Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,992 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:25 AM

3 Ways To Avoid A Car Accident - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 3 Ways To Avoid A Car Accident (12747 Views)

Ghastly Car Accident In Makurdi. Benue State Capital. Photos / 4 Friends Killed In Ikotun Lagos Car Accident While Coming From Night Club[photo / Car Accident At Mushin, Lagos (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

3 Ways To Avoid A Car Accident by Nasri100(m): 10:37am On Nov 18, 2012
1) Overspeed: This point has got to be the most important factor to consider in avoiding accidents.

Incase you don't understand the term "Over speed"

Well "Overspeed" is a condition in which an engine is allowed or forced to turn beyond its design limit.

It has been noted that many motorists ignore the dangers of overspeed but recently,Several cases of fatal accidents have been a result of over speed and reckless driving. Drive carefully! Do not over speed !

2) Brake pads : Shouldn't I be classifying this factor under " Car parts " ? No!

Infact break failure are the number one causes of accidents involving trucks and larger vehicles.

Due to the nature of most Nigerian Roads,studies shows most road accidents in nigeria are caused by break failures especially from the larger vehicles and the nature of our roads hasn't helped matters.

Prevention! It is often said,is better than cure,although there certainly is no sure way to prevent the possibility of break failure accidents,but you can do your own part to save your life and others: Inspect and service your brakes regularly.

They are some warning signs that there is something wrong with your brakes include A squeaking noise when applying the brake.Take seriously it could probably be lack of brake fluid.

3) Natural causes are normal :

Natural weather conditions like Rain,Snow,Fog etc are Natural weather conditions that are bound to happen.

Ofcourse Rain has been the catalyst to most natural accident cases in nigeria.

When it rains it reduces the driver perception and is especially highly debilitating at night.
Rain affects the ability to see through the car windshield despite your wind shield wipers operating,the splashing and even your wind shield wipers also periodically block vision.

Don't need to tell you that wipers are never 100% efficient and always leave a smear of water across the wind shield,Never trust your wipers to do the job when it rains.

Be alert,Drive carefully and Do not over speed when it rains.

Let's save lives Nigerians !! Merry christmas and happy new year in advance

http://Accidentwatch.

20 Likes

Re: 3 Ways To Avoid A Car Accident by Chuksyno(m): 2:48am On Nov 19, 2012
Nice post. Pot holes on naija roads also contributes to more than 40% of road carnages.

4 Likes

Re: 3 Ways To Avoid A Car Accident by dabrake(m): 4:24pm On Nov 19, 2012
Don't forget the general rule : everyone on the road are mad.

7 Likes

Re: 3 Ways To Avoid A Car Accident by AMKIFES(m): 4:25pm On Nov 19, 2012
Nice post.
Re: 3 Ways To Avoid A Car Accident by BMZK: 4:29pm On Nov 19, 2012
Driving under alchool influence is not left out.
Also majority of drivers have not attended any formal driving lesson.

3 Likes

Re: 3 Ways To Avoid A Car Accident by Nobody: 4:31pm On Nov 19, 2012
Nasri100: 1) Overspeed: This point has got to be the most important factor to consider in avoiding accidents.

Incase you don't understand the term "Over speed"

Well "Overspeed" is a condition in which an engine is allowed or forced to turn beyond its design limit.

It has been noted that many motorists ignore the dangers of overspeed but recently,Several cases of fatal accidents have been a result of over speed and reckless driving. Drive carefully! Do not over speed !

Bro, you're confusing "engine speed" with "road speed." You can rev your engine to it's redline, but you could be in 2nd or 3rd gear. So your road speed will be low.

So by "over speed," you're referring to the actual speed the vehicle is doing. The gearbox is a multiplier, and increases the road speed of the vehicle, depending on what gear is selected. Revving your engine to 6500 rpm in 2nd gear may give a road speed of 42 mph, while 3000 rpm in 5th / 6th could give 84 mph. So it's the actual speed of the vehicle that's the prime consideration here.

