Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,191 members, 7,953,683 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 11:08 PM

Fashola Tasks LCCI On Okada Riders Business Plan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Tasks LCCI On Okada Riders Business Plan (7469 Views)

Fayose Riding On "Okada" To Inaugurate The New House Of Assembly [Photo] / APC Tasks Jonathan On Enugu’s Coal, 2nd Niger Bridge, Others / Gridlock In Lagos As Tricycle, Okada Riders Endorse Jonathan 0 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola Tasks LCCI On Okada Riders Business Plan by fatdon2(m): 10:30am On Nov 14, 2012
Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State has urged the Lagos Chamber of Commerce and Industry (LCCI) to urgently design a new business plan that would engage commercial motorcycle operators popularly called Okada riders who were recently restricted from plying 475 roads in the state.

Fashola made the appeal at the weekend at celebration of the 2012 Lagos State day and the closing ceremony of the 2012 Lagos State Trade Fair and Exhibition held at the Tafawa Balewa Square, (TBS), Lagos.

Fashola said that this is the only way the chamber can partner with the state government on the new road traffic law signed into law on August 2nd in the state.

According to the governor, who was represented by his deputy, Mrs. Adejoke Orelope-Adefulire, “The reason why we seek the partnership of LCCI is that the present administration in Lagos State knows the importance of the chamber as the umbrella body for business in the country, especially Lagos state.”

“And because of this, LCCI is one body that is in a better position to help the state government in developing a sustainable business plan that would accommodate all the okada operators who by virtue of the new law may not be able to engage in the business again.

“We need a sustainable business plan for these residents of the state. This is because okada is not a sustainable means of transportation for any state, especially Lagos State, which has a megacity status.”

“Before the restriction of okada in the state, the number of orphans, widows and widowers was increasing daily, and hospitals in the state were being congested with victims of okada accidents.

The governor emphasised that since the restriction, the state has recorded a drastic reduction in the number of accidents and crime across the state.

“The state government is ready to partner with the chamber to come up with the right business strategy plan for these operators,” he added that the state government’s doors are always open for the plan from the LCCI.

Fashola assured residents of the state that the government will always be responsive government that would ensure that a new business strategy is designed for them.

On the choice of the venue, the governor assured business operators that after the completion of the ongoing Lekki Free Trade Zone, the state would be moving every trade fair and exhibition to that axis of the state, saying “It would serve as a permanent site for trade fair and exhibition in the state for both local and international business organisation.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/11/traffic-law-fashola-tasks-lcci-on-new-business-plan-for-okada-riders/
Re: Fashola Tasks LCCI On Okada Riders Business Plan by logo77: 10:39am On Nov 14, 2012
shocked shocked Our leaders !

They like putting the cart b-4 the horse......Always.

He should have thought of this before sacking the okada riders off the road. :

shocked shocked

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Tasks LCCI On Okada Riders Business Plan by fatdon2(m): 2:34pm On Nov 14, 2012
logo77: shocked shocked Our leaders !

They like putting the cart b-4 the horse.

He should have thought of this before sacking the okada riders off the road. shocked shocked
No mind the mumu gov.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Tasks LCCI On Okada Riders Business Plan by Kx: 2:41pm On Nov 14, 2012
Really?
I hope someday somebody will not admit his "hasty" ban decision.
Re: Fashola Tasks LCCI On Okada Riders Business Plan by DJDOLA(m): 3:13pm On Nov 14, 2012
So what about d okada dat have been siezed and destroy?
Re: Fashola Tasks LCCI On Okada Riders Business Plan by Jyde89: 3:14pm On Nov 14, 2012
So you can ban them again abi, my friend fix ya mess.... Bloody idiat.
Re: Fashola Tasks LCCI On Okada Riders Business Plan by GARRIx7(m): 3:23pm On Nov 14, 2012

He should have thought of this before sacking the okada riders off the road. shocked shocked

The Ban is in order......

That the Govt is concerned about the welfare of the Ex-Okada men doesn't mean the ban was a wrong....

The Govt cannot employ them all, hence the need for private sector partnership.....

1 Like

Re: Fashola Tasks LCCI On Okada Riders Business Plan by ochukoccna: 3:27pm On Nov 14, 2012
fatdon2: No mind the mumu gov.
Free the guy jo!
At least the man is looking for how to help out the okada riders even if he put the cart before the horse
Like GARRI(x7) said,
GARRI (x7):

The Ban is in order...... cool cool cool
, In this days of BH, visualize what those aboki riders can do if they pledge allegiance to terrorism cool cool
Re: Fashola Tasks LCCI On Okada Riders Business Plan by Afam4eva(m): 3:31pm On Nov 14, 2012
This is a case of putting the cart before the horse. Shouldn't he have done this before banning okadas? Sorry Fashola but some bike men have already bought the guns that they will use to start their new business.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Tasks LCCI On Okada Riders Business Plan by olivertwist: 3:41pm On Nov 14, 2012
What Gov. Fashola has done is to separate the horse from the cart in order to save the horse. If not for Fashola's decision, btw August & now, thousands of children would have become orphans, some would have lost their husbands,wives,bread-winners etc. These decision is about Life & Death not business as usual.

