Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,898 members, 7,817,659 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:33 PM

Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States (16001 Views)

Can You Choose To Come To This Life As A Black Man Once Again.? / Do You Consider Romanians As White? / Slavery in the United States (1775-1865) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by tpia1: 5:12pm On Nov 19, 2012
blacks are a minority in the US though.

they're more concentrated in certain areas, but not everywhere.
Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by Horus(m): 5:27pm On Nov 19, 2012
tpia1: blacks are a minority in the US though.

they're more concentrated in certain areas, but not everywhere.

Yes we all know that fact, but did you understand the point I was trying to make about the purcentage of blacks in Brazil, Colombia and USA?
Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by Nobody: 5:54pm On Nov 19, 2012
tpia1: i've met a few nubians (i think) and i really wouldnt call them black, per se.

some are more arab than black, unless i'm missing something.

i could be wrong though.

i think this black thing is more of an american phenomenon, since its classified sort of differently in europe.

if you call a nubian black, would you also call them negro?

Can you buttress the points made here with relevant sources?

1 Like

Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by Nobody: 5:56pm On Nov 19, 2012
Nubians are proud black people - you need to visit Southern Egypt and Sudan to know more about them...

3 Likes

Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by Clemzy16(m): 6:12pm On Nov 19, 2012
Soon they'll disown his nationality when he blow-off a u.s embassy.
Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:56pm On Nov 19, 2012
eGuerrilla:

In case you missed the memo, tribal purity is an anachronism in today's Nigeria.

You wish to draw a line between Africans and their kindred in the Diaspora, because you think racism is alien to Africans?
For this alone, it is clear you have never really paid much attention to the Arab conquest or indeed its attendant cost.

When you say racism is part of the African-American mind-set, you are, in a sense, condemning the victim left with no choice but to fashion a way forward. Mind you, it is just the kind of arrogance one expects from an ethnic irredentist who harks back to a romantic period which only exists in his mind.

Once you crossed over into the realms of absurdity to suggest Dr Hefny's has no right to identify himself as a Blackman, in my opinion, you betray your true mission as one designed to cause as much discord as possible, with little regard for intended consequences. Problem is; I am not even sure you recognise the trajectory you embarked on for what it is, since the road to perdition is paved with good intentions.

For what its worth, understand this: while you have an inalienable right to adopt primordial loyalties, like I do, all attempts to equate Nigeria’s ‘ethnic groups’ with ‘tribal purity’ (a contradiction in terms) will henceforth be repudiated on these boards.

says who maybe you say it. today in Nigeria, nothing works well. then entire system is cr.ap. infrastructure, poverty, etc. EVERYTHING! therefore why should tribal purity be excluded. my referance to tribal poverty is in the case of an ideal Nigeria. tribal purity is ingraine in our core values.

people in Nigeria dont respect culture, dont repect religion, have little value for duty, so that is their problem.

the African problem is different from the akata problem. our relationship broke the very day these Akatas stopped being African, lost their tribes, intermarried with natives whites and each other. we had a relationship with their ancestors who left Africa but not with their descendants.

we are different people now.

what has this arab conquest got anything to do with akatas angry
you are going off-topic.

what victim? let the deal with their own problems? do they deal with the problems of my Hasua people so why should i bloody care what goes on there?! angry

and plz open up your mind! have you noticed the high levels of racism spewing out of the usa. dont you see this akatas always use N-word in their songs or they always are raising the issue of black black black. it gets annoying. anyone who is brown is instantly classified as black and kin to this useless akata!

Mr. Hefny is a Nubian brown-skinned man. he is just trying to be a wannabe and fit in with the akata populace as an american-African. ok it is fine for him to say that hi is brown coloured and not white. as i proved in my recent other thread, the americans are ignorants. but what infuriated me most is when he is claiming some supposed "black heritage black pride and some strong black identity". what does this mean. what has skin colour got to do with being proud or "Strong" identity.

