Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,164 members, 7,821,949 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:34 PM

How Hygienic Is Roadside Roasted Plantain: Bolé - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How Hygienic Is Roadside Roasted Plantain: Bolé (18950 Views)

Is It Hygienic To Eat Suya? / Governor Rochas Roasting Corn By The Roadside (Picture) / Wrapping Of Prepared Food With Newspapper By Local Food Vendors, How Hygienic? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Hygienic Is Roadside Roasted Plantain: Bolé by WackyJ1(m): 5:18pm On Nov 06, 2013
There's a woman in front of my work place who sells the roasted plantain and surprisingly (to Me ) it's very popular especially eating it with groundnut . People around buy it many times a day including from my work place.

But i can't see myself eating one of those things. Whenever i think of it the first thing that comes to my mind is the fact that the woman's or anyone elses' hands, in whatever condition they are (un washed, dusty, dirty) who helps her there will touch the plantain to turn it, something that i will put in my mouth. And even when i think of that i also remember the iron mesh that is used un place the plantain over the fire and how it must be black from soot, something that is used day in and out. Everything all On the skin of what i'm putting in my mouth. Disgusting.
So much so that whenever any of my coworkers offer it to Me, i simply tell Them that the day they see me eating that thing, just know that christ is coming the next day.

Aren't there any side effects or bacterias that are transferred from the things that the plantain comes in contact with during roasting? Or does the fire really kill them off. Maybe the side effects don't really show immediately.

1 Like

Re: How Hygienic Is Roadside Roasted Plantain: Bolé by MaJBlige(f): 5:26pm On Nov 06, 2013
Go to Eko Hotels or Sheraton to buy yours. Or better still Shoprite.

42 Likes

Re: How Hygienic Is Roadside Roasted Plantain: Bolé by WackyJ1(m): 5:53pm On Nov 06, 2013
Ma_J_Blige: Go to Eko Hotels or Sheraton to buy yours. Or better still Shoprite.
Why are you being sarcastic? Did my post not strike you as a serious question?
You must have read the 'Roadside' in the topic heading.. Mtcheww

6 Likes

Re: How Hygienic Is Roadside Roasted Plantain: Bolé by Damojo: 9:02pm On Nov 06, 2013
Forget hygiene and focus on the therapeutic effect. Have u tried unripe bole and smoked fish? Best known aphrosidiac!!! Ask Bayelsans.

9 Likes

Re: How Hygienic Is Roadside Roasted Plantain: Bolé by cynhamscakes(f): 9:18pm On Nov 06, 2013
Roasted Bole is really delicious and a healthy food. I agree with the op's thoughts on the hygienic conditions surrounding the preparation of the bole.

I love eating Bole so what I do is that I roast mine with my oven. Simple!!!

1 Like

Re: How Hygienic Is Roadside Roasted Plantain: Bolé by raqueal(f): 4:47pm On Nov 07, 2013
OP, bacteria from roasting is half of it. What is transferred through their dirty hands is the rest. The sellers will handle charcoal with bare hands,touch the plantain, touch their dirty aprons/wrappers and collect money with the same hands. The money part is the most disgusting part, especially here in Abuja where the average northerner blows his nose with bare hands and scratches his crotch on top before giving you change? Nah

6 Likes

Re: How Hygienic Is Roadside Roasted Plantain: Bolé by omoalayo(m): 1:04pm On Nov 11, 2013
t
Re: How Hygienic Is Roadside Roasted Plantain: Bolé by warrenweste(m): 1:06pm On Nov 11, 2013
raqueal: OP, bacteria from roasting is half of it. What is transferred through their dirty hands is the rest. The sellers will handle charcoal with bare hands,touch the plantain, touch their dirty aprons/wrappers and collect money with the same hands. The money part is the most disgusting part, especially here in Abuja where the average northerner blows his nose with bare hands and scratches his crotch on top before giving you change? Nah
Yuck you make me wana throw up lipsrsealed cry

1 Like

Re: How Hygienic Is Roadside Roasted Plantain: Bolé by gnot: 1:07pm On Nov 11, 2013
aswea undecidedr i dont know what bole is undecided. is it because i'v never eaten outside undecided?
Re: How Hygienic Is Roadside Roasted Plantain: Bolé by djeezy(m): 1:07pm On Nov 11, 2013
Some Nigerians don't care to know whether its hygienic or not. They're more interested in how sweet it tastes.lol, As for hygiene, since I don't carry a microscope about, I'll just look at the environment and how clean the seller is. I call that eyescope.