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Tasks LCCI On Okada Riders Business Plan by fatdon1(m): 3:44pm On Nov 14, 2012
ochukoccna:
Free the guy jo!
At least the man is looking for how to help out the okada riders even if he put the cart before the horse
Like GARRI(x7) said, , In this days of BH, visualize what those aboki riders can do if they pledge allegiance to terrorism cool cool
Fashola thinks he is an island.
Robbery incident in Lagos is on
the increase since this ban. By
December, I hope lagosians will
be able to sleep with their eyes
closed. Indeed, this medicine after death.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Tasks LCCI On Okada Riders Business Plan by Ndoz(m): 3:45pm On Nov 14, 2012
Eko oni Baje
Re: Fashola Tasks LCCI On Okada Riders Business Plan by GARRIx7(m): 3:48pm On Nov 14, 2012
ochukoccna:
Free the guy jo!
Like GARRI(x7) said, , In this days of BH, visualize what those aboki riders can do if they pledge allegiance to terrorism cool cool

In my neighborhood, I know abt 4 Abokis who are taking care of themselves as well as their families (in the north) by doing legitimate business (e.g. as guards, shoemakers etc...) If there is no room for Okada in Lagos, move to Edo or other Okada-friendly states

or

better still, change professions...
Re: Fashola Tasks LCCI On Okada Riders Business Plan by OkwaIfugo(m): 4:02pm On Nov 14, 2012
medicine after death.
gush
Re: Fashola Tasks LCCI On Okada Riders Business Plan by olivertwist: 4:02pm On Nov 14, 2012
afam4eva: This is a case of putting the cart before the horse. Shouldn't he have done this before banning okadas? Sorry Fashola but some bike men have already bought the guns that they will use to start their new business.

What about the Okada riders that are in hospitals with both their legs & arms amputated? Wont you advice them to get a gun as well? According to your thinking, all sacked bankers, civil servants,engineers etc & unemployed graduates should get a gun coz they were sacked or unemployed. Is that what you will do if you lose your job i.e get a gun? Anyway, the NPF are waiting for all of you.

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Tasks LCCI On Okada Riders Business Plan by Biggoozz: 4:08pm On Nov 14, 2012

That may be true, but considering the rumor that Boko Haram was already buying bykes and sending their members as spies to survey the state, the "Cart-before-the-horse" decision could be laudable.

Now, cam we get off the blame game and start thinking? I eat from creativity, my brain has been busy since that ban on finding ways to create alternative means of income for those guys and make some good money. Any smart person should know that BRF's government is under strong criticism now, I don't think the usual bureaucratic processes of proposing deal to the government may apply to this opportunity.

My questions are:
What problems are currently the headaches of LSG which need lots of semi skilled labour to tackle?
What other acceptable means of transportation acceptable to BRF's mega city standard can we develop (this may include enhancing existing ones)

I had while the ban was brewing, developed a smart strategy and moblised Honda Manufacturing, Boxer Motorcycle manufacturers, MOALS (Lagos State-wide Okada association) to promote a training that will civilize Okada operators in the state, as well as other key stakeholders concerned but politics didnt let them agree to organise, now they are all big losers.

C'mon, I need creative guys here!

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Tasks LCCI On Okada Riders Business Plan by ochallo: 4:44pm On Nov 14, 2012
olivertwist:

What about the Okada riders that are in hospitals with both their legs & arms amputated? Wont you advice them to get a gun as well? According to your thinking, all sacked bankers, civil servants,engineers etc & unemployed graduates should get a gun coz they were sacked or unemployed. Is that what you will do if you lose your job i.e get a gun? Anyway, the NPF are waiting for all of you.

you are totally clueless, if you live in lagos, you would know that there is an increase in crime rates since the ban , and when the masses are unemployed, illegal/ fradulent businesses thrive, that is the meaning of " getting a gun".
Re: Fashola Tasks LCCI On Okada Riders Business Plan by ochallo: 4:48pm On Nov 14, 2012
Biggoozz:

That may be true, but considering the rumor that Boko Haram was already buying bykes and sending their members as spies to survey the state, the "Cart-before-the-horse" decision could be laudable.

boko haram does not need to buy bikes and survey the street, they bomb simple, carry bomb and go to the secretariat and bomb , you dont need survey, boko haram is not united nations. and even if they did, the solution to that was to register okada riders with their NURTW and give them ID cards which they would pay for including limiting each rider to some set of roads and including a guarantor.
Re: Fashola Tasks LCCI On Okada Riders Business Plan by kingingkinging: 4:54pm On Nov 14, 2012
ochallo:

you are totally clueless, if you live in lagos, you would know that there is an increase in crime rates since the ban , and when the masses are unemployed, illegal/ fradulent businesses thrive, that is the meaning of " getting a gun".