The Nubian people where employed as warriors and archers in the Egyptian army. they built great monuments and temples and Empires in SOuthern Egypt , Dangala, Meroe, etc. they achieved a lot in different fields. but not because they were black-skinned! NO! IT WAS BECAUSE THEY WERE NUBIANS! skin colour has nothing to with achievements, etc. so what nonsense black heritage, black pride and black identity is he talking about "" angry
i have come to the conclusion that the only reason he is doing this is because apart from wanting to assimilate and identify with the akata populace he wants the "extra benifits"awarded to AAs in america.
Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:06pm On Nov 19, 2012
76Naira:

Please check things before you post. I lived in Sudan for 3 years and no Nubian who knows the history will allow you call them a white race.
Nubians are about the oldest "recorded" African race.

"Nubia is the homeland of Africa's earliest black culture with a history which can be traced from 3800 B.C. onward through Nubian monuments and artifacts, as well as written records from Egypt and Rome. In antiquity, Nubia was a land of great natural wealth, of gold mines, ebony, ivory and incense which was always prized by her neighbors.

The Nubians lost their ancient homeland in the 1960's due to the Aswan dam flloding, but their culture and heritage remain.

The influx of Arabs to Egypt and Sudan had contributed to the suppression of the Nubian identity following the collapse of the last Nubian kingdom in 1900. A major part of the Nubian population were totally arabized or claimed to be arabs (Jaa'leen-the majority of Northern Sudanese- and some Donglawes in Sudan, Kenuz and Koreskos in Egypt). However all Nubians were converted to Islam, and Arabic language became their main media of communication in addition to their indigenous old Nubian language. The unique characteristic of Nubian is shown in their culture (dress, dances, traditions and music) as well as their indigenous language which is the common feature of all Nubians." Please don't remind them about this era, they know it too well!

http://www.pbs.org/wonders/Episodes/Epi1/1_retel1.htm
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nubian
http://wysinger.homestead.com/nubians.html

A Nubian family formed my closest friends while I was in Khartoum with my family.

I know Nubians and have worked with them more than you have. Nubians are proud of their identity but not once have i encountered such racist views from them and them callng themselves blacks. they call themselves Nubian first and foremost.

i find the term "black" derrogatoy because i am brown skinned NOT black. also i hate it when people call me by my skin colour. maybe akatas like to call themselves that but i dont like it. if you see somone with a big head, will you call him "big-headed man, come here! "

in the same way , i have an ETHNICITY. i have an IDENTITY! so call me HAUSA. not anything based on my physical features and that too wrongly (im brown not black).

theres no such thing as "Äfricas earliest black culture " . TO HELL WITH YOUR RACISM!

and you dont need to relate to me the history of Nuba. i know it very well. its splendour and magnificence. but YOU have no claim over it. just because you share similar skin colour, it doesnt mean you have any connection with their achievements. so stop bragging! angry angry angry angry

if you want to brag, go brag about your own culture, not someone elses. and then lay false claim over it.
Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:12pm On Nov 19, 2012
Revolva: @pagan9ja
You are just changing the subject of this discussion na wa for your extremism o

Pls debate on hefnys case not your own fight to make the world pagan -- its another topic you are trying to bring here ..
Thanks hefny you are a black man don't mind the american system calling all egyptians white are they stewpid even arabs may look white but they aint white at all - don't they know there are some black egyptians?

i mentioned Paganism in connection with the Tribes. plz go read what i posted. i am not going off topic. it was just some details i added for tribal classification.

i dont mind Hefny fighting for his skin colour, but i dont like him trying to exxagerate about some make-believe black heritage or black pride.

it does not make sense. what is there to be proud about skin colour. if there is anything, he should e talking about NUBIAN PRIDE!

it is his ethnicity that achieved many things in this world, not his skin colour.
Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:20pm On Nov 19, 2012
[size=16pt]black heritage , black pride and strong black identity.

Nubian heritage, Nubian pride and strong Nubian identity.[/size]

1 Like

Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:21pm On Nov 19, 2012
ROSSIKE:

What do you mean ''he is a Nubian not black''? You are massively ignorant and confused to not realise that Nubians have ALWAYS been black Africans. Why don't you go and read proper African history and stop making an assss of yourself?

shut up. dont teach me history. i know way more than you. i have Nubian friends and they look Dark Brown, NOT BLACK. you need to go test your eyes.
Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:23pm On Nov 19, 2012
shymexx: Nubians are proud black people - you need to visit Southern Egypt and Sudan to know more about them...