Good write-up though. smiley

5 Likes

Re: 3 Ways To Avoid A Car Accident by Nobody: 4:34pm On Nov 19, 2012
1 way to avoid a plane crash..

BUY A PRIVATE JET!
Re: 3 Ways To Avoid A Car Accident by topsyking: 4:44pm On Nov 19, 2012
dabrake: Don't forget the general rule : everyone on the road are mad.
Plus ya faather

1 Like

Re: 3 Ways To Avoid A Car Accident by yuzedo: 4:44pm On Nov 19, 2012
4. Looking nyash while driving (Top cause of Car Accident) tongue

3 Likes

Re: 3 Ways To Avoid A Car Accident by Archmed(m): 4:45pm On Nov 19, 2012
Siena:

Bro, you're confusing "engine speed" with "road speed." You can rev your engine to it's redline, but you could be in 2nd or 3rd gear. So your road speed will be low.

So by "over speed," you're referring to the actual speed the vehicle is doing. The gearbox is a multiplier, and increases the road speed of the vehicle, depending on what gear is selected. Revving your engine to 6500 rpm in 2nd gear may give a road speed of 42 mph, while 3000 rpm in 5th / 6th could give 84 mph. So it's the actual speed of the vehicle that's the prime consideration here.

with ur Ph.D in Mechanical Engineering,The OP's points appeal to me more.....u said its d actual speed of d car that is d prime consideration...who controls the speed of d car...na Spirit?..Naija over sabi...wen we want show say we sabi..we reveal our ignorance..smh.

3 Likes

Re: 3 Ways To Avoid A Car Accident by DAvIt0(m): 4:47pm On Nov 19, 2012
@OP Good write up, nice post
Prevention they say is better than cure.
Re: 3 Ways To Avoid A Car Accident by OkwaIfugo(m): 4:48pm On Nov 19, 2012
nice post bro.
Re: 3 Ways To Avoid A Car Accident by azpekuliar: 4:51pm On Nov 19, 2012
Timely post. The 'ember months are here.
Re: 3 Ways To Avoid A Car Accident by MadCow1: 4:53pm On Nov 19, 2012
Utter Rubbish: There is no possible fail safe way of avoiding an accident.. Not even if you decide to stop driving and walk on foot..

The title should read: 3 Ways to reduce the risk of a car accident..

2 Likes

Re: 3 Ways To Avoid A Car Accident by Areaboy2(m): 4:54pm On Nov 19, 2012
Archmed: with ur Ph.D in Mechanical Engineering,The OP's points appeal to me more.....u said its d actual speed of d car that is d prime consideration...who controls the speed of d car...na Spirit?..Naija over sabi...wen we want show say we sabi..we reveal our ignorance..smh.

huh?? what are you on about

The OP's definition of "overspeed" was rather vague. The post you quote only goes to explain further.

You dont have to comment you know?

1 Like

Re: 3 Ways To Avoid A Car Accident by Seun(m): 4:54pm On Nov 19, 2012
Mad Cow: Utter Rubbish: There is no possible fail safe way of avoiding an accident.. Not even if you decide to stop driving and walk on foot..

The title should read: 3 Ways to reduce the risk of a car accident..
The word "avoid" doesn't imply 100% fail-safety.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Ways To Avoid A Car Accident by surveyProf(m): 4:55pm On Nov 19, 2012
Always drive defensively dat is the best mode of driving in 9ja!!!

1 Like

Re: 3 Ways To Avoid A Car Accident by DAvIt0(m): 4:56pm On Nov 19, 2012
Seun: The word "avoid" doesn't imply 100% fail-safety.