I get marvelled at times when some of our people contribute to some issues. Are you people saying Gov Fashola should have allowed Lagos to become a dumping ground for the Okada riders from Cross river, Akwa Ibom, Delta, Abuja, etc before he acts.He should be watching as some people were following cows to Lagos with their bikes never to return again, all int the name of creating jobs for Nigerians?
So, all the people who lost their jobs over their, have they become criminals now? The last time I checked, Mr Fashola is not the president of Nigeria and it is apparent is the class governor for all the gov in terms of innovations.
Leave this man. Eko o ni baje oo.
Re: Fashola Tasks LCCI On Okada Riders Business Plan by bayulll01(m): 5:03pm On Nov 14, 2012
kingingkinging:

I get marvelled at times when some of our people contribute to some issues. Are you people saying Gov Fashola should have allowed Lagos to become a dumping ground for the Okada riders from Cross river, Akwa Ibom, Delta, Abuja, etc before he acts.He should be watching as some people were following cows to Lagos with their bikes never to return again, all int the name of creating jobs for Nigerians?
So, all the people who lost their jobs over their, have they become criminals now? The last time I checked, Mr Fashola is not the president of Nigeria and it is apparent is the class governor for all the gov in terms of innovations.
dont mind some cllueless heegoat if wan to ride an okada go to ur villa
Re: Fashola Tasks LCCI On Okada Riders Business Plan by sshalom(m): 5:27pm On Nov 14, 2012
Let them proffer a solution to the menace of Okada and justify the hype they've enjoyed over the years.
Re: Fashola Tasks LCCI On Okada Riders Business Plan by GboyegaD(m): 5:28pm On Nov 14, 2012
olivertwist: What Gov. Fashola has done is to separate the horse from the cart in order to save the horse. If not for Fashola's decision, btw August & now, thousands of children would have become orphans, some would have lost their husbands,wives,bread-winners etc. These decision is about Life & Death not business as usual.

How many do you know that has become orphans as a result of okadas? Someone just talks from some random thinking and the next thing we align. I shake my head for you oooo.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Tasks LCCI On Okada Riders Business Plan by Exponental(m): 5:57pm On Nov 14, 2012
What a reactive act......... I am disappointed in him. He should have been proactive rather than being reactive!
This is medicine after death!!
Re: Fashola Tasks LCCI On Okada Riders Business Plan by sentix(m): 6:19pm On Nov 14, 2012
There has been about 12 different burglary in my area since this okada thing! They even caught one guy last sunday come see beating
Serious beating before police! The guy did not know that the guy they waylaid lives in our area!
Re: Fashola Tasks LCCI On Okada Riders Business Plan by kennytidistar(m): 6:41pm On Nov 14, 2012
nonsensicality of errosion of mind that is what you get when a carpenter become a SAN
Re: Fashola Tasks LCCI On Okada Riders Business Plan by velo10: 8:40pm On Nov 14, 2012
Suddenly acting as if he is concerned. Lagosians definitely know Fashola by now.
Re: Fashola Tasks LCCI On Okada Riders Business Plan by ABUGEORGE(m): 8:41pm On Nov 14, 2012
kingingkinging:

i dont want to comment on ur comment but u make me do, do u know u're wicked fellow, by their foot we shall know dem, u cant be a leader, try to ask about a leader
Re: Fashola Tasks LCCI On Okada Riders Business Plan by abysirius(m): 8:44pm On Nov 14, 2012
This govt...that govt. What are we doing to help ourselves? To say that okada ban in lag was impromptu is to be deceiving ourselves because even the okada men knew what Lagos State Govtks position was on bike from the outset. I'm sure d wise among them must have definitely prepared for this...Nobody pray that he/she loses his/her job but wen it happens, life goes on.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Tasks LCCI On Okada Riders Business Plan by olivertwist: 10:36pm On Nov 14, 2012
ochallo:

The last time I checked, Okada has not been banned in states like Edo, nearby Ogun, Oyo,Ekiti, Anambra, Enugu, Abia,Ebonyi,Imo, etc. If anyone becomes an armed robber because Lagos state govt restricted the operation of Okada business in some dangerous areas (like express ways, bridges etc) for health and safety of its people, I wish the person all the best of 'ALUU-like treatment if he or she get caught. OPC, NPF, MOPOL etc are also waiting...
Re: Fashola Tasks LCCI On Okada Riders Business Plan by tnuga: 11:58am On Nov 15, 2012
Sometimes we all try to push the blame to the poor okada riders,have we taken time to check whether we are also part of the problem.Some of us still help by flying the bike on a restricted roads,why dont you help Governor Fashola acheive his targets of enforcing the trafic law.To those who are so comfortable with life you should have by now be enjoying the long hours in trafic due to increase of vehicles on the road these days,which was was caused by everybody bringing out their cars to get to get to their various destination.

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Soldiers Watching Helplessly As Biafrans Gyrate At Ekwulobia- Pics / See A Beautiful Girl Campaigning For ATIKU-OBI At Main Market Onitsha- Pictures / Shameful Conduct Of Nigeria Policemen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.