I can assure you that they are not proud to be black. how can someone be proud of their skin colour. Nubians credit their achievements to their Nubian ancestors willpower and capabilities, not to their skin colour.

no Nubian i know ever talks about the superiority of his/her skin colour to other skin colours. only akatas and americans/europeans do that.

you dont find Chinese talking about the superiority of their yellow skin. angry
Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by Nobody: 8:16pm On Nov 19, 2012
First off, let me make it clear that because I find your continued use of the word ‘Akata’ reprehensible, I am only responding to your post for the benefit of other readers.

PAGAN 9JA:

says who maybe you say it. today in Nigeria, nothing works well. then entire system is cr.ap. infrastructure, poverty, etc. EVERYTHING! therefore why should tribal purity be excluded. my referance to tribal poverty is in the case of an ideal Nigeria. tribal purity is ingraine in our core values.

Did I not explain to you sometime ago that an ethnic group is actually a superset of tribes?
The Yoruba are made up of about 23 sub-groups which use eight distinct versions (dialects) of Yoruba languages that are not entirely mutually intelligible; the Ndigbo have 17 sub-groups, while even the Hausa comprise of Magorawa, Djibalawa, Bageyawa, Tarimawa, etc. Granted I have chosen only threee examples here, but please explain to me how you plan to isolate tribal purity in this make up?

people in Nigeria dont respect culture, dont repect religion, have little value for duty, so that is their problem.

We are in agreement here. Although I am not sure how it advances your argument.

the African problem is different from the akata problem. our relationship broke the very day these Akatas stopped being African, lost their tribes, intermarried with natives whites and each other. we had a relationship with their ancestors who left Africa but not with their descendants.

we are different people now.

You see just the differences. I see differences as well as similarities!
A crash course in dialectics might do you a world of good.

what has this arab conquest got anything to do with akatas angry
you are going off-topic.

I mentioned the Arab conquest to debunk your earlier claim about the absence of racism in Africa. Dig?

what victim? let the deal with their own problems? do they deal with the problems of my Hasua people so why should i bloody care what goes on there?! angry

If your world view is limited to the Hausa people, this is fine.
But while at it, be honest and desist from making unsubstantiated claims sourced from a fountain of parochialism.

and plz open up your mind! have you noticed the high levels of racism spewing out of the usa. dont you see this akatas always use N-word in their songs or they always are raising the issue of black black black. it gets annoying. anyone who is brown is instantly classified as black and kin to this useless akata!

So? Since Black people are not the progenitors of racism, I really don't know where you get off with this assertion.
Why don't you direct your ire towards the government agency responsible for the racial stratification that bothers you so much: Standards for the Classification of Federal Data on Race and Ethnicity

Mr. Hefny is a Nubian brown-skinned man. he is just trying to be a wannabe and fit in with the akata populace as an american-African. ok it is fine for him to say that hi is brown coloured and not white. as i proved in my recent other thread, the americans are ignorants. but what infuriated me most is when he is claiming some supposed "black heritage black pride and some strong black identity". what does this mean. what has skin colour got to do with being proud or "Strong" identity.

Talk about crying more than the bereaved. grin
As the Black consciousness movement which Dr Hefny identifies with does not rank skin tone on a sliding scale, I suppose you have a real dilemna @Pagan?

The Nubian people where employed as warriors and archers in the Egyptian army. they built great monuments and temples and Empires in SOuthern Egypt , Dangala, Meroe, etc. they achieved a lot in different fields. but not because they were black-skinned! NO! IT WAS BECAUSE THEY WERE NUBIANS! skin colour has nothing to with achievements, etc. so what nonsense black heritage, black pride and black identity is he talking about "" angry
i have come to the conclusion that the only reason he is doing this is because apart from wanting to assimilate and identify with the akata populace he wants the "extra benifits"awarded to AAs in america.

Since he's already articulated his reasons in a clear and lucid manner, the emboldened portion of you post is, at best, conjecture!

2 Likes

Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:37pm On Nov 19, 2012
Did I not explain to you sometime ago that an ethnic group is actually a superset of tribes?
The Yoruba are made up of about 23 sub-groups which use eight distinct versions (dialects) of Yoruba languages that are not entirely mutually intelligible; the Ndigbo have 17 sub-groups, while even the Hausa comprise of Magorawa, Djibalawa, Bageyawa, Tarimawa, etc. Granted I have chosen only threee examples here, but please explain to me how you plan to isolate tribal purity in this make up?