Thanks for this Reply jo wonder y he cant read btw line......
Re: 3 Ways To Avoid A Car Accident by israel007: 5:03pm On Nov 19, 2012
and you guys are living sleep out of this?
Re: 3 Ways To Avoid A Car Accident by Nobody: 5:04pm On Nov 19, 2012
Archmed: with ur Ph.D in Mechanical Engineering,The OP's points appeal to me more.....u said its d actual speed of d car that is d prime consideration...who controls the speed of d car...na Spirit?..Naija over sabi...wen we want show say we sabi..we reveal our ignorance..smh.

Bro, if my post offended you, then I apologise. I won't comment further.

1 Like

Re: 3 Ways To Avoid A Car Accident by Nobody: 5:21pm On Nov 19, 2012

You're the ignorant one here. The OP wrote "Well "Overspeed" is a condition in which an engine is allowed or forced to turn beyond its design limit."

The bolded part is clearly referring to the RPM.

Siena's explanation was very correct, based on the OP's definition of "Overspeed".

@OP Nice Tips there.
Re: 3 Ways To Avoid A Car Accident by Wallie(m): 5:41pm On Nov 19, 2012

Siena is right! The OP is conflating different terms and explanations. OP's description of “over speed” is what’s called over rev or money shift.

One of the most important ways to avoid an accident is to anticipate what other cars might do (defensive driving).
Re: 3 Ways To Avoid A Car Accident by Pangea: 5:50pm On Nov 19, 2012
@OP
Don't forget, not offending awon aye o!
Awon iya osoronga, a pani mayoda!
Re: 3 Ways To Avoid A Car Accident by gentlegg(m): 5:52pm On Nov 19, 2012
I've been driving privately for about 10yrs now, I've had accident myself, missed accidents, witnessed accidents, heard of many accidents, seen a lot of after-accidents, and i can conclude that over 80% of car accidents are directly or indirectly caused by over speeding. Second to it is night driving(this one normally cause fatal ones)
Infact, i recently swore to myself not to exceed 120km/hr again after i nearly missed fatal accident while on 160km/hr

1 Like

Re: 3 Ways To Avoid A Car Accident by Nobody: 6:01pm On Nov 19, 2012
Please do you drive?

....Just asking, wanna know if you are a Maaaaaaad! Man.

dabrake: Don't forget the general rule : everyone on the road are mad.
Re: 3 Ways To Avoid A Car Accident by Nobody: 6:17pm On Nov 19, 2012
dejustice: Please do you drive?

....Just asking, wanna know if you are a Maaaaaaad! Man.

You're taking what he said too literally, too personally. What he's saying is, there are reckless drivers out there, with no consideration for others, least of all themselves. If you bear this in mind, you'll be much safer. The key word here is ALERTNESS.
Re: 3 Ways To Avoid A Car Accident by ifecx4real: 6:27pm On Nov 19, 2012
Siena:

Please can you explain this in a simpler form to we that are not mathematically sound, shoo!!!
Re: 3 Ways To Avoid A Car Accident by FlamingGun: 6:33pm On Nov 19, 2012
Don't use the phone (voice, text) when driving.

FG

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 3 Ways To Avoid A Car Accident by engrfcuksmtin(m): 6:39pm On Nov 19, 2012
Chuksyno: Nice post. Pot holes on naija roads also contributes to more than 40% of road carnages.
The situation of Nigerian roads is suppose to make a sane driver to be extra careful. At times I wonder if it is blood that is flowing in the veins of some drivers. If you ply Lokoja-Abuja road regularly you will attest to the. fact that majority of Nigerian drivers are reckless.
Re: 3 Ways To Avoid A Car Accident by kollybay4u: 6:56pm On Nov 19, 2012
Chuksyno: Nice post. Pot holes on naija roads also contributes to more than 40% of road carnages.
4. Road signs: most of our road users normally ignored or don't have any knowledge about it like bomb ahead, bridges, corners signs etc

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Is Peugoet 607 So Scarce Now On Nigerian Roads. / Identifying The Year Of Your Vehicle / How Well Do You Know Your Engine? Which Is Your Cylinder #1, 4 Or 6?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.