Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,184 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:33 AM

Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? (6403 Views)

Delicious Or Detestable? See How Frogs Are Prepared In Benue (PHOTOS) / How Hygienic Is Roadside Roasted Plantain: Bolé / Is It Hygienic To Eat Suya? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by daroz(m): 4:28pm On Nov 16, 2012
For a long time now I have been wondering how safe and hygienic is our tradition of wrapping our local food like akara, roasted corn, pear, etc with old newspapers. I am not only looking at it from the perspective of the fact that most of this newspapers are really dusty, old and dirty(and of cos it cant be washed b4 used) but I am also considering the fact that the chemical content from the materials used in manufacturing the papers, as well as the ink from the prints might also be harmful to us. I might be really wrong , that is why i need the chemical/ health experts in the house to enlighten me on this issue. Any meaningful contribution will be well appreciated, thanks.

6 Likes

Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by daroz(m): 4:33pm On Nov 16, 2012
b

Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by Ganys: 4:37pm On Nov 16, 2012
Good & better, That was how i got the Contact number of the current Kwara State Governor
He placed advertorial for Contract on a National daily & asked interested bidders to call him then in his capacity as Commisioner for Finance.
I Bought Akara & Ojojo and decided to check the paper after eating..Whooah, i saw our Gov Direct line there. I was able to make millions with just that number.
I will continue buying akara & ojojo wraped with old newspapers. They might be a Gold minegringringrin

8 Likes

Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by daroz(m): 5:04pm On Nov 16, 2012
Ganys: Good & better, That was how i got the Contact number of the current Kwara State Governor
He placed advertorial for Contract on a National daily & asked interested bidders to call him then in his capacity as Commisioner for Finance.
I Bought Akara & Ojojo and decided to check the paper after eating..Whooah, i saw our Gov Direct line there. I was able to make millions with just that number.
I will continue buying akara & ojojo wraped with old newspapers. They might be a Gold minegringringrin

Hmmmmmm, hilarious. But plss let"s approach this discussion from a scientific angle. This one no be joke.

1 Like

Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by bolorunfem(f): 9:10am On Jan 28, 2013
I keep wondering too! But what can one do? If it's something you have to leave your house to go and buy you can prepare yourself by going with a plate but most of the time these stuffs (akara, ojojo, dundu, dodo, booli, langbe etc) are 'fast foods' bought for convenience so you just take them as presented. Your best bet is quickly grub the stuff before the dirt/chemical on the paper is transfered to your food!

Shay na only that one you see? Let's not even talk of hygiene when it comes to buying local foods oh. Your observation has been on old newspapers, how about nylon? Haven't you seen a woman blow air from her mouth into the nylon she's going to put groundnut/bread or (worse still) fresh fruits (I mean those already sliced pawpaw/pineapple/watermelon etc?) shocked shocked shocked.

U never see some of those women using the same hand they take turn firewood or put charcoal in the fire,to turn the booli/corn? You no dey see them use the edge of their wrapper to blow their nose and without washing use the same hand give you akara? Have you ever observed that the same hand used in collecting money from the last buyer and giving our change will be used to give you your own booli! Only few of those women will serve you with fork, they mostly use their hands which are most times dirty! So if you must patronise them, let them give you straight from the hot oil (in case of stuffs fried) or supervise the roasting of the corn/booli from beginning to the end. undecided

9 Likes

Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by tpia5: 4:03pm On Jan 28, 2013
I dont have a problem with it.

And the newspapers arent dirty, they're just old newsprint that's being recycled.

Even fish and chips in britain is sometimes wrapped in newspapers- what's the problem?
Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by tpia5: 4:06pm On Jan 28, 2013
Small time now somebody will ask if its good to wrap moinmoin in leaves.
Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by Afam4eva(m): 11:46pm On Jan 28, 2013
There are lots of things that are not hygenic but we do them anyway. Our great grand parents have been doing worse but did not die from aids. What's the worse that can happen?
Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by bolorunfem(f): 10:21am On Jan 29, 2013
tpia@:
Small time now somebody will ask if its good to wrap moinmoin in leaves.

Moinmoin wrapped in leaves go through heating/steaming process.

Afam4eva: There are lots of things that are not hygenic but we do them anyway. Our great grand parents have been doing worse but did not die from aids. What's the worse that can happen?

Fine. What can we do? It'd be absurd to leave home with your 'clean' paper to have the vendor wrap your akara/puffpuff with it. We have been living with it so let it be, afterall 'egbin odo kii paniyan' cheesy
Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by Nobody: 2:23pm On Jan 29, 2013
well its not too bad,its just that its not decent and civil,i would prefer the leaf used in wrapping moi moi to paper,at least i know the source of that one
Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by mascot87(m): 2:24pm On Jan 29, 2013
Well, IMO wrapping food with newspaper is not hygienic at all and GEJ should be blamed for allowing this to happen undecided
Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by stagger: 2:26pm On Jan 29, 2013
Ganys: Good & better, That was how i got the Contact number of the current Kwara State Governor

Good one. I have got nuggets of info buying corn and pear like this. Hygienically, I have never had any problems. I do not think that germs can survive in newspapers. At least not the very bad ones.
Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by yuzedo: 2:26pm On Jan 29, 2013
DAMN! That corn and ube (pear) looks tasty! *salivating*