I refer to these "tribes"that you speak of as "sub-tribes"and these "ëthnic groups" as tribes.

when i speak of tribal purity, i mean the purity of the wider ethnic group, like Hausa, Yoruba, Igbo, Twa, TIv, Jukun, etc., not the subtribes: Bunjawa, Kebbawa, etc.

the sub-tribes all share a common link and together form the major tribe. the sub-tribes in general do tend to intermarry since they share common identity and blood. therefore it is this major tribe, the keeper of the identity, culture, religion and heritage of these people, that needs to stay majorly pure as it has been the case for millenia.

We are in agreement here. Although I am not sure how it advances your argument.

this was in response to your saying that tribal purity is an anachronism in today's Nigeria. i say that it is not. it is just that all forms of system in Nigeria are failing today, so it is the same case with tribal structure. therefore it is our duty to save any form of system in our country from malfunction.

I mentioned the Arab conquest to debunk your earlier claim about the absence of racism in Africa. Dig?

are Arabs indigenes of the African continent

So? Since Black people are not the progenitors of racism, I really don't know where you get off with this assertion.
Why don't you direct your ire towards the government agency responsible for the racial stratification that bothers you so much: Standards for the Classification of Federal Data on Race and Ethnicity

i agree that the blacks didnt begin racism (ofcourse), but why are these blacks/akatas continuing racist trends in the US angry

As the Black consciousness movement which Dr Hefny identifies with does not rank skin tone on a sliding scale, I suppose you have a real dilemna @Pagan?

blank conciousness sound like a religious / brainwashing movement!

Since he's already articulated his reasons in a clear and lucid manner, the emboldened portion of you post is, at best, conjecture!

it is not conjecture.

He says that he’s been denied promotions after demanding that he be recognized as a black man. He could not get a teaching position at Wayne State University because the job called for a minority.

Hefny said. “However, the legal demand of my racial classification of ‘white’ prevents me from receiving benefits established for black people.”

he basically wants to take advantage of the minority quota reservations.
Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by Nobody: 9:53pm On Nov 19, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

I can assure you that they are not proud to be black. how can someone be proud of their skin colour. Nubians credit their achievements to their Nubian ancestors willpower and capabilities, not to their skin colour.

no Nubian i know ever talks about the superiority of his/her skin colour to other skin colours. only akatas and americans/europeans do that.

you dont find Chinese talking about the superiority of their yellow skin. angry

You sound myopic with your rants all over the thread... You're Hausa and you have direct ancestry with Nubians because you speak an Afro-Asiatic language(Semitic)... The remnants of Nubians living in Sudan and Southern Egypt(Northern Egypt on the ancient map) are proud of their black skin and they know they're related to other black people in Africa... You need to visit Egypt and sail on River Nile - to know where their loyalty lies... They know their history and they know darn well that they're not related to the Arabs...

Just let them be, ok? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:55pm On Nov 19, 2012
shymexx:

You sound myopic with your rants all over the thread... You're Hausa and you have direct ancestry with Nubians because you speak an Afro-Asiatic language(Semitic)... The remnants of Nubians living in Sudan and Southern Egypt(Northern Egypt on the ancient map) are proud of their black skin and they know they're related to other black people in Africa... You need to visit Egypt and sail on River Nile - to know where their loyalty lies... They know their history and they know darn well that they're not related to the Arabs...

Just let them be, ok? undecided

[size=16pt]F_U_C_K OFF !!!!!!!!!! HOW DARE YOU SUGGEST SUCH A THING YOU STU.PID SLAVE ISRAELI HIPPIE WORSHIPPER ! GET LOST!

I AM HAUSA DESCENDANT OF BANZA BAKWAI OF HAUSALAND![/size] angry angry angry angry

those Nubians might be descended from me , for all i care. We are not Semitic. we are Chadic Sahelian .

i have been to the Nile, Aswan , etc. beautiful places but not as beautiful as my homeland. i know they are not arabs nor are they related to us Hausa.
Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by Nobody: 10:06pm On Nov 19, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

F_U_C_K OFF !!!!!!!!!! HOW DARE YOU SUGGEST SUCH A THING YOU STU.PID SLAVE ISRAELI HIPPIE WORSHIPPER ! GET LOST!

