Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,152 members, 7,818,478 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:54 PM

Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? (6405 Views)

Delicious Or Detestable? See How Frogs Are Prepared In Benue (PHOTOS) / How Hygienic Is Roadside Roasted Plantain: Bolé / Is It Hygienic To Eat Suya? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by SisiKill1: 3:31pm On Jan 29, 2013
I couldn't eat any of the local food....Kose, doya, dundun, fish and suya any other way. The newspaper is what makes it authentically authentic.

Back in the day....wasn't it newspaper they served them chicken and chips you bought in London before they got oh so proper?!! undecided

Abegi!! Wrap it well well and lemme be on my way!!!

Yum! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by Walexz02(m): 3:32pm On Jan 29, 2013
obi4eze: The newspapers aren't sterilized and may bear pathogenic microorganisms on them so it's not hygienic to use them to wrap edible food.
Lwkmd! @ sterilizing newspapers......when did you guyz start that?
Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by stupor(m): 3:40pm On Jan 29, 2013
Ah !

D.U.C

Direct undiluted Cancer !

Beware.
Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by brilapluz(m): 4:09pm On Jan 29, 2013
mascot87: Well, IMO wrapping food with newspaper is not hygienic at all and GEJ should be blamed for allowing this to happen undecided
haba..lol..so if mosquito bite u,na Gej cause am...Gej 4 b ur houseboy...u neva start..dey wait 4 Gej..lol
Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by Tee13(f): 4:17pm On Jan 29, 2013
Interesting Topic!!!
Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by theripper2: 4:59pm On Jan 29, 2013
obi4eze: The newspapers aren't sterilized and may bear pathogenic microorganisms on them so it's not hygienic to use them to wrap edible food.

Chairman, u too like book. Hope u sabi active and passive immunity. Now relate memory cells to wetin u just yarn. All dey boost our immunity. No let too much book scatter ur head.
Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by obi4eze(m): 5:24pm On Jan 29, 2013
Chairman, u too like book. Hope u sabi active and passive immunity. Now relate memory cells to wetin u just yarn. All dey boost our immunity. No let too much book scatter ur head.[/quote]

cheesy cheesy grin
Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by obi4eze(m): 5:26pm On Jan 29, 2013
Walexz02:
Lwkmd! @ sterilizing newspapers......when did you guyz start that?

cheesy grin grin
Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by Cutestdiva: 5:46pm On Jan 29, 2013
The truth of the matter is that scientifically n medically it is totally wrong....bt den we do these tins anyways n such that our system has gotten so used to it that it hardly has any effect on the human body
Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by Elebiju: 6:44pm On Jan 29, 2013
obi4eze:

cheesy I know u like suya but it's not hygienic because the meat used could contain tapeworm or another worm called Trichinella spiralis (trying to remember the english name).
so u mean tape worm can survive the heat from the mai suya roaster?omo I no believe that one Ooº°˚ ˚° cos that ember sef fit roast human being to death moreover I d̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥y chop suya wif the paper sef cos d sauce d̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥y stick for d paper u fit try am sef u go know say e d̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥y sweet pass d suya gangan tapeworm join
Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by armyofone(m): 7:12pm On Jan 29, 2013
Childhood memories fa.

Kose with yaji or pepper/tankwa
masa with yaji/the sour miyan/sugar
suya with yaji/onion etc
jada with cement paper
wrapped with news (Inkjet) paper grin

not to forget mallam pesari or kashi around without washing hanu.

i wouldn't eat those now.

About time Nigeria do away with newspaper/cement paper wrapping.

Sisi_Kill: I couldn't eat any of the local food....Kose, doya, dundun, fish and suya any other way. The newspaper is what makes it authentically authentic.

Back in the day....wasn't it newspaper they served them chicken and chips you bought in London before they got oh so proper?!! undecided

Abegi!! Wrap it well well and lemme be on my way!!!

Yum! cheesy
Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by Nightshift(m): 8:06pm On Jan 29, 2013
Absolutely not hygienic!!
Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by touchmeder: 8:12pm On Jan 29, 2013
never gave me trouble in my life up till now.

But i think it can be served in a better way cheesy grin
Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by AdeniyiA(m): 8:44pm On Jan 29, 2013
ignorance is the worst disease anyone can have.
having read about the chemicals used in printing newspapers and found out about its toxicity,i've always rejected it use.
when used for akara(bean cake) and corn, the chemical gets attached to them,unknown to us we eat corn n akara wt chemicals.
even many people do not know that that it's not hygenic to expose package water to too much sunlight.
if exposed and frozen,let it defrost you'll see many 'student' playing football in it

