Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,254 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:46 AM

Gene Can Predict Likely Time Of Death - Scientists - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Gene Can Predict Likely Time Of Death - Scientists (6241 Views)

Physicist Can Predict Wars Using Mathematical Algorithms / NASA Scientists Finds Message From God On Planet Mars / Google Search Terms Can Predict Stock Market, Study Finds. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gene Can Predict Likely Time Of Death - Scientists by youngies(m): 6:03am On Nov 20, 2012
Genetic "switches" determine much about our bodies, including hair color, blood type, and susceptibility to certain diseases. Now, researchers believe they have found a gene that regulates something far more eerie: the time of day a person is likely to die.

In an study published in the November 2012 issue of the Annals of Neurology scientists studying the body's biological clock (a.k.a. the circadian rhythm) report the discovery of gene variant that not only determines the likelihood of your being a morning person, but also predicts, with unsettling accuracy, your likely time of death.

The gene typically allows for three possible combinations of nucleotides (the four molecular building blocks of DNA): adenine-adenine (A-A), adenine-guanine (A-G), and guanine-guanine (G-G), according to a written statement released by Harvard Medical School.

"This particular genotype affects the sleep-wake pattern of virtually everyone walking around," Dr. Clifford Saper, chief of neurology at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston, wrote in the statement. "And it is a fairly profound effect so that the people who have the A-A genotype wake up about an hour earlier than the people who have the G-G genotype, and the A-Gs wake up almost exactly in the middle."

Moreover, investigators realized as some of the 1,200 older subjects in the project died that these nucleotide sequences were accurate predictors of their time of death, within a range of only a few hours. Patients with the A-A and A-G genotypes typically died just before 11 a.m., while subjects with the G-G combination tended to die near 6 p.m.

"So there is really a gene that predicts the time of day that you’ll die. Not the date, fortunately, but the time of day," said Saper.

The Atlantic reports researchers believe their results may be due to the human body reverting to its more natural, circadian rhythm-induced state as death approaches, instead of the cycle created by social commitments.

More: http://channelkoos.com/index.php/news/3086-time-a-person-will-die-can-now-be-predicted-down-to-hour-gene-researchers shocked
Re: Gene Can Predict Likely Time Of Death - Scientists by kodewrita(m): 7:42am On Nov 20, 2012
And what if you get hit by a car before your EDT(Expected Death Timestamp)? undecided

1 Like

Re: Gene Can Predict Likely Time Of Death - Scientists by benedictjohn(m): 8:59am On Nov 20, 2012
grin shocked cheesy

1 Like

Re: Gene Can Predict Likely Time Of Death - Scientists by MadCow1: 9:00am On Nov 20, 2012
.Okay...

Now the question is if I would like to know when I will die?!
Re: Gene Can Predict Likely Time Of Death - Scientists by Bisjosh(f): 9:02am On Nov 20, 2012
SMH!!!!! undecided
Re: Gene Can Predict Likely Time Of Death - Scientists by PapaBrowne(m): 9:07am On Nov 20, 2012
kodewrita: And what if you get hit by a car before your EDT(Expected Death Timestamp)? undecided

Exactly my thought. These scientists sef ehn! I call it the declining act of over-intelligence. You get so intellingent that you start getting so stupid.

Sleep Wake pattern. The last I checked, I wake up early when I sleep early and wake up late when I sleep late.

5 Likes

Re: Gene Can Predict Likely Time Of Death - Scientists by Sunymoore(m): 9:09am On Nov 20, 2012
This space is reserve for my future children to check their ttime of death. Cause i know before then the probability of been hit by a car or murdered will be known. Chaiii we scientist are entering God's enviroment

2 Likes

Re: Gene Can Predict Likely Time Of Death - Scientists by miteolu(m): 9:09am On Nov 20, 2012
What about death through accident
Re: Gene Can Predict Likely Time Of Death - Scientists by jabanz(m): 9:10am On Nov 20, 2012
SMH....
Re: Gene Can Predict Likely Time Of Death - Scientists by iamswizz(m): 9:15am On Nov 20, 2012
How can i check mine??.. So i'll know how many gals to lash before.....
Re: Gene Can Predict Likely Time Of Death - Scientists by johndavid1(m): 9:16am On Nov 20, 2012
Mad Cow: .Okay...