I AM HAUSA DESCENDANT OF BANZA BAKWAI OF HAUSALAND!
angry angry angry angry

those Nubians might be descended from me , for all i care. We are not Semitic. we are Chadic Sahelian .

i have been to the Nile, Aswan , etc. beautiful places but not as beautiful as my homeland. i know they are not arabs nor are they related to us Hausa.

Bwahahahahahaha

Your people are an off-shoot of the Nubians - take it, or leave it... grin

And you're an Afro-asiatic black man!

However, you should be ashamed of being Hausa - the same Hausa cowards who were soundly defeated by the Fulani Jihadists and subsequently enslaved(to date)... Hausas lost their culture and identity to the Fulanis smh.... undecided
Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by 76Naira(m): 10:18pm On Nov 19, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

[size=16pt]F_U_C_K OFF !!!!!!!!!! HOW DARE YOU SUGGEST SUCH A THING YOU STU.PID SLAVE ISRAELI HIPPIE WORSHIPPER ! GET LOST!

I AM HAUSA DESCENDANT OF BANZA BAKWAI OF HAUSALAND![/size] angry angry angry angry

I was going to reply to your comment and discovered you are actually rude to most people here.
Now, I feel sorry for your bitter soul!

What determines offense is sometimes context and not primarily the word. I guess if I call you a brown skinned man, you will also find a way to feel offended. Are you Arab then?

1 Like

Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:26pm On Nov 19, 2012
shymexx:

Bwahahahahahaha

Your people are an off-shoot of the Nubians - take it, or leave it... grin

And you're an Afro-asiatic black man!

However, you should be ashamed of being Hausa - the same Hausa cowards who were soundly defeated by the Fulani Jihadists and subsequently enslaved(to date)... Hausas lost their culture and identity to the Fulanis smh.... undecided

I am Maguzawa Hausa. we still retain every bit of our ancient culture and religious traditions. we never accepted slavery from anyone. we ractice our religion in the epicentre of boko haram region. I am 100% Proud to be Hausa.

you retar.d have no idea of what actually happened. we fought back but as in any war , 1 side always has to lose. the Fulani won this time, though they did lose a few battles against us here and there.

SO DONT CALL US COWARDS IF YOU DONT KNOW OUR HISTORY!

useless offshoot of colonial slave masters that is what you are. go worship your hippie man-God.
Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:29pm On Nov 19, 2012
76Naira:

I was going to reply to your comment and discovered you are actually rude to most people here.
Now, I feel sorry for your bitter soul!

What determines offense is sometimes context and not primarily the word. I guess if I call you a brown skinned man, you will also find a way to feel offended. Are you Arab then?

i was offensive to this person because he dared to bring my tribe in between for no reason whatsoever and to insult our ancestry and heritage by calling us subsidery to another culture.

OFcourse i would take offense. infact i would think you are mental to be so obsessed with my skin colour. it is like you have a fetish for my skin! angry tongue

I am Chadic Sahelian.
Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by 76Naira(m): 10:43pm On Nov 19, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

i was offensive to this person because he dared to bring my tribe in between for no reason whatsoever and to insult our ancestry and heritage by calling us subsidery to another culture.

OFcourse i would take offense. infact i would think you are mental to be so obsessed with my skin colour. it is like you have a fetish for my skin! angry tongue

I am Chadic Sahelian.

You may claim to be anything you like, but for sure you do not sound like the graceful Nubians I met in Khartoum. You are actually very far away in character.
Goodbye and enjoy the chat room.
Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by Nobody: 10:59pm On Nov 19, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

I am Maguzawa Hausa. we still retain every bit of our ancient culture and religious traditions. we never accepted slavery from anyone. we ractice our religion in the epicentre of boko haram region. I am 100% Proud to be Hausa.

you retar.d have no idea of what actually happened. we fought back but as in any war , 1 side always has to lose. the Fulani won this time, though they did lose a few battles against us here and there.

SO DONT CALL US COWARDS IF YOU DONT KNOW OUR HISTORY!

useless offshoot of colonial slave masters that is what you are. go worship your hippie man-God.