5 Likes

Re: How Hygienic Is Roadside Roasted Plantain: Bolé by aaidel(m): 1:08pm On Nov 11, 2013
raqueal: OP, bacteria from roasting is half of it. What is transferred through their dirty hands is the rest. The sellers will handle charcoal with bare hands,touch the plantain, touch their dirty aprons/wrappers and collect money with the same hands. The money part is the most disgusting part, especially here in Abuja where the average northerner blows his nose with bare hands and scratches his crotch on top before giving you change? Nah

isn't bole a southern food what has the average northerner got to do with it

7 Likes

Re: How Hygienic Is Roadside Roasted Plantain: Bolé by Inioluwa01(m): 1:08pm On Nov 11, 2013
Ewwwwwwww!!!
Re: How Hygienic Is Roadside Roasted Plantain: Bolé by Afam4eva(m): 1:08pm On Nov 11, 2013
How are we supposed to know if it's hygienic or not. It depends on the person preparing it but we don't ask questions about hygiene before buying stuffs like that. We just buy them.

1 Like

Re: How Hygienic Is Roadside Roasted Plantain: Bolé by ConquerAll(m): 1:09pm On Nov 11, 2013
I don't fancy "Bole" because of poor hygiene of the sellers. Imagine using the same hand, unwashed though, to do everything from morning till evening.
Re: How Hygienic Is Roadside Roasted Plantain: Bolé by Jayses(m): 1:10pm On Nov 11, 2013
gnot: aswea undecidedr i dont know what bole is undecided. is it because i'v never eaten outside undecided?
it's because u are a cannibal
Re: How Hygienic Is Roadside Roasted Plantain: Bolé by nerodenero: 1:11pm On Nov 11, 2013
I like it hot. The heat is enough to kill whatever bacteria therein.

18 Likes

Re: How Hygienic Is Roadside Roasted Plantain: Bolé by adexsimply(m): 1:11pm On Nov 11, 2013
Although I can't eat anything that has been touched by anyone's bare hands(I'm Squeamish), I still don't think "Bole" is less hygienic...
@OP you're just squeamish.. wink
Re: How Hygienic Is Roadside Roasted Plantain: Bolé by everyday: 1:11pm On Nov 11, 2013
I love book most especially with groundnut
Re: How Hygienic Is Roadside Roasted Plantain: Bolé by OkikiOluwa1(m): 1:11pm On Nov 11, 2013
Its hygienic.
more to follow
Re: How Hygienic Is Roadside Roasted Plantain: Bolé by ItsUncleDee(m): 1:11pm On Nov 11, 2013
grin
Re: How Hygienic Is Roadside Roasted Plantain: Bolé by Honadeadek(m): 1:12pm On Nov 11, 2013
How hygienic Boli is? You need to ask a Medical Practitioner about the importance of un ripe plantain in the body. It reduces Sugar level and keeps the insulin at bay. But the truth is no matter the kind of atmospheric condition it is exposed to 'Boli ati Epa' or sometimes with 'EPO PUPA' as Ijebu people prefers it is always great.

1 Like

Re: How Hygienic Is Roadside Roasted Plantain: Bolé by adexsimply(m): 1:13pm On Nov 11, 2013
everyday: I love book most especially with groundnut
shocked shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: How Hygienic Is Roadside Roasted Plantain: Bolé by Ammanda(f): 1:13pm On Nov 11, 2013
I learnt BOLE is a very good source of Atomic Energy for Men cheesy

Btw, some people eats bolee with groundnuts? Which kind combination be that?

Abeg, bole is best served with fresh red oil

2 Likes

Re: How Hygienic Is Roadside Roasted Plantain: Bolé by nairaarea: 1:14pm On Nov 11, 2013
it depends on where and who is involved
Re: How Hygienic Is Roadside Roasted Plantain: Bolé by Nobody: 1:14pm On Nov 11, 2013
I don't even eat it. So not interested in such..

Seeing the people who sell it, being careless about hygiene is enough reason to avoid it.
Re: How Hygienic Is Roadside Roasted Plantain: Bolé by yemiplex(m): 1:14pm On Nov 11, 2013
cynhamscakes: Roasted Bole is really delicious and a healthy food. I agree with the op's thoughts on the hygienic conditions surrounding the preparation of the bole.

I love eating Bole so what I do is that I roast mine with my oven. Simple!!!

u can't compare the taste of that local roasted one with that of oven made

3 Likes

Re: How Hygienic Is Roadside Roasted Plantain: Bolé by Nobody: 1:15pm On Nov 11, 2013
ConquerAll: I don't fancy "Bole" because of poor hygiene of the sellers. Imagine using the same hand, unwashed though, to do everything from morning till evening.

Eww
Re: How Hygienic Is Roadside Roasted Plantain: Bolé by astronautog(m): 1:15pm On Nov 11, 2013
All of una they mad especially the op!!!na comon bole wey u chop go kill you?if you like don't eat it sometin go still kill you!!rubbish!!una dey form lyk say una no dey shitt

36 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How To Make Fish Stew / Dine Out This Festive Season And Take The Food Pictures / How To Prepare Prawn Soup (opuru Fulou)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.