Now the question is if I would like to know when I will die?!
Abi na d real koko b dat my broda bcoz even if dem tell u say na next 5 years ur life will never b as it use to be anymore coz ur nw waiting 4 Mr death 2 come pick U
Re: Gene Can Predict Likely Time Of Death - Scientists by kpozite(m): 9:19am On Nov 20, 2012
Useless research waste of money, time and valuable resources anyway they have it in abundance so no problem.
Re: Gene Can Predict Likely Time Of Death - Scientists by Nobody: 9:21am On Nov 20, 2012
Scientists bu ndi ara...i thought they are objective and rational beings. How dare they say a gene can predict ur time of death? What nonsense... Wait o! On a 2nd thought,this might be true. I mean awesome discoveries in the past were considered nonsense and a sin.now we enjoy their benefits. Who knws if in the near future,people will become aware of their time of death via genes??
Re: Gene Can Predict Likely Time Of Death - Scientists by kpozite(m): 9:22am On Nov 20, 2012
miteolu: What about death through accident
Even poison and witchcraft nko?
Re: Gene Can Predict Likely Time Of Death - Scientists by vislabraye(m): 9:41am On Nov 20, 2012
If the person commits suicide nko?
I read this findings yesterday and I laughed.
Re: Gene Can Predict Likely Time Of Death - Scientists by Frostyzone(m): 9:42am On Nov 20, 2012
Load of crap.
Re: Gene Can Predict Likely Time Of Death - Scientists by LightSon(m): 10:00am On Nov 20, 2012
Guys, please read and understand before replying. The research was about time (am or pm) of death not date (day, week, month or year) of death.

1 Like

Re: Gene Can Predict Likely Time Of Death - Scientists by pcnwamadi(m): 10:27am On Nov 20, 2012
PapaBrowne:

Exactly my thought. These scientists sef ehn! I call it the declining act of over-intelligence. You get so intellingent that you start get so stupid.

Sleep Wake pattern. The last I checked, I wake up early when I sleep early and wake up late when I sleep late.

GBAM.. U ve said it all..
Re: Gene Can Predict Likely Time Of Death - Scientists by Originalsly: 10:34am On Nov 20, 2012
Hmm...so if I have the 6pm death gene and am still alive at 8pm then am good for another day. Can you imagine the priests setting up their schedules to go pray for people before they die? .."Ehmm....lady...is his death gene A,G or S?... you said A?..ok...I"ll be at his beside before sunrise tomorrow...he's good for tonight"

1 Like

Re: Gene Can Predict Likely Time Of Death - Scientists by Bezed(m): 10:58am On Nov 20, 2012
i wonder why grown ups cant read in between lines be4 commenting, the research team stated it clearly that it is 'time of death' in the day, like the hour, not the date as in the month or year.. And like every scientific rule or law, with this one not an exception, it is usually in an ideal condition, in other words, time of death when some one dies a natural death not pre-, like that of accidents

2 Likes

Re: Gene Can Predict Likely Time Of Death - Scientists by DonaldGenes(m): 11:42am On Nov 20, 2012
Jusp passinq
Re: Gene Can Predict Likely Time Of Death - Scientists by Nnaemiemax: 11:49am On Nov 20, 2012
i really cant understand why some people find it so difficult to comprehend the salient points of this article...
I hold my grounds that this scientific analysis is absolutely devoid of any ambiguity!!!
Re: Gene Can Predict Likely Time Of Death - Scientists by phermonyx(m): 1:07pm On Nov 20, 2012
What if boko haram boiz bomb Ʊ or if ALUU pple catch Ʊ stealing?

Bt seriously, dis kinda discovery usually work in an ideal situation or what d economists call ceteris paribus(all tinz being equal).
Re: Gene Can Predict Likely Time Of Death - Scientists by MMM2(m): 1:19pm On Nov 20, 2012
Not interested
Re: Gene Can Predict Likely Time Of Death - Scientists by kabaka1: 1:21pm On Nov 20, 2012
kodewrita: And what if you get hit by a car before your EDT(Expected Death Timestamp)? undecided

U should know better, the only thing that applies here is a natural death like death old age and by disease not something like by accident, murder or suicide.
Re: Gene Can Predict Likely Time Of Death - Scientists by kodewrita(m): 4:19pm On Nov 20, 2012
kabaka1:

U should know better, the only thing that applies here is a natural death like death old age and by disease not something like by accident, murder or suicide.
I am not disputing the veracity of their results, I am trying to highlight its pointlessness in general life. ( and also being a troll for the fun of it).