1 Like

Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by Nobody: 8:56pm On Jan 29, 2013
Adeniyi A.:
ignorance is the worst disease anyone can have.
having read about the chemicals used in printing newspapers and found out about its toxicity,i've always rejected it use.
when used for akara(bean cake) and corn, the chemical gets attached to them,unknown to us we eat corn n akara wt chemicals.
even many people do not know that that it's not hygenic to expose package water to too much sunlight.
if exposed and frozen,let it defrost you'll see many 'student' playing football in it
Most of the water we drink aren't steril so you should expect that. Freezing or no freezing, those students are still there.
Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by AdeniyiA(m): 9:00pm On Jan 29, 2013
Vanneni: Most of the water we drink aren't steril so you should expect that. Freezing or no freezing, those students are still there.
V, wat is your course of study?
health related?
Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by Nobody: 9:03pm On Jan 29, 2013
Adeniyi A.:

V, wat is your course of study?
health related?
Ind Chm. Yeah related to health.
Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by pekelepekele(m): 10:41pm On Jan 29, 2013
Microwave is not good to prepare food , Newspaper is bad to wrap food , It might not be good to open your eyes all the time ,driving your car is not good . Wetin come good self for this life? ehn people grin
Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by Nobody: 11:38pm On Jan 29, 2013
Afam4eva: There are lots of things that are not hygenic but we do them anyway. Our great grand parents have been doing worse but did not die from aids. What's the worse that can happen?
You die.
Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by redsun(m): 3:29am On Jan 30, 2013
touchmeder: never gave me trouble in my life up till now.

But i think it can be served in a better way cheesy grin

Better way can create more economic viabilties,cheap and safe packaging.
Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by tpia5: 4:23am On Jan 30, 2013
The newspapers aren't sterilized

gosh. undecided

sometimes i just see a post and wonder, what actually is the use of responding to this?
Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by tpia5: 4:26am On Jan 30, 2013
op

simply reveal what you want to sell,jeez.
Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by daroz(m): 7:25am On Jan 30, 2013
tpia@:
op

simply reveal what you want to sell,jeez.
what i want to sell? I tire for you o.
Anyway, I am surprise this post still made front page after several weeks of posting.
osheeee!!!
Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by bodee(m): 9:32am On Jan 30, 2013
what i know is that microbes are everywhere and it will always be;that is why God creates our system with antibodies(white blood cells).Anyway anyway everyone should know how to live a healthy life.I.e fasting method.
May God help us.
Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by obi4eze(m): 11:01am On Jan 30, 2013
Elebiju: so u mean tape worm can survive the heat from the mai suya roaster?omo I no believe that one Ooº°˚ ˚° cos that ember sef fit roast human being to death moreover I d̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥y chop suya wif the paper sef cos d sauce d̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥y stick for d paper u fit try am sef u go know say e d̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥y sweet pass d suya gangan tapeworm join

grin Oga u funny o! Truth is that some of these worms are usually in the inactive form and can resist heat to some degree. It's only God that has been protecting us because if one analyzes the colonies of harmful bacteria on the suya, some people will not eat at all.
Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by Nobody: 1:29pm On Jan 30, 2013
obi4eze:

cheesy I know u like suya but it's not hygienic because the meat used could contain tapeworm or another worm called Trichinella spiralis (trying to remember the english name).
After roasting the worms die. But we all have worms in our our bowels so? undecided
Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by TableLeg(m): 1:31pm On Jan 30, 2013
tpia@:
I dont have a problem with it.

And the newspapers arent dirty, they're just old newsprint that's being recycled.

Even fish and chips in britain is sometimes wrapped in newspapers- what's the problem?
Do you live in Britain Tpia?
How do you know fish and chips are wrapped in newspapers? undecided
Re: Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? by MyJoe: 3:53pm On Jan 31, 2013
Ganys: Good & better, That was how i got the Contact number of the current Kwara State Governor
He placed advertorial for Contract on a National daily & asked interested bidders to call him then in his capacity as Commisioner for Finance.
I Bought Akara & Ojojo and decided to check the paper after eating..Whooah, i saw our Gov Direct line there. I was able to make millions with just that number.
I will continue buying akara & ojojo wraped with old newspapers. They might be a Gold minegringringrin

Lol. I was doing this research thing and my mind kept going to a newspaper article I had read somewhere - the information it contained would be mother lode of gold to the research I was doing. I knew the paper - The Guardian - but I had no clue as to the date and it was well over a year. I was into suya in those days and when I went for it an evening or two later, I couldn't believe my eyes. The mallam - God bless him - used the page to wrap the stuff for me! That was in 2002 but I still have the stained sheet filed away!

@Op
Paper does not on its own attract germs - that would also mean most germs can't survive long on it - so the risk of contamination should be low. But it can't be ruled out when you consider the handling, particularly, for instance, if the sheet used for you comes from the cover of the newspaper. Someone once reportedly got killed from drinking from a can - apparently someone handled the can with a tainted hand or dropped it somewhere not untainted. On the whole, I will say the risk of getting your food contaminated from having it in with a newspaper is slim but does exist.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Naija Caker;lagos Baker; Cake Expert / Fast And Easy Way To Make Semolina / Ameachi Orders Traders To Reduce Garri Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.