All those things no dey kill african man! undecided See as i dey drool for office, i no even send whether na for one old dirty toilet wey roaches and rat dey piss dem store the newspapers for yearssss! embarassed Yuck! grin
Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by koolet: 2:29pm On Jan 29, 2013
So far i Havent heard dat it killed any one so how haz dat reduced Ð value of my palatable akara or my agbado kiss
Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by akatonero(m): 2:32pm On Jan 29, 2013
News papers brings out the taste and smell of the food like akara or roasted corn. grin grin
Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by victorazy(m): 2:32pm On Jan 29, 2013
IS NOT
Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by koolet: 2:33pm On Jan 29, 2013
bolorunfem: I keep wondering too! But what can one do? If it's something you have to leave your house to go and buy you can prepare yourself by going with a plate but most of the time these stuffs (akara, ojojo, dundu, dodo, booli, langbe etc) are 'fast foods' bought for convenience so you just take them as presented. Your best bet is quickly grub the stuff before the dirt/chemical on the paper is transfered to your food!

Shay na only that one you see? Let's not even talk of hygiene when it comes to buying local foods oh. Your observation has been on old newspapers, how about nylon? Haven't you seen a woman blow air from her mouth into the nylon she's going to put groundnut/bread or (worse still) fresh fruits (I mean those already sliced pawpaw/pineapple/watermelon etc?) shocked shocked shocked.

U never see some of those women using the same hand they take turn firewood or put charcoal in the fire,to turn the booli/corn? You no dey see them use the edge of their wrapper to blow their nose and without washing use the same hand give you akara? Have you ever observed that the same hand used in collecting money from the last buyer and giving our change will be used to give you your own booli! Only few of those women will serve you with fork, they mostly use their hands which are most times dirty! So if you must patronise them, let them give you straight from the hot oil (in case of stuffs fried) or supervise the roasting of the corn/booli from beginning to the end. undecided
simple Question deserve simple answer nau which wan be story again... Womeen!!
Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by tmd01: 2:37pm On Jan 29, 2013
bolorunfem: I keep wondering too! But what can one do? If it's something you have to leave your house to go and buy you can prepare yourself by going with a plate but most of the time these stuffs (akara, ojojo, dundu, dodo, booli, langbe etc) are 'fast foods' bought for convenience so you just take them as presented. Your best bet is quickly grub the stuff before the dirt/chemical on the paper is transfered to your food!

If you pay so much attention to all the local food packaging methods,especially when you can't do anything about them, just the fear could kill you even before the disease. so my advice, check out for the basics, if the environment is at least clean and the seller ok.Purchase and consume immediately or quickly transfer to wherever, before eating,if u want to take your time then avoid as much as u can and consume as much as u cant avoid smiley. I bet if not consumed regularly, the effect of the germs will be negligible
Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by jadajada: 2:38pm On Jan 29, 2013
the newspaper adds more nutrients 2 d food. Thus, makin it a balance diet.
Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by Nobody: 2:43pm On Jan 29, 2013
omo, who cares? as long as the suya is tasty, me no mind...
Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by obi4eze(m): 2:44pm On Jan 29, 2013
The newspapers aren't sterilized and may bear pathogenic microorganisms on them so it's not hygienic to use them to wrap edible food.
Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by omotol(f): 2:46pm On Jan 29, 2013
Naughty u.....dat got me cracking.
koolet: simple Question deserve simple answer nau which wan be story again... Womeen!!
Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by obi4eze(m): 2:47pm On Jan 29, 2013
ItsModella: omo, who cares? as long as the suya is tasty, me no mind...

cheesy I know u like suya but it's not hygienic because the meat used could contain tapeworm or another worm called Trichinella spiralis (trying to remember the english name).
Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by Nobody: 2:55pm On Jan 29, 2013
ItsModella: omo, who cares? as long as the suya is tasty, me no mind...

GBAM!
Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by Afam4eva(m): 2:57pm On Jan 29, 2013
obi4eze:

cheesy I know u like suya but it's not hygienic because the meat used could contain tapeworm or another worm called Trichinella spiralis (trying to remember the english name).
God punish tapeworm...As long as i can't see the tapeworm. I think that's what even gives it that delicious taste.
Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by Libkid(m): 3:09pm On Jan 29, 2013
As for me i no send o as far as d food sweet and d tin neva kill pesin BTW who told u dat africans cares abt hygiene.we no send if u doubt am go lagos and anambra
Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by Libkid(m): 3:10pm On Jan 29, 2013
As for me i no send o as far as d food sweet and d tin neva kill pesin BTW who told u dat africans cares abt hygiene
Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by Libkid(m): 3:12pm On Jan 29, 2013
As for me i no send o as far as d food sweet and d tin neva kill pesin BTW who told u dat africans cares abt hygiene.through dis newspaper stuffs many ppl don win millions.
Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by Impulse80(m): 3:18pm On Jan 29, 2013
[sup]you are talking about newspaper? do you know how many microbes live in your mouth, stomach, skin, eyes, ears? undecided[/sup] lipsrsealed undecided All this ITK people sef
Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by Anabaraonyepete(m): 3:24pm On Jan 29, 2013
U never see Hausa pple using thier Ass to roll Quiliquili....
Mamaput leaving her stew open while people hala for thier turns,
puting saliva inside the stew.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Naija Caker;lagos Baker; Cake Expert / Pictures Of A Nairalander Cooking Okro Soup / Ameachi Orders Traders To Reduce Garri Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.