Your people were soundly defeated by the Fulanis and it's still the most one-sided battle ever fought because they ran over you lot like the Nazis did the French... And they still lord over the Hausas to date(Emirs etc..)...

I'm utterly ashamed of the formerly great Hausa tribe and their achievements before the Fulani invasion - your ancestors built great civilisations reminiscent of the great kingdoms of: Mali, Songhay, Ghana, and Nubia.... Hausas are a direct off-shoot of the Nubians and you both fall under the same linguistic group(Afro-asiatic/semitic)... grin

I'm an Asiatic black man(original man) and I don't worship no blonde-hair having god, I worship the God of the black race... wink
Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by tpia1: 11:50pm On Nov 19, 2012
The term black in america encompasses much more than colour.

Its used for the people who are direct descendants of subsaharan africa and many of who were transported via the atlantic slave trade to the western hemisphere.

Someone whose ancestors werent enslaved in this manner, might not necessarily qualify to fit that description even though his skin tone matches that of the negro.

Meaning if your ancestors werent slaves, it doesnt follow that you're automatically black just because you come from africa.

You're african, yes, but black is a bit debatable.

However, anyone can be black if they feel like it, just splitting hairs here.
Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by tpia1: 11:53pm On Nov 19, 2012
Besides, quite a lot of blacks are mixed with one thing or another ( melting pot) and i doubt nubians are exactly the same.

They seem to have preserved their heritage quite well, unless there's arab or bedoiun in there somewhere.
Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by Nobody: 12:12am On Nov 20, 2012
tpia1: The term black in america encompasses much more than colour.

Its used for the people who are direct descendants of subsaharan africa and many of who were transported via the atlantic slave trade to the western hemisphere.

Someone whose ancestors werent enslaved in this manner, might not necessarily qualify to fit that description even though his skin tone matches that of the negro.

Meaning if your ancestors werent slaves, it doesnt follow that you're automatically black just because you come from africa.

You're african, yes, but black is a bit debatable.

However, anyone can be black if they feel like it, just splitting hairs here.

It would have made more sense if you had limited yourself to the topic of this discussion.
But since you have chosen to venture off track yet again, without providing any relevant references, let me help.

The yr 2000 US population census was derived using the racial categories outlined (further) below.
Now without breaking sweat, do you see how erroneous your assumptions are?

Source: U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 Census of Population, Public Law 94-171 Redistricting Data File. Updated every 10 years.

Definition:
The concept of race as used by the Census Bureau reflects self-identification by people according to the race or races with which they most closely identify. These categories are sociopolitical constructs and should not be interpreted as being scientific or anthropological in nature. Furthermore, the race categories include both racial and national-origin groups.

The racial classifications used by the Census Bureau adhere to the October 30,1997, Federal Register Notice entitled,"Revisions to the Standards for the Classification of Federal Data on Race and Ethnicity" issued by the Office of Management and Budget (OMB).

White. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa. It includes people who indicate their race as "White" or report entries such as Irish, German, Italian, Lebanese, Near Easterner, Arab, or Polish.

Black or African American. A person having origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa. It includes people who indicate their race as "Black, African Am., or Negro," or provide written entries such as African American, Afro American, Kenyan, Nigerian, or Haitian.

American Indian and Alaska Native. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of North and South America (including Central America) and who maintain tribal affiliation or community attachment.

Asian. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, or the Indian subcontinent including, for example, Cambodia, China, India, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Pakistan, the Philippine Islands, Thailand, and Vietnam. It includes "Asian Indian," "Chinese," "Filipino," "Korean," "Japanese," "Vietnamese," and "Other Asian."

Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Hawaii, Guam, Samoa, or other Pacific Islands. It includes people who indicate their race as "Native Hawaiian," "Guamanian or Chamorro," "Samoan," and "Other Pacific Islander."

Some other race. Includes all other responses not included in the "White", "Black or African American", "American Indian and Alaska Native", "Asian" and "Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander" race categories described above. Respondents providing write-in entries such as multiracial, mixed, interracial, Wesort, or a Hispanic/Latino group (for example, Mexican, Puerto Rican, or Cuban) in the "Some other race" category are included here.