1 Like

Re: Gene Can Predict Likely Time Of Death - Scientists by realsammie(m): 5:11pm On Nov 20, 2012
most of una go dey form graduate but know nothing. scientific reserch wether u like it or not have made the world a better place. most things we enjoy now is through reserch which was carried out a long time & i guess by then pple like u were also laughing at the reserchers.
Re: Gene Can Predict Likely Time Of Death - Scientists by chreldb(m): 6:00pm On Nov 20, 2012
WTF is this load of junk!!! This is a mockery of science angry angry. is using the terms nucleotides and genotype supposed to give credibility to this nonsense? angry Even the title of the topic says a lot about its stewpidity. "Gene can predict likely time of death". Who is gene? a human being or a fortune teller? tongue Anybody well grounded in molecular biology or the mechanisms of gene expression and its relationship to protein production as well as the hereditary function of DNA will know this is just rubbish. Abeg let me rest my case.
Re: Gene Can Predict Likely Time Of Death - Scientists by Goddys(m): 6:54pm On Nov 20, 2012
The problem we have in this country is lack of understanding.I was extremely bamboozled that none of you comprehend the points the write up is elucidating.The write up does not include the time of death caused by social phenomena as determinable rather it stresses that the time of death(caused by natural occurrences) is determinable based on the aforementioned genes.To me,this write up is a fact.As a professional philosopher,I observed through critical thinking and adept observation that every human being on earth has a particular time,he/she gets overly agitated to pursue his/her goal in life.To some,it may be in the morning,others at noon,and to another in the midnight.The above write up is stressing that all these eruptions are caused by the aforementioned genes.From their experiments,they discovered that these genes play important roles on when the body finally separate from the incoporeal soul.This is an undeniable possibilty.Thanks
Re: Gene Can Predict Likely Time Of Death - Scientists by chreldb(m): 7:31pm On Nov 20, 2012
Goddys: The problem we have in this country is lack of understanding.I was extremely bamboozled that none of you comprehend the points the write up is elucidating.The write up does not include the time of death caused by social phenomena as determinable rather it stresses that the time of death(caused by natural occurrences) is determinable based on the aforementioned genes.To me,this write up is a fact.As a professional philosopher,I observed through critical thinking and adept observation that every human being on earth has a particular time,he/she gets overly agitated to pursue his/her goal in life.To some,it may be in the morning,others at noon,and to another in the midnight.The above write up is stressing that all these eruptions are caused by the aforementioned genes.From their experiments,they discovered that these genes play important roles on when the body finally separate from the incoporeal soul.This is an undeniable possibilty.Thanks

It is not enough evidence scientifically to conclude that due to polymorphism of a gene a certain trait (in this case sleeping time) is being expressed differently in organisms. It can only exist as a hypothesis or observation for now. Just a few questions: What post translational factors does that gene encode? What are the differences in these translated proteins transcribed from the different gene polymorphisms? In what cells are these genes expressed? what are the signalling mechanisms from those proteins that bring about the cellular functions that derives those sleeping and death time traits? Many more questions to be asked. I get your point though but there is still a lot of questions that need to be answered and the scientists should have done their research thoroughly before making their findings public. Anyways maybe they just published for the sake of accumulating more papers.
Re: Gene Can Predict Likely Time Of Death - Scientists by murtalaa(m): 10:33pm On Nov 20, 2012
Bezed: i wonder why grown ups cant read in between lines be4 commenting, the research team stated it clearly that it is 'time of death' in the day, like the hour, not the date as in the month or year.. And like every scientific rule or law, with this one not an exception, it is usually in an ideal condition, in other words, time of death when some one dies a natural death not pre-, like that of accidents

my brother they just want you to swallow this one first and you can guess what follows next
Re: Gene Can Predict Likely Time Of Death - Scientists by Evansedos: 4:37am On Nov 21, 2012
our life is not in the blood neither in the gene, our life is not rule my the senses of this world...

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Crude Oil/Petroleum Is Refined / See Rare & Very Ugly Goat Found In Anambra, What Breed Is This? (Graphic Photos) / Tobacco Plant DOES NOT Repel Snakes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.