I -man you nor well
Re: Breaking News!Ghana Disqualified Over Failed Drugs Tests-Nigeria On To Semis by 4Him(m): 7:49pm On Feb 04, 2008
if this is true then Mali shld take our place. We have no business going to the SFs.
Re: Breaking News!Ghana Disqualified Over Failed Drugs Tests-Nigeria On To Semis by folahann(m): 7:52pm On Feb 04, 2008
@Mukina20
That is how you laugh? then you need to see a doctor
Re: Breaking News!Ghana Disqualified Over Failed Drugs Tests-Nigeria On To Semis by dayokanu(m): 9:48pm On Feb 04, 2008
Hymen, (Apologies to jackal) Stay off drugs or dont post in the afternoon. The high sun would have done some damage to your already malfunctioning grey matter.
Re: Breaking News!Ghana Disqualified Over Failed Drugs Tests-Nigeria On To Semis by yek: 3:43pm On Feb 05, 2008
yeah it's true
Ghana has been banned . . .
and Nigeria will automatically be given 3 consecutive world cups. . .
. . .true story . . .cross my heart. . .
Blatter told me. . .
yeah. . . he did. . .
Re: Breaking News!Ghana Disqualified Over Failed Drugs Tests-Nigeria On To Semis by folahann(m): 3:49pm On Feb 05, 2008
They are becoming so many on this forum. The drug addicts
Re: Breaking News!Ghana Disqualified Over Failed Drugs Tests-Nigeria On To Semis by Nobody: 4:35pm On Feb 05, 2008
folahann:

They are becoming so many on this forum. The drug addicts
And here am i looking for some crack for some weeks, all d crack addicts have refused to give me their source, and they are consistently flying high in some dreams daily
Re: Breaking News!Ghana Disqualified Over Failed Drugs Tests-Nigeria On To Semis by Iman3(m): 10:12pm On Feb 05, 2008
Just exercise some patience.The news will soon be out.

Nigeria is going to play Cameroun this Thursday. cool
Re: Breaking News!Ghana Disqualified Over Failed Drugs Tests-Nigeria On To Semis by camegirl(f): 11:29pm On Feb 05, 2008
http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/SportsArchive/artikel.php?ID=138682

we really have to trash ghana on thursday to prove we are still cameroonians.
no body believe we were gonna go this far.the lions will always remain a lion
Re: Breaking News!Ghana Disqualified Over Failed Drugs Tests-Nigeria On To Semis by Smi1(m): 7:43pm On Jan 30, 2010
Absolutely fallacy!!!
Re: Breaking News!Ghana Disqualified Over Failed Drugs Tests-Nigeria On To Semis by bingbagbo(m): 7:19am On Nov 15, 2014
lol

(1) (Reply)

Ejide Out For 2 Weeks! / 20+ Funny Photo Of Manny Pacquiao Vs Floyd Mayweather Battle / Yakubu Booed At Kanu's Testimonial

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.