Two or more races. People may have chosen to provide two or more races either by checking two or more race response check boxes, by providing multiple write-in responses, or by some combination of check boxes and write-in responses.

Comparability. The data on race in Census 2000 are not directly comparable to those collected in previous censuses.

The concept of race is separate from the concept of Hispanic origin. Percentages for the various race categories add to 100 percent, and should not be combined with the percent Hispanic. Tallies that show race categories for Hispanics and nonHispanics separately are also available.

Scope and Methodology:

The data on race were derived from answers to the question on race that was asked of all people in Census 2000.
Source
Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by tpia1: 12:19am On Nov 20, 2012
What's your point or is it question.
Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by Nobody: 12:34am On Nov 20, 2012
tpia1: What's your point or is it question.

My point is that you appear to be making matter-of-fact statements without providing useful references.
Whereas most commentators on this thread have taken a stand one way or the other, you simply appear to be going round in circles making contradictory statements in every post.

"I've met a few nubians (i think) and i really wouldnt call them black, per se."

"i think this black thing is more of an american phenomenon, since its classified sort of differently in europe."

"if you call a nubian black, would you also call them negro?"

"if your ancestors werent slaves, it doesnt follow that you're automatically black just because you come from africa."

Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by tpia1: 12:58am On Nov 20, 2012
My post is clear enough.

You're the one trying to force everything into black and white.

Its not always that clearcut.

1 Like

Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by Horus(m): 1:01am On Nov 20, 2012

Nubian Woman

Nubian Woman

Meroe (Sudan)

Meroe in Shendi – (Sudan) is an ancient Nubian city that dates as far back as 300 B.C. The ancient city’s most prominent landmarks are some two hundred  pyramids still standing within the city. Kingdom of Kush or Cush was an ancient African state centered on the confluences of the Blue Nile, White Nile and River Atbara in what is now the Republic of Sudan. It was one of the earliest civilizations to develop in the Nile River Valley. Having also been referred to as Nubia

Meroë ancient Nubian city of the Kingdom of Kush

[img]http://swaymag.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Nubia_pyramids-of-Meroe.jpg[/img]

Nubian Pyramids (Meroe)

[img]http://www.tumblr.com/photo/1280/kilele/1159207550/1/tumblr_l92rv732pv1qdcass[/img]

Nubian Pyramids (Meroe)

2 Likes

Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by Nobody: 1:09am On Nov 20, 2012
tpia1: My post is clear enough.

You're the one trying to force everything into black and white.

Its not always that clearcut.

It is a load of waffle and you know it!
What is more, like the other cantankerous fellow here you are no respecter of peoples' rights.
I say this because there is little doubt that you see anything wrong with trampling on Dr Hefney's wishes.

I put up information on the categories used in the US census, to demonstrate that the concept of race is supposed to be based on self-identification - at least in theory.
With this in mind, I had half-expected you to ponder some of the reasons this man was denied his inalienable right. It is now obvious, though, that I had expected too much from someone who clearly treats the issue of racial identity with levity.

2 Likes

Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by MrsChima(f): 9:20pm On Sep 02, 2013
Hmm.
Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by Nobody: 2:55pm On Sep 08, 2013
Horus:

Nubian Woman

Nubian Woman

Meroe (Sudan)

Meroe in Shendi – (Sudan) is an ancient Nubian city that dates as far back as 300 B.C. The ancient city’s most prominent landmarks are some two hundred  pyramids still standing within the city. Kingdom of Kush or Cush was an ancient African state centered on the confluences of the Blue Nile, White Nile and River Atbara in what is now the Republic of Sudan. It was one of the earliest civilizations to develop in the Nile River Valley. Having also been referred to as Nubia

Meroë ancient Nubian city of the Kingdom of Kush

[img]http://swaymag.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Nubia_pyramids-of-Meroe.jpg[/img]

Nubian Pyramids (Meroe)

[img]http://www.tumblr.com/photo/1280/kilele/1159207550/1/tumblr_l92rv732pv1qdcass[/img]

Nubian Pyramids (Meroe)

Copied smiley
Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by Nobody: 2:58pm On Sep 08, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

Interesting picture lol

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tribal Marks Across Africa / Osole Owo Todaju / I Never Said Benin Owned Lagos – Oba Akiolu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.