Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,912 members, 7,821,182 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:23 AM

Cashless Nigeria: Are We Missing Something? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Cashless Nigeria: Are We Missing Something? (635 Views)

Fellow Nigerians, Its Either I Don't Understand Or Are Missing Something! / Are We Missing Something In Our Fight Against Boko Haram? / The Good And The Bad Of Cashless Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Cashless Nigeria: Are We Missing Something? by bigtt76(f): 6:20am On Nov 16, 2012
Everyday we're inundated with cries of going 'cashless' by CBN yet they want to introduce N5,000 note. Recently they stopped the banks from charging N100 for ATM users on banks ATM other than their domiciled bank's own all in the name of cashless Nigeria. Some banks also increased withdrawal limits.

My understanding of going 'Cashless' means strictly using your cards for all transactions - grocery purchase, taxi fares, mobile phone airtime recharge amongst other uses. What I don't understand is how the removal of the N100 charges would encourage going 'Cashless' when cash is still being withdrawn from the ATM. What one would have thought these peeps would do is incorporate payments for services on ATM (if POS devices are not feasible) where you can make payment and get issued a receipt to present to merchant (Quickteller does this currently).

My point is are we going 'Cashless' to save the banks operational cost of attending to customers in the banking halls or protecting the customers from the vices associated with carrying huge amount of cash around? Your thoughts please!
Re: Cashless Nigeria: Are We Missing Something? by Callotti: 10:15am On Nov 16, 2012
No condition is permanent.
Education is the key.
Nigeria is going to be a cash-based society for the 'lower' class ALWAYS! kiss
The cashless Nigeria only applies to the 'literate'. . . less than 30%.
Minus the literate-daft. . .15%
Have no fear. Ghana Must Go Bags is the only bank for corrupt countries like Nigeria! kiss

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria, Kenya, Zimbabwe And S.africa Account For 74% Of Fraud Cases In Africa / Charles Okah Writes The Catholic Church From Kuje Prison Regarding October 1, / FG To Go Tough On Private Jet Owners

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.